Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II....at last, it's announced!!

A quick play with the lens as the light starts to improve here.
This is with 1.4x kenko 300 dgx, 560mm, iso800, F8, 1/500 on 5D3
I already prefer it to the tamron 150-600mm in terms of size/weight.
50% crop and slight sharpen for web.

....I'm interested in the fact that you used a Kenko 1.4x Pro300 DGX on your new lens. Is that because you don't have a Canon 1.4x III Extender? Or, if you do, is there any reason for preferring one 1.4x to the other?

I ask because I have both these 1.4x and plan to buy the new Canon 100-400mm II in the next few months (if my patience can hold out that long!). I bought the Kenko 1.4x to use on my Canon 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro because Canon's extender doesn't physically fit that particular lens.

Your samples don't help my hunger for this lens! :D

I don't have the canon extender because it wasn't compatible with the 70-300L that I owned previously.

I don't have the canon extender because it wasn't compatible with the 70-300L that I owned previously.

....Thanks for your reply :). It seems that Canon's extenders are a tad fussy! My Canon 1.4x III works very well on my 70-200mm F/4L IS (which is what I bought it for). The Kenko is great on my 100mm when wanted and is easier to pop on and off a lens than the Canon extender.

Have now sorted out the money for a new Canon 100-400mm L II and it's just a matter of waiting to see if it gets offered or not on Canon's cashback scheme in the Spring. I'm not keen on going the grey import route having read Canon's web site, but that's another subject already discussed to death!

So, does anyone know from experience of the past when Canon's Spring offer is likely to be? Early March? Mid-April?

I doubt that anyone outside Canon will know exactly when any offers will be coming, and personally I'd doubt if such a new lens will be in such an offer, Robin, but equally once stock is plentiful, I'd expect prices to drop fairly rapidly, but again, by how much?
All very much up in the air at the moment.

I doubt that anyone outside Canon will know exactly when any offers will be coming, and personally I'd doubt if such a new lens will be in such an offer, Robin, but equally once stock is plentiful, I'd expect prices to drop fairly rapidly, but again, by how much?
All very much up in the air at the moment.

....Certainly no-one outside the inner sanctum of Canon will know exactly the date of the start of the Spring cashback scheme and what exactly will be on the list is even less known.

However, since my post asking the question, I have found out that both the 2013 and 2104 Spring cashback schemes started at the beginning of March. So that would be a date to speculate as being likely in 2015.

Whether this particular lens will be on the list or not is something which only time will tell but talking to people in retail it is definitely a possible contender rather than a 'no-chancer'.

I notice from pictures in reviews that the new lens has two threaded holes in the tripod mount foot. Obviously a good feature to stop horizontal twisting while mounted.

It looks like I may be buying an Arca-Swiss head plate before I magically convert a small piece of plastic into a large lump of carefully crafted Canon glass in March, and so can anyone who already has this lens please tell me the foot length? - I need to decide whether to get a 75mm or 100mm long plate.

Thanks for any help :)

Picking mine up Wednesday. Looking forward to trying it. Anyone want a 300 f4?

..... I need to decide whether to get a 75mm or 100mm long plate.
If you're heading for a Gimbal then I'd suggest the longer option. The balance point changes considerably if you add a converter, body with or without grip, 1srs body...a longer plate allows a more flexible setup IMHO.

Bob

If you're heading for a Gimbal then I'd suggest the longer option. The balance point changes considerably if you add a converter, body with or without grip, 1srs body...a longer plate allows a more flexible setup IMHO.

Bob

....Not heading for a gimbal, Bob, after what I learnt in the thread I started on the subject. Am considering the Arca-Swiss P0 ballhead.

Good point about the flexibility of a longer plate but I don't want to get one which is too long as it will live on my lens collar foot and be in my palm when camera is handheld. Hence my asking for the foot length.

