Canon Pro 1/10/100 - Owners Thread

Just got a canon 10s using the a4 paper that came with it the images are very dark any ideas please

The classic reason for this is your monitor is too bright. Ideally you should use some monitor calibration device too.

Brightness of your monitor should be determined according to the viewing conditions of your print.... Your monitor should also be accurately profiled.

Hi guys.

Just wanted to ask if anyone has seen any offers on a Canon pro 100s at the mo?

Think my old i9950 is on its way out so time to upgrade.

Any recommendations greatly received :)

Well I've bitten the bullet and ordered a pro10S now initially I ordered one from Jessops as i thought they were ok. Big mistake!!!

Ordered between Christmas and new year I was hunting around and used camera price buster to compare prices and WEX (my preferred was about £504) but the Mrs got involved (always to be obeyed for quiet life) and she saw jessops were £478 so she then made it quite clear I should save the few pounds and order from Jessops well again I say mistake.
I didn't see when placing the order it said out of stock for home delivery in stock for store collection and only saw it when I got the confirmation email so I thought maybe I could go and collect it from store instead so I checked which stores had the printer Manchester was the only store and I figured that would be just that little bit too far from Devon where I live. So I emailed support and 3 days later still no reply so I emailed again and this time had a reply saying that the printer would be dispatched by canon and they aimed to dispatch within 5 Working days of the order, fine I thought I had a date of about 4thJan so i figured I could handle this. As the 4th approached I had no confirmation to say it would be dispatched so I rang Jessops this time and spoke to a young lady who very kindly said she would email the supplier and try to get a delivery date and call me back the next day, well nothing so I called support at Jessops again spoke to a young man this time and he said hes would find out from the young lady if she had had a reply, no was the answer so they said they would again request details for me. Nothing over the weekend no point in contacting them again I thought so on Monday (yesterday) I again called support to speak to yet another young man only to be told that this was a special order and as such I would have to wait another 28days before it would be dispatched and this was always the case and didn't know where the others had got their information from. Well I told him to cancel the order ( I felt like telling him to put it where the sun doesn't shine but managed to control myself) only to be told it would take up to 7 days to stop the order and stop any payments etc. That was it I told him in no uncertain terms that if in 24hrs I didn't have written(email) confirmation that the order was cancelled and all monies refunded ( or transactions cancelled) I would be taking legal action against him in particular and Jessops in general, strangely I had confirmation this morning.

Meanwhile back at the ranch Wex had gone out of stock as well so hunting around I found Clifton Cameras had one in stock and so I ordered it and it arrives on Thursday for the same price as WEX so all is now calm in my household

Hi all, I must admit to usually just view and read advice however, can anyone advise on my newly purchased Canon pro 10s I am running high Sierra on a 27” iMac I have down loaded the print drivers etc. I have purchased £500 of grief.

I am so furious with Canon please let me expand, I decided to to upgrade from my Canon PIXMA 640 I have had for 8years it’s given great solid service I will keep it as it does photoscanning etc.
I thought the obvious route was a PIXMA pro 10s I got it Home on Monday pm did all the unwrapping and left it till yesterday to place the inks and set up the WiFi. What the h- - is going on I don’t know after umpteen tries I could not get it to configerate with my router or computer. Now my router is downstairs in the porch, my computer/ bedroom is upstairs. Everything else works that requires WiFi is good to go except for my pro 10s.

I rang canon to be greeted and told that a engineer would ring back, did they. Well NO They didn’t, I rang back at 16.30pm explained I was waiting for the call back, I was asked did I have a call back ticket number? Well I didn’t know I needed one. However the woman asked if I had tried this or that which I had and I think she was stumped she gave me a ticket number and said she would send me an email containing various things to to resolve the problem. Di d I get it? Well of course not! So I will have to ring back today to speak to Canon again, if I don’t get an resolvement the printer will go back to Park cameras, who give a great service. I will probably ask for a swap for the equivalent Epsom printer. Rant over. Please all advice needed.

Last edited:
Might have been an idea to define your problem a bit more if you wanted help here however if it was just to vent your understandable anger that’s fine.

after umpteen tries I could not get it to configerate with my router or computer. Now my router is downstairs in the porch, my computer/ bedroom is upstairs. Everything else works that requires WiFi is good to go except for my pro 10s.

I seem to remember having to set up the wi-fi with a USB cable attached but that was some time ago so could be wrong. Could have been cabled network I was setting up. Different situation and just using it on the USB cable now.

