Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

Case 2 (as mentioned in the text).

To be clear, the accuracy seems fine, it's the tracking (or trying to track when not required ) that I'm finding inconsistencies with.

Bob
Apologies I missed that - doh! Yes I agree, no discrepancies with one-shot, and I'm not completely certain I have discrepancies with tracking either to be honest, just not quite the hit rate that I expected, but it could be me.

On another note i have now set my first image and second image so they bias focus lock more than release in the A/F menu

I have set mine the same as my 5D3 - I might increase the focus bias more as I think it's currently equal.

Anybody had any problems with the cards corrupting,the SD is fine but the CF went over the weekend,probably just a duff card but I thought I'd check
No problems here

Very interesting results, Bob, unfortunately I'm travelling all week and won't be able to do any more tests, but will follow your results with interest!

Thanks!!

George.

ps I leave mine on AI servo all the time (as I do with the 1 Dx).....perhaps should try a few with one shot to see what happens....never get probs with this on the 1 Dx but I remember my original 7D did "chatter" a bit on aiservo.

I find it quite difficult to come up with a firm opinion on this camera. It certainly can produce very good images but I dont have the confidence in it that I have with my 1DX. it always seems to be a case of checking the screen with an element of doubt that the image is going to be spot on. With my 1DX I often don't even bother checking the screen I'm so confident in its ability. I think that RAW files from the MkII are soft, very much like those from a 1D MkIV and need a lot of sharpening at a small radius and this is how I now process them and I am happier with the results. The jpegs you see generated on the rear screen at standard settings seem to have a lot of sharpening applied.

The 1DX just does it, the MkII does it sometimes. I think if I ever get to the point where I don't feel the camera is giving me the quality I desire I will get another 1DX and leave the crop sensor alone for good. I know the 1DX is a lot of cash but you can crop the files hard and still get good results. And the fact that the 1DX is that good tends to spoil you for anything else and, for me, i think that is the problem. My expectations are too high for the MkII.

Last edited:
I think Gaz's comments above pretty much mirror my own feelings, I had hoped that my second (replacement) body would do the trick and for a while I thought it had, however when I started using it in earnest, I'm not so sure.
The 1Dx just seems to nail everything pretty much, I have my review screen set to showing the RGB histogram, and that's what I check, I usually don't bother to check the focus, however that's not the case with the 7D2.
Are we asking too much of a non pro camera?...I don't think so, it's meant to be the cream of the crop sensor bodies, and AF is pretty important!!..it's aimed at wildlife and sports!

be interesting to see how Canon respond!!

George.

I think Gaz's comments above pretty much mirror my own feelings, I had hoped that my second (replacement) body would do the trick and for a while I thought it had, however when I started using it in earnest, I'm not so sure.
The 1Dx just seems to nail everything pretty much, I have my review screen set to showing the RGB histogram, and that's what I check, I usually don't bother to check the focus, however that's not the case with the 7D2.
Are we asking too much of a non pro camera?...I don't think so

As stated above the last thing i ever do on the 1DX is check for focus and infact i dont even have review turned on any more as im that confident in it delivering every time.

From my talks with the Canon reps before the release of the MKII and also from much of the marketing i have seen its aimed fairly high up the prosumer ladder of cameras and is included on the CPS scheme but guess we will have to wait and see if enough people with enough voice get behind the problem as it took Rob Galbraith's extensive input and images to eventually get Canon to cave into the 1DMKIII fiasco.

....its aimed fairly high up the prosumer ladder of cameras and is included on the CPS scheme.....
As far as CPS qualification goes, it's on a par with the 40D currently (lowest qualifying level) and behind the equally venerable 5DMkII. In marketing parlance, Canon have "Beginner", "Enthusiast" and "Professional" and it sits on the "Enthusiast" shelf. I suspect that its status in both will have a huge bearing on the action that they take (if any).

Bob

As far as CPS qualification goes, it's on a par with the 40D currently (lowest qualifying level) and behind the equally venerable 5DMkII. In marketing parlance, Canon have "Beginner", "Enthusiast" and "Professional" and it sits on the "Enthusiast" shelf. I suspect that its status in both will have a huge bearing on the action that they take (if any).

Bob

Blimey i didnt realise it was so low down the list Bob!!!

Also just seen a post on another photography forum of someone who has received a camera with firmware 1.0.4 installed so maybe a release will be just around the corner.
Be intresting to see if this is A/F related although i very much doubt it will be confirmed by Canon even if it is.

I think that RAW files from the MkII are soft, very much like those from a 1D MkIV and need a lot of sharpening at a small radius and this is how I now process them and I am happier with the results.

I agree with this statement, images are softer than I expected. But with a bit of tweaking in LR the come up very well. Just a case of improving my image manipulation skills...

This has just been reported on DP review......all of ours are 1.0.2.

"I just bought a grey-market 7DM2 from getitdigital and it arrived with firmware 1.0.4, a version that hasn't officially been announced yet. Here is a snapshot of the firmware version plus a full walk-through of the menu system.

Firmware 1.0.4 Menu Walk-Through (YouTube)

TS560x560

View: original size

Latest...new software coming out tomorrow.........no release notes yet...

