canon 60d owners thread

indeed, i hate the snobbery of unless its a £2k+ canon l lens its rubbish as its not true.

That was shot at 7.1

indeed, i hate the snobbery of unless its a £2k+ canon l lens its rubbish as its not true.

That was shot at 7.1

Anyone that says that sort of thing needs a slap. Sure you can get better lenses when you spend more, but it's certainly not a rule of thumb. A LOT of people use Sigma lenses that are cheaper than Canon but are very good quality. Plus there are a LOT of Canon lenses under £2000 that are fantastic, like the 85L, 35L, 100L. 70-200F4, 2.8 (etc). LOADS of lenses under £2000.

The only exception I can think of where Sigma is more expensive is the 50mm 1.4 where Sigma's lens costs more but it's newer and better than the Canon alternative :)

Last edited:
i agree but the amount of people you hear say it is unreal, i do the photos for Paul Hinson who won last years MR2 championships in the 750MC and i had one random joe come up and say

"ooh, what make is that lens then?"

i reply

"sigma 500mm"

He comes back with

"not very good compared to a Nikon or canon lens that mate"

I say

"and what makes you think that then and where is your camera?"

So he just says

"ah i just know mate, ive got a top of the range nikon at home and its much better quality."

ok then well p*ss off i thought seen as im the one being paid and your not.

Some people, unreal the rubbish people talk and for no reason too!

dalegt4 said:
i agree but the amount of people you hear say it is unreal, i do the photos for Paul Hinson who won last years MR2 championships in the 750MC and i had one random joe come up and say

"ooh, what make is that lens then?"

i reply

"sigma 500mm"

He comes back with

"not very good compared to a Nikon or canon lens that mate"

I say

"and what makes you think that then and where is your camera?"

So he just says

"ah i just know mate, ive got a top of the range nikon at home and its much better quality."

ok then well p*ss off i thought seen as im the one being paid and your not.

Some people, unreal the rubbish people talk and for no reason too!

A lot if people forget the 3rd component required to take good pictures. The person behind the viewfinder pressing the button. Yes you can spend money on tuition etc, but it takes time and an element of artistic imagination (which can't be bought).
How does the phrase go? A poor workman..... :)

I admit I have a long way to go, and I've seen great pictures taken with the kit lens. My view is by the best I can afford to do the job, then the only thing that stops the picture being great is the muppet holding the camera :-D

Just two of a Church near me in Welbourn , not edited or anything yet but love the grainy black white look on church etc

church2_zpsa427627e.jpg

church1_zps702383b2.jpg

Was at Cadwell doing some photos for the bikes today, unfortunately a bit of a novice day so nothing too exciting but i do love my 60D, its a superb camera got, 758 photos or so but just one that ive looked at so far.

Love the Canon / Sigma 500mm combo

IMG_6200_zps855197fd.jpg

New 60d owner. I've always had an SLR, but for some ridiculous reason I sold my 450D and lenses...... oh what a mistake!

Still, while browsing in Clifton Cameras the other week, the very helpful assistant showed me a used 60d from the window, soon as it was in my hand SOLD!

Looking forward to learning the camera.... just need to decide what lens to get now!

New 60d owner. I've always had an SLR, but for some ridiculous reason I sold my 450D and lenses...... oh what a mistake!

Still, while browsing in Clifton Cameras the other week, the very helpful assistant showed me a used 60d from the window, soon as it was in my hand SOLD!

Looking forward to learning the camera.... just need to decide what lens to get now!

It's hard to say what you are going to use the camera for? 15-85mm is a nice lens, EF 24-105 IS USM better or 18-135mm for value:)

It's hard to say what you are going to use the camera for? 15-85mm is a nice lens, EF 24-105 IS USM better or 18-135mm for value:)

Will be using camera for a bit of everything really, think I'm going to look for a used 24-105 :)

benjamminj said:
Will be using camera for a bit of everything really, think I'm going to look for a used 24-105 :)

You may find the 24-105 may not be short enough for you on the 60D's crop sensor. You could go with the 17-55 and a 55-250 for the extra reach. The 55-250 while not a top end lens can produce some great results and is fairly cheap.

The 24mm on a crop is a bit lacking, but on the other hand the IQ on other lenses including the 17-55 just can't compare. Also, 17-55 needs stopping down to F4 for sharpness, though the 2.8 is useful and I think improves at least the center focus point.

Well, I've ordered the 17-55 2.8 today, I'm a bit worried about it not being long enough, but everywhere I look this lens gets highly talked about so what the hell - fingers crossed lol!

thinking of getting myself a 60d in a couple of weeks chaps, one question id like to ask is what its like at higher iso's (1600+):thinking:

Well, I've ordered the 17-55 2.8 today, I'm a bit worried about it not being long enough, but everywhere I look this lens gets highly talked about so what the hell - fingers crossed lol!
Don't worry, they're great. You won't regret it (y)

thinking of getting myself a 60d in a couple of weeks chaps, one question id like to ask is what its like at higher iso's (1600+):thinking:

They are superb i find, I am testing mine at present within testing conditions under harsh light and find it personally to be more than good.

With som pp I find 3200 is more than usuable, 1600 perfectly fine and if on smaller images, i.e not a huge print i would go so far as to say 6400 is usable too.

They are superb i find, I am testing mine at present within testing conditions under harsh light and find it personally to be more than good.

