Canon 7d11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it coming out soon?? Has there been an announcement?

Is it coming out soon?? Has there been an announcement?

Nothing 100% official but Canonrumors.com seems to be all but certain the replacement will be announced at Photokina

Latest rumoured specs:

Canon EOS 7D Mark II Specifications
◾Kit lenses: 18-135 IS STM and 15-85 IS (no STM)
◾CF, UDMA mode 7 + SD, UHS-I
◾GPS is in the camera
◾No WiFi
◾Fixed LCD, with no touch function.
◾20.2MP APS-C Sensor
◾Dual Pixel CMOS AF
◾Dual DIGIC 6 Processors
◾65 AF points “All Cross-type”. Dual cross on the center point.
◾f/8 on center point at least, could be on more points.
◾10fps
◾ISO 100-12800, ISO Boost mode 25600 and 51200
◾1080p/720p both get 60fps
◾Servo AF for video shooting.
◾Anti-flicker mode, eliminates flickers under flickering lights (e.g. fluorescent lamps).
◾Spot metering size 1.8%
◾Built-in flash
◾Mic and headphones connectors
◾Can sync time between 7D II cameras.
◾Lens electronic MF
◾About 100% coverage OVF
◾New Battery – LP-E6N

If it's all rumours, it's all rather a moot point isn't it?

How can we say if it's been worth the wait :D

Last edited:
I've been hearing that it will be announced next month. It's certainly long overdue and, as the owner of an almost five years old 7D, something I am very interested in.

This is from Canon Rumours website,

"Are These The EOS 7D Mk II Specifications?

Updates and clarifications on the specifications are in bold below.

We think we have the specifications for the upcoming Canon EOS 7D Mark II, we’re trying to authenticate things down to the CR3 level. We have been incorrect about previous features of the camera. For one, the top plate is not an “EOS-1 Style”, and the camera does not shoot 12fps. The sensor does have new technology, but it is not multi-layer, which is what we originally reported, but got thrown off by patents showing layered sensors.
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Specifications
  • Kit lenses: 18-135 IS STM and 15-85 IS (no STM)
  • CF, UDMA mode 7 + SD, UHS-I
  • GPS is in the camera
  • No WiFi
  • Fixed LCD, with no touch function.
  • 20.2MP APS-C Sensor
  • Dual Pixel CMOS AF
  • Dual DIGIC 6 Processors
  • 65 AF points “All Cross-type”. Dual cross on the center point.
  • f/8 on center point at least, could be on more points.
  • 10fps
  • ISO 100-12800, ISO Boost mode 25600 and 51200
  • 1080p/720p both get 60fps
  • Servo AF for video shooting.
  • Anti-flicker mode, eliminates flickers under flickering lights (e.g. fluorescent lamps).
  • Spot metering size 1.8%
  • Built-in flash
  • Mic and headphones connectors
  • Can sync time between 7D II cameras.
  • Lens electronic MF
  • About 100% coverage OVF
  • New Battery – LP-E6N
I stress I am trying to confirm everything above, and once I do I will update the rating on these specifications. I am 90% confident these are accurate EOS 7D Mark II specifications."

That's what was posted above.

But again, until the official announcement is made it's all a moot point?

Canon rumours themselves were working themselves up quite recently stating it would be a layered sensor. That appears to be very wide of the mark!

Ah, synchronised posting :)

Well if those are the specs, I doubt I shall upgrade, no moveable LCD!! and a different battery, would mean carrying two different sets. Some nice tweaks like 25600 and 51200 (depending on noise!) and servo AF for video, but overall not enough to entice me on reading that.

I'm waiting for it. Canon need a high spec high ISO capability crop camera. If its any good I will trade my 5D3 for one.

The battery probably is the same and the old LP-E6 will fit just as the LP-E4 fits the 1DX which has the N version of the battery.

That's what was posted above.

But again, until the official announcement is made it's all a moot point?

Canon rumours themselves were working themselves up quite recently stating it would be a layered sensor. That appears to be very wide of the mark!

Officially it's still a rumour but I think it's all but official :) Canonrumors.com are usually fairly good at specifying whether their rumours are reliable or just wishful dreams and they seem pretty damn sure it's coming out since they're all but certain those specs are real.

IMHO, the 70D effectively replaced the 7D in the Canon range, at least as far as price is concerned. The big gap, both in terms of price and spec, is around the 1D4's vacated position.

In other words, the camera will be a state-of-the-art sports and wildlife weapon, pro build and priced accordingly. I'm guessing £2-3K.

IMO Canon can't compete with Sony's current crop of sensors that Pentax, Nikon (and Sony of course) are using, the 7DII is "supposedly" using a slightly updated version of the one in the 70D.

Personally if that's the case then I can't see much reason to upgrade from my 7D MKI although the 65 point af with f8 points would be nice.

Well if those are the specs, I doubt I shall upgrade, no moveable LCD!! and a different battery, would mean carrying two different sets. Some nice tweaks like 25600 and 51200 (depending on noise!) and servo AF for video, but overall not enough to entice me on reading that.

