Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

Last edited:
So looking at these where do you think the MkII tops out at usable ISO?

So looking at these where do you think the MkII tops out at usable ISO?

I have been shooting at 1600 and like the results. I wouldn't like shooting my 7d at 800 tbh.

I will try some at 3200 and see what I think as the fabric test shows some very nice detail held.

From the very limited chance I've had to use it I think that 2000-2500 might be its top end. Which would be fine for me. I rarely shoot below 800 even in good light.

I have been shooting at 1600 and like the results. I wouldn't like shooting my 7d at 800 tbh.

I will try some at 3200 and see what I think as the fabric test shows some very nice detail held.

....Depending on how you like 3200, you may prefer ISO 2000 or 2500.

What's really useful about the 7D2 is that you can set your ISO on-the-fly while in the viewfinder by customising the SET button in conjunction with the Main Dial (topside), although I have those controls on mine currently customised to change the exposure compensation on-the-fly. It depends on the photo session and what you are shooting.

You can also set a maximum ceiling ISO value when shooting Auto ISO.

Personally so far, I am finding that the 7D2 answers so many of the handling restrictions of my 70D (great camera as I think the 70D is). It's the fundamental principle of being able to select lots of pre-customised options while still allowing you to keep your eye in the viewfinder - Essential for wildlife and doubtless also for sports.

From the very limited chance I've had to use it I think that 2000-2500 might be its top end. Which would be fine for me. I rarely shoot below 800 even in good light.

....Me too. I find that ISO 800 (as experienced on my 70D) offers higher numerical aperture and shutter speed values - Usually needed for wildlife.

I do like the 7D2's option of setting yourself a maximum value in Auto ISO and shooting in Manual mode so that the ISO automatically selects itself within a preset range.

I'm interested robin to know why you've set the top dial for exposure comp rather than the default exposure comp on the rear dial. This would then allow you to use the set button and top dial for iso.

Thought the video was a sensible view of the results from DXO mark which reinforces a point I made on either here or the other thread of looking beyond the headline figure and examine all the data although some people can't seem to see beyond this headline figure and take great delight in rubbishing what is, as an overall camera body, a sensible evolution of the original 7D.

I'm sure the mk2 will produce some stunning images in the right hands, the net gets boring when all you here about is noise performance rather than the overall image quality.
One of the best things you can do to improve noise issues is to not zoom in and start looking for it, i will be waiting a little while yet but for me the low light auto focus and keeper rate come before noise.

I'm interested robin to know why you've set the top dial for exposure comp rather than the default exposure comp on the rear dial. This would then allow you to use the set button and top dial for iso.

....Because I don't manage to reliably locate the desired small topside button. Also, I use Exposure Compensation more often than ISO revisions. I more easily remember this combo rather than use the rear Control Dial which gets used for so many other functions, and especially if I'm shooting in Manual mode.

Of course, in time I may change my set up but this is how it feels easiest for me. The real test will be when I can get out there with some decent light and shoot some birdies etc. I'm stuck inside waiting for Parcelforce to deliver an extra LP-E6N battery.

Another customisation I have done is to select the AF-ON button for Autofocus and not the shutter button (same as I have done on my 70D) - This is a well known technique as we know aka Back-button-focus but I have also selected the adjacent AE Lock button to action AI SERVO while I have ONE SHOT by default. As a result I can very easily rock my thumb onto the AF-ON focussing button to simultaneously cover and action AI SERVO. Consequently I can very quickly switch from photographing a relatively static bird to one in flight. I have yet to fully test this setup and so decide how well it suits me or not.

What does 'FE' stand for, please?

Last edited:
It's a "fixed exposure lock"
ie point it at something and press the button and that shutter speed will be held, recompose and take the shot.

Edit Only works in AV/TV mode

Last edited:
I'm the same as you. I tend to use exposure comp more often than change the ISO. I guess I'm so used to using the rear dial on 1 series bodies so I naturally go for it on the 7D as its live all the time. One function that I miss is on the 1DX you can programme the SET button for ISO just as on the 7D but you dont have to keep it pressed as it has the 6 second timer on it.

It's a "fixed exposure lock"
ie point it at something and press the button and that shutter speed will be held, recompose and take the shot.

Edit Only works in AV/TV mode

....Isn't that the same as the AE Lock?

I use Av-mode more often than any other mode. Tv-mode to help freeze fast motion.

