Canon 7d11

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a body I'd be more interested to see what Hdew can do on price. That said, I did just buy a G7 X from Digital Rev, but for a full blown DSLR I'd feel happier with a longer warranty and full local support, not just for repairs, but calibration and any other servicing.

Hi there... I am just wondering how these very different beasts would mean a straight swap.... I was meandering down the second body route....GAS attack!
For me, my main nterest is wildlife, I chose the 5D3 for the high iso and af performance, however I do miss the extra reach of the crop. Ideally I'll keep both but need to check with the BM first :)

1399 on digital Rev, wonder what Panamoz bacs will be
This matches (within a few quid) the price in France at the Canon dealer (High Street store) from where I've ordered mine. As I wrote earlier in this thread, the so called "early adopters" premium doesn't seem to exist over here but UK prices generally fall below French prices once the premium has been whittled away.

Bob

Looking good for the new year sales once all the "new camera=better images" buyers have moaned at the "i thought it would have less noise" :meh: :indifferent:

For a body I'd be more interested to see what Hdew can do on price. That said, I did just buy a G7 X from Digital Rev, but for a full blown DSLR I'd feel happier with a longer warranty and full local support, not just for repairs, but calibration and any other servicing.

Yeh fair enough - bought my 5D3 from DR in July 2012 not put a foot wrong since and was a good saving versus Britain, over 600 quid with grip cheaper

Hdew any good, not used them yet

This matches (within a few quid) the price in France at the Canon dealer (High Street store) from where I've ordered mine. As I wrote earlier in this thread, the so called "early adopters" premium doesn't seem to exist over here but UK prices generally fall below French prices once the premium has been whittled away.

Bob

Cool yeh a shop in Swiss where my brother lives always surprises me with their normal prices, still far cheaper than UK

Does anybody know if Jessops will be shipping this week like everyone else?

....A phonecall will give you the most reliable answer but most of the major Canon appointed retailers are receiving them directly from Japan later this week and shipping out the pre-orders the following day. I don't think they'll be left with much stock from this first batch.

Only 4 more sleeps, all being well! :)

....A phonecall will give you the most reliable answer but most of the major Canon appointed retailers are receiving them directly from Japan later this week and shipping out the pre-orders the following day. I don't think they'll be left with much stock from this first batch.

Only 4 more sleeps, all being well! :)
Yeah, I got my preorder in with them on September 20th so hope I'll get one from the first batch.

I'll email their customer support again tomorrow. Last week when the reports started to come out about October 30th they told me they still expected November.

I can't wait for other people to see if they are any good or not....! Haha

....I'm curious why you would favour the opinion of someone on an internet forum (such as on TP) rather than a full preview video by someone like, Tony Northrup, Scott Kelby, Peter Read Miller, who are independent professionals and not on Canon's payroll.

It is more likely that someone (not everyone!!) on an internet forum is likely to either be anally critical about a feature or overly praiseworthy because they feel a need to justify their purchase (me perhaps?). I'm not saying that there aren't some folks on TP whose opinions matter and are worth taking notice of, but how do you know who they are?

Sorry, but those professionals I mentioned have published videos, combined with my reading the Manual PDF, which have convinced me to pre-order and feel confident about what's going to be delivered to my door on Friday.

....I'm curious why you would favour the opinion of someone on an internet forum (such as on TP) rather than a full preview video by someone like, Tony Northrup, Scott Kelby, Peter Read Miller, who are independent professionals and not on Canon's payroll.

It is more likely that someone (not everyone!!) on an internet forum is likely to either be anally critical about a feature or overly praiseworthy because they feel a need to justify their purchase (me perhaps?). I'm not saying that there aren't some folks on TP whose opinions matter and are worth taking notice of, but how do you know who they are?

Sorry, but those professionals I mentioned have published videos, combined with my reading the Manual PDF, which have convinced me to pre-order and feel confident about what's going to be delivered to my door on Friday.
To my knowledge the professional reviews are all of beta units and, given the lack of raw software other than DPP, are not representative of real world results for people shooting raw and using Adobe or other raw software. I have absolutely no interest in JPEG output from the camera and I hate DPP. For me the reviews which matter are yet to come.

We just started a 7D2 owner's thread a bit lower down the page, should be interesting for when supplies start to come through.

To my knowledge the professional reviews are all of beta units and, given the lack of raw software other than DPP, are not representative of real world results for people shooting raw and using Adobe or other raw software. I have absolutely no interest in JPEG output from the camera and I hate DPP. For me the reviews which matter are yet to come.

....Yes, the professional's reviews (previews) are of late beta units. I too only shoot RAW and have no interest in JPEG, but given how the whole range of RAW-capability Canon DSLR cameras deliver RAW, are you feeling apprehensive in any way about RAW captures in the 7D Mark II?

