DPOTY 2023 - Chat Thread

And I'm really grateful to everyone for joining in. I'm sure the number of participants will vary from month to month, but this is a great start.

I think I am going to have to use my back up plan...

Have uploaded an entry, hopefully going to use the challenge as motivation to get out and use my camera more.
Hopefully will encourage me to post more on here instead of being just a lurker.
Although I'm not really a lurker here, I have been lacking in a bit of motivation and inspiration. So I'm hoping this gives me a bit of as kick up the backside :)

Although I'm not really a lurker here, I have been lacking in a bit of motivation and inspiration. So I'm hoping this gives me a bit of as kick up the backside :)
I find it a good way to get me up and out shooting.

One thing that I am interested in is knowing how many of the participants here decide on a concept to fit the challenge and then go and try to execute it and how many go out and just let what they find "drive'" their entry...if that makes sense....

I know that, generally, other then having the remit in the back of my mind, I usually don't have a final product in mind when I step out of the house.

I’m in the latter camp Bill. I go out with a general idea and see what I can find, but often find something completely different.

One thing that I am interested in is knowing how many of the participants here decide on a concept to fit the challenge and then go and try to execute it and how many go out and just let what they find "drive'" their entry...if that makes sense....
I come up with an idea/concept first. Usually something will pop into my head one day and I'll then spend a few days (or weeks) trying to figure out how I'm going to achieve the shot.

I left it so late that I just went for a walk looking for something to fit the theme of decay.

Hopefully I will be better prepared next month :LOL:
For, me that's often the best way. I find that I can overthink something so much that I never end up executing it in a way that I'm happy with...

I ponder for days upon a subject and wait for inspiration as to what to shoot, then I go out and do something completely different.

I find it a good way to get me up and out shooting.

I know that, generally, other then having the remit in the back of my mind, I usually don't have a final product in mind when I step out of the house.
I shoot specific to the theme but I tend to rush so don't get impressive shots just ones that for the theme. Note to self, must try harder.....................

Last edited:
Annoyingly I have a very specific shot in mind that I’ve being meaning to take for years now that would fit this perfectly. Unfortunately family circumstances are currently making it a tad difficult to say the least. Fingers crossed I can try and get it before the deadline

@Hadron go for the shot anyway, even if you miss the deadline, because this theme crops up pretty regularly in competitions and challenges here and elsewhere.

I haven’t posted an image here before. Could you tell me the maximum size? Thanks.

I think it's 1000px on the longest side. If you link to a Flickr account that's all you need to worry about. If you add it as an attachment, there is a kb size limit too. My Lightroom settings for Export are 1000px on the longest side and a max filesize of 500kb and they seem to attach just fine. I could be wrong of course, I haven't checked to see if the rules have changed recently, but those settings will be fine for online display.

I haven’t posted an image here before. Could you tell me the maximum size? Thanks.
I can't recall the official answer, but I resize everything to 2000 pixels on the long side, and that seems to work just fine.

Update - Oops, conflicting answers! Ignore mine.

Thanks for your feedback. Ian's settings worked fine!

Longest edge 1024px. That gives a correct filesize etc, but as was said above, put the full size/full res image in flickr and link to it as well (if you want to)

Next month is really out of my comfort zone, not really sure where to start.
Only long exposures I have ever taken were by accident when the shutter speed crept too low.
All those creamy water and car light trail photos have never rocked my world, time to get thinking.
So thanks for the motivation, a genre I would never have bothered with otherwise.

Last edited:
Only long exposures I have ever taken were by accident when the shutter speed crept too low.
All those creamy water and car light trail photos have never rocked my world, time to get thinking.
So thanks for the motivation, a genre I would never have bothered with otherwise.

Already got mine, took it last week. I have to get in first as loads of people are going to do it the same way, I expect.

I'm with you on this.
I have taken a shot for next month, but it will be pushing the "rules" a bit (I know there aren't really any rules, but I'm trying to be as true to the challenge as possible).
I think I'll only use it if I don't come up with something else more appropriate :)

I'm trying to tie this challenge in with my 52 week one. I've got themes, etc stored on my phone. As and when I get time with the camera and go out I can check what's coming up and think about things walking around.

I've just done some long exposure stuff on my 52 that I can use here in February, but I've spent this evening trying a new long exposure technique I saw on YouTube and been to a local motorway bridge for some car light trails. I'm in London last week of Feb, so taking the camera and will see if I can get any decent long exposure stuff there also.

Managed a last minute entry just now. Time and energy are short at present, and the idea I had required some quiet and space to organise - our son is living with us at the moment, and has innocently but completely disrupted my normal way of working.

January entries now closed, I'll put up a Poll as soon as I can find the time; meanwhile I'll also put up the thread for February entries later today.

Blimey, you are on the ball!

I do have some film shots ready to decide upon though. And I do have some night sky digital but I do like the idea of shooting a thought out shot for the theme really.
Remember Lee I shot 9 out of the 12 on one film and replicated the shots on digital so I've got some buffers if I don't get anything better but I liked these ones so went in early.

FWIW I plan to shoot these one per month, mostly, rather than knock them out and move on.
I think that's the way the challenge is intended Toni but I just wanted to add another dimension to it for myself so I decided to use my Leica M9 for the digital and my Leica MP for the film but as film and processing is very expensive these days I got as many themes on one roll as I could. I have 7 more in the bag but now have time if I want to re-do them but on MF film for the convenience of 12 shots per roll making it easier to meet deadlines.

I'm a bit behind - did I see something about definition of long exposure being relative to the subject? Doesn't have to be a 10-stop ND effort?

Thanks @LeeRatters @TimHughes correct, you can do a Big Stopper or as per the entries already in, it's loose. A 1 second exposure is long for some subjects, 30 seconds (* 60 stacked) is pretty normal for deep sky astro, 2 minutes plus is short for pinholes...

Thanks @LeeRatters @TimHughes correct, you can do a Big Stopper or as per the entries already in, it's loose. A 1 second exposure is long for some subjects, 30 seconds (* 60 stacked) is pretty normal for deep sky astro, 2 minutes plus is short for pinholes...

So the picture MUST use a long exposure, rather than allegory - perhaps I need to re-read the rules.

@ancient_mariner I was trying to give an answer to Tim - but shoehorns can be deployed, and I'd include allegorical "long exposures" to that category. Basically don't let the rules get in the way of a good idea for a shot, so long as it can somehow be squeezed into the theme.

Well, the results for January are in, with @Allan.H 's "Old Pear" (my title not his) a clear favourite with viewers. @Gav-canon with "Forgotten Fruits" and @Nostromo 's "Chrysanthemums" also very popular. The points tracking spreadsheet has been populated with results for January, and I've added a snapshot below.
To those who got few or no votes - don't be discouraged, you joined in which was the whole point, and some subjects work better for some people than others. Just keep plugging away at it, because it's all about doing photography, not winners and losers.

1675857234166.png

Attachments

• 1675849935293.png
    1675849935293.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Back