I'm the same as you. I tend to use exposure comp more often than change the ISO. I guess I'm so used to using the rear dial on 1 series bodies so I naturally go for it on the 7D as its live all the time. One function that I miss is on the 1DX you can programme the SET button for ISO just as on the 7D but you dont have to keep it pressed as it has the 6 second timer on it.

....Having to keep a button pressed can sometimes make things awkward. Also, it's a pity we can't change the 6 seconds to be either a shorter or a longer time as we can with some other features on the 7D2. Would revised firmware be able to change such things as timings?

I tend to look at the general lighting conditions due to weather etc and decide my ISO accordingly before starting to shoot and I only change it if/when the lighting levels change.

I have just been out practicing and learning how best to set it up for birds inflight shots on seagulls - It's all about the light. Slowly, bit by bit I'll get there. I went through a similar learning curve a year ago with my 70D but the AF system on the 7D2 is quite a different ball game!

Another customisation I have done is to select the AF-ON button for Autofocus and not the shutter button (same as I have done on my 70D) - This is a well known technique as we know aka Back-button-focus but I have also selected the adjacent AE Lock button to action AI SERVO while I have ONE SHOT by default. As a result I can very easily rock my thumb onto the AF-ON focussing button to simultaneously cover and action AI SERVO. Consequently I can very quickly switch from photographing a relatively static bird to one in flight. I have yet to fully test this setup and so decide how well it suits me or not.

What does 'FE' stand for, please?

I may be missing something but surely the point of BBF is that you can leave the camera on AI SERVO and if you only want single focus just slide your thumb off the button once you've achieved focus? Appreciate its whatever works for the individual, but aren't you just adding an additional step. One method I've tried was using the DOF Preview button to toggle AI SERVO/Single AF

I have been following this thread with a great deal of interest. I currently use a 50d and I feel the time is right to upgrade. I love shooting sports and air shows etc, so to get to the point, will the jump from the 50d to the 7d mk2, genuinely be 'that' noticeable? My 50d was my first digital slr and in fact is the only dslr I have ever used. I suppose, I just need a degree of reassurance that I will notice a tangible difference in image quality. This is a substantial amount of money for me to fork out..........

Ive done a bit of testing on the accuracy of servo used as single shot. On my 1DX & 5D3 its generally very accurate but when I had the MKIV it wasn't so good.

The DOF button just changes it from one to the other. By using the AE Lock button you can set it to not only change back to one shot AF but also use a different AF pattern.

So my normal AF ON is set to AI servo and expanded centre AF point to 5 points. I've now got the AE lock button set to spot AF and one shot.

I have been following this thread with a great deal of interest. I currently use a 50d and I feel the time is right to upgrade. I love shooting sports and air shows etc, so to get to the point, will the jump from the 50d to the 7d mk2, genuinely be 'that' noticeable? My 50d was my first digital slr and in fact is the only dslr I have ever used. I suppose, I just need a degree of reassurance that I will notice a tangible difference in image quality. This is a substantial amount of money for me to fork out..........

No one can answer that question completely for you.

The focus system in the 7DMkII is taken pretty much from the 5D3. It has a few more points and they are all cross points so sensitive in both horizontal and vertical planes. The 5D3 AF is excellent and I would expect the 7D to show a definite benefit over your 50D. The AF system takes a bit of getting used to but it is very good.

10 FPS gives you more choice of image. I know you can take aviation and sports with 6FPS, as you currently do, but having those extra frames is beneficial.

Whilst the dymanic range on the 7D has not really improved over the 50D its ISO noise control has and this would bring benefits to your photography in terms of image quality in lower light.

The customisation of the 7D will allow you to set up the camera to allow you to concentrate on your photography by allowing settings ISO etc to be changed on the fly without taking the camera away from your face. Sounds a small point but it does have a value.

Its hard to say yes it will be better and give you better images. you will have to be prepared to learn about the camera to bring the best out of it and yourself. Its more of a combination of all the improvements adding up to give you a better all round performance and its this that will have the biggest effect on the images you take and keep.

I'm fortunate to have a 5D3 and a 1DX. Great camera thought the 5D3 is and it produces fabulous image quality the 1DX is better. Not by much, not twice as good but all round just better and my keeper rate is higher with the 1DX.

Sorry its a bit long winded and this is only my take on it.

Gaz

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the reply and I fully understand your comments. I guess as this is going to be a proper financial commitment for me I am only looking for reassurance. Which does sound slightly pathetic. I feel that I have taken my 50d as far as I can in terms of image quality for my purposes. I want to try and move on with better equipment.

