Eos 6d Owners Thread!

GO OUTSIDE IMMEDIATELY :LOL:

I did just to make sure it works ok, first things first.

Ordered from HDEW last Sunday night, delivered today (Saturday), 6 days from order to delivery, fantastic price, 3 years 3rd party warranty, UK charger and manual. Couldn't ask for more. Serial number looks fine, shot count was 0 and the firmware was up to date.

So this is my first shot just to check it's working and to see what all the FF bokeh was all about :D

Canon 6D
24-105F4L
1/200 Sec
F4
iso100

Barbed by dubzter, on Flickr

Glad it went well for you. Hope it does for me.
Love your fence shot.

Gaz

I've been using my 6D as one of my gig cameras for a few weeks now and I couldn't be happier with it. Its ability to focus in low light and lack of high ISO noise is outstanding. People might complain about the AF ability, but it has no problems tracking fast moving subjects on stage in light that's so poor the 7D just crapped itself in attempting it.

12.jpg

I've been using my 6D as one of my gig cameras for a few weeks now and I couldn't be happier with it. Its ability to focus in low light and lack of high ISO noise is outstanding. People might complain about the AF ability, but it has no problems tracking fast moving subjects on stage in light that's so poor the 7D just crapped itself in attempting it.

Awesome shot!

I have one on the way, and will do a comparison vs my 7D once it arrives.

I have dabbled with FF before, having owned a 5D II for a few days before returning it and then "upgrading" to the 7D. I honestly believe my 5D II had a focusing fault, but it did put me off of FF for a few years. I cannot wait to see how the 6D performs in comparison to my much-loved and excellent 7D.

I have one on the way, and will do a comparison vs my 7D once it arrives.

I have dabbled with FF before, having owned a 5D II for a few days before returning it and then "upgrading" to the 7D. I honestly believe my 5D II had a focusing fault, but it did put me off of FF for a few years. I cannot wait to see how the 6D performs in comparison to my much-loved and excellent 7D.

Prepare to be stunned, I'm selling my 7Ds now that I have the 6D, FAR superior for the kind of photography I do.

Just updating. My 6d came yesterday. From HDew all seems fine not sure what you meant by serial number is ok or shutter count the numbers on the lcd seemed to start at 100-0000.
I ordered on the 8th @ 11pm arrived yesterday 12.30pm.
I bought the kit. Camera came with a uk lead with uk plug and uk manual/book plus there was a 77mm Kenko uv filter in the box.
Fngers crossed all went well.

Gaz

Just updating. My 6d came yesterday. From HDew all seems fine not sure what you meant by serial number is ok or shutter count the numbers on the lcd seemed to start at 100-0000.
I ordered on the 8th @ 11pm arrived yesterday 12.30pm.
I bought the kit. Camera came with a uk lead with uk plug and uk manual/book plus there was a 77mm Kenko uv filter in the box.
Fngers crossed all went well.

Gaz

I had been reading on here that some cameras bought via the grey import route had dodgy looking serial numbers and they didn't match the serial number in the exif. Also I plugged my camera into the MacBook and ran a utility that interrogates the camera to see how many shots it had taken.

I had been reading on here that some cameras bought via the grey import route had dodgy looking serial numbers and they didn't match the serial number in the exif. Also I plugged my camera into the MacBook and ran a utility that interrogates the camera to see how many shots it had taken.

You found one that worked with the 6d?

Thanks for the info. I just checked the serial in exif against the body sticker and alls well. So I'm happy_don't want to faff with the other stuff. Alls working as it should do and looks fine, images seem fab on the random snaps of objects around the home.

Off to make bacon buttie's for breakfast now "day off" ;-)

Gaz

Thanks for the info. I just checked the serial in exif against the body sticker and alls well. So I'm happy_don't want to faff with the other stuff. Alls working as it should do and looks fine, images seem fab on the random snaps of objects around the home.

Off to make bacon buttie's for breakfast now "day off" ;-)

Gaz

Great stuff, I'll have one with brown sauce cheers?

Tomato for me :)

I have used HDEW before without issue. They do take some time to deliver (5-6 days), but they are cheap and most importantly reliable.