I have the arca swiss P0 ballhead with universal quick release plate 48.
http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/arca-swiss-monoballfix-quick-release-camera-plate-48-universal.html
It works fine with the lens.
I think the actual foot length (before it begins to curve) is about 55mm

....Many Thanks, Marie - That's very helpful :)

I spoke with Robert White this afternoon (they're not far from where I live) and they suggested the 802284 plate because it has two fixing points. They are available in different lengths.

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/camera...-75-quick-release-camera-plate-75-x-32mm.html

Good to hear you are happy with the lens on an Arca-Swiss P0. Which P0 version are you using?

100-400%20foot.jpg

Last edited:
In regard to ARCA plates, for my mkI 100-400 I got the Whimberly plate specifically designed by them for it and a key factor in the choice was that it is shaped with a slight curve that matches the curve on the foot thus only needs a single screw to attach it as the shape is designed to stop twisting.

Robin, that's the wrong kind of A-S plate - it's for the smaller A-S dovetail. The standard dovetail that everybody copies is 38mm wide.

I would take Bob's advice and go for a longer 100mm plate. One of the advantages of the A-S system is you can slide the lens back and forth for optimum balance, but that position changes when you zoom, or attach a heavier camera with battery grip, or just when pointing the lens up or down. I doubt that a longer plate will get in the way at all.

Those custom branded plates are very nice for sure, but I'm really not that fussed. I use all sorts of plates and clamps for my work and last time I bought several of these, priced from £5-10. Quality is excellent! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eggsnow-Uni..._sbs_ce_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0HK8W4Q542KKTTN7PF2Y They are technically camera plates rather than lens plates, but I wouldn't hesitate to use them on a lens like the 100-400 (a 600/4 might be different). They are very strong and when done up tight the rubber grips bite into the grooved underside of the lens foot securely, so very unlikely they're going to rotate, especially considering that kind of twisting force doesn't apply to lenses mounted via a collar. But that's just me and you might think differently, just sayin' ;)

Edit: this might come in handy - with a longer A-S plate that overhangs the lens foot, you can drill a 10mm hole in one corner and the Black Rapid spring-clip will fit directly to it.

Last edited:
In regard to ARCA plates, for my mkI 100-400 I got the Whimberly plate specifically designed by them for it and a key factor in the choice was that it is shaped with a slight curve that matches the curve on the foot thus only needs a single screw to attach it as the shape is designed to stop twisting.

....Do you have a link or reference # for that Wimberley plate, please?

Renowned wildlife photographer Arthur Morris suggests a Wimberley P-20 plate for the 100-400mm Mk2 but the P-30 is ~100mm: http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-wimberley-p30-quick-release-plate/p15132

Last edited:
Hi Robin

Will do but on smartphone so will sort it out later when on the PC.

Edit - was quicker to look at and measure the plate it is 98mm long so likely the P30???, yes longer than the foot itself but that does also give you more to grip when handling it. It would be best to email Whimberley to check what plate they advise for the mkII lens foot?

Last edited:
Robin, that's the wrong kind of A-S plate - it's for the smaller A-S dovetail. The standard dovetail that everybody copies is 38mm wide.

....According to Robert White, who are officially appointed UK dealers for Arca-Swiss and stock their whole range, that #802284 plate which I linked to is the right plate for the Arca-Swiss P0 version I am thinking of getting. I am told that "Arca-Swiss are fed up with having their plates copied" and have revised their head designs accordingly.

I would take Bob's advice and go for a longer 100mm plate. One of the advantages of the A-S system is you can slide the lens back and forth for optimum balance, but that position changes when you zoom, or attach a heavier camera with battery grip, or just when pointing the lens up or down. I doubt that a longer plate will get in the way at all.

....Yes, 100mm plate length is the one I will go for - Thanks :)

Although I will want some front><back adjustability I don't think it will be as critical when mounted on a monopod rather than a gimbal - I am no longer considering a gimbal for my monopod thanks to advice in that thread. But I understand that the option of adjusting the balance is still a consideration.

