Canon EOS R Series Cameras

I thought as much, although the reviews I've watched and read since seem to suggest the Lumix S5 is pretty capable and can be had online from WEX for £1,599 new with spare battery, grip and 3 year warranty.
Just go with the R6, you’ll love it.

Well that makes my life easier then as I only have 1 EF lens, all my others are EFS and EFM. Might be time to spread my wings as I am obviously not as tied to Canon as I thought originally.
There is no issue using EFS lenses with Canon R system cameras and the RF to EF adapter. The camera will automatically crop correctly. Here is the info direct from canon https://www.canon-europe.com/mount-adapters-ef-eos-r/

There is no issue using EFS lenses with Canon R system cameras and the RF to EF adapter. The camera will automatically crop correctly. Here is the info direct from canon https://www.canon-europe.com/mount-adapters-ef-eos-r/
Whilst correct, I used to think it was stupid when Nikon allowed the use of crop lenses which reduced the resolution massively.
I feel no different now Canon do it, it’ll get you out of a short term pickle, but it’s ultimately not something I’d choose to do.

Whilst correct, I used to think it was stupid when Nikon allowed the use of crop lenses which reduced the resolution massively.
I feel no different now Canon do it, it’ll get you out of a short term pickle, but it’s ultimately not something I’d choose to do.
I was thinking it could help the transition, he can make a start with his current EFS lenses and then replace as he needs.

Has anybody out there got an R6 and 5D4? IF so, could you post the same shot taken by both cameras. I am trying to decide if I need my 5D4 for landscape, seascape etc
Went to a talk yesterday at Cambridge Photography Week by a chap called David Clapp who stated he’s not a Canon Ambassador, but uses Canon. He’s got a 5D4 alongside RP and R6’s. He suggested he has kept the 5D4, but doesn’t use it much these days. The RP has been converted to full spectrum which seemed fun!

Fuji is a great system. I love them. I used to run them alongside my Canon DSLRs until the latter started knocking it out the park with their R cameras and then I sold nearly all my Fuji gear to finance my R purchases. For me the R5 and R6 cameras were just too amazing to resist. I've been a Canon man ever since I bought my 20D, but really we're all just talking about personal preferences and I'm guessing you could work around most of the differences between them. As far as service and reliability is concerned, for me, it's another reason to stick with Canon.

I loved my Fujis, but I have not regretted my decision and every time I see what Canon are producing now, it reinforces my preference.

Last edited:
Hoping for a simple answer to a simple question.... :rolleyes:;)

Am I going to regret spending £2300 on the R with RF 24-105mm f/4L Lens & basic Adapter, when for the same money I can buy the R6 with the RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM Lens and the Control Ring Adapter?

I have a Test Drive scheduled which will help my decision making, but after reading pretty much everything I can find on both cameras, the R6 seems to be winning the race.

Am I going to regret spending £2300 on the R with RF 24-105mm f/4L Lens & basic Adapter, when for the same money I can buy the R6 with the RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM Lens and the Control Ring Adapter?

I have a Test Drive scheduled which will help my decision making, but after reading pretty much everything I can find on both cameras, the R6 seems to be winning the race.
I think the R6 kicks the RS ass. If you’re worried about the lens.. consider the ef 24-105 l. It’s pretty dang good!

Noticed today on an R5 with canon batteries and grip fully charged…..green H lit up but when taking a 15 second or longer burst the shutter slows down and shows a white H…it then stays like this unless I unclip and re insert the battery cassette, where it goes back to green……not every burst but happened quite regularly…

Anyone else come across this……?

@Spiderdudeuk All our needs differ, I sold my R to get the R5. I found with the R, the control ring adapter was more useful, as there was less customisation of the body. Now I have the R5, I don’t feel I need it.

I like having in body stabilisation, and I didn’t like the touch bar. I also didn’t like the colours I was getting, but I now think that may have been Lightroom.

