weekly David's 52+2 for 2014 - SHAPE

Bit too tightly cropped for me, but I do like the composition with the chimney and the pp (y)

Swirl - I really like this one. DoF has been mentioned and normally I would have liked to seen a bit more of the front of the cake in focus. However given the theme the main point of focus is spot on. You just can;t help but be drawn to the swirl. I like it. Nit picking would be to remove the hair on the left side of the surface.

Linked - Not something I'd probably go for but I quite this contrast and in places over exposed approach. Quite gritty in nature.

Hi there...well done to your wife on making such delicious looking cakes :) I love the swirly icing but as I think someone has said, the paper case is a bit distracting, it may look better out of the case completely.
I really your linked, lots of lovely texture and colours in the gates and the chain, and well done for getting that chimney in too. It is a bit bright, I think the lovely colours would show up even better if it was a tad darker.

Thanks for the comments. It's not a hair, its the texture on the worktop but yes it is distracting. When I redo it I will choose a better spot.

I'll see about the exposure on the linked image and repost.

Many thanks for your time.
David.

inetersting one for linked.... seems a hard (impossible) one to frame I think... I'd like more room around the chimney between the gates, which means either moving chimney or gates.... or being closer to gates, but then you loose the rectangle round the chain, can;t go landscape orientation as you lose the height on the chimney.

Think you made the best of the situation, and I like the gritty processing.

Oh I like rusty old gates & chains & things. Nice PP, a bit over the top as you say, but I like it.

Swirl......gimme....gimme...

Good detail and nice lighting. I'd like to see a slightly higher elevation looking down more to emphasise the swirls.

Linked, on theme but I'd like it a bit closer with a shallower DOF.

Cheers.

Hi,

Swirl - I agree its DOF is too shallow and it makes it look soft in too many areas, theme-wise, it works well though.
Linked - I see you've gone for the chained gate idea. It looks good, I quite like it even though it's not something I'd go for. I think you've captured the textures well.

Hi David

Linked......like it , edit works a touch better but still a little to bright in the sky against the gritty hdr'ish pp on the chain & gate ( which I really like bty) Great spot to put the chimmney central (y)

Hi, I sort of like the image, the placement of the tower, but the PP is a bit too harsh, the colour of the gate and chain are good everything else seems a little too bright, including the tower

I'm a bit undecided David, I like the detail, the orange overalls......:thinking: ....work, but a bit like selective colouring
dunno1.gif
.......not too sure on the pov either :)

Lol. Cheers Phil. Unfortunately we're made to wear this ridiculous colour. Anyone would think we're Network Rail. And it clashes with my hair too... :LOL: Not sure what other POV I could have done though? I didn't just want to photo a step... ;)

What is it with irrational hatred of SC?? :) Which this isn;t even!! ;)

Changing your POV is a great tool we all have for making a shot "different", full marks for use of it here David, and it's a minor point but you've managed to convey "step" rather than "steps" very effectively.

The orange overalls work really well with the 'industrial'ness of the steps

Th orange really pops and I like the gritty feel to it. Liking the perspective but I'd like just one leg...if that was possible.

Cheers.

Ok, another attempt at swirl that i took today on one of two wedding cakes that we delivered.

You'll have to excuse the composition (although i love it personally!) as we have used it for a new batch of business cards. :D

Step - In the week where the closure of mines has been in the news this reminded me of maybe a miner going to work. The industrial greyness of the steps is offset really well by the orange legs. The mucky boots help give a sense of realism as well.

Nice shot of the swirl on the cake as well. The composition works really well and would certainly suit a business card. Nicely lit and a good complimentary background colour.

Last edited:
Back