Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

Has any one tried the mk1 7d grip to see if it works on the mk11 as they share the same battery?

This is just a test image (no photography critiques needed) purely to show ISO 16000 on a JPEG. No editing. I chose a background to help show noise.

ISO16000_0498.jpg

^ ISO 16000 is seriously high and of course there is noise visible but it could very easily be dramatically reduced in post-processing the RAW version.

And here is one at ISO 6400 to compare:

ISO6400_0495.jpg

^ ISO 6400

Has any one tried the mk1 7d grip to see if it works on the mk11 as they share the same battery?

....If it helps, the Canon part # for the 7D2 grip is BG-E16. What's the 7D part #? - If it's the same, you have your answer.

@RedRobin - I believe that all oem RAW converters work like DPP by assigning standard settings during conversion. The beauty of RAW is that you can override them at will. I always keep sharpening and NR switched on just in case I need to make a quick in-camera jpg, but reduce them to 0 in DPP and apply the correct USM and NR in Photoshop as the last stage. I think you may be missing out by not using DPP at this time.

I have never used any of the manufacturers conversion software but what your saying makes a lot of sense. Each manufacturer will have its own RAW file that need their software to convert. LR comes along and tries to make a catch all programme to convert everyone's.

LR ignores JPEG settings. If you watch LR loading previews when importing you see the camera JPEG being displayed and then it changes to a preview that LR interprets from the RAW file.

LR doesn't import much data from the camera at all. WB which is displayed as AS SHOT, Metadata, Copyright , and one or two other bits.

Adobe have however added the Canon JPEG styles into lightroom and if you select one of these after opening the RAW image it will adjust the image to reflect that particular style.

I know nothing about grips - I assume that the 7D2 grip takes two LP-E6N batteries?

And is also strong enough to dangle a body with mounted telephoto lens (400 + 1.4x my heaviest) off a BlackRapid strap? (The grip would be the link to the BR strap).

I know nothing about grips - I assume that the 7D2 grip takes two LP-E6N batteries?

And is also strong enough to dangle a body with mounted telephoto lens (400 + 1.4x my heaviest) off a BlackRapid strap? (The grip would be the link to the BR strap).

The grip can take LP-E6N , LP-E6 and AA batteries

I attach my R strap to the tripod foot on the lens (when I use my 70-200 or 100-400) as it gives a better balance hanging on your hip

:agree: tripod foot, i wouldn't want to be walking around and relying on the grip.

Then I think I can manage without a grip because I usually walk around with either my 400mm on my body (70D) attached to BR strap and my 300mm/100mm in a pouch across my other shoulder, or vica-versa and I find it's much quicker and easier to change lenses that way. I usually steady my camera body with my right hand all the time anyway to stop any swinging around - Hand on gun in holster! All my lenses have a tripod mount/foot plus RC2 plate on each of them all the time as I like how I can support the lens better with my left hand and I can also quickly transfer to tripod/monopod.

It also works well to attach my 300mm/400mm via tripod foot to my BR strap with body mounted to lens but have my 100mm Macro lens already attached to my tripod and then just transfer body to either lens. Get one in the bag handheld on the 300 and then see if I can move in closer with the 100 on tripod (Dragonflies and mini-beasts).

Anyway, back more on topic, surely the 7D2 body is strong enough to hang directly from a cross-chest strap with a Canon 400L mounted? The 70D has been for at least 9 months.

Last edited:
I'm following this thread with interest as a MK2 is on my shopping list, but not until I see a few more results, the price has stabilised, and LR/CS recognise it. However, in regard to Robins comments about carrying long lenses and supporting them, I use an Optech pro strap with an optional lens support, this gives me confidence that both the camera and lens are safely supported should I need to have both my hands free, mainly I use this with my 100-400. The support is shown here, I hope this helps.

Well I've had a play with it and here are my initial thoughts.

Its tiny. No way can I use this seriously without a grip. Seems to be heavy on battery use so a grip makes even more sense.

Customisation is good, seems based more around the 5D3 so you dont get the 6 second timer on the SET button or the lever which is a pity.