My R5 locked up on me again yesterday. Viewfinder froze and no buttons or dials worked. Turned it off and on and it was still frozen at first. I was using the CFexpress card, shooting single frames.

Got fed up not being able to feed my desire to do wildlife photography and managed to find a Nikon F mount to Canon RF adaptor by 'Urth' so I could use my Nikon 300mm f/4 IF ED which I absolutely love - albeit Manual Focus only - on my R6

Thanks for the teleconverter @nickfole which ended becoming quite useful :) - great results and I'm sure will keep me entertained until I can afford an EF 100-400mm MKII or an RF 100-500mm (in my dreams)

AF8A0616 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
AF8A0588 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
AF8A0562 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
AF8A0549 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
AF8A0548 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

Yes - R6 is outstanding, but if you can afford a little more I'd pair it with their 24-240mm zoom which is, in my opinion, fabulous.

Yes - R6 is outstanding, but if you can afford a little more I'd pair it with their 24-240mm zoom which is, in my opinion, fabulous.
Order placed for the R6, not chosen a lens yet but got the Control Adapter with it.

So now the usual headaches are to occur whilst get back n forth over what glass to buy.

Is anyone using the original EF 24-70 f4 on their R6? Just wondering how it performs, as my budget is limited after buying th R6 so toying with picking a used one up to just get going with.

I don’t have that one but I do have a lot of EF lenses. They all perform better on the R series due to better AF. Canon helped us a lot in the transition, no immediate need for RF lenses.

Is anyone using the original EF 24-70 f4 on their R6? Just wondering how it performs, as my budget is limited after buying th R6 so toying with picking a used one up to just get going with.
don't have the lens but my old trusty 24-105mm f4L IS mk1 performs great with the R5

Hi. Please can you help.

Now, I can get the camera to use spot AF with the AF-On button and use the other button for the Eye AF. I have in this case taken away focus completely from the shutter button. I'm looking to use mostly Eye AF.

However, I have a condition which causes painful thumbs and I'd like to minimise their use as much as possible. As I use Eye AF mostly, if the AF On or other back button switched to that mode, I'd be having to press down with my thumb pretty much 90% of the time so I'd like to have to only occasionally press the back button for spot AF.

What I'm wanting to do is to have one mode on the R5 reserved to set Eye AF as default and activated by the shutter button, but with the option to override this when possible and revert to Spot AF. I'd like to use the AF-On button to use spot AF.

I can't see a way to do that. Am I being obtuse?

Hi. Please can you help.

Now, I can get the camera to use spot AF with the AF-On button and use the other button for the Eye AF. I have in this case taken away focus completely from the shutter button. I'm looking to use mostly Eye AF.

However, I have a condition which causes painful thumbs and I'd like to minimise their use as much as possible. As I use Eye AF mostly, if the AF On or other back button switched to that mode, I'd be having to press down with my thumb pretty much 90% of the time so I'd like to have to only occasionally press the back button for spot AF.

What I'm wanting to do is to have one mode on the R5 reserved to set Eye AF as default and activated by the shutter button, but with the option to override this when possible and revert to Spot AF. I'd like to use the AF-On button to use spot AF.

I can't see a way to do that. Am I being obtuse?
I have it set up so that AF is activated by half press - leaving my thumb free to move the AF spot using the touch screen which only works when using the viewfinder. I have AF-ON set to centre the AF spot - and the * button I have configured to override and to activate Eye AF (but you do need to hold it down). I just find AF eye detect unreliable for people with glasses on so I prefer using standard AF for most occasions unless I'm trying to 'catch' a shot which doesn't leave me time to move the AF spot.

Not tried configuring it the other way around, but I'm sure it would be possible. On the other hand though - I found that having standard AF configured to the AF-ON button doesn't leave your thumb free to move the focus spot around and it has to jump back and forward between 2 tasks which is a lot to ask of your thumb!!

Last edited:
Thank you. I can see that would work. I really meant to say in my original post that the shutter button will always have to be pressed to take the picture and so I'm really looking for a way to use eye detect on the shutter half-press as the default but also have a way to override the AF function of it with the press of a back button and allow the shutter button AF to be de-activated. I'm not sure it's possible.