Duggiebee, I was in the same boat with my 50D three years ago, and it was a revelation upgrading to a 7D. Now I have a 7D MkII it is another leap again. Bearing in mind the comments above about learning the new camera, then yes, I would say you would most definitely notice a difference. Primarily in AF performance and frame rate, but also in ISO.

I feel that I have taken my 50d as far as I can in terms of image quality for my purposes. I want to try and move on with better equipment.

....That's exactly why I have upgraded from the 70D to the 7D Mark II. But be aware that the 7D2 has a learning curve, so don't expect instant results and then feel disappointed. The more time and effort you put into learning its potential, the more rewarding it will be.

Another plus for you is the 7D2's weather sealing and rugged build quality - Subject to which lenses you use with it, adverse weather won't stop you from shooting. However, that raises another point and that is which lenses you have and which of them will fully exploit the 7D2's autofocus system. All EF and EF-S lenses will fit the 7D2.

One method I've tried was using the DOF Preview button to toggle AI SERVO/Single AF

....I tried that too, but you have to keep your finger on the DoF Preview button if you want to hold the other setting and that becomes very awkward when you have a telephoto lens on. It would work better if it functioned like a on/off switch but then it wouldn't function so well for DoF previews.

When using my long lenses I use the lens stop button, works a charm..!

....I have looked in the PDF Manual and haven't come across anything called the "lens stop button". What is it, please? And what do you use it for - AI SERVO / ONE SHOT?

....I have looked in the PDF Manual and haven't come across anything called the "lens stop button". What is it, please? And what do you use it for - AI SERVO / ONE SHOT?
It refers to a button on a select few of the big expensive prime lenses, from the 300 2.80 upwards :)

Sorry Robin I should have said, yes I use it for one shot / servo

On most of the big whites, there are 5 buttons around the end of the lens which can be configured to some functions..

I think on my mkiv it's spot focus, dx one shot / servo

I was using a 7D2 last week.

Took a while to get used to 1.6 crop again but I found the small body liberating.

If at some point I replace my 1DIV then I could be tempted so will watch with interest.

Last edited:
Bought a grip for mine today. Feels a bit more like it now with that on. Still light though.

Last edited:
I got to have a play with one the other day, I really liked it. Kept going for a touch screen though and trying to press things it doesn't have compared to my 70d! The Iso performance looks impressive to me, I would say its a bit better than the 70d to my eyes. high iso looked useable. THe video digital zoom I asked about (3-10x) has not been included.

Sorry Robin I should have said, yes I use it for one shot / servo

On most of the big whites, there are 5 buttons around the end of the lens which can be configured to some functions..

I think on my mkiv it's spot focus, dx one shot / servo

....Ah, the chicanery of indexes! I found a setting on my 7D2 in the Custom Controls menu > Lens AF stop button which offers the option ONE SHOT><AI SERVO but also 7 additional options. The 7D2 Menu displays the AF-MF lens button highlit on its illustration. I tested the settings with my Canon 300mm F/4L IS 'whitey' mounted and it doesn't function. I haven't bothered to test my other L lenses and a 4 year old 400mm F/5.6L is my longest reach.

I would have expected the camera body to read what lens is mounted and consequently grey out the display of those options which can't function. Perhaps I should give this feedback to Canon?

Last edited:
I got to have a play with one the other day, I really liked it. Kept going for a touch screen though and trying to press things it doesn't have compared to my 70d! The Iso performance looks impressive to me, I would say its a bit better than the 70d to my eyes. high iso looked useable. THe video digital zoom I asked about (3-10x) has not been included.

....I come to the 7D2 from a 70D too and I experienced the same for a few days but now it's the other way around!

Comparing the two, I now prefer the 7D2 for lots of reasons I could list (say if you would like me to, but then you'll want one!). However, although I am slowly getting used to the 7D2 I won't be really happy until I have nailed a few shots up to the standard I achieved on my 70D (all shot RAW) - See my Flickr page. Although the 7D2 is far more weatherproof, the light is extremely poor and it's also very windy these last few days.

Last edited:
....I come to the 7D2 from a 70D too and I experienced the same for a few days but now it's the other way around!

Comparing the two, I now prefer the 7D2 for lots of reasons I could list (say if you would like me to, but then you'll want one!). However, although I am slowly getting used to the 7D2 I won't be really happy until I have nailed a few shots up to the standard I achieved on my 70D (all shot RAW) - See my Flickr page. Although the 7D2 is far more weatherproof, the light is extremely poor and it's also very windy these last few days.

