canon 60d owners thread

Have you held either of them? There is a totally different feel. I think if you got the 650D you'd always be a little bit disappointed.

Also, I'd say very important is a speed light. I just got the EX430 II and I absolutely love it. Totally transforms your indoor photography.

I have held the 60D yeh and I liked the feel of it. Never held the 650 no but plan on doing so when I go to the camera shop.

There won't be much difference if any to the quality of photos from each camera will there?

The 60D appeals more as it is a camera I think I could grow in to more and will last longer before wanting to upgrade.

The touch screen on the 650 is probably a nice addition but doesnt really scream 'buy me' just because of that feature.

While I love my 60D the 650D does have the new digic5 processor and from some quick testing in a shop the higher ISO capabilities do seem markedly better if that makes any difference. I still prefer the advantages of the tougher body, top LCD screen, much superior battery life, and a variety of other advantages personally though...

Can i nip in and ask a question?

Would the 60D be a nice upgrade from a 550D? I know it has some nice feachers. Just need some good advice. Thanks

Raincloud said:
Can i nip in and ask a question?

Would the 60D be a nice upgrade from a 550D? I know it has some nice feachers. Just need some good advice. Thanks

I had the 550D and the 60D is a whole lot more camera!!

The 60D is a nice upgrade for sure.

I upgraded from a 400D earlier this year, and over 10000 images later I'm still loving taking it out and shooting.

In the hand it's not too big and handles low light very well. I shoot a lot of events indoors and often have to push the higher ISO to get the shot.

I've paired it with a few lenses and all work well
17-85
50mm 1.8
50mm 1.4
55-250
60mm 2.8
Sigma 20mm

My next lens purchase will be 24-70L, as I shoot at these ranges more than top or bottom end of my 17-85

Thanks for the replies. Pondering about selling the 550D for a 60D. I see that MPB are a good company to buy and sell with so will do a bit more research

Raincloud said:
Thanks for the replies. Pondering about selling the 550D for a 60D. I see that MPB are a good company to buy and sell with so will do a bit more research

If your looking for a straight cash purchase in UK try systembits on ebay - that's where I got mine.
If your local to MK you can collect.

Upgraded from a 450d aswell.. seems like the natural upgrade.. really impressed with the 60d :)

Got mine from procamerashop.co.uk great service and great deal :)

Pete

ok, tommorow I am going to jesops to hold both the 60d and the 650 to see how they feel.

Still leaning more towards the 60d at this point.

Just some advice please,

If I purchase the 60d I am interested in 2 lenses. The 15-85 and the 70-200 L non IS.

Eventually I will end up with both lenses but which would you suggest I buy first with the body. In general I will be taking family photos, my kids etc and just walking about to see which way my photography interest goes.

Or should I buy with a kit lens and learn more about the camera and my interests before investing in more lenses?

Or should I buy with a kit lens and learn more about the camera and my interests before investing in more lenses?

The 50mm F1.8 (nifty 50) is hardly ever off the front of mine. I like my kit 18-135 but you really can't beat this one for the money (approx £75-£100). Well worth considering

ElCapone said:
ok, tommorow I am going to jesops to hold both the 60d and the 650 to see how they feel.

Just some advice please,

If I purchase the 60d I am interested in 2 lenses. The 15-85 and the 70-200 L non IS.

Eventually I will end up with both lenses but which would you suggest I buy first with the body. In general I will be taking family photos, my kids etc and just walking about to see which way my photography interest goes.

If you are buying body only then I would go with the 15-85. If you are going with the kit ie body and kit lens 18-55 then stick with that for a while then upgrade the lens when you feel like it.

ElCapone said:

Just some advice please,

I'd go with the 60D & 18-135 kit, it covers a good focal length. Once you've had a good play then get the 70-200.
You don't want to be too restricted with too much focal distance and the same the the lower end (nifty fifty). The 18-135 is a good walkabout lens.

This is what I am undecided on.

Buy with kit 18-55 and maybe the 50mm 1.8 (upgrade kit lens in future when I am more used to the camera)

Buy body and buy the 15-85. I guess the 15-85 is more usefull as a walkabout lens than the 70-200.

What would you suggest are the main uses/topics of photography for the 70-200?

I did think about the 17-55 2.8 but I cant justify that price tag so early on in my learning process, however much I would like it.

Never really read any reviews on the 18-135. Not something I have really considered but I will now

Last edited:
ElCapone said:
Never really read any reviews on the 18-135. Not something I have really considered but I will now

Fantastic lens, I love it, a nice all rounder.

The 15-85 is, so I've heard a cracking lens and great for walkabout and general use. The 70-200 especially on a crop sensor is not going to be great for family photos imho.

If you decide you do want a tele lens why not get a cheap 2nd hand one, the 55-250 or 75-300 are both really cheap 2nd hand and you could probably resell on for a small loss if they're well cared for. Of course quality isn't on a pair with even the f4 70-200L, but then they're probably a third of the price :) I tend to use a tele for wildlife shots.

If money is tight, the 17-85 is a good compromise on the 15-85 (lacks some IQ).

The 17-55 f/2.8 is sweet; but it's too limiting by itself as a lens without other options. I use it for family snaps and night shots when a prime is too limiting.

Also remember Canon cashback is available on a huge range of things at the moment if you shop UK. I submitted a claim last night and it's alraedy "being processed" with a couple of emails.

Thanks for all of the advice folks, I really apreciate it.

Im going to be spending my night reading reviews on the 18-135 now.

Its an extra £100 over the 18-55 but does give more range.

Could probably treat myself to the nifty fifty along with this aswell.

Just one more question, if and when I do upgrade lens, is the 18-135 easy enough to sell on for a decent price?