Its very quiet in high speed mode and the silent mode is excellent.

Having more than one personal menu is a great idea. I've got three set up at the moment. One for general, one for AF functions and one for flash. I've also set it so that my menus come up first.

I've not done any comparisons with my 5D3 and 1DX but the noise at 1600 seems quite fine and not intrusive but hopefully later today will run a series of jpegs off on all three cameras to have a better look.

AF with my 500 seems pretty nippy. Not had a chance to try AI servo yet.

Oh and the DOF button is still too low on the body although with a grip might be a bit easier to operate.

Last edited:
Its tiny. No way can I use this seriously without a grip. Seems to be heavy on battery use so a grip makes even more sense.

....I like the size of the 7D2 and for the time being I would rather carry an extra two LP-E6N batteries than bulk up my body with a grip - I already carry one spare battery and obviously the trick is to swop out the battery before it hits the red because The Law of Sod will leave you without power in the middle of a shot. Very few of my composed-in-camera shots are portrait format. My finished portrait-format images are usually cropped 10 x 8 proportion in post-processing. It's like refilling your petrol tank as soon as it starts displaying 1/4 full.

I think that the metal chassis of the 7D2 is easily capable of being hung by its tripod socket off a BlackRapid strap while having a telephoto lens mounted. My 70D has had no such issues and they are not as strong a build as the 7D2.

But, there is no right or wrong about any of this - We each have our own preferred ways of 'working'.

Last edited:
Going to Thailand on Friday for 4 weeks, so just checked the 7D2 body price at Foto File in Bangkok and it's Baht 63,900 (incl. tourist VAT refund) which is about £1,220. I'll be sorely tempted.

Last edited:
Going to Thailand on Friday for 4 weeks, so just checked the 7D2 body price at Foto File in Bangkok and it's Baht 63,900 (incl. tourist VAT refund) which is about £1,220. I'll be sorely tempted.
Don't forget UK VAT when you bring it into the country. That would make it £1464. At least there's no import duty on cameras.

Although I'm a UK citizen I have not been resident in the UK for over 26 years so I'm more like a tourist when I'm in the UK. Hence no VAT.

Took some test shots this afternoon at ISO 400,800,1600,3200 & 6400

Have put them on my Flickr page here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/109598793@N04/

Thery are just bits from the garden. Tried to take one set in good light and one in duller light. Tried to get a range of tones in each shot.

They are JEGS with the Standard setting which sharpens slightly. All I have done is resize them. Must admit if the RAW files are like this I will be reasonably happy.

Took some test shots this afternoon at ISO 400,800,1600,3200 & 6400 ... All I have done is resize them.
But that destroys the point of the exercise, surely. Reducing images in size also reduces noise. If you're interested in noise - and why else were you shooting at different ISO settings - then you need to compare 100% crops from each image, not reduced versions of each image.

Didn't have time to load the 100% crops that I did. I'm interested in how they look at website size as well as full size.

Some people says that noise isn't such an issue for general web use, with regards to some noisy images resized to smaller ones and noise becomes much less apparent when viewed on the web at the moment. I think that might change a lot in the coming years with 4K monitors, when they become standard in the not to distant future people will be seeing much larger images on the web and noise might become more of an issue then. Then again by the time 4K becomes the de-facto standard, the sensor technology will have moved on and will be more developed and of a higher standard that it is right now. I'm still curious as to how much the quality of these photographs with the 7D MK II is better because of a better sensor vs better post noise reduction. I can't wait to see the raw images at 6400 ISO, hopefully we won't have to wait too long. :)

Look at the dynamic range from ISO 400 upwards and the Sony loses its advantage. DXO are marking across the whole range of ISO and the Sony/Nikon sensors have a definite advantage at lower ISOs.

They go on to say.

sensor performance is somewhat behind the best in class, at least at low ISOs. Relatively high noise, less discriminating color, and below-average DR at base ISO all continue to hold back Canon sensors against rivals, but when light levels fall, the Canon EOS 7D Mk II performs competitively, even surpassing rivals slightly. If Canon could only address performance at base and low ISO, the EOS 7D Mk II would make a thoroughly convincing all-round choice.

