Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Samyang 10mm or 8mm fish eye :) they are pretty compact lenses as well.

I agree it will be interesting to see where Canon take the system if they do release the much rumoured M3 in Europe and America and back it up with more lenses I could see myself investing more in the system long term. I do have a slight fear that they will release a full frame version with a different mount which would be great but disappointing at the same time!

Last edited:
However awesome a full frame version would be, if they're looking at a new mount it'll essentially be a new system altogether. I dread to think how much such a camera would cost too! Look at the Sony RX1 for example!

Samyang 10mm or 8mm fish eye :) they are pretty compact lenses as well.

I agree it will be interesting to see where Canon take the system if they do release the much rumoured M3 in Europe and America and back it up with more lenses I could see myself investing more in the system long term. I do have a slight fear that they will release a full frame version with a different mount which would be great but disappointing at the same time!

A full frame version wouln't logically follow as an incremental release as an M series "improvement".

It would be like an 80D replacing the 70D but omly taking EF lenses. It would alienate the xx users with EF-S series lenses.

The main thing is whether Canon are seeing the rising populatity of 4/3 CSC kit and users like myself "travelling light" more often.

There are many members on here gettinv shot of their DSLR kit to "go Fuji etc. Canon are perhaps lagging and thereby risking market position. The established CSC manufacturers are riding high and many compact digital camera users I know have stuck them in draws in favour of their smartphone cameras with the ease of convergence technologies of wifi, mobile broadband, 3G/4G, Bluetooth, NFC, cloud storage, OTG......

I love my FlashAir Card which sends my shots to my 4G IPad Air and Galaxy S4 so I can enjoy some of the convergence tech BUT we need Canon to surprise us with the M3 or they will possibly see a big loss across their range.

For me I will keep my DSLR kit but the M system is now first choice when I shoot. I bring some DSLR kit when using the car but I am missing less shots with the M nd I can travel on public transport easier sl a couple of pints waiting for the rain to lift or the light to lift easy.

If Canon get it wrong then for me it's TP classif8ed within the Canon section saying "I have gone 4/3 with ***** and all my Canon DSLR & M kit is up for sale.....

Love the M but it must evolve now it finally captured us (albeit primarily on ĺow prices). Long term it has potential to really take off. A USP of backward compagibility with EF/EF-S lenses and Speedlights , menu systems we are comfortable with was inspired thinking.

Over to Canon for shock and awe.

Steve

Ive just got one of these. How do you find they impact battery life?

It's more the low ampage of the battery so I keep 4 batteries ready! The flash card naturally draws more power but have yet to run into problems.

I need to explore all its funvtionality but my main reason for getting it was to review the shotd on a 9.8" retina screen rather tham a 3" basic back of the camrra screen. So a few extra batteries is fine by me. Cheap solution as wifi enabled cards go.

Steve

It's more the low ampage of the battery so I keep 4 batteries ready! The flash card naturally draws more power but have yet to run into problems.

I need to explore all its funvtionality but my main reason for getting it was to review the shotd on a 9.8" retina screen rather tham a 3" basic back of the camrra screen. So a few extra batteries is fine by me. Cheap solution as wifi enabled cards go.

Steve
I was never that fussed about wifi in a camera until I tried it, and found it quite handy. And of course now don't have it, miss it. Very handy just for quick download and share.

I am occasionally using my 'M' as a sort of inconspicuous camera when I don't want to be seen with a DSLR, and may shoot from the hip again not to look too obvious...eg was in Rio a month ago and the last thing I'd do is wander around looking like a flash tourist (I wish!!)
Camera worked great, but I ended up with a lot of shots of my feet and the sky as I inadvertently switched on the shutter actuation from the rear screen and then evry time I touched it I took a picture.

I can't seem to find a way to disable this, as if I switch it off using the touchscreen, I can inadvertently switch it on the same way!!...and I'd really like to disable it permanently so that the shutter can only be fired with the button...is this possible?

Thanks, George.

Go to menu/3rd red from left/ disable

You need to be in stills mode and not video

Yep, in the menu go to the third menu along and go to the bottom, it should be called "Touch Shutter" and go and disable it :)

ahhhhh too slow :D

Thanks, Jim and Andy, but the logo is still on the touch screen and if you touch it there, presto..it's enabled again!! I want to get rid of it permanently!!

ae235

....but then all my shots will have a black mark in the corner!!!:exit:

LOL. Ok think I've found a workaround.

Try disabling the touch screen trigger, then double click the info button.

LOL. Ok think I've found a workaround.

Try disabling the touch screen trigger, then double click the info button.

That's useful, thanks, Tim, of course as soon as you touch the info button it all comes back, but that will be a help, thanks!

I'm not really a fan of touch screens, thank goodness they didn't put it on the new 7D, but I suppose they have their place for some.

P'haps I'm just too clumsy!!

George

Touch the icon in the bottom left hand corner and it toggles touch-shutter on/off

I have no images worth posting, but just though I'd mention that my EF-EOS M adaptor arrived today and I've been playing with my Siggy 300mm f/2.8 with stacked 2.0x and 1.4x... Guess what? It autofocuses.... Awesome!
Need to try it out properly when I get some birds on the feeder in reasonable light. I took some today, but the light was Krap. Should be interesting taking some moon shots too. Simply touch the screen and 'snap', no need to press the shutter button.

