Diesel prices

I filled up 3 days ago for £1.57.9 locally, another garage that usually has keen prices is today £1.76.9. I'm sure the fuel must have been refined a while ago, so there is sure to be profiteering, though tbh I don't mond a little of that as the margin on fuel sales is tiny, the retailers depend on volume, but I di deplore the more ridiculous prices

I'm sure the fuel must have been refined a while ago,
As I mentioned elsewhere, the prices increase immediately, on "old" stock"

And are very slow to drop, when the price per barrel drops, if it does indeed drop at all, at the pumps...

Last edited:
Had to put 29 litres in this morning in the wife's car - diesel - £50, so we are spending £100 a month on the work commute, but if we used the only other alternative - train - it would be £301. for the monthly season ticket. Someone is making a lot of money out of these constant fuel and transport hikes.

The Aston Martin garage in Long Stratton, Stratton Motor Company, Norfolk. £1.99 per :eek:

Last edited:
Round here, Bradford area, some are £1.80, others slightly less. At my other home in Scarborough prices are generally about 5p more expensive. My son managed to buy 800 litres a couple of weeks ago (because it was obvious that prices would go up) but then he has somewhere to store it.

We bought 2000 litres of red for the farm at the same time, 93p plus VAT - a year ago it was 45p. And fertiliser has trebled in price, so expect food prices to go up with a bang.

bawbee.jpg

Fife, Scotland

The Aston Martin garage in Long Stratton, Stratton Motor Company, Norfolk. £1.99 per :eek:
Well of course, up market cars deserve up market fuel, at an up market price
:D

I remember when there was uproar at £1 a litre!
And I remember when a penny or two increase used to make the news.

I remember when petrol was 4 shillings and fourpence a gallon....

I remember when petrol was 4 shillings and fourpence a gallon....
I'm obviously not as old as you, :p
I remember buying 3 gallons, handing the guy a pound note, and getting a penny change,
Those were the days :D

We seem to have lost the ability as a nation to take direct action. We are far too busy being offended by pettiness. These companies should be ostracised.

Obliviously the oil companies are making outrages profits on the back of war, but I'm not sure they are totally to blame for some of the prices at the pump, I think there are a lot of garages making a quick buck here too.

Why should there be such a wide variation of prices locally, if garage A can sell it at £1.70, why does garage B need to charge £1.90

Obliviously the oil companies are making outrages profits on the back of war, but I'm not sure they are totally to blame for some of the prices at the pump, I think there are a lot of garages making a quick buck here too.

Why should there be such a wide variation of prices locally, if garage A can sell it at £1.70, why does garage B need to charge £1.90

Prices seem to leap up with every delivery, so that would account from some price differences. But with some its clearly profiteering, pure and simple. Pity anyone forced by circumstances to buy at these rip-off prices...........

Pity anyone forced by circumstances to buy at these rip-off prices...........
Sooner or later it'll affect food prices too, after all supply lorries run on diesel
And they don't do Many gallons ( :D ) to the mile :(

Sooner or later it'll affect food prices too, after all supply lorries run on diesel
And they don't do Many gallons ( :D ) to the mile :(

Indeed! And buses. And trains........

I did hear a comment a few days ago that fuel prices should stabilise or perhaps fall in the near future.

Last edited:
A large goods vehicle (LGV) will be looking to return about 8 or 9 miles per gallon. Less than 2 miles per litre!

Can you still get Arrowroot biscuits?

i'm generally not to fussed about fuel prices might keep the gaz guzzlers off the road a bit :) also i only drive my car for business
and i get 20p per mile for every mile so hey ho my snail does 50 miles a gall on the unleaseded stuff

Last edited:
Filled up this morning after the weekly shop £1.547 per litre for petrol up from £1.517 last week, £1.657 for diesel. The only time I saw circa £1.90 was Premium diesel at £1.909.

Drove through Cobham today.
One side of town Sainsburys £1.70 per litre
Other side of town independent Esso franchise - £1.86 per litre!
2 miles apart.

Last edited:
It’s about time that the supposed govt stepped in with a ( even if temporary) ruling that makes a set price for both petrol and diesel to stop what I can only see as profiteering .. the oil companies are always quoting the price per barrel .. so it shoul£ all be retailing at the same price.
Not us kicking our own backsides when we see it cheaper down the road .. time for the price lottery to end ..

It’s 1.80 per litre where I am, that’s a very slight decrease from 1.84 the other day!
It cost me just under £90 for half a tank, it’s horrendous!

Back