When my wife bought me my 450d before the birth of our first baby it came with an 18-55 lens I didn't change this lens for 2 years and that was to a tamron 18-270 purely for the extra reach it was the worst thing I did, the hit rate with the tamron was so bad, I really rate the 18-55 as a good starting point either that or the tamron 17-50 which I've owned and liked a lot, I now pair my 60d with a 15-85 and it is without doubt a far superior lens than anything I have owned!!

Last edited:
I think the 15-85mm would make a better first lens with the 60d than the 70-200mm as it is such a good allrounder with great IQ. I could never justify buying a wide angle lens for my uses, but I enjoy having the extra width at the 15mm end.
As to what you would use the 70-200mm for - I use mine to take action shots of my dogs, but it also takes great portrait shots when you have enough room eg at the beach.

I have never used the 18-135mm but it is also worth a look at.

Interesting to see what you think of the 60d compared to the 650d

well that was disapointing, 100 mile round trip and they didnt have the 60d in store.

Got to hold the 650 tho

well that was disapointing, 100 mile round trip and they didnt have the 60d in store.

Got to hold the 650 tho

i popped in jessops cardiff today and had a feel oof the 60d and 650d.they where both very nice cameras but the 60d felt a lot better in my hands than the 650d.

im definatley getting a 60d soon:):)

bleddyn

the 650 is a nice camera , but its got D buttons rather than a scroll wheel on the back which impedes hanndling a lot - xxD is a lot better in handling terms (either a 60 or a low activations pre loved 50 )

yeh, I have held the 60d in the past. Probably a year ago now, just wanted to refresh my memory.

My mind is made up on that front, I will soon be a proud owner of a 60d.

Just to say, Jessops were helpfull. They found a store for me which had the 60d in stock and gave me directions etc.

Unfortunately the wife and kids were getting a little impatient, so we went to pizza hut instead lol.

I will just order the 60d via there website and get it home delivered.

Well it's nice to see a 60D thread,

I am a proud owner of a 60D but still learning more about photographic world,

I have
18-135mm lens i love this lens and use it most of the time out and about,
50mm MKII a very nice lens to work with very sharp in pictures but needs a steady hand.
55-250mm only sometime i use it but it's a nice lens value for money (Don't vs it to an 'L' lens)

I just can't find the time to learn more

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just given my dad my 60D, nifty fifty and Sigma 105. To say he's chuffed is an understatement! It's a nice camera indeed. My only irritation was that I often had noise issues with it, which were very hard to process. The flip out screen was ace, and daft as it sounds I actually miss not having that on my 5dmk3. It was VERY handy.

I will just order the 60d via there website and get it home delivered.

Check quidco too, I got ~£30 back from my 60D and that was collect from store Jessops.

Personally always pretty happy with their service, but it does vary from store to store. I had one friend who ordered ~£2.5k and they lost the order.

[Edit] - Don't forget Canon cashback if you get any applicable lenses, the 15-85 is on there.

Last edited:
Im looking to buy a new lens this year and was considering the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Im looking for an almost general lens to reduce the need to carry a couple in my bag. The issue I have is I like to take a wide variety of pictures. (I have a canon 60d).

Any advice would be great.

chrisrrrrrr said:
Im looking to buy a new lens this year and was considering the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Im looking for an almost general lens to reduce the need to carry a couple in my bag. The issue I have is I like to take a wide variety of pictures. (I have a canon 60d).

Only problem with that lens is that it won't be very wide on the 60D's cropped sensor. You might be better confiding a 17-40 or something along those lines. What lenses do you have currently?

The EF-S 17-55 IS is a fantastic lens - well worth a look.

chrisrrrrrr said:

The 18-135 is a fantastic all rounder and because of this I use it over my 24-105.

The 18-135 is also reasonably priced :)

Just wandering if people change the picture style setting i.e portrait ,landscape ect or do you mainly keep it on standard! Does it make much difference?

Just wandering if people change the picture style setting i.e portrait ,landscape ect or do you mainly keep it on standard! Does it make much difference?

What's 'standard'? I shoot on AV 90% of the time and manual 9%, probably use TV for the the 1%. I think a large proportion superglue manual mode in :)

As long as you have a reasonable understanding of how everything works I don't see much point in using auto modes, personally. But I use AV because it allows me to shoot fast without having to worry too much about exposure.

Picture styles is the in built camera Jpeg conversion so you are using it in any mode unless you shoot raw!

I've been told that faithful is the most natural and has no sharpening! But I will admit I've only ever left mine in standard and haven't played with it much!

Will say I love my 60D though and it's only of the nicest cameras I've owned when it comes to how it feels in the hand! It's just comfy and well laid out!

Must get out with it more though!

Thanks I usually always shoot in av mode and only ever change the picture mode to black and white! Just wondered if anybody used the other styles! It appears not!!

mines been on manual since i had it so coming upto a year now, far more freedom to get what as for picture mode i shoot raw so makes no dif to me

does anybody use the 60D with the 17-55 2.8, if so do they go well together?

Calumet are offering that package for £300 less than what jessops were.

I presume its that lens, on calumet site it just says 17-55.

does anybody use the 60D with the 17-55 2.8, if so do they go well together?

Calumet are offering that package for £300 less than what jessops were.

I presume its that lens, on calumet site it just says 17-55.

I have used that combo briefly, borrowing a friends 17-55 IS. They work very very well together. If I wasn't using primes and wasn't considering full frame that's the lens I'd go for.

Thanks for the reply SixToes, appreciate it. It gets some great reviews, some mention dust problems though.

Can someone confirm that Calumet would be meaning this lens as all they say is 17-55. I presume there are no other 17-55 canon lenses. Just seems like a great price they are offering it for

Back