[snip >]... They are very strong and when done up tight the rubber grips bite into the grooved underside of the lens foot securely, so very unlikely they're going to rotate, especially considering that kind of twisting force doesn't apply to lenses mounted via a collar. But that's just me and you might think differently, just sayin' ;)

....I have had the experience on a couple of occasions when a Manfrotto RC2 plate mounted on the lens collar of a Canon 100mm Macro has twisted/rotated and consequently started to potentially loosen. The circumstances were when mounted on a Manfrotto ball head on a tripod when the tension on the ball was too tight (to prevent floppiness) and I was adjusting the camera position by gripping the body (as normal) but without loosening the ball enough. I am expecting and hoping that the Arca-Swiss P0 ballheads are better engineered regarding tension and fluidity.

Edit: this might come in handy - with a longer A-S plate that overhangs the lens foot, you can drill a 10mm hole in one corner and the Black Rapid spring-clip will fit directly to it.

....I very much appreciate your help and tips but I do find that the BlackRapid carib and fastener are very fiddly indeed to release/attach to each other and I am considering using an Acratech Swift Clamp - Horribly expensive I know but really perfect for my need for speed.... Especially as I use a BlackRapid lock on their carib.

^ The music sounds like the beginning to a TV news broadcast!

Last edited:
Robin

As mentioned previously I have a Whimberley clamp (a C12 if I recall) attached to BR strap. Granted not as quick to switch as rapid clamp but works for me :)

Thanks, 'Box B' :)

Here's a solution using an even longer plate than 100mm but I think that the plate would then be too uncomfortable when handholding....

Acratech%20SwiftClamp%20longplate.jpg

^ This also relates directly to the 100-400mm Mk2 on a 'pod.

Last edited:
Thanks, 'Box B' :)

Here's a solution using an even longer plate than 100mm but I think that the plate would then be too uncomfortable when handholding....
I simply swing the tripod mount up to the top when hand holding (300/2.8 and 200/2) so it doesn't really matter what's attached to it.

Bob

....According to Robert White, who are officially appointed UK dealers for Arca-Swiss and stock their whole range, that #802284 plate which I linked to is the right plate for the Arca-Swiss P0 version I am thinking of getting. I am told that "Arca-Swiss are fed up with having their plates copied" and have revised their head designs accordingly.

<snip>

That plate is for the P0 head fitted with the MonoballFix quick-release, this one http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/camera...ll-and-socket-p0-with-monoballfix-device.html But the one I thought you were getting is this, with Acratech clamp? http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/camera...and-socket-p0-with-1-4-3-8-threaded-disk.html Acratech uses the standard A-S dovetail, 38mm/1.5in wide, as does everyone else.

As for Arca-Swiss being fed up with everybody copying their system, well, that horse bolted long ago ;)

I take your other comments too, though I'd say that a 100mm A-S plate properly attached is nothing like a little M'frotto RC2 jobbie. But each to their own, I'm just throwing a few suggestions out for you or anyone else, whatever works for you is cool :)

That plate is for the P0 head fitted with the MonoballFix quick-release, this one http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/camera...ll-and-socket-p0-with-monoballfix-device.html But the one I thought you were getting is this, with Acratech clamp? http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/camera...and-socket-p0-with-1-4-3-8-threaded-disk.html Acratech uses the standard A-S dovetail, 38mm/1.5in wide, as does everyone else.

As for Arca-Swiss being fed up with everybody copying their system, well, that horse bolted long ago ;)

I take your other comments too, though I'd say that a 100mm A-S plate properly attached is nothing like a little M'frotto RC2 jobbie. But each to their own, I'm just throwing a few suggestions out for you or anyone else, whatever works for you is cool :)

....I was at one time considering the A-S P0 with threaded disk but didn't fancy the idea of having to use Loctite to secure a third-party plate-platform, so changed to consider the A-S P0 MonoballFix Device head which only appears to take 32mm plates.

