Filter Kits

Lee Foundation Kit
Hitech NDG hard set (0.3, 0.6, 0.9)
Hitech ND set (0.3, 0.6, 0.9)

These are what I would consider to be the bear bones - others will say not to bother with a holder but only hold the filter against the lens. This to me introduces an unsuitable risk of shake - most people use a remote release for a reason!

The Hi-Tec filters would go in the Lee holder? What size is best for a Tokina 12-24 i've just bought?

Most of my lenses are 77mm. Can someone please link me to the items I'd need to get a holder, a 10-stop (ish) ND and a polarising filter? I'm wondering how much it'd cost to 'upgrade' to a proper filter system.

Most of my lenses are 77mm. Can someone please link me to the items I'd need to get a holder, a 10-stop (ish) ND and a polarising filter? I'm wondering how much it'd cost to 'upgrade' to a proper filter system.

A 10 stop filter is better being screw in to reduce the risk of light leakage rather than a slot in.

If you wait a couple of weeks i'll have one going spare, a screw in BW.

Ok last question before I order, think I've decided on a Lee Holder and Hitech filters but a couple of wee queries.
Firstly just to confirm that for a Sigma 10-20 I'm going to need 100mm filters not 85mm?
Also am I better off with Hard or Soft Grads?

Also for the Lee adaptor ring I know I need 77mm for the 10-20 but do I want normal or wide angle?

Chris

Yes you'll need the 100mm filters.

Hard or Soft really depends on what your going to shoot......Hard is best for seascapes as the horizon is nice and straight..........Soft is better for landscapes as you usually have hills and trees on the horizon.

You need the wide angle adapter.

A word on the Hitech Filters, I have a full set and have noticed that if you stack them up you start to introduce magenta colour casts in your photos. But if you're just using one at a time then they are great for the money.

Simon

Ok last question before I order, think I've decided on a Lee Holder and Hitech filters but a couple of wee queries.
Firstly just to confirm that for a Sigma 10-20 I'm going to need 100mm filters not 85mm?
Also am I better off with Hard or Soft Grads?

Also for the Lee adaptor ring I know I need 77mm for the 10-20 but do I want normal or wide angle?

Chris

I used the 85mm filters with my old 10-20mm and it was fine - no vignetting at all. Although I used the narrow cokin filter holder which only lets you use a single filter in it.

Yes you'll need the 100mm filters.

Hard or Soft really depends on what your going to shoot......Hard is best for seascapes as the horizon is nice and straight..........Soft is better for landscapes as you usually have hills and trees on the horizon.

You need the wide angle adapter.

A word on the Hitech Filters, I have a full set and have noticed that if you stack them up you start to introduce magenta colour casts in your photos. But if you're just using one at a time then they are great for the money.

Simon

Cheers mate, thats helped a lot, I think I will go for soft grads first and then buy the hard ones as I live next to the sea so would like to give that a try too, and maybe some ND's for blurring waterfalls, etc.

I know the Hitech filters are a bit of a compromise, not as much cast as Cokin, excellent quality but not quite Lee but also a helluvalot cheaper!

I used the 85mm filters with my old 10-20mm and it was fine - no vignetting at all. Although I used the narrow cokin filter holder which only lets you use a single filter in it.

To be honest I'm not sure I need more than one filter but I'd like the option, Formatt confirmed that even with the wide angle holder I would get vignetting on my 10-20 so Lee it is, just need to decide which holder/starter kit I want to get now.

Cheers mate, thats helped a lot, I think I will go for soft grads first and then buy the hard ones as I live next to the sea so would like to give that a try too, and maybe some ND's for blurring waterfalls, etc.!

I don't know exactly what the hitech ND grads are like, but if they are similar to LEE ones, I don't think you will find the soft grads all that usefull, especially using a crop sensor camera.

I don't know exactly what the hitech ND grads are like, but if they are similar to LEE ones, I don't think you will find the soft grads all that usefull, especially using a crop sensor camera.

Why wouldn't they be useful? Sorry new to all this :shrug:

I've come across the David Noton filter kit which is made up of the following:
Each filter kit comproses:
-0.9ND grad (hard)
-0.6ND grad (hard)
-0.6ND grad (soft)
-0.9ND ProGlass Standard
-2 slot filter holder
-filter wrap
-adaptor ring of your choice (67mm, 72mm, 77mm, 82mm)
-triple filter carrying pouch
-cleaning cloth

Now I'm not suggesting I would buy that as £300+ is a bit dear but in terms of those ND Grads and the ND 0.9 is that a good range of filters to have?

When I first got my filters I bought a set of 3 Hitech's 0.3, 0.6 and a 0.9. After using them for the last 6-8 months I can honestly say that I can't remeber the last time I ever used my 0.3 or 0.6 by themselves, I have nearly always used the 0.9. I have use the 0.3 or 0.6 when stacking along with the 0.9, but when you do this with the Hitechs you can get quite a bit of magenta colour cast, hence the reason I'm now moving over to Lee. The first two filters I bought from them are a 0.9 hard and a 0.9 soft.

