Bargain Canon EOS M 18MP Compact System Camera with 18-55mm Lens £199.95

Must have been in store stock for a while though, has fw version 1.0.6 on it.

Hi Dave

Finally got time to check Firmware on mine.... latest v 2.02 loaded.

Must RT*M - was fiddly finding the version but oh so simple in the end!

Supposedly the upgrade speeds up focussing so if it is a problem on earlierveesions the the upgrade is worth it. The other benefit is to overcome issues with the new lenses.

Having loads of fun with the M.

Steve

Got mine today but I think I have a problem. If I select both AF and MF then I should be able to use both. That is not happening. Only AF is working.
If I select MF then it will focus fine when I adjust the lens (18-55).

Can someone confirm if theirs works ok so I know if it is worth taking back and exchanging. It has the latest firmware update as well (2.0.2)

Thanks

Dave.

Got mine today but I think I have a problem. If I select both AF and MF then I should be able to use both. That is not happening. Only AF is working.

Can someone confirm if theirs works ok so I know if it is worth taking back and exchanging. It has the latest firmware update as well (2.0.2)

Thanks

Dave.

Page 117 of the instructions

if you select [AF+MF], you can hold the shutter button pressed halfway after the AF operation and focus manually (MF) with the focusing ring.

Are you pressing the shutter button as you try and focus?

Thanks

Dave.

Hi Dave

I tried to replicate your issue but on the AF and MF mode I am unsure of the results

My first thoughts are (with tired eys) that tge AF is very accurate and the MF ring does not improve it. I can get some slight blurring using the MF ring in reverse but not going totally out of focus.

Will try again in the morning after I am rested and I get the full user guide up witb the Canon CD

Steve

Page 117 of the instructions

Are you pressing the shutter button as you try and focus?

Meant to add that to my reply! It is the same on my 18-135 STM to gey MF at any time

My AF and MF is fine when the shutter button is depressed half way

Will try half pressing the shutter tonight (at work now) I must admit thst I didn't read the instructions and assumed it would work like my other camera / lenses

Thanks for the help / replies - will spend some time reading the manual tonight :)

Dave.

Got hold of mine today , it looks like a nice piece of kit .
What cards are you guys using in it ? I'm used to compact flash so no idea which Sd card to go for as there's so many to choose from .

John .

Got hold of mine today , it looks like a nice piece of kit .
What cards are you guys using in it ? I'm used to compact flash so no idea which Sd card to go for as there's so many to choose from .

John .

Got a 32Gb Integral Ultra SDHC class 10 from My Memory for under £14.

32Gb gives an hour of Vodeo on the M

Keeps up well on multi shot and video on my M

It will take SDXC cards too.

Steve

Just picked mine up this evening from Dixons at Edinburgh Airport - a Red one. (Had a choice of Red or White), but it's ostensibly "the wife's" new camera. We'll see how that works out... :)

Anyway, got it for a bargain price of just £129 for the kit - 18-55, Flash, Camera, final clearance. To say I couldn't be more pleased is understatement. Cheap Compact camera price, but vastly superior. Perhaps my best bargain for a long while. I'd been hesitant reading the reviews about the AF. It came with the original reportedly slow firmware. I've only had a play in poor artificial light, but even with the original firmware, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I'd been led to expect. Just updated to 2.02 and I've no complaints at all so far. It's perfectly fine, even in this crappy light. I'm actually impressed how quick it is and just thankful that I hadn't let the reviews put me off completely. Granted, it's not an SLR, but even then, that's lens dependent. My 85mm 1.2 on a 5DIII is no spring chicken either. No, this is perfectly fine. I think my Mrs is going to have to wrestle this off me. Love it at first sight. I can see me using this a lot. What's not to like - DSLR sized sensor, in a form factor you can fit in a pocket - well, a Barbour pocket, and all for less the price of a decent compact. Can't wait to have a play in the daylight.

Just picked mine up this evening from Dixons at Edinburgh Airport - a Red one. (Had a choice of Red or White), but it's ostensibly "the wife's" new camera. We'll see how that works out... :)

Anyway, got it for a bargain price of just £129 for the kit - 18-55, Flash, Camera, final clearance. To say I couldn't be more pleased is understatement. Cheap Compact camera price, but vastly superior. Perhaps my best bargain for a long while. I'd been hesitant reading the reviews about the AF. It came with the original reportedly slow firmware. I've only had a play in poor artificial light, but even with the original firmware, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I'd been led to expect. Just updated to 2.02 and I've no complaints at all so far. It's perfectly fine, even in this crappy light. I'm actually impressed how quick it is and just thankful that I hadn't let the reviews put me off completely. Granted, it's not an SLR, but even then, that's lens dependent. My 85mm 1.2 on a 5DIII is no spring chicken either. No, this is perfectly fine. I think my Mrs is going to have to wrestle this off me. Love it at first sight. I can see me using this a lot. What's not to like - DSLR sized sensor, in a form factor you can fit in a pocket - well, a Barbour pocket, and all for less the price of a decent compact. Can't wait to have a play in the daylight.
Bargain of the century.