In deciding the Acratech Swift Clamp (which is currently in stock at Bob Rigby) and which takes Wimberley and other 38mm plates but not the A-S 32mm plate (now confirmed by Acratech), I am now giving serious thought to the very compact Acratech GP-SS ballhead! Then I know for certain that everything will fit and open and close superfast and with the same lever mechanisms.

Acratech GP-SS: http://www.acratech.net/ballheads/gp/gpss

I am very much appreciating your suggestions, Richard, and everyone else's - It's how I have arrived at this range of choices now. Plus, as you say, all this info is potentially helpful to others who read this thread.

Last edited:
....I was at one time considering the A-S P0 with threaded disk but didn't fancy the idea of having to use Loctite to secure a third-party plate-platform, so changed to consider the A-S P0 MonoballFix Device head which only appears to take 32mm plates.

In deciding the Acratech Swift Clamp (which is currently in stock at Bob Rigby) and which takes Wimberley and other 38mm plates but not the A-S 32mm plate (now confirmed by Acratech), I am now giving serious thought to the very compact Acratech GP-SS ballhead! Then I know for certain that everything will fit and open and close superfast and with the same lever mechanisms.

Acratech GP-SS: http://www.acratech.net/ballheads/gp/gpss

I am very much appreciating your suggestions, Richard, and everyone else's - It's how I have arrived at this range of choices now. Plus, as you say, all this info is potentially helpful to others who read this thread.

Acratech heads are very good. I love the design and engineering, they're very smooth and strong, light and really nice to use, good choice. Technical performance isn't quite so good as some others, particularly considering the price, but we're really comparing levels of excellence (y)

Acratech heads are very good. I love the design and engineering, they're very smooth and strong, light and really nice to use, good choice. Technical performance isn't quite so good as some others, particularly considering the price, but we're really comparing levels of excellence (y)

....Good to know :)

My attitude on spending so much money on the Acratech is that I want gear that increases my chances of not missing shots and getting them as sharp as possible without carrying a tripod around. I'm 67yo and am happy to pay the extra if it delivers what I want - High quality of build, operation, ease of use, and speed! I just provisionally sold my Canon 70-200mm F/4 IS to cover the cost anyway - The 100-400mm Mk2, when I get it, will cover all my telephoto needs.

As an amateur, for me it is as much about being out there to enjoy what the countryside has to offer and then being able enjoy it again later through the photos plus being able to share them.

I have 99% made my choice now (thanks to many on TP) and will post my findings when I have used the gear.

Last edited:
Hi Robin
If you opt for the Acratech GP-SS ballhead, why are you thinking of the lever-clamp version rather than the screw clamp (which is slightly lighter and slightly lees money)? Reading some of your various posts on ballhead choice, I rather thought you favoured the security of a screw clamp.

Russ

Hi Robin
If you opt for the Acratech GP-SS ballhead, why are you thinking of the lever-clamp version rather than the screw clamp (which is slightly lighter and slightly lees money)? Reading some of your various posts on ballhead choice, I rather thought you favoured the security of a screw clamp.

Russ

....Actually I have now decided to go for the screw clamp on the Acratech GP-SS ballhead and the lever release on their Swift Clamp which will hang off my BlackRapid strap. It makes sense to also buy the Acratech 100mm plate to live on the lens collar foot of the 100-400mm.

Today I went out with my Canon 1.4x mounted on my 400mm F/5.6 L (which together approaches the weight of the 100-400mm Mk2). When on my new Gitzo monopod I found the Manfrotto 'joystick' ballhead to be very difficult to lock down. That Manfrotto 324RC2 is fine with my 100mm Macro on a low tripod but not walking around with on a monopod.

....Actually I have now decided to go for the screw clamp on the Acratech GP-SS ballhead and the lever release on their Swift Clamp which will hang off my BlackRapid strap. It makes sense to also buy the Acratech 100mm plate to live on the lens collar foot of the 100-400mm.
The cost keeps mounting Robin :) - have you sold that 70-200L f/4 yet?

