Canon 7d11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watch the video I posted right through. Dual slots SD and CF.

Aye, watched the video and you are correct.

But this begs the question, why are dual slots for different cards, surely dual slots for the same cards would be more logical?

And surely Park Cameras could have found someone in their staff even a little more enthusiastic/dynamic than the guy in the video? If the subject hadn't been a 7D MkII I'd have fallen asleep!

But this begs the question, why are dual slots for different cards, surely dual slots for the same cards would be more logical?
The 5DMkIII is the same format but the 1Dx retains the two CF slots from the previous 1D bodies.....space maybe?

Bob

7D Mark III will be announced September 2019 before Photokina 2019. Bodies will ship November 2019.

5D Mark IV will be announced March 2015 or later. Bodies will ship weeks later.

Disappointments with the 7D Mark II:
- No WiFi (May be a reason why there's a SD slot for EyeFi)
- No 4K resolution video
- No CFast memory card slot for faster than UDMA7 reads/writes of 167MB/s.

Extreme_PRO_CFast_515MBs_Front_128GB-470x400.JPG

And surely Park Cameras could have found someone in their staff even a little more enthusiastic/dynamic than the guy in the video? If the subject hadn't been a 7D MkII I'd have fallen asleep!

He was really engaged wasn't he ? lol.

Nice to see that the rumoured spec was almost spot on though, and what a spec, that's a sweet upgrade from the original.

7D Mark III will be announced September 2019 before Photokina 2019. Bodies will ship November 2019.

5D Mark IV will be announced March 2015 or later. Bodies will ship weeks later.

Disappointments with the 7D Mark II:
- No WiFi (May be a reason why there's a SD slot for EyeFi)
- No 4K resolution video
- No CFast memory card slot for faster than UDMA7 reads/writes of 167MB/s.

All the manufacturers seem to hold something back don't they, I guess it makes good business sense not to put ALL the toys into one body it would kill sales of something else in the line up.

Sony A7s, Panasonic GH4 and Panasonic FZ1000 to name a few has WiFi, 4K resolution video and even NFC. Although they do it using lower quality with on-board memory or through an external recorder.

Sony A7s, Panasonic GH4 and Panasonic FZ1000 to name a few has WiFi, 4K resolution video and even NFC. Although they do it using lower quality with on-board memory or through an external recorder.

Of course there are cameras out there that have all the above but thats kind of missing my point. They will almost certainly have other features omitted elsewhere in there spec . What I am saying is that its unlikely there is a Fully loaded camera on the market.
If that is what is important to you then you buy a camera that suits your needs.

Hopefully 4K RAW is reserved for the next 5D. I know ML can sort of do it already...

Sample images will be interesting to see. Everything else is pretty decent all round, just why no 1D style body, which is more durable and more compact than gripped monstrosity?

The 5DMkIII is the same format but the 1Dx retains the two CF slots from the previous 1D bodies.....space maybe?

Bob

Previous 1D / Ds were CF + SD. It is absolutely fine, except SD implementation is slow even in 5DIII.

There's certainly a lot to like in that spec not least the price being £400 less than I'd allowed for! I don't care about Wifi, 4k is of no use to me and everything else is a definite plus over my original (with the exception of yet more weight). I'm definitely impressed on paper but will wait for the real world reviews before ordering; will it have an Achilles heal?

There's certainly a lot to like in that spec not least the price being £400 less than I'd allowed for! I don't care about Wifi, 4k is of no use to me and everything else is a definite plus over my original (with the exception of yet more weight). I'm definitely impressed on paper but will wait for the real world reviews before ordering; will it have an Achilles heal?
That's exactly the way I've thought about it all. I just hope they've got the high ISO better. They say the sensor is a variant of the sensor used in the 70D and whilst it's a good sensor it's nothing revolutionary wise in the high ISO department.