I am an amateur wildlife photographer: https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/

In my experience Adobe does not get it right with their first release of raw support for new Canon cameras. The 7D was especially troublesome for them and I think the 50D and even 40D processing saw improvements over time. The biggest question marks for me are regarding noise and acuity. These are the very areas in which raw software can make or break the camera. Since the raw support is not there yet I am more than happy to wait before making a purchasing decision, by which time I also hope to see a nice drop in price. In all honesty I am very like to purchase a 7D2, but not this year.

In my experience Adobe does not get it right with their first release of raw support for new Canon cameras. The 7D was especially troublesome for them and I think the 50D and even 40D processing saw improvements over time. The biggest question marks for me are regarding noise and acuity. These are the very areas in which raw software can make or break the camera. Since the raw support is not there yet I am more than happy to wait before making a purchasing decision, by which time I also hope to see a nice drop in price. In all honesty I am very like to purchase a 7D2, but not this year.

....Fair enough, Tim. Being born in Macdom, I use Apple's Aperture for P-P (not Adobe Lightroom) and usually just apply background noise reduction and sharpening in Photoshop CS6 as finishing steps. I am hoping that Apple hurry up with releasing their 7D2 RAW Compatibility Update. Until then, it will have to be JPEG.

Also, being 67yo, life is not a rehearsal and I am keen to further develop the potential of my amateur wildlife photography sooner rather than later. I currently use a Canon 70D (and enjoy it very much) plus four telephoto L lenses.

Most of the reviews I've read generally start with "I've been given this pre-production body for x-hours". How well can you judge a camera in hours? The real reviews will come out when people have had their own cameras for weeks and months when they feel comfortable to leave a review that is more than a first impressions type thing.

Plus I would like to see plenty of photos from the camera (especially aviation/motorsport) in question before I put any of my hard earned cash on the line. It will also highlight any problems that are in the production cameras and allow time for patches for software to be written. And the price drops!

So a win win?

Don't get me wrong I would order it now in a heartbeat if money no object but seeing as both the motorsport and flying seasons are drawing to a close there is no rush for me, so I'd rather wait!

When I spoke to Andy Rouse (who just loved the camera) he had had one for over a week, and was about to take it to Antarctica for three weeks - I think he is still there. Certainly not just a few hours and he was really putting it through its paces.

. I am hoping that Apple hurry up with releasing their 7D2 RAW Compatibility Update. Until then, it will have to be JPEG.

Well you could always convert them from RAW to TIFF then edit them - assuming Aperture will edit TIFFs.

I feel I can rely enough on the previews by those independent professionals whose opinions I already trust. I did the same with my 70D a year ago and absolutely no problems nor regrets.

You have only to read the list of features and to match that with the type of photography you do to realise whether the 7D2 is likely to satisfy you or not. If you have bought into the Canon system it's only a question of either whether you need a crop-sensor body or not, or whether it satisfactorily replaces a camera you already own.

As an amateur wildlife photographer I want to be sufficiently fluent / fluid with a new camera before a season starts, not by the time it is ending. I've said so before, but at 67yo why on earth should I wait? To save only a relatively small amount of money? - Nah.

I feel I can rely enough on the previews by those independent professionals whose opinions I already trust. I did the same with my 70D a year ago and absolutely no problems nor regrets.

You have only to read the list of features and to match that with the type of photography you do to realise whether the 7D2 is likely to satisfy you or not. If you have bought into the Canon system it's only a question of either whether you need a crop-sensor body or not, or whether it satisfactorily replaces a camera you already own.

As an amateur wildlife photographer I want to be sufficiently fluent / fluid with a new camera before a season starts, not by the time it is ending. I've said so before, but at 67yo why on earth should I wait? To save only a relatively small amount of money? - Nah.

At 19 I have plenty of time to wait and save 'a relatively small amount of money'. I wouldn't say no to ~£200... And I won't get used properly anger until next spring anyway even if I did get it tomorrow!

Unless there are horrendous inconsistencies between individual cameras like on the 7D I will have one - Because yes I have invested plenty of money into the Canon system (in the form of a 500mm f4L) and I need a new crop camera to replace my 50D. If not a 7DII then a 5DIII as I think that is the next best thing IMO.

Anyway, each to their own. Enjoy your new camera!

When I spoke to Andy Rouse (who just loved the camera) he had had one for over a week, and was about to take it to Antarctica for three weeks - I think he is still there. Certainly not just a few hours and he was really putting it through its paces.

I think I'd wait for more independent views than from someone who has such a close relationship with Canon. ;) Not saying he is right or wrong, just that like Scott Kelby, I don't find them the most independent of people to be listening to. :)

They are just more views to add to other to get an overall feeling about how the camera will turn out.
Not long before it gets into the hands of 'real' people. ;) Ooh, there'll be views coming left, right and centre. :LOL:

They are just more views to add to other to get an overall feeling about how the camera will turn out.
Not long before it gets into the hands of 'real' people. ;) Ooh, there'll be views coming left, right and centre. :LOL:

Mines being delivered Thursday so it'll get a good workout at the Watford game on Saturday.