just been and checked my local currys and none left, wishing i'd bought one when I first saw this now

There's always Argos and loaded with latest Firmware

Still a bargain

Last edited:
yeah, argos is another £50, sounds tight assed I know but at £150 it's worth a punt, never had mirrorless etc and originally had heart set on a g15. So at 150 i'd make the jump, not at 200 though.
I'll watch argos however as they may drop it more, you never know.

yeah, argos is another £50, sounds tight assed I know but at £150 it's worth a punt, never had mirrorless etc and originally had heart set on a g15. So at 150 i'd make the jump, not at 200 though.
I'll watch argos however as they may drop it more, you never know.

True

But I think you will find that those of us using Argos believe the deal was good

With the then spend over £100 get a £10 voucher printed on your receipt brought it down effectively to £189.99 it was still a great deal. The Currys deal was a clear out but Argos were restocking stores.

Clearing the decks for the M3 in September/October?

Anyway I thimk it's a cracking good camera for which a newish UWA and telephoto makes this system both fun and serious. It's getting more use than my DSLR kit and with the adaptor fitted my EF-S 55-250 is producing some very good shots.

Steve

Last edited:
Wish i hadn't seen this post, just reserved one as i don't think i can pass up such a good offer :LOL: . I'll be selling my Fuji X10 to fund it, but i think it's worth it for the upgrade. Sensor size and ISO handling are the main features i like about it. If worse comes to worst I can sell it on again for very little loss if i don't get along with it but i think it'll be the Fuji that goes :)

Looking at Argos i don't think they have many left, they don't have them available for delivery, and only one store locally had one in stock for pick up

Last edited:
I've only had a play in poor artificial light, but even with the original firmware, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I'd been led to expect. Just updated to 2.02 and I've no complaints at all so far. It's perfectly fine, even in this crappy light. I'm actually impressed how quick it is and just thankful that I hadn't let the reviews put me off completely.

With regard to AF, I found it to be a little slower than the Olympus E-PM2, but in low light to be more accurate, the E-PM2 would hunt back and forward at high speed but struggle to actually lock AF while the EOS-M would move that little bit slower but generally hit focus at first attempt.

I got an exceptional price; I'd have been equally delighted with it at the Argos price. I doubt you could buy a better camera for £189- still a massive bargain.

I'd like an EF. Adapter though - has anyone tried the £26 camdiox one on eBay? Metal body, hole in the middle - looks nicely built. Good alternative to the Canon?

I'd like an EF. Adapter though - has anyone tried the £26 camdiox one on eBay? Metal body, hole in the middle - looks nicely built. Good alternative to the Canon?

I've ordered one, it should arrive today or tomorrow. I had the original Canon one with the first EOS M I had, so will update here with what I think if it (and how it compares to the Canon one) once I've had time to try it out.

I've ordered one, it should arrive today or tomorrow. I had the original Canon one with the first EOS M I had, so will update here with what I think if it (and how it compares to the Canon one) once I've had time to try it out.

Thanks - as long as the build quality and tolerances are ok, I can't imagine it does much other than pass through connections to a different mount. Will be interested to hear how you get on!

I got an exceptional price; I'd have been equally delighted with it at the Argos price. I doubt you could buy a better camera for £189- still a massive bargain.

There's a UK seller on EBay got the original Canon item at £65 delivered Buy it now or Make an Offer.

Edit....

Should read A friend of mine found the ssller on Ebay

He offered £55 which was accepted and that incl delivery. He says they are from split kits so no box. Will see if I can find the seller. Last time I looked Amazon was £99.99. I got one off a friend who has the M but shoots Nikon DSLR.

Steve

Last edited:
Re my earlier post on the EBay seller of the genuine unboxed Canon EF M Adaptor

Thecseller is podmantech_uk

On checking its listed as a Chinese based seller but shipping is from Slough

The delivery date is 7-8 August and feedback mentions faster delivery than expected

My mate is miffed as he thought he was dealing with a UK seller but only saw Ships from Slough.

Paid by Paypal so should be safe cashwise but no guarantee of legal / smuggled good.

Steve

I went for this adaptor:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FEAH5OU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't intend to put large lenses on the camera (that is not why I bought it) and this looked ok for a reasonable price.

The thought of having the original adaptor with tripod mount made little sense to me as my big lenses all have mounts anyway and my smaller lenses won't need it.

