Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

So what's your overall opinion of the camera George. Unfair comparison though it is where do you see it in regard to the 1DX. I have my view but I'd be interested to hear yours.

...and your view, Gary???....

Just checked the AF point display on the pics on the camera and they all show it.

Have found that my 1.4 TC affects the AF adjustment more than a straight lens. On the 7D MkII my 500 front focuses slightly and is +5. Just tried it with my 1.4 and its back focusing slightly around - 3. Need to do a more accurate check with it but its there or there about.

...and your view, Gary???....

Well I have the same view as you George. A good back up for my 1DX. I think the ISO is good enough for 2000-2500. 10 FPS is fine. Gives a good choice of image.

AF is fine seems to track as well as my 5D3. I like the fact that you can set it up pretty much the same as the 1DX. I like the lever for jumping AF points, wish it was on the other bodies.

Image quality is pretty good but I've been using my 1DX to take the same pics and you can pick the 1DX pics without really trying. Buts that only to be expected.

Don't use video but its something I want to try. It seems quite sophisticated so will probably have the beating of me.

As you say battery life is pretty heavy. I've got a grip on mine and I've got 4 batteries for it. What I have done though is put 6AA eneloop rechargeables in the other holder and they will travel with the camera just in case.

I thinks it's good value for money and I'm glad I bought one.

Tell you what, Gary, I'm really looking forward to trying the new 100-400 with both bodies, if the Nikon experience of the 80-400 that they have is anything to go by, it could be a great light combo for travelling with.

I hear a lot of Nikon 200-400 lenses are being traded for their 80-400, though you lose a stop at the long end and the results I've seen are really good, I found the 2-400 plus extender a great sharp lens, but heck of a weight.

I'll be getting one, that's for sure.(a 100-400 mk2)

One of the reasons I wanted a good crop body again was to travel a bit lighter. Being able to put a 300 f4 or a 70-200 f2.8 on it and still have a decent reach is a big plus point.

I can see the advantage of the 100-400. Whether I could part with my 300 & 70-200 I'm not sure. The MkI 100-400 had a little it too much variable image quality at the long end although that is generally down to slightly misaligned front elements. A properly adjusted one is as good at 400 as 100.

Having said that I don't use my 300 & 70-200 very often so if its a good un I will probably hire one for a week before I make a commitment.

Just tried it with different lenses and they all show the point in red.

....I've just come home from shooting and all my lenses result in showing point and points in red squares in the LCD image reviews. You can switch that feature on or off via the Menu. Now for a cuppa and to check what I shot.

....I've just come home from shooting and all my lenses result in showing point and points in red squares in the LCD image reviews. You can switch that feature on or off via the Menu. Now for a cuppa and to check what I shot.

Thanks..

He has tried turning it on and off and it only appears to work with his sigma ......

Thanks..

He has tried turning it on and off and it only appears to work with his sigma ......

....Then we might assume it's a fault and it can be rectified under warranty? All four of my lenses are Canon L.

However, I wonder if the Sigma doesn't communicate such data to the 7D2. Perhaps the Sigma lens is too old to be compatible with Canon's brand new body.

....Then we might assume it's a fault and it can be rectified under warranty? All four of my lenses are Canon L.

However, I wonder if the Sigma doesn't communicate such data to the 7D2. Perhaps the Sigma lens is too old to be compatible with Canon's brand new body.

lol , the point is it doesn't work with his Canon lenses as it should even on L lenses

Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick, Martin - It's been a very busy day - My daughter is featured in an article in the Business section of The Sunday Times - She's only 23yo. Great photo of her too. Very proud dad!

Back on topic...............

Anyone using Kenko 1.4 DGX with their 7d2. Mine appears of overexpose about +1 stop.

....I happened to use my Kenko 1.4x DGX Pro 300 + Canon 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro + 7D Mark II the other day and saw no exposure problems but I'll specifically test it as soon as the opportunity arises.

Reports of issues with it on some Sigma lenses:

Last edited:
Last edited:
Went through my 600ish photos taken yesterday and all the shots taken with my Kenko 1.4 DGX extender are overexposed. I used it on my 300mmL and 400mmL as I've always done with good results on older bodies (600d, 50d). Took another test shot when I got home and the results were the same. I guess it's bye bye beloved Kenko. You did the job.

DSC_0079 by shaftina©tion, on Flickr

DSC_0078 by shaftina©tion, on Flickr

PS: I suspect it's because the Kenko don't report some of the settings (to help the old bodies AF) and confuses the new 7d2.

Last edited:
Went through my 600ish photos taken yesterday and all the shots taken with my Kenko 1.4 DGX extender are overexposed. I used it on my 300mmL and 400mmL as I've always done with good results on older bodies (600d, 50d). Took another test shot when I got home and the results were the same. I guess it's bye bye beloved Kenko. You did the job.

PS: I suspect it's because the Kenko don't report some of the settings (to help the old bodies AF) and confuses the new 7d2.

....I have the same Canon 300mm F/4L IS lens but wouldn't use a Kenko on that anyway as I also have a Canon 1.4x III Extender. I only use the Kenko 1.4x sometimes on my Canon 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro without any issues whether 70D or 7D2 body.

....I have the same Canon 300mm F/4L IS lens but wouldn't use a Kenko on that anyway as I also have a Canon 1.4x III Extender. I only use the Kenko 1.4x sometimes on my Canon 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro without any issues whether 70D or 7D2 body.
Is your Kenko the DGX model Robin?