Simon

When I first got my filters I bought a set of 3 Hitech's 0.3, 0.6 and a 0.9. After using them for the last 6-8 months I can honestly say that I can't remeber the last time I ever used my 0.3 or 0.6 by themselves, I have nearly always used the 0.9. I have use the 0.3 or 0.6 when stacking along with the 0.9, but when you do this with the Hitechs you can get quite a bit of magenta colour cast, hence the reason I'm now moving over to Lee. The first two filters I bought from them are a 0.9 hard and a 0.9 soft.

Simon

Thanks Simon, I have to say I am sorely tempted by buying the Norton Lee Kit, even at the price its very tempting as I can't see that I'd need to buy anymore in the short term.

what i've got

foundation kit
wide angle 77m adapotor
Hitech 1.2, 3.0 ND, 0.6 + 0.9 Hard + 0.6 + 0.9 Soft ND Grads

I can honestly say that I can't remeber the last time I ever used my 0.3 or 0.6

Personally, I use the .3 and .6 more than the .9

I find the 3 stop (.9) often is just too strong and whilst you'll get dramatic skies, they're not exactly true.

So, where is the best place to buy Lee kits from, for those too lazy to google ;)

DB

Cheers folks, just trying to get an idea of what to buy, I'd like to buy as good quality stuff as I can get and was attracted to the David Noton kit as it seems very good value, been reading the feature on ND Filters in AP this month which suggests that the Formatt Filters have a significant cast, is this the case?
Might just go for the Noton Kit and see where I go from there,

do you guys reccomend Lee resin or glass ND filters?

do you guys reccomend Lee resin or glass ND filters?

Kaben,

From what I've read I think the consensus is that glass filters are a bit better but also a lot dearer!

Quick query I think I've sourced a Lee Filter, 3 soft Lee Grads and a Heliopan 105mm CPL, but I need to buy a lens adaptor.
For my Sigma 10-20 should I buy the normal 77mm adaptor or wide angle 77mm adaptor?

Also should a normal thickness Heliopan CPL avoid vignetting on the 10-20?

Can only comment on full frame, canon, and my 17-40, but...

I get major vignetting with the Lee holder, front ring and Heliopan polarizer. Slimming the Lee holder down to just one slot has solved the problem, but that's does limit you to using just one filter at a time.

FYI, my Heliopan is... Heliopan SLIM Circular Polarising Filter £145.20

Got the opportunity of a used Lee Filter Kit which consists of the following:

Lee 2 Slot Holder with 105mm ring
0.3,0.6,0.9 Lee Soft ND Grads
Lee Filter Pouch (Holds 10)
Heliopan 105mm Circular Polarizer

At £200 is that a good deal?
I guess I'm wondering if its worth paying that for the Lee Soft Grads rather than buying new Hitech Filters as was my original plan??
I am aware that the Polarizer and Lee Filters themselves new are very expensive!

That is a bloody good buy, when I brought my lee filters and 105mm cpl B&W not heliopan they set me back nearly 600 with holders and a couple of adapters. I have the soft grads and not the hards, the discussion I had when I got mine went along the lines of softs can be used more creatively than hards, with softs you can do what you can with hards but the same is not true the other way round with out it being noticable.

That was a bloody good buy, when I brought my lee filters and 105mm cpl B&W not heliopan they set me back nearly 600 with holders and a couple of adapters.

Well not bought it yet but about to!, the Heliopan CPL is known to be quite heavy with the brass ring, is this an issue?

Well not bought it yet but about to!, the Heliopan CPL is known to be quite heavy with the brass ring, is this an issue?

I have just weighed my B&W and it comes in at about 5.5ozs and I have not found it a problem at all.

I have just weighed my B&W and it comes in at about 5.5ozs and I have not found it a problem at all.

Cheers mate, I guess I'm just weighing up whether its worth the extra for the Lee filters over the Hitech, although if I buy new Hitech stuff its going to cost around the same,

Cheers Simon!
Also should a normal thickness Heliopan CPL avoid vignetting on the 10-20?
Chris, it looks we are in the same situation (I had opened this post but not read until now!)
About the CPL on a wideangle, what I found in another forum:
"As for a CPL, I wouldn't bother with one for the 12-24. For a CPL to work properly it needs to be at 90 degrees to the light source (the Sun usually). At 12mm you will have an angle of view greater than 90 degrees so the effects of a CPL will never be even across the frame and your skies will have different colours on one side compared to the other. The only filters I ever use on the 12-24 are ND Grads (which are very useful!), although I have a couple of smaller screw-in CPLs for my longer lenses."
"Polarisers are very tricky to use with ultra-wide lenses because the polarisation of light in the sky is not even. Bands of different gegrees of polarisation become visible and it's not a pleasant effect.
The natural vignetting that occurs with lenses as wide as the 12-24mm can be enough to darken skies slightly anyway, so maybe you can save the cost of that filter after all. "
Is it worth to buy one?

Back