Its just another thing to get in the way when holding the camera.

It should hopefully be here this week and I can try my 28mm 1.8 on the EOS M :)

Dave.

Last edited:
The tripod mount unscrews from the official adaptor.

Yes it does. I used a monopod for my M with the ef-s 55-250. Was a really nice balance and took the extra weight off the camera. My 40mm pancake STM was great too. So a useful lighter holiday kit is shaping up. Not tried my ef-s 10-22 and not likely to. Would start to question why I bought the camera. So I am looking at M + kit lens, ef-s 55-250 and ef 40mm pancake (for street stuff) as my holiday kit. Got a small/medium canvas shoulder bag and its really comfortable as a set.

Steve

The new 70-200 m lens looks tidy.....

Last edited:
So I am looking at M + kit lens, ef-s 55-250 and ef 40mm pancake (for street stuff) as my holiday kit. Got a small/medium canvas shoulder bag and its really comfortable as a set.

Steve

If you like the 40mm, you'll probably love the 22mm f2.0 STM, it's a lot of lens for a little money ;).

If you like the 40mm, you'll probably love the 22mm f2.0 STM, it's a lot of lens for a little money ;).

Was looking at EBay. c£70 for an unboxed one.

Spending most of September on travelling France Germany and Holland back through Belgium by train boat snd bus....

Every gram helps but have spent a lot on a new media room and a couple of lenses.

Still there is my do not touch 70D savings pot.....

S

Last edited:
Was looking at EBay. c£70 for an unboxed one.

Spending most of September on travelling France Germany and Holland back through Belgium by train boat snd bus....

Every gram helps but have spemt a lot on a new media room and a couple of lenses.

Still there is my do not touch 70D savings pot.....

S

Look for a seller called nomorehideo (or something like that ;)), for around £75 for a white box one.

The lens is in stock in the UK and sent out 1st class Recorded within a day or 2. My newest one came from them and arrived in 2 working days.

It's the smallest lightest lens you will own, but packs a big IQ punch.

Look for a seller called nomorehideo (or something like that ;)), for around £75 for a white box one.

The lens is in stock in the UK and sent out 1st class Recorded within a day or 2. My newest one came from them and arrived in 2 working days.

It's the smallest lightest lens you will own, but packs a big IQ punch.

Found them

nomohideo2005

UK stock @ £79.99 incl RM First Class signed for White box item

£195 on Amazon
£199 in Argos
£195 in Jessops

Ouch

Order just done..... yep the 70D has slipped backwards but I still rate my 50D and there should be an 80D along in the future.

I think I will flog my Pentax M collection. The 70-200 stm is calling.

Cheers

Steve

Found them

nomohideo2005

UK stock @ £79.99 incl RM First Class signed for White box item

£195 on Amazon
£199 in Argos
£195 in Jessops

Ouch

Cheers

Steve

Ships from Salford, arrived very well packaged, so in my experience one of the better retailers on eBay.

I might consider the 22mm but I'm just questioning my desire or lack of to build another lens collection in another format. I might just bide my time and see how we use the M. For the adapter - if I can get a dirt cheap one it's probably worth it but all my lenses are big/heavy so it kinda defeats the point if I have to take them too (may as well take the 5DIII kinda). Might just get the 22mm and call it done.

Quick back of envelope costing

Camera kit + adaptor + 22mm comes in at £304 (Argos, friend and ebay - all "new")

On Amazon.... £568.98

Mental. A saving of £265.00

Steve

Last edited:
I might consider the 22mm but I'm just questioning my desire or lack of to build another lens collection in another format. I might just bide my time and see how we use the M. For the adapter - if I can get a dirt cheap one it's probably worth it but all my lenses are big/heavy so it kinda defeats the point if I have to take them too (may as well take the 5DIII kinda). Might just get the 22mm and call it done.

Good points

I am away in 3 weeks for 27 days.

Spent a month (to date) trying out different camera kit layouts using my 50D and 2 lenses. Came back to 3 lenses and loads of weight.

Along comes the M

I will have a lightweight canvas backpack for clothes etc and now (hopefully) a small camera kit in a small canvas shoulded bag. Kit lens + 22mm (optional EF-S 55-250 + adaptor). The 90EX is literally no weight. Lightweight small Manfroto monopod will strap to the camera bag. 3 batteries (ordered a couple of non-oem).

Not sure how to approach the charger issue but will look at EBay Germany etc.

Will have a final repack at the weekend.

I would not be thinking of the lightweight kit if I was going to take the car but an eye problem has kyboshed that, possibly permanently.

So from the original post which opened the CSC route which I had not thought of for my needs, I have a good splution and invested £320 (incl extra batteries)

TP is the hidden gem for me.

Back