EU Immigrants to the UK add more to the economy than they take out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if the home office reports are to be believed then we're talking about a net increase of about 100,000 people out of 60 million. Of which the vast majority are well educated and motivated to work. It's hardly a big deal is it? An increase of 0.16%. It's barely a rounding error.

It hardly seems like a good enough reason to me to leave the EU!

Well if the home office reports are to be believed then we're talking about a net increase of about 100,000 people out of 60 million. Of which the vast majority are well educated and motivated to work. It's hardly a big deal is it? An increase of 0.16%. It's barely a rounding error.

Theres 1.7billion reasons to leave...

British tax revenue should stay in Britain. Discuss.
tumblr_lps76r3f341r00k3po1_400_zpsnakstvmm.gif

Theres 1.7billion reasons to leave...
£1.7 Billion pounds to cover an underpayment over the last 10 years or so. All calculated by figures we calculated using a formula we agreed to!

And just to put that £1.7 billion into context that's 0.2% of our annual govt expenditure. Economically it's not worth even talking about. Politically though I admit it's dynamite and couldn't have come at a worse time.

Take it out of the £5billion that those immigrants have given us.

Last edited:
£1.7 Billion pounds to cover an underpayment over the last 10 years or so. All calculated by figures we calculated using a formula we agreed to!

And just to put that £1.7 billion into context that's 0.2% of our annual govt expenditure. Economically it's not worth even talking about. Politically though I admit it's dynamite and couldn't have come at a worse time.

The £5bil we could have raised from British tax payers. £1.7bil of British money IMHO that should stay in Britain, to be spent on British people....

Well if the home office reports are to be believed then we're talking about a net increase of about 100,000 people out of 60 million. !
I don't think anyone really believes that do they?
Especially as they have lost a half of them.
CBA to go looking for actual immigration figures though.

I'm old enough to remember when the blue team led us in to the "common market"
in 1973, 2 years later there was a referendum, as to whether or not we should stay.

"The electorate expressed significant support for EEC membership, with 67% in favour on a 65% turnout."

I also remember the fact that no one I spoke to said they'd voted "YES"
and a myriad of cards with a "Don't blame me" "I voted no", sticker in the window or on the bumper.

I'm not suggesting the immigration issue is enough to get out,
but with everything else taken into account a lot of people think there is now a strong enough reason to leave.

It'll be interesting to see if another referendum is held though ;)

gadgeteer let me ask you a honest question ,if your avatar is actually of you i would hazard a guess your of chinese descent ,you have stated your wife is of polish origin ,you may well have been born here ? i don't know ,but if not do you class yourself now as british or indeed does your wife now class herself as british or polish .this is the whole crux of the matter ,personally i,m 3rd generation immigrant descent myself ,but my grandparents made england there home with no intention of going back and my grandparents ,parents and all related uncles cousins etc have all worked for britain and served in her armed forces as and when required .
what is you and your wifes view on this are we just a stopgap country while the goings good to be dumped if circumstances change ,will you then turn tail and depart our fair shores or will you stay and defend this green and pleasant (with a lot of concrete these days )land

Well if the home office reports are to be believed then we're talking about a net increase of about 100,000 people out of 60 million.
I don't think anyone really believes that do they?
Especially as they have lost a half of them.
CBA to go looking for actual immigration figures though.
@Cobra, you're confusing legal immigrants from the EU with illegal immigrants.

The recent report about immigrants being net contributors to the UK economy refers specifically to legal EU immigrants.

The ones the Home Office have lost are illegal non-EU immigrants. Not relevant to the current discussion.

Australia has one of the highest immigrant populations in the westen world.
Points based. They keep a lot of undesirable sorts out.
Let's see if I understand this.

Australia allows legal immigrants to have jobs and pay taxes. We allow legal immigrants to have jobs and pay taxes. The average legal immigrant into Australia is better educated than the average Australian. The average legal immigrant into Britain is better educated than the average Brit. Legal immigrants are net contributors to the Australian economy. Legal immigrants are net contributors to the British economy.

