Canon 7d11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, same problem here in Safari on a Mac, so I just downloaded it and opened it in Adobe Acrobat Professional. Looking forward to settling down and reading it properly later.

The PDF icon shows it as locked but it's not.

Probably comparable given that it's newer technology but with a considerably higher pixel density. I think that the 1Dx pushed ahead of the 5D3 simply because they made a fair reduction in the pixel density from the 1Ds3 but kept it higher on the 5D3.
Time will tell I suppose but I suspect that it'll be an afternoon sports body and not too useful after dark at all but the top grounds.

Bob

Yes that is what I was thinking.

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating. Until the 7D II is actually in use, it's speculation.

I'm satisfied with ISO 1600 on my 70D so I don't expect to be disappointed by my 7D II when it arrives.

....It's in Wex? - Only available to pre-order, as it also is in Park Cameras and doubtless one or two other retailers.

Someone mentioned 17th November to me the other evening but I don't know where they got that information. Park Cameras will be contacting me the moment it arrives with them as I have one on pre-order and payment is already arranged.
Oh yeh, missedvthat bit. Sorry folks :coat:

Flickr set of 7dmk2 images here as posted on canonwatch

Just had a quick look at the photographs on the 7D MK II posted on flickr and I am majorly impressed. Looking at the ISO of the girl at 3200 ISO I saw no noise at all and all the details were there, compared to my 7DK MK I at ISO 3200 it would have been noisy as hell. I am not a Canon fanboy or Nikon bashing, but would say that if this is what the 7D MK II can do then it is an absolutely huge increase in ISO performance. Still to be honest it is early days but the looking at that, the signs are looking very good indeed. Chances are that more samples will come out soon. I'll be keeping an eye on them.

To be honest as a photographer I shoot architecture and 98% it on a tripod shooting at 100 ISO and happy with the results that I get. It was only at a family party about a month or two ago when shooting people that I started to have problems with 7D MK I. A fair few of the photographs were shot with a speedlite on camera and they were fine, though there were a few photographs that I wanted to shoot without the speedlite that I had problems with. A few of the shots I wanted to shoot with the ambient light of the dance floor and not use flash. I was shooting with a wide aperture of about f2. To get the shots I had to use an ISO of 3200 and they were fairly noisy. Looking at sample shots of the 7D MK II at 3200 ISO they look noise free and to me it would be well worth the upgrade from the MK I, not for the architecture but for shooting people at high iso.

The first 14 shots say Taken on January 1, 2000 whilst the rest say Taken on September 15, 2014
that's a whopping 14 years later !!

The first 14 shots say Taken on January 1, 2000 whilst the rest say Taken on September 15, 2014
that's a whopping 14 years later !!

....Yes, I noticed that too but I think the full list of EXIF data is more reliable.

Those shots are very impressive regarding ISO and also ability to record detail in the shadows against a white sky. However, I don't think we know how much post-processing may have been done in Lightroom (EXIF listed).

I'm also curious how this photographer came to use a new 70D Mark II - His work doesn't look like that of a talented professional but looks rather ordinary, but perhaps that's a better test - Some 'ordinary' shots rather than slick marketing images.

....Yes, I noticed that too but I think the full list of EXIF data is more reliable.

not sure what to make of this from the full exif data of the first pic
  • Date and Time (Modified) -2014:09:15 20:48:27
  • ISO Speed - 100
  • Sensitivity Type - Recommended Exposure Index
  • Recommended Exposure Index -100
  • Exif Version - 0230
  • Date and Time (Original) -2000:01:01 09:02:18
  • Date and Time (Digitized) -2000:01:01 09:02:18

Has anyone heard or read how many bracketed exposures the 7d mkii will be capable of. I'm used to only having 3 exposures but I'd presume the 7d will do about 5?

Has anyone heard or read how many bracketed exposures the 7d mkii will be capable of. I'm used to only having 3 exposures but I'd presume the 7d will do about 5?
2,3,5 or 7 shots

Bob

"We will know for sure in late November when this camera is scheduled to start shipping. I have placed a pre-order and will be doing an in depth review as soon as I get mine. A set up guide will also be forthcoming."

Glenn Bartley, 29 September 2014

Looking forward to getting one as I'm hoping it'll be a backup for my 1Dx and be a step up from the 7D's sensor (which it looks like it is.)

One complaint, however, why doesn't Canon offer a grip as an option which takes the same battery as the 1 Dx?...I never thought of this until on a recent trip with some Nikon friends, they told me this is an option on the D800/810, and for travelling it saves another charger to cart around which is a great bonus.

Also as I'm in the moaning mood, would it be too difficult for software updates such as the latest DPP ones to be done via a software update drop down instead of this nonsense of having to visit the website and fiddle about downloading the update?

George.

One complaint, however, why doesn't Canon offer a grip as an option which takes the same battery as the 1 Dx?...I never thought of this until on a recent trip with some Nikon friends, they told me this is an option on the D800/810, and for travelling it saves another charger to cart around which is a great bonus.
You'd need to drop about 4v from the LP-E4 to the LP-E6....possible but not entirely practical.