I agree with this statement, images are softer than I expected. But with a bit of tweaking in LR the come up very well. Just a case of improving my image manipulation skills...
It's an expensive piece of kit and surely it can do better than that?

Hmm.. Very hard to tell - I think I will have to do a more scientific test. Yes, it missed focus on a number of shots, but I was photographing a knee-high dog running very fast straight at the camera through knee-high buttercups, whilst kneeling down, so there was an awful lot to get in the way and distract the camera, and it was pretty much a nightmare scenario for AF. Saying that, I got some pin sharp ones which I was very pleased with.

I think its fine Joe. Mine is a MkI 500 so a heavier combo that the 500MkII. 500 MkII is a lovely lens and very hand holdable.

Here's a few taken with the 500 and 7D MkII

Nuthatch

Nuthatch

Red Kite

Red Kite

Red Kite

Coal Tit

Some lovely images there mate, specially the first one top class, what ISO would you say is max useable for the best image quality? I have read online not to go above 1600 ISO as it starts to get pretty noisy, the weight side of things doesn't bother me at all much as I'm use to lugging around a 400mm f/2.8 Nikon handheld at the moment which weighs 4.8kg. The weight loss though will be a nice bonus specially when using the Lens abroad in hot climates.

Some lovely images there mate, specially the first one top class, what ISO would you say is max useable for the best image quality? I have read online not to go above 1600 ISO as it starts to get pretty noisy, the weight side of things doesn't bother me at all much as I'm use to lugging around a 400mm f/2.8 Nikon handheld at the moment which weighs 4.8kg. The weight loss though will be a nice bonus specially when using the Lens abroad in hot climates.

I pretty much set my upper limit at ISO 1600 Joe. I find that the camera is intolerant of poor exposure and I make more of an effort to expose to the right with it than with my 1DX. I feel that above this the detail starts to suffer a little. I have used it for other stuff at 2000-2500 but really thats about it for me.

I'm using it as a walkabout camera more now with the new 100-400 MkII on it and thats a pretty good combo. You will see a noticable difference between the camera and your Nikons in terms of noise I think. Pretty much all the stuff I've put on here has minimal processing though and I think is representative of the results that are coming out of the camera.

I pretty much set my upper limit at ISO 1600 Joe. I find that the camera is intolerant of poor exposure and I make more of an effort to expose to the right with it than with my 1DX. I feel that above this the detail starts to suffer a little. I have used it for other stuff at 2000-2500 but really thats about it for me.

I'm using it as a walkabout camera more now with the new 100-400 MkII on it and thats a pretty good combo. You will see a noticable difference between the camera and your Nikons in terms of noise I think. Pretty much all the stuff I've put on here has minimal processing though and I think is representative of the results that are coming out of the camera.

Thanks for your detailed reply's pal, its great to hear from someone who is using it for the same purposes I intend :) The limit of ISO 1600 is fine to meI don't tend to go above 800 ISO anyway. Interesting to hear about the exposure, its sounds like what I use to have with a D700 I always had to set the exposure -0.7EV to get the images to exposure correctly no matter what the weather. Thanks again for your input (y)

Thanks for your detailed reply's pal, its great to hear from someone who is using it for the same purposes I intend :) The limit of ISO 1600 is fine to meI don't tend to go above 800 ISO anyway. Interesting to hear about the exposure, its sounds like what I use to have with a D700 I always had to set the exposure -0.7EV to get the images to exposure correctly no matter what the weather. Thanks again for your input (y)

....I tend to shoot ISO 500, occasionally 400 when conditions allow but then ISO 800 if it's overcast and only 1600 in 'emergencies'.

Regarding getting the exposures right I have found that I get better results using evaluative metering rather than spot as I did until recently.

A high ISO image in focus is way better than a low ISO image out of focus. Having said that I don't bother upping the ISO for stuff that I know that I can photograph without too much effort on another day. Unless its something unusual.,

Firmware update installed in mine.

At Donington next week for WSBK, will be interesting to see what I get after my aberration from Assen.

....I tend to shoot ISO 500, occasionally 400 when conditions allow but then ISO 800 if it's overcast and only 1600 in 'emergencies'.

Regarding getting the exposures right I have found that I get better results using evaluative metering rather than spot as I did until recently.

I shoot 99.9% of shots on evaluative, check RGB histogram and use exposure comp where necessary....best way IMO to get accurate exposure.

I took my 7D2 with me on Safari along with my 5D3 last week - I was pushed into using long lenses, and high ISOs on the evening drives - I settled on limiting ISO to 6400 max where I could. Took some at 12800 too. Not ideal conditions. However, although I didn't take that many this high, was just reviewing images and found this one as a pretty good example of how usable even ISO6400 - hand held, 7D2, 70-200 II 2.8 IS at f/5.6, ISO6400, 1/100s. Can't tell very well from this size, but it's a perfectly printable image.
View attachment 37387

I didn't take many at 12800 fearing the worst about noise (hadn't used the 7D2 other than for a few test shots before I went), but here's a 12800 ISO shot (and it's actually cropped so exacerbating any noise issues) This was same lens, ISO12800, f/5.6 @ 1/400s.

View attachment 37388

Both images were taken in poor light. Excuse the images - these aren't the best of the trip, just a couple of outliers in ISO terms.

Back