I am toying with the idea of buying the Kirk MPA-2 monopod head for use on my Gitso GM2541 monopod - it only gives me a tilt function rather than a full ballhead of course, but I have lived with a basic Monfrotto 234 tilt head for some time, and think a monopod tilt head function is all I personally need for my style of bird photography. And anything is better than the 234 mechanism!

Russ

The cost keeps mounting Robin :) - have you sold that 70-200L f/4 yet?

I am toying with the idea of buying the Kirk MPA-2 monopod head for use on my Gitso GM2541 monopod - it only gives me a tilt function rather than a full ballhead of course, but I have lived with a basic Monfrotto 234 tilt head for some time, and think a monopod tilt head function is all I personally need for my style of bird photography. And anything is better than the 234 mechanism!

Russ

....I've received £300 deposit on my 70-200mm F/4 L, so am trying not to spend it yet!! :D

I went out yesterday for my first 'field trip' with my Gitzo GM2541 - It's easy-peasy to carry and I clip it on and off a spare shoulder strap I have across my chest. I also tried it in a hide and need to get used to its foot! Using it requires a slightly different technique/position than I am used to with my Manfrotto MVM500A fluid monopod which has 3 short foldaway feet (currently for sale). The Manfrotto 324-RC2 joystick is terrible on it. As said before, by having this particular Acratech GP-SS head it gives me further options what I can mount it on and if I prefer it on my low tripod for close-ups I will sell the joystick head (have already had an interest from a friend).

Kirk has a good reputation for its products and will of course allow a more supportive plate for lenses such as the 100-400mm. I'm relying on the ball lock down of the GP-SS Acratech to be far more reliable than the Manfrotto! Video demo suggests it is.

For a minute there I thought we were going to have a post about the MKII 100-400mm.

....Sorry for going slightly off topic there, Mike.P - It is the nature of discussions and it meandered to what is best to handle a 'pod supported 100-400mm Mk2. I'm sure this is not the first time nor the last time that such meandering will happen :)

....Sorry for going slightly off topic there, Mike.P - It is the nature of discussions and it meandered to what is best to handle a 'pod supported 100-400mm Mk2. I'm sure this is not the first time nor the last time that such meandering will happen :)

Continuing off-topic then... :D

I like to be able to swap heads between different tripods/monopod, or sometimes fit to a light stand. So I remove the standard tripod platform and replace with an Arca-Swiss clamp; then on the bottom of my heads I fit a short Arca-Swiss plate. Very solid and secure, and I can swap things around in two seconds.

Whilst I agree that there is always a certain amount of off topic conversation Robin I would hardly call 22 posts "meandering".

Didn't you start a gimbal thread or suchlike anyway?

It just gets a bit annoying when you subscribe to a thread for info and it flags up when you log in saying there is new content and it turns out to be nothing at all to do with the original topic.

It just gets a bit annoying when you subscribe to a thread for info and it flags up when you log in saying there is new content and it turns out to be nothing at all to do with the original topic.

:plus1:

Whilst I agree that there is always a certain amount of off topic conversation Robin I would hardly call 22 posts "meandering".

Didn't you start a gimbal thread or suchlike anyway?

....Err, where do you get as many as "22 posts" from?

Most of the recent posts you are objecting to are to do with the tripod foot and consequently best 'pod mounting for the 100-400mm Mk2. I even posted a photo of the lens foot.

I have already apologised once and very politely and frankly that is enough. You are now cluttering up this thread with further objections. Report it to the Moderators if you are unhappy.

@Jackwow Neil, I apologise :)

EDIT:
Just to say that Mike.P and I have exchanged friendly PMs and all is calm between us.

Last edited:
Well picked mine up today. First impressions from a quick mess about are very positive. AF is quick and the IS is so much better than the 2 stop I have on my 300f4. It seems very sharp straight out of the box at both ends of the zoom range but I will check it for accuracy as I do with all my lenses to make sure its spot on.

Back