It all depends on the sensor quality, which is not necessarily reflected by the given ISO range. I'm a bit surprised they are not going for 4K, but maybe that is reserved for the next 5 or 1-series?

IMO Canon can't compete with Sony's current crop of sensors that Pentax, Nikon (and Sony of course) are using, the 7DII is "supposedly" using a slightly updated version of the one in the 70D.

Personally if that's the case then I can't see much reason to upgrade from my 7D MKI although the 65 point af with f8 points would be nice.

I could see plenty of reasons to upgrade :p Vastly improved AF that still works at F8 is a pretty big boost and an the extra FPS is nice too :) It will definitely be interesting to see what the new sensor is like though...

It's not just about sensor quality. Ok so Sony sensors have the edge in noise and dynamic range over Canon and its a smart move by Nikon to use them but for me that's not enough. I recently had a play around with a Nikon D4. The most user unfriendly body I've ever picked up. I wouldn't swap my 1DX for 3 of them.

Well I would, but only to sell them and buy 2 1DXs :)

Canon is one of the few camera manufacturers to make its own sensors, and there's got to be a good reason for that, ie it gives them a competitive advantage. Until the recent past, Canon sensors have been as good as the best, if not better. They've lost some ground lately, but I'm confidently expecting the new camera to put them back at the front. A lot hangs on it actually, so it had better be.

Back to the original post, the wait starts after the first few hit the streets and get a proper hands on review, add on some time for the daft initial RRP price too settle down.
Sensible buyers will be looking at 12 months from now.

I recently had a play around with a Nikon D4. The most user unfriendly body I've ever picked up. I wouldn't swap my 1DX for 3 of them.

Each to there own, some prefer the D4 over the 1Dx and vis versa, its whatever you get use to and feel comfortable using at the end of the day, I think a 1Dx is user unfriendly body and thats just because I'am use to my Nikon setup

The point I'm making Joe is having the best sensor doesnt make the best camera. If I took landscapes I'd have a D800 because I think that's the best camera for landscapes. Its odd placement of buttons etc wouldn't matter because I would not need to operate the camera that quickly.

I did read somewhere in the ether that it will have a silent shutter as well, that would be a big one for me,the shutter on my 7D Mk1 is so loud that when in hides it can and does frighten birds...here's hoping!

I think it would be very expensive to start with, probably too much to warrant an upgrade imo

The point I'm making Joe is having the best sensor doesnt make the best camera. If I took landscapes I'd have a D800 because I think that's the best camera for landscapes

There is D810 now :) I'll be honest the best is Phase One IQ2...

Good sensor is not the whole package, but it is right at the heart of the camera.

No it means you have more money than sense :meh: :indifferent:

:p

Different people, different priorities and all that :) With some things I'll wait or save etc but with others I'll just buy exactly what I want rather than what's good value for money.

Their has been some very good comments put forward .I have been after a second camera for a while now and been sitting on the fence waiting for the 7d11 as I tried to get a 1d mk4 but they where 2 expensive or they was battered

It is certainly is due and competitors have better APS-C cameras, so they would be crazy no to...
The thing is, you could have said that any time in the last 3 years or so, and it would have been equally valid.

I think Canon and Nikon have been playing games here. The 7D replacement is overdue and the D300 replacement is overdue. Both manufacturers have been trying to entice users to buy into the full frame mentality, but the demand for a pro-spec crop-sensor body just won't go away. So they've both been watching to see what the other will do. I reckon they've both prototyped several possible models and they've been thinking that, as soon as the other one announces a new model, they'll trump it.

If the rumours are to be believed, it looks like Canon might have blinked first, and are launching a super-high-spec model that Nikon can't easily trump. It will be interesting to see how Nikon respond. Match the Canon specs, or gamble that Canon have overcooked it and pitch for a lower, more realistic price point?

Canon is one of the few camera manufacturers to make its own sensors, and there's got to be a good reason for that, ie it gives them a competitive advantage. Until the recent past, Canon sensors have been as good as the best, if not better. They've lost some ground lately, but I'm confidently expecting the new camera to put them back at the front. A lot hangs on it actually, so it had better be.

Apart from major leaps in design and disruptive technologies which will take time for competitors to match or better I'm pretty sure that just as in other industries the major players will all understand and have access to the same technologies, and design and production knowhow, if lacking, can be bought in if there's the financial ability and will to do so. So, I assume that Canon knows why and how other people make better sensors and it's then a commercial decision to attempt to match or better the opposition if the finance is available but I wonder if there's a pressing commercial need for Canon to make and use the best sensors? They're number 1 aren't they despite years of apparently using similar technology in new releases?

You may be right and the next Canon may be the latest greatest thing but if it's just a development with a few more pixels as other Canons have been it may still sell by the boat load.

Apart from major leaps in design and disruptive technologies which will take time for competitors to match or better I'm pretty sure that just as in other industries the major players will all understand and have access to the same technologies, and design and production knowhow, if lacking, can be bought in if there's the financial ability and will to do so. So, I assume that Canon knows why and how other people make better sensors and it's then a commercial decision to attempt to match or better the opposition if the finance is available but I wonder if there's a pressing commercial need for Canon to make and use the best sensors? They're number 1 aren't they despite years of apparently using similar technology in new releases?