With som pp I find 3200 is more than usuable, 1600 perfectly fine and if on smaller images, i.e not a huge print i would go so far as to say 6400 is usable too.
In my experience 1600 is usually pretty good, 3200 is where it starts to break up but is sometimes OK, and 6400 is usually pretty poor. It does depend on what you're shooting though.

You will get some noise at 1600, but for a crop sensor it's pretty decent. I try to keep it at 800 or below where I wouldn't say there is any noise I've got 30sec exposures at 800 where the issue is the earth moving rather than noise.

These are 100% images, cropped to just a relative part of the image to fit on the 200k limits here. 1600 is pretty centred, the other is a bit to the left so loses some focus but it gives a good idea of noise.

IMG_3966x.jpg

IMG_2233x.jpg

IMG_3100x.jpg

Note these were jpegs taken at low noise reduction. You can probably clean them up a bit more off of raw images.

Nice one on the images :)

Like above shows, the noise isnt all that bad and if cleaned up and used on raw also produce perfectly usable images really.

I wouldnt want to use 6400 ever to be honest as detail is lacking and noise is prominant but i would be more than happy to shoot at 3200 then clean it up if needed.

I think it performs superb considering as above, its an crop sensor and a 18mp one at that.

but my general rule is as above on both my canon crops, keep it below 1600 and superb image quality

i shoot a lot of bands in dark and difficult conditions, hence why sometimes i might need to crank up my iso to give acceptable shutter speeds

I wouldnt want to use 6400 ever to be honest as detail is lacking and noise is prominant but i would be more than happy to shoot at 3200 then clean it up if needed.

+1 on this, I enabled the 12800 option (shows as H on the LCD) but it's terrible at any size. Emergency use only.

This is actually one area where the 650D looks to be an improvement from some in-store testing (online says it's not as good). I think the 7d mk ii or 70D will be a big improvement when it ships with, I assume, the new DIGIC5 chip. 2014 I guess.

On the way back from doing some photos today and the sun was going down so it seemed right to get a nice photo of the silhouette of the Vulcan with the sun going down, it looked nice if i do say so. :)

vulcan1222_zps2cc3df2b.jpg

Here is my pictures

Chinese dancing
Chinesedance_zps46de5fcc.jpg

Beach
_MG_3790_zps11bc6420.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well as the Red Arrows practice around our area I thought I would stop on the way home and take a few shots... heres just one to show that the 60D is just as capable of getting a high speed shot as a 7D is... :D

Hello Mr Pilot.

red3_zps47d5e83d.jpg

Anymore pictures? this thread is on the 4 page of the fourm it seems to be lost

Anymore pictures? this thread is on the 4 page of the fourm it seems to be lost

I have loooads and loads but dont want to annoy everyone with them. haha

the red arrows, I love this and its been a massive hit for me with people..

Sorry about the low res and small size but after having someone rip off and downlaoad one of my images i'm uploading smaller res files from now.:thumbsdown:

9f49caa9-91e4-4986-a5f8-2612b4bf5fb6_zps4106cde1.jpg

and another one, think they will fail the mot on the emissions
flyby21_zps35f8f36c.jpg

I seem to have a thing about frogmouths at the moment...

2013 11:38 AM by StephyB86, on Flickr

And some from seven a side rugby... The rugby ones are cropped right in and it was the first time I've ever taken photos of people playing sport!

2013 11:35 AM by StephyB86, on Flickr

2013 11:35 AM by StephyB86, on Flickr

All taken with the 60D and either 18-55 or 55-250 kit lenses.

Iv'e had the 60D for about 18 months now and still love it, and can't fault the IQ.
I use a sigma 17-70 OS lens and find its got a great range, and very sharp. Other lens are siggy, 10-20mm f4.5/5.6, nifty fifty,100mm macro, i did have the canon 70-200 f4l, but sold it for a tamron 70-300mm sp to get a bit more range, and another good lens for the money, fast as well with the usm focusing.

I have loooads and loads but dont want to annoy everyone with them. haha

the red arrows, I love this and its been a massive hit for me with people..

Sorry about the low res and small size but after having someone rip off and downlaoad one of my images i'm uploading smaller res files from now.:thumbsdown:

Nice pictures of the Red Arrows but what lens do you use;)

Nice pictures of the Red Arrows but what lens do you use;)

Multitude of ones fella as I usually take both my bodies with me when I am out and about.

Most of the time though I use the big 500mm for planes etc.

Why's that mate?

Multitude of ones fella as I usually take both my bodies with me when I am out and about.

Most of the time though I use the big 500mm for planes etc.

Why's that mate?

How many "Bodies" do you have:LOL:

500mm nice lens;)

I have a Canon 350 d camera and want to upgrade to either 600d or 60d canon what is the difference and can I use my lenses ?

yes you can use your lenses, the 60D is better built and handles better, but on the other hand it costs a lot more. You might also want to consider the 650D which sits between the two

I have a Canon 350 d camera and want to upgrade to either 600d or 60d canon what is the difference and can I use my lenses ?

I had the same dilemma last year and changed my 350D to a 60D, I felt all the 650D added was better focusing for video. Other than that the 60D felt a lot better to hold. The flip out screen is quite handy when taking pictures at unusual angles/heights. I also find the dial a lot easier to use than the buttons found on the xxxD range and yes your lenses will fit. With regards to price, there are some keen deals on the 60D because of the news pending on the 70D. At the momemnt WEX have it at £619, the 650D @ £529 and the 600D at £409. For me I would buy the 60D again.

Back