Remind me again what the difference is? (Remember, we're not talking about illegal immigrants.)

@Cobra, you're confusing legal immigrants from the EU with illegal immigrants.
The recent report about immigrants being net contributors to the UK economy refers specifically to legal EU immigrants.
The ones the Home Office have lost are illegal non-EU immigrants. Not relevant to the current discussion.
Not confusing them at all.
There are apparently (!) 100000 legals
according to the data above. (!)
And half that number, they have no idea where they are.
They are still immigrants.

I could argue that half of what the legals are adding to the country is
off set by the illegals.

But quite frankly I CBA.

Australia allows legal immigrants to have jobs and pay taxes. We allow legal immigrants to have jobs and pay taxes. The average legal immigrant into Australia is better educated than the average Australian. The average legal immigrant into Britain is better educated than the average Brit. Legal immigrants are net contributors to the Australian economy. Legal immigrants are net contributors to the British economy.

Remind me again what the difference is? (Remember, we're not talking about illegal immigrants.)

EU immigrants are permitted into the UK to seek work...legally. Not so in Australia. Employment must be in place.

EU immigrants are permitted to bring immediate dependants (wife/husband/kids) with them, as immigrants to Aus also can do (with age & education status limits).

The difference is that these dependants of immigrants to the UK immediately become eligible for UK benefits. In Australia that is not the case.

And where do you get the information regarding average education?

Last edited:

Hope you don't mind but when you say we agreed no one asked me did I miss that part.

0.2% that means the UK pays the EU's Ebola contribution and aparantly some of this is off the back of prostitutes backs

I wonder if the money not worth talking about would fund the NHS I little more and if it won't be missed maybe we could fund some more paper shredders for politicians expenses claims

I'm quite lucky that at my age i probably won't see the total ruin of this country under the weight of the EU !
I wonder how many Brits left the UK to skank off another EU country when we joined, I can't imagine Poland having a British immigrant problem :runaway:

Not to worry thou as soon as Britian is in ruin they'll bugger off back home :wave:

EU ruling that will get 5m workers better holiday pay when it includes compulsory overtime earnings.
Also ensures that nobody has to work more than 48 hours a week if they don't want to

They control their borders. We have to let in EU people qualified or not.

EU ruling that will get 5m workers better holiday pay when it includes compulsory overtime earnings.
Also ensures that nobody has to work more than 48 hours a week if they don't want to

48 hour ruling has been around for donkey's years.

The overtime ruling is interesting - doubt it will affect that many people, and as with the 48 hour ruling I expect companies will ask people to sign an exemption to it. I need to read up more on it as I'm not actually clear of what the ruling actually says or how it would be applied.

Donkeys years or not its still an EU directive

Why anyone would sign away their rights is beyond me, no wonder we are so far behind our European counterparts when it comes to working conditions

Why anyone would sign away their rights is beyond me, no wonder we are so far behind our European counterparts when it comes to working conditions
Same old same old, isn't it?
"If you won't do it someone will" ;)

About time people stood up for themselves or at least their children who will suffer for their spineless behaviour.

Current younger generation don't seem to have much fight in them, hard won terms and conditions are just being surrendered for nothing

Moan like s*** about it, but won't take any action to prevent it

Last edited:
About time people stood up for themselves or at least their children who will suffer for their spineless behaviour.

Current younger generation don't seem to have much fight in them, hard won terms and conditions are just being surrendered for nothing

Moan like s*** about it, but won't take any action to prevent it
Yep that sounds like us.
But in the words of the song, every generation, blames the one before ;)

Yes and it's outrageous. Someone should put a stop to it immediately!!

My view is that if people are willing to give up everything to move here and work to make a better life for themselves, then we need more people like that, not fewer.

We have to let in EU people qualified or not.

And other EU countries have to let us in. It's something many Brits take advantage of.

Steve.

