Beginner Curiosity Killed the Cat!

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
Out of curiosity, what do you take with you when out and about taking photographs - besides your camera equipment.

Is there anything specific you would suggest a beginner to take with them?

Thank you.

Coffee money ... and I still carry a mask and hand sanitiser for any times on the bus or inside property.
Thank you for your response. It is much appreciated. I'll remember to pack those items as one can never be to safe.

Something to clean the front of the lens with, and to wipe hands with.

Water, mints, mobile phone and keys to get back in again :D

Depends entirely on when, what and where.

Sometimes nothing. Sometimes a flask. Sometimes a full winter kit, hand/feet warmers, powerbanks, food....
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I shall keep that in mind when travelling to decide what would be best based on where I am going, what the weather is like and so forth.

Thank you.

Something to clean the front of the lens with, and to wipe hands with.

Water, mints, mobile phone and keys to get back in again :D
Thanks for the kind response. So at the very least keep a clean cloth to clean the lens, water to keep hydrated and grab a bag of mint Imperials then. Might forget my mobile phone. I have a sister who rings me up constantly. I think I'd never take any pictures if I took my phone with me.

As above, depends where I'm headed and what I'm after. Sometimes just the camera and a clean cloth in my pocket, right up to full outdoor gear, waterproofs etc. food and maps with a compass, waterproof cover for the camera.

Last edited:
As above, depends where I'm headed and what I'm after. Sometimes just the camera and a clean cloth in my pocket, right up to full outdoor gear, waterproofs etc. food and maps with a compass, waterproof cover for the camera.
Thank you for the kind and informative response. What would you describe as outdoor gear? I will have to get up-to-date on map reading an using a compass. It's been sometime since I used them. Thank you. You've certainly given me much to think about. It is truly appreciated.

What would you describe as outdoor gear?
I carry spare clothes to layer up or down as the weather shifts, full set of waterproofs, carry a cap to keep rain off my glasses, helps with the sun too if it shows, first aid kit, small pocket knife and an emergency foil blanket. This is over kill for most, but if you push into the mountains or the open countryside, it can be used to help yourself or another.

I still prefer paper maps as I don't rely on phones & apps due to power, signal and screens can get broken :)

I carry spare clothes to layer up or down as the weather shifts, full set of waterproofs, carry a cap to keep rain off my glasses, helps with the sun too if it shows, first aid kit, small pocket knife and an emergency foil blanket. This is over kill for most, but if you push into the mountains or the open countryside, it can be used to help yourself or another.

I still prefer paper maps as I don't rely on phones & apps due to power, signal and screens can get broken :)
Thank you. I think I will carry with me a number of items you and other forum members have listed. It is better to be prepared than not be prepared and have some issue arise. Thank you once more. It is truly appreciated.

Thank you. I think I will carry with me a number of items you and other forum members have listed. It is better to be prepared than not be prepared and have some issue arise. Thank you once more. It is truly appreciated.
Just think twice before packing the kitchen sink ;) :LOL:

I'm afraid I carry a LOT of stuff. Lets say I like to be prepared. My basics are always a torch, hand sanitiser, water sterilising tables in my wallet, swiss army knife, fire starter kit and waterproofs and first aid, but in reality it's a ton more stuff even when I'm not carrying a camera. Heck I carry this when I go to Tesco... mind you havent seen how bad my Tesco is..... ;)

I'm afraid I carry a LOT of stuff. Lets say I like to be prepared. My basics are always a torch, hand sanitiser, water sterilising tables in my wallet, swiss army knife, fire starter kit and waterproofs and first aid, but in reality it's a ton more stuff even when I'm not carrying a camera. Heck I carry this when I go to Tesco... mind you havent seen how bad my Tesco is..... ;)
Thanks for the response. It's truly appreciated. I can only imagine how bad it must be at your Tesco's. Good to know about the fire starter and sterilising tablets. I didn't even think of them. I'll look into it. Thanks.

I went to Swansea once. I ended up in the cells at the police station..... :rolleyes:

Llanelli was nice though :)

I went to Swansea once. I ended up in the cells at the police station..... :rolleyes:

Llanelli was nice though :)
Bloody hell. I'll have to be extra careful round Swansea then. Over zealous police officers I take it? I'll have to put it on my list for future excursions to LLanelli. Thanks.

Bloody hell. I'll have to be extra careful round Swansea then. Over zealous police officers I take it? I'll have to put it on my list for future excursions to LLanelli. Thanks.
He was speeding at 20.5 mph, followed by a panda car with Drippy in the back seat (Drippy = Drakeford).

And Robert, if you are of more advanced years, a mental note of the nearest toilets/bushes/trees ;) and petrol stations. As I was heading towards East Horesely yesterday I was noting the stations/prices and Esso Bookham was at least 5p less for 95Ron than most other stations in the area...

He was speeding at 20.5 mph, followed by a panda car with Drippy in the back seat (Drippy = Drakeford).

