D300s cant open raw

Name
SAM MOLYNEUX
Edit My Images
Yes
hi there hope you can help..
i got my self a d300s last week :) had my first event lat night shot on sd card started in jpeg finished in raw.. now ive got a problem my computer has always been able to open raw/nef from my d80 and now it wnt atall not even photoshop will is there a reason for this?

It may be because your version of photoshop is not a current one and so it will not open files from the D300s. I don't know for sure though

Oscasr

Hi,

Camera Raw 5.6 only supports Photo Elements 8+ - however luckily for you :D camera raw 5.5 that supports Photo Elements 7 was the first edition of Camera Raw to support the D300S. Try that one (can be obtained from the same link provided by redhed17)

Hope the above helps,

Mark

It says here that ACR v 5 .6 is 'not compatible with versions of Photoshop earlier than Photoshop CS4, versions of Photoshop Elements earlier than Photoshop Elements 7.0, or versions of Premiere Elements earlier than 7.0.'
Which I take to mean it is compatible with Elements 7. :shrug:

Camera Raw v5.5 is the version which makes the D300s compatible though, so you could try that. :shrug:

It says here that ACR v 5 .6 is 'not compatible with versions of Photoshop earlier than Photoshop CS4, versions of Photoshop Elements earlier than Photoshop Elements 7.0, or versions of Premiere Elements earlier than 7.0.'
Which I take to mean it is compatible with Elements 7. :shrug:

Camera Raw v5.5 is the version which makes the D300s compatible though, so you could try that. :shrug:

Yup sounds odd, if you click on your earlier link and then click raw 5.6 you see:

Camera Raw 5.6 update

This new version of the Camera Raw plug-in replaces the original Camera Raw plug-in that was installed with Adobe® Creative Suite® 4, Adobe Photoshop® CS4, Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 and Premiere® Elements 8 software.

I'm still annoyed about the fact I had to upgrade to CS4 because of it.

edited to add;

The readme seems to be contradicting itself - Installation = Elements 8.0, Compatibility = 7.0

grrrrr Thanks for the help guys muchly apprecited but neither work.. i downloaded them both open'ed them both and it not work such a pain it was my first paid gig last night.. and i dont wanna muck up on the first hurdle..

Sorry to hear that, in CS4 if you select 'Help', followed by 'About Plugin' and then finally Camera Raw it will inform you of the version installed. Do you have the same menu option and if so what version does it report?

Mark

I had the same problem when I bought the D3s. Ended up having to change from CS3 to CS4.
Also had to update Lightroom.
I was just a tad miffed at the time. Got over it now.

Kev.

grrrrr Thanks for the help guys muchly apprecited but neither work.. i downloaded them both open'ed them both and it not work such a pain it was my first paid gig last night.. and i dont wanna muck up on the first hurdle..

Do you mean you downloaded and double-clicked the files? If so, this could be the reason why. I couldn't get the new version of camera raw to work with CS3, I had to manually go into the folder (somewhere in c:\something\'Application Data') and copy the downloaded file into there (replacing the old version). Then it could open my raw files just my clicking on them.

cheers chris i might have to try and do that... just waiting for the internal update to download see if that works

This is from the ReadMe file with ACR v5.6;

'Photoshop Elements:
Windows®:
NOTE: You must follow all of the new instructions in order to successfully install the Camera Raw Plug-in
for Photoshop Elements.
1. Exit Photoshop Elements
2. Open the download file and double-click CameraProfiles.exe and follow the on-screen
instructions.
3. Double-click Local Disk (C:)
4. Navigate to location designated by your version of Photoshop Elements:
a. Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-ins\Elements 8\ File Formats
b. Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 7.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats
5. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your
desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.
6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as Step 4.
7. Launch Photoshop Elements'

Hope that works. (y)

This is from the ReadMe file with ACR v5.6;

'Photoshop Elements:
Windows®:
NOTE: You must follow all of the new instructions in order to successfully install the Camera Raw Plug-in
for Photoshop Elements.
1. Exit Photoshop Elements
2. Open the download file and double-click CameraProfiles.exe and follow the on-screen
instructions.
3. Double-click Local Disk (C:)
4. Navigate to location designated by your version of Photoshop Elements:
a. Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-ins\Elements 8\ File Formats
b. Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 7.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats
5. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your
desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.
6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as Step 4.
7. Launch Photoshop Elements'

Hope that works. (y)

That's what I was trying to say, in a slightly less clear form :D

Worked for me, hope it works for you too!

Chris

WE HAVE A WINNER :)
thanks so much.... now i just have to get used to elements never used it befire always used ps7.....
thank you...

you guys have been so helpfull

Glad you have it sorted Sam. (y)

There is nothing to stop you continuing to use PS7 once you have saved your RAW file as a Jpeg or Tiff, Elements 7 is enabling you to use the ACR pluging.

That said, Elements 7 is a much newer program and I would think is now up to most, if not all, of the features of PS7.

Happy editing. (y)

Back