Last edited:

Some people like to work long hours for lots of money. If the British are such a lazy, incapable and delinquent lot how come so many people in work here are happy to work 48hrs per week. Or do we need half of Poland here to do half our jobs.

Not sure what the recent overtime thing has to do with immigration? Besides that ruling is several years from being applied in practice.
Overtime has a lot to do with imigration for many take an example worker has loads of overtime government decides to reduce unemployment says new worker gets reduced NIS contributions off the employer

Employer recruits extra immigrants factory saves money on overtime British worker has no overtime and as annual earning is now less his pension drops as well

Now worker has less disposable income and can't buy stuf so inflation drops

Low inflation less pay rise if any viscous cycle

If people worked less hours there would be more jobs and no they wouldn't all be done by a foreigner

Overtime has a lot to do with imigration for many take an example worker has loads of overtime government decides to reduce unemployment says new worker gets reduced NIS contributions off the employer

Employer recruits extra immigrants factory saves money on overtime British worker has no overtime and as annual earning is now less his pension drops as well

Now worker has less disposable income and can't buy stuf so inflation drops

Low inflation less pay rise if any viscous cycle
That makes a bit more sense, as it was just dropped into the thread with no explanation ala EU soapbox.

However I fail to see how legally immigrant workers could be paid any less. Minimum wage is minimum wage (let's face it that's the end of the spectrum most likely to want to save money). Every immigrant work I know earns the same as their "native" counterpart.

And like I say the recent overtime news I doubt a) any foreigners keep up with our news b) will cause any sudden increase in immigration.

Mountains and molehills :)

If people worked less hours there would be more jobs and no they wouldn't all be done by a foreigner

So if I reduce my overtime that'll mean an army of immigrants will take it over? Err no.

It's a valid point. If we are such an idle lot why are we willing to work 48hrs per week. After all Poles are.

I'm to be honest fed up with the assertion that British people are lazy and we need non British people to work. Some cracking stuff is done here by British people.

Let's twist again, like we did last summer..

That makes a bit more sense, as it was just dropped into the thread with no explanation ala EU soapbox.

However I fail to see how legally immigrant workers could be paid any less. Minimum wage is minimum wage (let's face it that's the end of the spectrum most likely to want to save money). Every immigrant work I know earns the same as their "native" counterpart.

And like I say the recent overtime news I doubt a) any foreigners keep up with our news b) will cause any sudden increase in immigration.

Mountains and molehills :)
I never mentioned minimum wage a friend for 4 years had overtime coming out of his ears most weeks 7 days the NIS rule came out and now many foreign workers have increased the staff levels substantially the management get awards the workers struggle to live now if the employer increased the hourly rate and made up for far less hours happy days but they don't so they are stuffed

So as far as I am concerned the increase say over the last 18 month has already done the job, in addition same worker wanted to see GP appointment was 4 weeks I wonder who the extra visitors to his practice might have come from.

Yep he had a mountain of money now he is in a mole hill think he is still digging

I thought it was an EU directive.....but I'm no expert.

At one of my past jobs they asked everyone to sign contracts stipulating we would waive the 48 hour rule. I refused, but then ended up working more than anyone else ironically! In practise I don't think anyone should do this, I believe it's averaged over a period of time (11 weeks?).

That said some of my current colleagues like doing overtime for the financial aspect.

I never mentioned minimum wage a friend for 4 years had overtime coming out of his ears most weeks 7 days the NIS rule came out and now many foreign workers have increased the staff levels substantially the management get awards the workers struggle to live now if the employer increased the hourly rate and made up for far less hours happy days but they don't so they are stuffed

No you didn't mention minimum wage thst was me.

So as far as I am concerned the increase say over the last 18 month has already done the job, in addition same worker wanted to see GP appointment was 4 weeks I wonder who the extra visitors to his practice might have come from.

I think that's more down to the lack of new gps personally. Funnily enough we're after doctors from the eu to fill the gaps..

Yep he had a mountain of money now he is in a mole hill think he is still digging

No offence to your friend but relying on overtime as a regular source of income is quite foolish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back