One thing I don't get is the jpegs look great at ISO 16,000 on some of the sites, but Digital Photography Review has the RAW images looking quite noisy at ISO 3200 on the studio samples comparison? Is the 7D MK II applying heavy noise reduction to the jpegs whilst leaving the RAW untouched?

One thing I don't get is the jpegs look great at ISO 16,000 on some of the sites, but Digital Photography Review has the RAW images looking quite noisy at ISO 3200 on the studio samples comparison? Is the 7D MK II applying heavy noise reduction to the jpegs whilst leaving the RAW untouched?
The raw files would, of course, be untouched and in camera noise reduction on jpegs is the exact reason I ignore reviews published to date. My interest is in raw files processed in Lightroom. Until I see satisfactory results there my money stays in my pocket.

The raw files would, of course, be untouched and in camera noise reduction on jpegs is the exact reason I ignore reviews published to date. My interest is in raw files processed in Lightroom. Until I see satisfactory results there my money stays in my pocket.

I hope that there is some improvement in high ISO performance in RAW and hope that all the shots that look good at ISO 16000 aren't just the result of post heavy image processing, specifically noise reduction. We will have to wait and see. If there is and improvement of 2 stops difference in noise reduction in RAW compared to the 7D MK I then I'd happily get it, if it were only 1 stop difference maybe not so much. Still too early yet, well some of the others on this forum will soon have the 7D MK II in their hands and they'll be able to tell us how the camera performs with high iso performance in RAW. I'll let them be the guinea pigs and let them figure it out before I decided whether to get one or not.

I hope that there is some improvement in high ISO performance in RAW and hope that all the shots that look good at ISO 16000 aren't just the result of post heavy image processing, specifically noise reduction.
I think that it's inevitable that shots at Iso 16000 have been cleaned up considerably. Once you get into those levels then having something to work with is a more reasonable expectation. NR, be it in-camera or PP is now an accepted part of the process when pushing towards the limits.

Bob

I accept that there will be significant post noise reduction on the jpegs at ISO 16000. What I am interested in is the shots taken at ISO 3200 and 6400 and wonder if the lack of noise is purely due to post noise reduction from the camera, or whether the actual performance is good without any noise reduction with regards to pure RAW images with no noise reduction.

Still too early yet, well some of the others on this forum will soon have the 7D MK II in their hands and they'll be able to tell us how the camera performs with high iso performance in RAW. I'll let them be the guinea pigs and let them figure it out before I decided whether to get one or not.

....How am I, for example, going to do that if Apple haven't released a 'RAW Camera Compatibility Update' for the 7D2 yet? I don't use Lightroom, I use Aperture and Photoshop CS6 to process RAW. My 7D2 is en route to me by courier right now.

....How am I, for example, going to do that if Apple haven't released a 'RAW Camera Compatibility Update' for the 7D2 yet? I don't use Lightroom, I use Aperture and Photoshop CS6 to process RAW. My 7D2 is en route to me by courier right now.

Shoot some raw images at ISO 6400, then use 'Digital Photo Professional' software that comes with the camera on the software cd and convert the RAW images to a 16bit lossless TIFF. You'll be able to load a TIFF into Lightroom, Photoshop and other programs.

Shoot some raw images at ISO 6400, then use 'Digital Photo Professional' software that comes with the camera on the software cd and convert the RAW images to a 16bit lossless TIFF. You'll be able to load a TIFF into Lightroom, Photoshop and other programs.

....That's very helpful indeed, Michael - Cheers! :)

Am I right in thinking that you guys would ideally like to see my TIFF images (after DPP conversion) before any post-processing in Aperture and/or Photoshop?

If so, I best check whether the online hosts I use (Photobucket and Flickr) will upload them so I can post them here on TP, but don't those online hosts apply their own losses to images?

Can you also post them on the official 7D owners thread as well, please?

......and convert the RAW images to a 16bit lossless TIFF. You'll be able to load a TIFF into Lightroom, Photoshop and other programs.
But don't those programs still use a camera profile based on the camera model on which the data was captured?

Bob

Looking good for the new year sales once all the "new camera=better images" buyers have moaned at the "i thought it would have less noise" :meh: :indifferent:

....For me, moving from a 70D to a 7D2, it's more a case of 'new camera = me better able to capture certain types of images' and also having a camera which offers me somewhere to grow my potential. And, incidentally, suits my L lenses better. And......... I could go on!

Technology never stands still and last year's 70D has been shown to have noise improvements. The strong indications are that the 7D2 will have developed it further, even if only by a small margin. The 1DX is the camera which has the world class reputation for lack of noise. So, if someone can't accept some noise, nor use software to reduce it, then they better buy a 1DX.

The irony of this is that when I first joined TP almost a year ago, posted my images in the Bird section, made a comment that I didn't mind noise, I got verbally hung drawn and quartered!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back