And Robert, if you are of more advanced years, a mental note of the nearest toilets/bushes/trees ;) and petrol stations. As I was heading towards East Horesely yesterday I was noting the stations/prices and Esso Bookham was at least 5p less for 95Ron than most other stations in the area...
Thanks for the heads-up. Unfortunately I don't drive so it's all public transport and on foot for me. Though while in my mid-thirties it's still always nice to know where the toilets/bushes and trees are. I was thinking of taking a roll of toilet paper in my pack incase of public toilets having no toilet paper. Your response is much appreciated.

Thanks for the heads-up. Unfortunately I don't drive so it's all public transport and on foot for me. Though while in my mid-thirties it's still always nice to know where the toilets/bushes and trees are. I was thinking of taking a roll of toilet paper in my pack incase of public toilets having no toilet paper. Your response is much appreciated.
Public transport.... Wales...? No chance mate. I hardly ever see a bus. They might have them in Cardiff the "capital" but in my corner, they come about once a fortnight.

Warm and waterproof clothing and something to sit / lie on, phone, midge net and insect repellent (west coast of Scotland and Highlands), chocolate and car keys.
Thanks for the response, much appreciated. So buy a portable seat at the least. Insect repellent as well. I have to agree with the chocolate. Thanks.

There's nothing wrong with a good Dock Leaf. :p

Thanks for the response, much appreciated. So buy a portable seat at the least. Insect repellent as well. I have to agree with the chocolate. Thanks.
I carry a midge head net for horseflies (I'm mildy allergic) but I'm wary of repellent, the army stuff with Deet used to melt the plastic parts on the weapons. Not tried it with cameras and I'm not going to.

I carry a midge head net for horseflies (I'm mildy allergic) but I'm wary of repellent, the army stuff with Deet used to melt the plastic parts on the weapons. Not tried it with cameras and I'm not going to.

Avon's Skin-So-Soft. A friend who spends a lot of time in midge alley remains bite free when using it, as do I when I use it against Cretan bitey insects! The only downside is that it makes you smell like a tart's ar**!!!

Don't forget a pack-horse to carry the bags with all the suggested items in!
Certainly looks that way with all of the suggestions mentioned. If I can't find a horse do you think I could get my misses to act as my bag carrier. :ROFLMAO: I am so dead if she reads this.

I can't blame you for not trying especially if it has the same affect on your camera. You don't want to lose the money you spent on a camera by trying it. Thanks for the response. Much appreciated.

Is there anything specific you would suggest a beginner to take with them?
Inspiration!

Nothing worse than wandering aimlessly around with a camera without an idea of what to do. If you're going to a particular place, or area, do some research on other photographers who have done similar to give your creative side a boost. It's not about copying, but standing on their shoulders and learning from their experience.

Inspiration!

Nothing worse than wandering aimlessly around with a camera without an idea of what to do. If you're going to a particular place, or area, do some research on other photographers who have done similar to give your creative side a boost. It's not about copying, but standing on their shoulders and learning from their experience.
Thanks for the information. I will take it all in heed and research and learn from others. I will admit I was more than likely wandering aimlessly around with a camera when I head out. Thanks for the help.

It depends where I'm going and what I'm shooting. Some examples:

Recent work trip to Chicago - camera, 16-80mm lens and polariser.

Nighttime Vulcan bomber event at a museum - camera, 16-80mm lens, tripod, remote shutter release, plus a couple of other lenses in my bag.

Going out for a day of landscape/whatever shooting: camera, 2 or 3 lenses, tripod, remote shutter release and a few filters.

Spending the afternoon at a nature reserve/bird sanctuary: camera and 100-400mm lens, possibly a polariser if it's a bright day.

(and always spare batteries & SD card)

I very rarely take all my gear out at once: I have a bag that it all fits in, but I generally use that for storage at home, then I decant what I need into a smaller bag for each trip.

It depends where I'm going and what I'm shooting. Some examples:

Recent work trip to Chicago - camera, 16-80mm lens and polariser.

Nighttime Vulcan bomber event at a museum - camera, 16-80mm lens, tripod, remote shutter release, plus a couple of other lenses in my bag.

Going out for a day of landscape/whatever shooting: camera, 2 or 3 lenses, tripod, remote shutter release and a few filters.

Spending the afternoon at a nature reserve/bird sanctuary: camera and 100-400mm lens, possibly a polariser if it's a bright day.

(and always spare batteries & SD card)

I very rarely take all my gear out at once: I have a bag that it all fits in, but I generally use that for storage at home, then I decant what I need into a smaller bag for each trip.
Thanks for the insight. It is truly appreciated. I have two SD cards for the camera. But I was wondering if the sizes were overkill? They are 128 GB and 64 GB. So take what you need and the rest of the time keep it stored in the bag and just remove what is not required for the trip. Thank you.

Thanks for the insight. It is truly appreciated. I have two SD cards for the camera. But I was wondering if the sizes were overkill? They are 128 GB and 64 GB. So take what you need and the rest of the time keep it stored in the bag and just remove what is not required for the trip. Thank you.

I usually use 128GB cards, I don’t think that’s overkill.

Back