Is your Kenko the DGX model Robin?

....Yes, a DGX.

I bought it after two other photographers I know had problem-free experiences of this exact extender with the same 100mm L lens I have. I obviously needed to feel confident that the combo would work before I bought it.

Right, for those clamouring for 7D2 images, here is a JPEG straight from the camera with no editing or cropping whatsoever....

Kawasaki VN900_0880 by RedRobin_05, on Flickr

Full size image: https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/15569952020/sizes/o/

Shot at ISO 1600 in Av-mode on monopod and I am very pleased with both the colours ('Faithful' Picture Style setting) and the tonal balance - sRGB, AWB.

What do you think?

Well I must admit it looks great, but of course the reduction in size from the full size to the above will always act as an automatic form of noise reduction.

But the full size image does obviously show noise but certainly well controlled and very livable with even though a bit is still obvious in the area above the saddle.

But the 99.995% of the population who don't know anything about pixel peeping would definitely say it's a great shot.

And certainly most of us on here could easily live with that kind of quality.

And put it through a modern day NR program it would be improved even more.

Canon certainly seem to have hit all the right buttons with this one.

DSC_0079 by shaftina©tion, on Flickr

DSC_0078 by shaftina©tion, on Flickr

Can't you simply dial in one stop of exposure compensation when you use the Kenko?

Seems a lot cheaper than getting rid of it.

Well I must admit it looks great, but of course the reduction in size from the full size to the above will always act as an automatic form of noise reduction.

But the full size image does obviously show noise but certainly well controlled and very livable with even though a bit is still obvious in the area above the saddle.

But the 99.995% of the population who don't know anything about pixel peeping would definitely say it's a great shot.

And certainly most of us on here could easily live with that kind of quality.

And put it through a modern day NR program it would be improved even more.

Canon certainly seem to have hit all the right buttons with this one.

....Agreed, and thanks for the feedback :)

I very intentionally posted a link to my full size original on Flickr so that folks here could inspect noise and voice their opinions. As you say, it could be easily sorted out with a noiseware filter etc before sharpening, hence making an ISO 1600 image shot on the 7D Mark II generally 'reliable'.

Even my ISO 16000 image I posted a link to in #276 could be sorted out with selected noise reduction to the background.

I think that we can begin to say that regarding the 7D Mark II, Canon is probably meeting our noise handling expectations. I look forward to being able to see and edit my RAW versions (when Apple and Adobe release 7D2 compatibility updates, as I don't want to do processing in DPP).

Last edited:
I just came across this....

Watched that yesterday, tbh I think you could take fantastic photos at that location with just about any camera. :)

....Yes, the location is particularly inspiring and the animals very co-operative! But what I got out of watching it was how potentially enabling the 7D Mark II is. It has a learning curve of course though and I'm still on the lower slopes.

Shutter count have just issued an update which supports the 7D2.

I seem to have a problem with my 7D mk2 and I wonder if a couple of you could try this and tell me if it's my camera or a firmware problem with all the cameras.

I set my review magnification to "actual size (from selected point)" so that when I press the "review" button then the "magnification" button it should show me the actual size enlargement FROM MY SELECTED FOCUS POINT (I'm shooting in spot or centre point mode)
Unfortunately, it always selects the centre point to magnify from.

I'd be interested to see if it's my camera or generic.

Checked my 1 Dx and it's fine, does what it says on the tin!!

Thanks!!

George.

I seem to have a problem with my 7D mk2 and I wonder if a couple of you could try this and tell me if it's my camera or a firmware problem with all the cameras.

I set my review magnification to "actual size (from selected point)" so that when I press the "review" button then the "magnification" button it should show me the actual size enlargement FROM MY SELECTED FOCUS POINT (I'm shooting in spot or centre point mode)
If I'm understanding you correctly, George, then I'm not seeing what you're describing. I've got the same setting for review magnification and if I use an off-centre focus point then that's what the image centres on when I hit the magnification button.

Bob

lol , the point is it doesn't work with his Canon lenses as it should even on L lenses
I read on another forum that focus points won't show if you have lens distortion correction enabled. Thus it works for Sigma lenses, which won't enjoy that feature, but not Canon.

I read on another forum that focus points won't show if you have lens distortion correction enabled. Thus it works for Sigma lenses, which won't enjoy that feature, but not Canon.

He had to do a factory reset to get it to come up..

I just tried it and it doesn't show up.

Wonder if it is a bug or a feature...

Thanks

If I'm understanding you correctly, George, then I'm not seeing what you're describing. I've got the same setting for review magnification and if I use an off-centre focus point then that's what the image centres on when I hit the magnification button.

Bob

Mine is working as expected as well

Thanks Martin and Bob, hmm, will have to have a good play over the weekend....and another thing, I set my review display time for 4 secs, and find on a random basis it isn't showing up at all. This definitely sounds faulty to me but again, I'd appreciate it if anyone else has this problem...if I set the review time to 8 secs it seems fine....another thing to try tomorrow.

Might have been made on a Friday???

I'd be interested to see if it's my camera or generic.

Checked my 1 Dx and it's fine, does what it says on the tin!!

Thanks!!

George.

George. It magnifies from the point that achieved focus as far as im aware. unless it was focused manually then its from the centre.

George. It magnifies from the point that achieved focus as far as im aware. unless it was focused manually then its from the centre.
Yup, Gary, I think I've got a problem, may try a total reset, but not optimistic....thanks guys, the advantage of a good forum....

Back