OK peoples, many thanks,
at about 11.30 today I managed to talk to a manager of Canon support by the name of Dave, what a difference the outcome was. I was on the phone earlier still to park cameras who arranged a returns pick up for the printer (10s) and was requested to give canon a final chance. The Canon guy inspired me you know the feeling when talking to a guy who knew what he was talking about? Anyways all was resolved after about an hour on the phone the problem was resolved.
Without going to deeply Dave noted it was the WPS on the router not talking to the printer there is a short span of activity that this has to be done for the connection.
All now working well. We shall see in the next few weeks?
Can anyone tell me that uses this printer the nicest paper to use for landscapes I am considering canon pro lustre and the most cheapest to get paper and ink. I have used premiere ink mostly.

Last edited:
OK peoples, many thanks,
at about 11.30 today I managed to talk to a manager of Canon support by the name of Dave, what a difference the outcome was. I was on the phone earlier still to park cameras who arranged a returns pick up for the printer (10s) and was requested to give canon a final chance. The Canon guy inspired me you know the feeling when talking to a guy who knew what he was talking about? Anyways all was resolved after about an hour on the phone the problem was resolved.
Without going to deeply Dave noted it was the WPS on the router not talking to the printer there is a short span of activity that this has to be done for the connection.
Can anyone tell me that uses this printer the nicest paper to use for landscapes I am considering canon pro lustre and the most cheapest to get paper and ink. I have used premiere ink mostly.

I feel your pain with regards to connecting via WiFi. Took ages and couldn’t get it to work via the WPS method in the end. Ended in connecting via usb and enabling WiFi that way!!!

With regards to paper. I recommend getting some of fotospeeds tester packs. They are doing a deal at the moment for about £30 but includes pretty much 2-3 sheets of A4 of every type of paper they do in their custom range (12-15 types iirc). Gives you a very good idea. They also do a small swatch pack for about £3-4 which is also very good for just seeing the paper type before buying a large quantity.

The Wifi setyp on the 10S is a pain. ISTR that I had to mess about and connect via USB to get it to connect. To be fair it's been fine since. But they should make it more straightforward - the lack of a screen and proper user interface on the 10S makes it more problematic IMO.

I've settled on PermaJet Oyster 271 as my general photo printing paper.

I have used Fotospeed PF as well - I like the colours but I find the surface texture of the paper is a bit more apparent than the PermajJet Oyster.

Definitely worth trying a test pack.

Calumet / Wex also do 'Brilliant' lustre paper which I liked - stiffer than the PermaJet and Fotospeed lustre papers. But the PermaJet and Fotospeed products are easier to get and come in more sizes. I like to keep keep a box of 6x4 for odd handout prints and proofing. Wex don't seem to stock this any more.

I have had a Pro100 now for about 3 years, the only problems I have had is the wifi connection keeps dropping out. When it first happened I emailed canon and found them very helpful, if it drops out now I just connect with a cable, do the print, take the cable out and the next time I want the printer it works by wifi okay.

On the subject of inks I buy mine from " Incredible inks .com", and have never had a problem with them. They are compatible and I had a full set delivered last week for £24 plus coppers.

Thankyou guys for the info will check out the suggestions.

I have checked out the canon pro lustre that was with the 10s and that seemed ok but very expensive in a3 and more so in a3plus. Seems a little mean of canon to sell a A3 printer and not include a couple of A3 sheets.
I have printed a photo and tried to use image garden but when making changes the image garden app goes back to my canon pixma a640 even though its switched off. any tips please as what to do?

I have printed a photo and tried to use image garden but when making changes the image garden app goes back to my canon pixma a640 even though its switched off. any tips please as what to do?
What software are you printing from? Canon supply Print Studio Pro which works well from Photoshop, Lightroom and Canons DPP. Allows the use of profiles etc...

I have had a Pro100 now for about 3 years, the only problems I have had is the wifi connection keeps dropping out. When it first happened I emailed canon and found them very helpful, if it drops out now I just connect with a cable, do the print, take the cable out and the next time I want the printer it works by wifi okay.

On the subject of inks I buy mine from " Incredible inks .com", and have never had a problem with them. They are compatible and I had a full set delivered last week for £24 plus coppers.

Hi
Do you find any difference in quality...?

OK peoples, many thanks,

I use the 100 rather than the 10 and have had a few other Canon printers in the past. I use Ilford Gallerie paper and the Canon Pro Glossy profile. I usually get it from 7dayshop but also use premier-ink when they have an offer on (they sometimes have Canon papers on offer too.)
As for WiFi connection, I have a cable between the 'puter and printer - CBA faffing with the set up and having to redo it every so often!