Given that most people waiting for this camera were interested in higher ISO performance its nowhere near as bad as the initial score suggests. For sports/wildlife would you take the Sony over the MkII.

Last edited:
Don't think ill be paying 5 bucks for his set up guide. It was worth reading for one bit of info. I always keep my camera in AI servo and then change back to one shot if I need it. After reading his review I've now got the AE lock button programmed to single point spot focus and one shot when I press it. So now best of both worlds. Thanks for that.

I don't place much value on their camera scoring system. We should only ever be buying Nikons based on their sensor scores.

I notice many people that favour a certain manufacturer (be it Canon, Nikon, Pentax etc) say the say thing when their favourite make gets a bad score on DXOmark but are quick enough to quote the same web site when the same manufacturer gets a decent one. :)

Personally I don't place much value on their camera scoring either but I always take notice of their sensor marks. Whether I let them influence my choice of camera is another matter though.

They say it as they see it but a lot of people just grab the top line score and that becomes the bench mark. Once you look into it a bit more its very common for Canon sensors do lose out at low ISO but claw it back at higher ISO.

It is what it is. I don't worry about this score or that score. As long as my choice fulfils my need and I'm happy then I've got the best camera. Simples.

Yep, all that DXOmark stuff, and similar, is really just academic - It doesn't either stop or better enable someone to take great photos.

Don't think ill be paying 5 bucks for his set up guide. It was worth reading for one bit of info. I always keep my camera in AI servo and then change back to one shot if I need it. After reading his review I've now got the AE lock button programmed to single point spot focus and one shot when I press it. So now best of both worlds. Thanks for that.

....That's the one that got my attention too but I'll program the buttons vica-versa so the AE lock * button actions AI Servo.

As someone with less experience than most of you guys here, I might consider paying the 5 bucks for more setup tips.

Btw, I just bought a spare LP-E6N battery - £79 from Park Cameras who are fairly competitive in their pricing and very similar to Wex. The 7D2 certainly drinks battery juice.

DXO talk crap, they claim the 6d sensor is worse than the d600 in low light and worse on noise.... first ive seen of it from tonnes of shots.

in saying that I would be interested to see how this body performs at 6400 in a full size file.

Do you have a full size link to that shot above at 16000 so we can see how much detail is retained at all please?

in saying that I would be interested to see how this body performs at 6400 in a full size file.

Do you have a full size link to that shot above at 16000 so we can see how much detail is retained at all please?

.... @dalegt4 Are you referring to my 16000 shot in post #242?

I notice many people that favour a certain manufacturer (be it Canon, Nikon, Pentax etc) say the say thing when their favourite make gets a bad score on DXOmark but are quick enough to quote the same web site when the same manufacturer gets a decent one. :)

Personally I don't place much value on their camera scoring either but I always take notice of their sensor marks. Whether I let them influence my choice of camera is another matter though.

I think you misunderstand me, I'm not a Canon fan boy, indeed I recommended a D810 to a good friend based on his needs. What I am saying is that DXO's camera reviews are based solely on the sensor and under their scoring Nikon's will always score higher than Canons until there is a shift in manufacturing processes at Canon. And whilst there are good reasons for that higher score, for a lot of people slightly better colour depth and dynamic range are not that important as AF and metering capabilities.

Its the same for their lens tests, which whilst useful focus on specific set areas without paying attention to focusing accuracy, IS capabilities etc.

Lowest ISO non expanded... ISO 100 :)

Thanks for those will have a peek when on the laptop!

....I didn't shoot any in that session at ISO 100 as I felt confident I didn't need to check the noise at ISO 100 and am more interested in the higher ISO parameters and what to set up as ISO range maximums in the camera on occasions when using Auto ISO. Sorry!

....I didn't shoot any in that session at ISO 100 as I felt confident I didn't need to check the noise at ISO 100 and am more interested in the higher ISO parameters and what to set up as ISO range maximums in the camera on occasions when using Auto ISO. Sorry!

Try it, it may be nice :p

Back