Last edited:
Hi. I’m looking at the possibility of upgrading my trusty 5D MkII to an R5 in the new year.

I’ve glanced through this thread but over a 100 pages so may have missed Previous answers. A couple of questions please?

Has anybody here made that change rather than from the MkIII or MkIV - how did you find the change in terms of image quality and usage?

How is the R5 with using original EF lenses? I have the 16-35L 24-105L and 100-400L and which adapter is best? Is the control ring worth the extra?

Finally, the image size will be double what I’m used to. How do you find processing? My 2013 iMac is fine for current use with LR and PS but wonder if it’ll be maxed out with the 45MB?

thanks all!

Thank you. I can see that would work. I really meant to say in my original post that the shutter button will always have to be pressed to take the picture and so I'm really looking for a way to use eye detect on the shutter half-press as the default but also have a way to override the AF function of it with the press of a back button and allow the shutter button AF to be de-activated. I'm not sure it's possible.
I can't see a way of doing that without diving into the settings I'm afraid. I was quite interested in doing something similar where I could toggle between AF modes easily with one press, but the closest I could get was to assign one mode to half shutter press, and the other to another button, or to have two 'AF-ON' buttons which unfortunately means in both scenarios having to hold down a button for at least one of the AF modes with your thumb :-(. Maybe somebody can correct me if I'm wrong

Hi. I’m looking at the possibility of upgrading my trusty 5D MkII to an R5 in the new year.

I’ve glanced through this thread but over a 100 pages so may have missed Previous answers. A couple of questions please?

Has anybody here made that change rather than from the MkIII or MkIV - how did you find the change in terms of image quality and usage?

How is the R5 with using original EF lenses? I have the 16-35L 24-105L and 100-400L and which adapter is best? Is the control ring worth the extra?

Finally, the image size will be double what I’m used to. How do you find processing? My 2013 iMac is fine for current use with LR and PS but wonder if it’ll be maxed out with the 45MB?

thanks all!
You'll definitely see IQ differences and operation speed between 5D2 and R5 (I come from 5D, 5D3, 5Ds R (second body), 1Dx II and Sony A9). In terms of menu, they are roughly the same with better customisation options with the R5 but you'll have to get use to it due to the layout slightly different.

My old 24-105mm used to be collecting dust but it has spared life with R5. All my lenses are EF and have no desire to upgrade for now. Canon has made this transition viable for all of Canon users (EF mount era), kudos to Canon.

I picked the adapter without the control ring but YMMV.

I also recently upgrade my late 2012 iMac 27. It's pretty slow in loading my 5Ds R files so I can image the R5 RAW files would yield similar results.

Last edited:
Thanks Robin,

Really helpful and good to know my current lenses would still have life in them (y)

Thanks Robin,

Really helpful and good to know my current lenses would still have life in them (y)
+1 to Robin's answer. Regarding your mac, it might struggle a bit. I recently upgraded my 2014 MBP due to frustration with Capture One crashing with R5 files. I suspect the culprit was the software though. Most likely LR will just be slower than you're used to due to the bigger files.

I can't see a way of doing that without diving into the settings I'm afraid. I was quite interested in doing something similar where I could toggle between AF modes easily with one press, but the closest I could get was to assign one mode to half shutter press, and the other to another button, or to have two 'AF-ON' buttons which unfortunately means in both scenarios having to hold down a button for at least one of the AF modes with your thumb :-(. Maybe somebody can correct me if I'm wrong

Yes the nearest way I've considered is using the control ring to select focus mode and move it between AF point and eye AF while using the shutter button for either.

Yes the nearest way I've considered is using the control ring to select focus mode and move it between AF point and eye AF while using the shutter button for either.

To move between AF points, I use the touchscreen instead.... in fact I used that so often that it helped me to focus on the subject that I wanted (y)

Back