Touch the icon in the bottom left hand corner and it toggles touch-shutter on/off
Thanks Glenn, but that's my problem, I think I've switched it off, then I accidentally touch the icon and then I'm taking a load of rubbish!!(even more than usual!!) but Tim's suggestion seems the best workaround.
I'd have preferred a setting in the menu that totally disables this feature on the camera, but I couldn't see one and from the comments it seems one doesn't exist!!!

On a tripod setup, the touch-shutter is genius. Would be great for macro work too I think, as is a swivel screen (as per my wife's G12).

On the other hand, walking about I envisage lots of pictures of shoes and the inside of my camera bag. I already have some odd shots of the front door etc..

On a tripod setup, the touch-shutter is genius. Would be great for macro work too I think, as is a swivel screen (as per my wife's G12).

On the other hand, walking about I envisage lots of pictures of shoes and the inside of my camera bag. I already have some odd shots of the front door etc..
:D:D

I only use the touch screen with the M on a tripod. I have tried it when off the tripod but prefer the shutter release button. I also use the RC-6 remote when on the tripod but the sensor is front mounted on the M. I will be trying the Yongnuo YN622c triggers over the weekend forp shutter release purposes.

Steve

The touch shutter does toggle itself on when hanging round your neck and touching against your chest, a way to permanently disable it would be good, I just switch the camera off or I get a lot of self-taken pics.

Yup that's my problem, I wonder why Canon haven't given us that capability....sometimes I wonder who trials their stuff.

Yup that's my problem, I wonder why Canon haven't given us that capability....sometimes I wonder who trials their stuff.

Certainly something they could sort in a firmware update

I have not had a problem with it but I am using the Black Rapod Metro strap when doing 'street' and walkabout. It seems to leave the screen untouched.

The Metro is designed for CSC.

Steve

Certainly something they could sort in a firmware update

I have not had a problem with it but I am using the Black Rapod Metro strap when doing 'street' and walkabout. It seems to leave the screen untouched.

The Metro is designed for CSC.

Steve

CSC? excuse my ignorance>>>....

Oh thanks, Steve, new one for me......:p

Oh thanks, Steve, new one for me......:p

Pretty much the norm now for mirrorless cameras you can change the lenses on

Steve

Pretty much the norm now for mirrorless cameras you can change the lenses on

Steve
You also see them referred to as MILCs (not to be confused with MILFs) which stands for Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera.
CSC I tend to think of the slightly smaller sensor cameras, but I guess the correct terminology will sort itself out and some of these terms are interchangeable.

On a tripod setup, the touch-shutter is genius.
Actually the touch to shoot came in really handy recently. The M doesn't come with a cable trigger port, so I was using my IR remote for some recent night photography (I was out with some fellow TPers in fact). For some reason it stopped working. It was very foggy so either the IR signal just wasn't getting there, or my battery was running low. No problem! I had the shutter in bulb mode (with a timer). One quick tap on the screen to start the exposure, another to end it. It was only because of this functionality I was able to come back with these, otherwise I would likely have introduced a lot more camera shake:

Dome at the Fountain by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

This band is on fire! by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Orb in Barran's Fountain by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Fire and Folly by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

You also see them referred to as MILCs (not to be confused with MILFs) which stands for Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera.
CSC I tend to think of the slightly smaller sensor cameras, but I guess the correct terminology will sort itself out and some of these terms are interchangeable.

Actually the touch to shoot came in really handy recently. The M doesn't come with a cable trigger port, so I was using my IR remote for some recent night photography (I was out with some fellow TPers in fact). For some reason it stopped working. It was very foggy so either the IR signal just wasn't getting there, or my battery was running low. No problem! I had the shutter in bulb mode (with a timer). One quick tap on the screen to start the exposure, another to end it. It was only because of this functionality I was able to come back with these, otherwise I would likely have introduced a lot more camera shake:

Dome at the Fountain by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

This band is on fire! by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Orb in Barran's Fountain by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Fire and Folly by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Great shots and well thought out use of the touch screen

I am hoping to test my Yongnuo triggers on the M later but on my way out to do some shots at Avonyy Gorge. Arranged before the recent sad event there.

Will see whether the 622c triggers will act as an all round remote.

S

Last edited:
Yes, I can see the advantages of the touch screen, just wish there was a facility to disable the shutter release permanently in the menu which would avoid my problem.
Thanks for your help, folks.

Blinkies...

Above its mentioned that blinking can't be enabled. However, blown highlights blink when the info button has been pressed to show the histogram pages...

Blinkies...

Above its mentioned that blinking can't be enabled. However, blown highlights blink when the info button has been pressed to show the histogram pages...

Thank you !!

I have had confirmation of Tuesday delivery for my sister's 2 kits. Absolute bargain at £206 each.

A friend has just popped in and is like a kid as his wife has ordered the EF-M 11-22mm UWA for his birthday. Will be interesting to get a proper feel of it. I am sticking with the EF-S 10-18mm for the time being.

Steve

11-22mm is a lovely little lens, built very well and as sharp as a tack.

Stop tempting me...

I have tried one but was a very short 2 minutes. I like it's feel and size ut would need to sell my heavier EF-S 10-22mm which I love. I will decide mid 2015 whether to sell off my DSLR kit and stay compact. If Canon come out with a firm spec and release date for an 'M3' release, it may be sooner.

Steve

Back