Looks interesting what made me giggle was an email I have just received from jessops in relation to their canon trade in offer from the website. If you wanted to trade in a canon 7d1 against a 7d2 they are valuing the 7d1 at £240... Can't see many people trading them in for that surely. I haven't checked the resale value recently but can't see it having dropped that much.

Yes, it looks v good to me, though not quite what I was expecting. Biggest surprise is the price, which is actually £100 less than the 7D's RRP (y)

It seems like all the rumoured work on the sensor has been around AF performance rather than image quality. That is certainly quite radical but the fact Canon isn't making encouraging noises about IQ improvements and ISO performance suggests there's maybe not much progress there.

In terms of price though, there's still a bit gap left by the 1D4, below the 1DX. Maybe that's the slot reserved for a super hi-res 40mp-plus full-framer known to be around.

Bob
The other 1D bodies up too the 1Dmkiv had 1Cf and 1SD the same as the 7Dmkii.

Matt Granger has taken some high iso photographs from the 7D MK II, they look useable at 6400 ISO. Here is a link to his youtube video :

Here is a link to the photograph samples on his site:
http://mattgranger.com/7d2
How did that muppet get hold of a test sample?
His exposures and focus are all over the place, and we're supposed to judge the camera with those?:mad:

Bob

Retains? I think that you are mixing yourself up with Nikon.

The 1Dx was the first Canon to use dual CF slots. Every other model prior to that has been CF/SD.

How did that muppet get hold of a test sample?
His exposures and focus are all over the place, and we're supposed to judge the camera with those?:mad:

I disagree. If you read the Exif, he's increased the ISO whilst keep the EV almost exactly level.

What has screwed him, however, is the cycling of the light power.

I'd say the test was fairly relevant; done in a live situation, in relatively poor light (equivalent of an indoor lit stadium) and producing very usable results.

The 128k shot is easily as good as my 5DIII and even the 512K image is good enough for news print.

That'll do me!

It's just occurred to me that with f8 sensitivity on the centre point I can put a 2x TC on my 400/4.... and I have a spare £400 thx to the pricing! It's not a bad old world sometimes ;)

I disagree. If you read the Exif, he's increased the ISO whilst keep the EV almost exactly level.

What has screwed him, however, is the cycling of the light power.

I'd say the test was fairly relevant; done in a live situation, in relatively poor light (equivalent of an indoor lit stadium) and producing very usable results.

The 128k shot is easily as good as my 5DIII and even the 512K image is good enough for news print.

That'll do me!
At least one of those shots is half a stop underexposed compared to the rest, and at least one is way out of focus. I'm not blaming the camera for any of that, nor am I prepared to give him an inch for lousy shooting conditions.

At least one of those shots is half a stop underexposed compared to the rest, and at least one is way out of focus. I'm not blaming the camera for any of that, nor am I prepared to give him an inch for lousy shooting conditions.

Dont look at his use of the 400mm then... you might end up crying. (it was with 6d too).

Last edited:

You are still missing the point. That's exactly what I want to see. Not some carefully managed shoot co-ordinated by Canon.
I want to see real field work, including exposure errors. Only that can really tell you what the camera is capable of - including exposure recovery.

Perfect tests are next to useless.

Dont look at his use of the 400mm then... you might end up crying. (it was with 6d too).
Just watching that, the things bloody tiny! Was expecting at least 300 2.8 sizing and it's clearly smaller than that. Pretty light too.

If I was a Canon person I'd be looking at both the 7Dii and 400 DO.

For me, Canon appear to have answered my wish list. I love my 7D, but the AF areas are too large for my main use and I find that it does lose AF very easily during sequences. I am not too bothered by high ISO above 1600, although if it is that much better I may find myself using this. I use Phase one RAW converter which gives better oise reduction than ACR I've found. The new AF module with 65 all cross-type and the new intelligent tracking function may just be what I am looking for. Even more pleasing is that they have kept the price down. £1599 at launch is cheaper than the 7D, and I expect once stocks circulate that this will come closer to £1100-£1200. I must say I am tempted by WEX's 0% APR on pre-orders though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back