B&W Em - another attempt added

Gav.

Challenge Owner
Name
Gav
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

My partner (Em) is very shy, it's taken a long time to get her to agree a photo, I've never done anything like this before.

Happy to hear any C&C as always.

Thank you for looking

Em
by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

Very intense, I wonder if it was possible to get sharper focus on her eye

Very intense, I wonder if it was possible to get sharper focus on her eye
Thank you

I think I have lost detail during the processing, I've never done anything like this and I fear I've messed up.

I need to read up on the editting! :LOL:

I will try again when Em feels up to it, this time with a set up, not a last minute 'yeah ok' :D

The eyelashes look sharp on Flickr, but there seems to be some artifacting on the eye itself. Still I quite like it has a dramatic feel to it.

The eyelashes look sharp on Flickr, but there seems to be some artifacting on the eye itself. Still I quite like it has a dramatic feel to it.
Thank you

Looking back at it again, I've made a mess of it, I think I've introduced noise somewhere along the way.

I need to take another look.

haha! Are you sure she's happy about this Gav? :D

It looks sharp enough on my screen and any softness could well help, IMO. Very arty and moody and well processed too. Well done Gav :D

Is she pleased with it?

haha! Are you sure she's happy about this Gav? :D
:LOL: .. no..
It looks sharp enough on my screen and any softness could well help, IMO. Very arty and moody and well processed too. Well done Gav :D
Thank you, I need to retry with the processing and another shot if Em is up for it.
Is she pleased with it?
Em isn't so keen, but did like the finished look, she is very shy and really struggles with self confidence, she was much more at ease after I suggested a half 'portrait'.
It may have back fired, as she now wants me to do one myself :oops: :$ :LOL:

I've only looked at that on my phone, but it looks great! I agree if the sharpness isn't there then a softer filtered look would work too; it would look good on a canvas, but I'm guessing Em might not like that idea!

I've only looked at that on my phone, but it looks great! I agree if the sharpness isn't there then a softer filtered look would work too; it would look good on a canvas, but I'm guessing Em might not like that idea!

When I had Canon DSLR's I bought a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and it was the sharpest lens I'd ever had at that time. I took a picture of my then GF with it on my 20D and when I saw the result I was shocked and that experience convinced me that a picture of your GF can be too sharp. These days I have sharper lenses but I sometimes use old film era lenses too, just for the look.

I think a picture being a good and even flattering is much more important than sharpness. For people and a picture like the OP's I personally would have sharpness waaaay down the list of requirements. Where the focus point is in a picture could be a talking point I suppose but sharpness? Not for me, but each to their own :D

When I had Canon DSLR's I bought a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and it was the sharpest lens I'd ever had at that time. I took a picture of my then GF with it on my 20D and when I saw the result I was shocked and that experience convinced me that a picture of your GF can be too sharp. These days I have sharper lenses but I sometimes use old film era lenses too, just for the look.

I think a picture being a good and even flattering is much more important than sharpness. For people and a picture like the OP's I personally would have sharpness waaaay down the list of requirements. Where the focus point is in a picture could be a talking point I suppose but sharpness? Not for me, but each to their own :D

Yep, agree with all this. I read a while back about that famous picture of the (I think) Afgham woman from years ago, and actually the focus point is on her ear rather than her eye, or something like that. The whole point of the article was that if you were judging it purely on technical excellence it wouldn't do very well, but as a photo that captivates the viewer, it's perfect.

Thank you, Not a chance she'd let me print it for hanging :LOL:

Hi all

Thank you for all the feedback, I (we) came up with this on a 3rd attempt... Happy to hear C&C good or bad ;)

Em MK III by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

Last edited:
Women are great putting on a scary look, that last one is a cracker mate.
They are.. I did ask for another camera to get the look :p:LOL:

She seems up for more now :)

Thank you (y)

I prefer the first one. The second has that strong black to the right whereas the original just has out of focus fall off.

Which do you two prefer Gav?

I prefer the first one. The second has that strong black to the right whereas the original just has out of focus fall off.

Which do you two prefer Gav?
Thank you, Alan.

I think I prefer the second, but have to admit .. I never noticed the darker shoulder until you pointed it out, I was too fixed on the details and her face, I think I've spent too long on it and need to step away and look with 'fresh' eyes in a few days.

Thank you, Alan.

I think I prefer the second, but have to admit .. I never noticed the darker shoulder until you pointed it out, I was too fixed on the details and her face, I think I've spent too long on it and need to step away and look with 'fresh' eyes in a few days.

If you end up preferring the 2nd and are distracted by the black now that I've pointed it out (soz about that...) you could maybe do something to soften the effect and have the best of both shots? Having said that I see nothing wrong with the first :D

Good that she's getting into having her picture taken now :D

If you end up preferring the 2nd and are distracted by the black now that I've pointed it out (soz about that...) you could maybe do something to soften the effect and have the best of both shots? Having said that I see nothing wrong with the first :D

Good that she's getting into having her picture taken now :D
Thank you, Alan, I'll keep chipping away at it, big learning curve again :LOL:

Although the image seems sharper I prefer the 1st. Where the face is divided in the 2nd it gives the illusion of a very broad bridge to her nose because you can't see the left side but you can in the 1st only just but it makes a difference imo. .

Although the image seems sharper I prefer the 1st. Where the face is divided in the 2nd it gives the illusion of a very broad bridge to her nose because you can't see the left side but you can in the 1st only just but it makes a difference imo. .
I'll look again at that before she gives me a 'broad' nose :LOL:

Can you tell I've a lot to learn?? I'll go back to wildlife :LOL:

Thanks again for the feedback (y)

Back