Hi Philho4 I use aperture/iphoto/photos?and elements 10 I am currently (since monday) trialling Aurora HDR for merging bracketed shots

Hi NOD i agree if the wifi keeps dropping out i will use a cable to the computer too.

Hi DOWTON MINI, I do have Permajet in gloss 271? matt +classic and a test pack 1. but alas there all in A4 size but i did a print.

I should add that the longevity of the Ilford papers' colours seems to be at least as good as that of the Canon papers. I have a load of prints on both just blutakked to a wall - no glass, no protection at all and they're in full daylight, including full sunlight when if there's a decent Winter sunrise.

I always use genuine Canon inks - more expensive than pattern inks but I've only ever had one clogging problem and that was because the old iX4000 got left unused for almost 18 months when I was ill a few years back. I did try a cheapo cartridge in the even older s820 - colour was way off from the start and it faded horrendously.

Just a quick question regarding the Canon Pro 1.... (and to bring this thread back up to the top :) )

The clear coating - do people leave it set to auto or always leave it on 'cover all' when using gloss papers?
I noticed recently that I had 'holes' in my finish using Permajet Smooth Pearl paper where the image was white. I double checked for blown highlights and out of gamut colours in the soft proofing in Lightroom, and those don't appear to have been an issue. I ended up having to do one of the prints again anyway (dropped it when framing and scratched the print surface :oops: :$ ) and chose 'cover all' with the clear coating and it was fine. Is it perhaps an issue only with this paper?

BeBop. Auto analyses the image and selectively applies the coating where its deems required. Cover All forces the full image to to have the chroma optimiser applied. AFAIK.
Yes I was just surprised that it hadn't covered the white areas. I don't know if it does this with all papers. I'm now leaving it on 'Cover All' just in case.... until I get started on matt papers - will have to remember to reset it then!

Permajet tells you to set the media type to Photo paper with semi gloss, so perhaps that has something to do with it.

J Is it perhaps an issue only with this paper?

I think some papers show the effect a bit more strongly.

I've used Permajet Oyster and Fotospeed PF Lustre. If I leave the cover at auto it will miss putting CO on the highlights on both.

I like the Pro-10S a lot but I don't think Canon actually think out the software and settings very well. This CO usage issue is an example. Irritating. Sometimes I think they set deliberate little traps for the unwary.

I think some papers show the effect a bit more strongly.

I've used Permajet Oyster and Fotospeed PF Lustre. If I leave the cover at auto it will miss putting CO on the highlights on both.

I like the Pro-10S a lot but I don't think Canon actually think out the software and settings very well. This CO usage issue is an example. Irritating. Sometimes I think they set deliberate little traps for the unwary.
That's worth knowing, thank you. I'll leave it on Cover All for other non matt papers too then.... when I get to trying other papers.

I'd printed a couple of photos before I noticed. It's only when you inspect it at different angles that it's obvious, but once you know it's there...

Could you tell me if any of these Canon printers have the capability to switch to Matt printing without dumping ink?

Could you tell me if any of these Canon printers have the capability to switch to Matt printing without dumping ink?

Yes.

They just treat the additional black cartridge as if it was another available colour. It's not like Epson where you need to change the cartridges and lose some ink in the process.

Couple of things to watch though. Canon media handling is a bit more restrictive than Epson on sizes - with a maximum print area that restricts the maximum panorama you can print using longer sheets - and they impose minimum margins on some paper types. The Pro-1 has cartridges that are held statically in the printer with feed lines to the head - on first installation these feed lines need to be charged with ink.

Thanks. Need to work out how much space one of these beasts takes up.
Another thing to think about, and I think this only applies to the pigment ink printers, is that they go through frequent cleaning cycles which use up loads of ink.

Jose Rodriguez on YouTube has lots of useful videos. The Canon Pro 1 needs to be left on at all times and if a print is not done every 60 hours, it will do a small cleaning cycle before the next print, and then there are longer cleaning cycles depending on how long you leave it. I think the other pigment Canons are similar. It’s worth researching.

Thanks. Need to work out how much space one of these beasts takes up.

Allow for the space needed behind and in front.

As an example - the Pro 10S closed up is about 38cm deep. To use the main feed which is on top the lid opens and extends back another 15-20cm back from the priner when opened out fully. The output tray extends about 30cm. So in use you need about twice the stated depth plus additional clearance for paper if using the likes of A3 or A3. In practical terms about a metre is needed to operate it.

Sorry if this has already been covered and Im going over old ground but Im sure I read somewhere that my pro 1 could be adapted (with a roller?) to print panos....any advice on this?

I've been tempted to get a printer for a while but had been resisting the urge. However after a a moment of madness, I now possess a used Pro-1...

Back