Last edited:
Still getting to grips with the new camera but here is a shot from yesterday evening. I was quite surprised how much more pronounced the distortion of my lenses seems on a FF sensor

Castle Sinclair Girnigoe by dubzter, on Flickr

When you say distortion do you mean the vignetting ? , if you do ,check the lens aberration correction in the cameras menu for the lenses that you are using , i am currently using the 24-70mm mk1 lens and the correction wasnt enabled for my lens and the vignetting was very noticeable without it .

When you say distortion do you mean the vignetting ? , if you do ,check the lens aberration correction in the cameras menu for the lenses that you are using , i am currently using the 24-70mm mk1 lens and the correction wasnt enabled for my lens and the vignetting was very noticeable without it .

That doesn't work when shooting raw, most of the correction on camera only works when shooting jpeg, highlight priority, chromatic aberration, lens correction etc

Yeah, I think the in-camera corrections are for JPEG only. One click in Lightroom will give you the same results for RAW, though.

It wouldn't strictly be a RAW file if the body applied correction in any way. Canon have done the correct thing by allowing corrections to JPEG's only. For RAW shooter LR or DPP are your friends, although you can never completely correct wide lenses.

Yeah it was a RAW file and I applied the Lens correction in Lightroom. But as you can see in the image the foremost left hand corner wall looks like it is leaning backwards. My 60d didn't exhibit this to the same extent. I could have resolved it by using the manual controls in the lens correction tab of lightroom but I ended up loosing too much of the image so left it at the auto settings. Bit of a ramble there hope it makes sense.

Yeah it was a RAW file and I applied the Lens correction in Lightroom. But as you can see in the image the foremost left hand corner wall looks like it is leaning backwards. My 60d didn't exhibit this to the same extent. I could have resolved it by using the manual controls in the lens correction tab of lightroom but I ended up loosing too much of the image so left it at the auto settings. Bit of a ramble there hope it makes sense.

You have to remember that the 60d is a crop so the distortion will always be less than that of FF!

It has arrived:D.

First impressions compared to my 7D are:-

*It's small and light, perhaps a little too small for my banana fingers. My little finger slips under the main body whilst holding it. 7D is definitely better suited to extra large hands.
*Build quality seems pretty good. Better than my 40D, but not quite up to 7D standards.
*I will miss the extra buttons and joystick on the 7D. Simple things such as zooming into pictures for review take an extra step. Buttons and controls are also lower quality and less tactile than those on the 7D.
*I like the fact that it uses SD cards rather than CF. This makes it much easier to transfer images to laptops. Some may prefer CF or dual slots, but I am happy with SD.
*Viewfinder is much brighter and bigger than the 7D. It may only cover 97%, but it is lovely to look through.
*4.5fps is fast enough. I never used 8fps on the 7D.
*Shutter noise is very quiet.
*AF is very good in low light. It was the first thing I tested with curtains closed and lights off. With the 17-55 f/2.8 on my 7D and the 24-105 on the 6, the 6D still focuses much much faster in low light.
*High-ISO performance is almost 2 stops better. Pixel for pixel ISO 3200 on the 7D is very close to ISO 12800 on the 6 (NR off in both bodies).
*As expected, the 7D AF tracks my dog running around the garden much better with my 70-300L attached. The 6D is not bad, but it is no sports camera. 90% of the shots taken with my 7D used center focus point only, so I doubt I will notice this loss in tracking too much.
*I will never use GPS or WIFI. I know where I have been and don't need to see it on a silly map, and WIFI is hobbled because there is no simple method to wireless transfer full sized images to PC or laptop.
*IQ is lovely, and this is the most important point(y).

I am not certain whether to keep the 6D or stick with the 7D. I have had a 3 year love affair with the 7D and it is hard to let go. I need to play with the 6D for a few more days before making my mind up.

Just been playing with my dads 7d and my 6d, both with my canon 24-105 L and i have to say the IQ is better on the 6d, the focus speed is (marginally / subjectively) better, the colour rendition is better, the low light is better....... but as said before the af speed is better on the 7d with tracking moving objects..... but that is it, please know that if your buying this camera you're not buying it for its sports/ wildlife/ action capabilities!

It is great but you have to have patience and learn what it can do and how to use it capabilities, not think, oh the 7d this, the 5d3 that.... you have to think, the 6d is.... and you know what, imo, the 6d is amazing!

Im no pro, i do not take pro shots, i take hobbyist shots. The 6d is great and i love it :)

**rant over**

Back