Also as I'm in the moaning mood, would it be too difficult for software updates such as the latest DPP ones to be done via a software update drop down instead of this nonsense of having to visit the website and fiddle about downloading the update?
George.
And not use your visit to entice you to spend on other goodies? Perhaps they could be persuaded to do it just for Scottish (and Yorkshire) based IP addresses.

Bob

Well, Bob, dropping the voltage shouldn't be a problem, I was thinking of a DC to AC inverter, an iron cored transformer with a suitable tapping on the secondary winding, and then a series of diodes and smoothing capacitors (with suitably large heat sinks of course)!...easy, cheap and wouldn't take up any space!!

Agreed about the reason to visit their site, at least they wouldn't have to introduce a new language (and currency!!) for the Scots now, thank goodness!

Seriously, it shouldn't be a problem with the voltage, must look and see if the Nikon's voltage is different for the 800 and D4s...

George.

The different battery voltage between the 1srs and lower models is undoubtedly there to keep the 1srs bodies at the top of the AF charts. The higher voltage enables 1srs bodies to drive the lens' AF motor faster during the initial search although tracking reverts to 'normal speed'. It doesn't really preclude your solution, George, but at least explains why there's a difference.

Bob

3588C9E81B8B48509510793CE2A94CF9.jpg

12800iso,

That looks great! Looks better than a 7d at 3200!

12800iso,

That looks great! Looks better than a 7d at 3200!

....Considering all the new and advanced latest-state-of-the-art technology Canon have packed into the 7D Mark II, I don't think this is surprising. But of course, our expectations aren't always met!

That's a good image to see, Chris - Where's it come from?

The different battery voltage between the 1srs and lower models is undoubtedly there to keep the 1srs bodies at the top of the AF charts. The higher voltage enables 1srs bodies to drive the lens' AF motor faster during the initial search although tracking reverts to 'normal speed'. It doesn't really preclude your solution, George, but at least explains why there's a difference.

Bob

Yes, I realise that, Bob, it'll be really interesting to compare AF speeds between the 7D2 and 1Dx...you thinking of getting one?

George.

....Considering all the new and advanced latest-state-of-the-art technology Canon have packed into the 7D Mark II, I don't think this is surprising. But of course, our expectations aren't always met!

That's a good image to see, Chris - Where's it come from?

Yup, we are 5 years down the line from the original, so it should be better!!

Yes, I realise that, Bob, it'll be really interesting to compare AF speeds between the 7D2 and 1Dx...you thinking of getting one?

George.

I have one on order, George. Here in France the "early adopter's premium" never really happens and so things are cheaper at the off (you may remember the 1Dx prices). The other side is that the prices don't generally follow the UK prices down either.....1Dx's are still the same price I got mine for as a pre-order.

Bob

I have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel ... canon are rumoured to have a 48MP 5D4 in the pipeline ... if that happens some 7D2 owners are bound to trade up at which point me and my 0% apr drastic plastic can pounce on MPB like a wolf on its prey and get a minty fresh 7d2 for considerably less than new price ;)

... canon are rumoured to have a 48MP 5D4 in the pipeline ... if that happens some 7D2 owners are bound to trade up

....Some 7D2 owners might trade up perhaps but only those with deep pockets - The cost difference is likely to be a couple of thousand pounds on such a transaction.

Also, depending on what you photograph, full-frame has undoubtedly higher image quality generally but crop-sensors have some very valuable advantages which are enough to want to stay with crop. Indeed, this new 7D2 may be the camera which keeps me on crop-sensor bodies inspite of having only L lenses.

Jessops 5% off camera bodies ends tonight too, I'm very seriously considering one but should I wait....hmmm...

....Are you sure Jessops 5% discount offer isn't for the 7D (Mark I) and not the brand new Mark II? Or is it a carrot to get advance sales?

....Some 7D2 owners might trade up perhaps but only those with deep pockets - The cost difference is likely to be a couple of thousand pounds on such a transaction.

only takes a few though ... course the dilemma then is minty fresh 7d2 or slightly more used but low acts 5d3 :LOL: (or I could stop procrastinating and get a low acts 7d1 now)

....Are you sure Jessops 5% discount offer isn't for the 7D (Mark I) and not the brand new Mark II? Or is it a carrot to get advance sales?

tried 5% jessops last night it would not work ? although it says the end of the month

That's made my decision easier then, I had naively thought it was on all camera bodies.
I'm back to sitting on the fence waiting to see the prices drop ;)

only takes a few though ... course the dilemma then is minty fresh 7d2 or slightly more used but low acts 5d3 :LOL: (or I could stop procrastinating and get a low acts 7d1 now)
Or wait 12months and buy a used 7d mkii AND a 5d3 :D:D

Any high megapixel body won't have the frame rate for wildlife as far as I'm concerned, it'll be a studio/landscape camera rather as was the 1 Ds mk3 so I'll be sticking to my plan of a 1 Dx and 7D2 as an ideal combo.

How would a 48 megapixel perform if you are cramming the individual sensor elements in the same form factor of a full frame sensor with regard to noise performance? To be honest I would rather have an 18 megapixel full frame sensor camera if it were performing better at high iso performance then having a 48 megapixel full frame sensor with lower performance ISO performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back