New kit, weather goes to s*** :hug:

Well I certainly already want one! I would certainly like to hear the reasons why, it's always interesting to hear different opinions. It's either save for a 7dmk2 or a sigma 150-600 sports sigma.

Well I certainly already want one! I would certainly like to hear the reasons why, it's always interesting to hear different opinions. It's either save for a 7dmk2 or a sigma 150-600 sports sigma.

....Regarding the question of lens vs body, the 70D is already extremely versatile and a body is merely a control unit mounted on the all important lens. Whether any Sigma or Tamron lens is 'better' than a Canon L lens is another question and budget may influence your choice. But if funds allow, Canon L every time! I bought all my four Canon L lenses here on TP Classifieds - Two of them even before I bought a DSLR body! (the 70D).

Following are the 7D Mark II and 70D pros and cons versus each other but please understand that these are only from the perspective of how I personally use a camera and that's for almost exclusively wildlife. I never use any video so cannot comment on those features at all. Also bear in mind that I have used the 70D for 11 months and the 7D2 for only a few days. They each have much in common such as Canon's excellent ergonomics and surprisingly effective built-in flash. They both suffer from the topside buttons being too small, in my opinion.

70D PROS (not in any order of importance):

(-) Relatively compact but still very easy to handle with the heavier telephoto L lenses mounted.

(-) The flip screen, being fully articulated, can be closed so that the LCD display is completely protected.

(-) Easier and faster to navigate and resize the review of images after capture due to touchscreen but also the alternative buttons are better positioned for faster use.

(-) Simpler to use and easier learning curve.

(-) Wi-Fi if that is useful to you (it isn't to me).

7D Mark II CONS
(not in any order of importance):

(-) No articulated flip screen - Useful for low down and high up shots. I don't miss the touchscreen as it just gets greasy.

(-) Much more elaborate Autofocus system to learn but it promises to deliver a higher rate of 'keepers' when mastered.

(-) A steeper learning curve due to offering more control options and much more customisation generally.

(-) Very heavy on battery juice and that's without activating GPS.

(-) No Wi-Fi without an expensive accessory (but I don't need Wi-Fi on a camera).

70D CONS (not in any order of importance):

(-) The rear control dial is smaller and it's inner selections are often awkward to control.

(-) Easier to accidentally engage the overall settings LOCK slider (I was in the middle of a critical shot when I first did it without knowing and thought the camera had completely failed!).

(-) Tiny and also badly positioned, and therefore utterly useless, DoF Preview button. What were you thinking, Canon!!? Possibly my biggest gripe.

(-) Hinged battery cover isn't sprung and so can sometimes obstruct if you are in a hurry.

(-) Not as weatherproof. I got caught out by a very heavy shower and it caused temporary and uncontrollable LCD display racing when viewing images after capture. It lasted a couple of hours and I was ready to contact my supplier.

7D Mark II PROS (not in any order of importance):

(-) A more sophisticated Autofocus system.

(-) Much more customisable throughout and also so that you can change/select more settings while still looking through the viewfinder.

(-) Much more valuable information can be displayed in the viewfinder (which is bigger).

(-) A higher frame-per-second rate of 10 fps, hence potentially securing more choice of best image.

(-) More weatherproof (not fully tested by me yet!) and lots of rugged rubber.

(-) Grippier to hold but it is a larger and slightly heavier body. Rugged rubber again!

(-) Probably smoother ISO performance at higher ISO settings but not significant at lower settings. (Not fully explored yet).

(-) I no longer lose autofocus if I mount a Canon 1.4x Extender on my 400mm F/5.6L. But I rarely do so anyway because I don't like the results so far.

(-) Offers a more enabling camera to grow your potential than the 70D and that is probably the most important consideration of all.

In making this list I may have missed some aspects but these are the ones which immediately come to mind. As said, the 7D Mark II is still a voyage of discovery but I already feel that I made the right decision to buy one. It will take time before I can master it but I won't be using any 14 days consumer rights to return it!

:)

Last edited:
Good opportunity to test the weather sealing then ;)

.... :D but pointless if there aren't any potential images worth capturing today. How about sticking yours on a tripod in the weather for 24 hours instead? :D

Has it not got a windy setting ? ;)

.... LOL :D Image Stabilisation hasn't been developed that far yet.

I haven't uploaded yesterday's efforts to my Mac yet.

Back