You may be right and the next Canon may be the latest greatest thing but if it's just a development with a few more pixels as other Canons have been it may still sell by the boat load.

You're basically saying that Canon can rest on its laurels. Not sure about that, and for all sorts of reasons I don't think that it will. I hope this new camera will be something special in the sensor department. It could just be more of the same, more pixels and ISO, state of the current art etc, and that would be great but also a bit disappointing. Foveon is the only obvious disruptive sensor technology we know about, and while it's great in theory it always falls short in practise. Canon is known to be fiddling around with that, maybe they've found something.

But taking a different tack, away from the strictly imaging side of sensor technology, Canon is leading the way with on-sensor dual-pixel AF technology that has really massive potential for the winning manufacturer, both for DSLRs and mirrorless, at much lower cost. And then there's sensor-switching, getting rid of the mechanical shutter - all electronic, solid state. These things will happen sooner or later - maybe sooner, or at least early steps in a significantly new direction.

For me the only thing 'wrong' with the 7d is high ISO IQ and dual card slots. Add the modern requirement for WiFi and GPS and you have enough of a reason to buy one.

If they decide to make it a 1dIV replacement and price it accordingly, then they will push people to FF, because no matter what, the 5dIII is 'good enough' for most of that 1dIV market already. I can't see enough of a market for a crop sensor 5dIII at the same price as a 5dIII.

Hoping it's going to come in around the £17-1800 mark. You're right about the 5D3 it is a better camera then the MkIV except in it's build and FPS. 6 just isn't enough for some types of photography. That not to say you can't use it but 10-12 is better.

Different people, different priorities and all that :) With some things I'll wait or save etc but with others I'll just buy exactly what I want rather than what's good value for money.

:agree:

Canon may be the market leader but I would say thats due to them having the advantage early in the digital game. When they took alot more user's over other brands. They also have a bigger and even being a nikon user woukd say better lens range. With lots of glass you dont get else where. Most dont want to change system when heavily invested due to the cost.
But if they keep up the trend of re cycling sensors and not pushing new tech its going to hurt them. Even with this people are speculating its just the 70d sensor and its already taking alot of flack for that.
I wouldnt say there leading in af either. They may have duel pixel af for video/lv but nikons 1 series was pushing on sensor af for everything before that. Then next few body's from both will have to be well thought out, in my opinion. Canon needs to realy push the sensor tech and nikon needs to stop just chucking new bodys out every few months and concentrate and having a few refined bodys with no issues.

I think Canon and Nikon have been playing games here. The 7D replacement is overdue and the D300 replacement is overdue. Both manufacturers have been trying to entice users to buy into the full frame mentality, but the demand for a pro-spec crop-sensor body just won't go away. So they've both been watching to see what the other will do. I reckon they've both prototyped several possible models and they've been thinking that, as soon as the other one announces a new model, they'll trump it.

I suspect that they've been hoping that the buying public's obsession with pixel count would fade away and FF would be the new "must have" for all genre. The 5D3 didn't noticeably up the pixel count from the 5D2 and cramming more on to an APS-C sensor wouldn't give any realistic benefit either.....how many mainstream lenses can provide enough detail for 22Mp FF or 15Mp on a crop if DxO's numbers are assumed to be accurate?
Keeping the APS-C pixel count down a little (as seen with the 1Dx v 1DSMkIII on FF) and using the "space" to improve noise levels would be beneficial but not the ideal solution for the marketing department.

Bob

I suspect that they've been hoping that the buying public's obsession with pixel count would fade away and FF would be the new "must have" for all genre. The 5D3 didn't noticeably up the pixel count from the 5D2 and cramming more on to an APS-C sensor wouldn't give any realistic benefit either.....how many mainstream lenses can provide enough detail for 22Mp FF or 15Mp on a crop if DxO's numbers are assumed to be accurate?
Keeping the APS-C pixel count down a little (as seen with the 1Dx v 1DSMkIII on FF) and using the "space" to improve noise levels would be beneficial but not the ideal solution for the marketing department.

Bob
If the Canon marketing department can't create a campaign for 'the best low light camera available' then they hardly deserve a job. Just because the pixel count isn't making it easy for them, doesn't make their job 'difficult'. Almost all DSLR buyers know that megapixels are a nonsense to judge by, we all know that a 30megapixel phone will be thrashed in the real world by a 6 megapixel FF DSLR, that battle doesn't need fighting.

You're basically saying that Canon can rest on its laurels.

Not at all. That's not what I said and it's not what I meant.

I was simply raising the question of if Canon need to make a commercial decision to aim to be number one in sensor technology.

Last edited:
...Almost all DSLR buyers know that megapixels are a nonsense to judge by, we all know that a 30megapixel phone will be thrashed in the real world by a 6 megapixel FF DSLR, that battle doesn't need fighting.
Almost all informed DSLR buyers, Phil. Look at a shop display of DSLR's and the little cardboard tabs are emblazoned with the number of pixels and no mention the sensor's S-N ratio....at least that's the case here in France.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back