Filter Kits

I'm a bit conflicted on the CPL to be honest, the kit I've been offered would be a cracking deal but part of be thinks I could spend the same money and get a full kit of a Lee Holder, Hitech Soft Grads, Hitech Hard Grads and some Hitech ND Filters.
But its not just my 10-20 I intend to use the filter kit for my Sigma 17-70 and also my Minolta 28-105, still a bit conflicted really as I've heard the Hitech Filter holder is also excellent, but its not really any cheaper than the Lee Kit.

Cheers mate, I guess I'm just weighing up whether its worth the extra for the Lee filters over the Hitech, although if I buy new Hitech stuff its going to cost around the same,
I'm evaluating same thing, because the difference for the Lee and Z-pro holder is not a lot, if the difference between Hitech and Lee filters was reasonable...

What is the use of the Push on filter holder
. or simply buy the foundation kit?

The key to save money is to buy kits instead of single filters

I'm evaluating same thing, because the difference for the Lee and Z-pro holder is not a lot, if the difference between Hitech and Lee filters was reasonable...

What is the use of the Push on filter holder
. or simply buy the foundation kit?

The key to save money is to buy kits instead of single filters

I've been thinking the kits do indeed save money, before I was offered Lee stuff used I was thinking about buying the David Noton filter kit
http://www.davidnoton.com/acatalog/Filter_Kits.html

As you get a lot for it, although I think for £200 the kit I've been offered is much better.

Actually I don't know if it is that good (you have to add 15% VAT and will you use everything? what is the -0.9ND ProGlass Standard).

ANyway, did you note that all shops are not taking orders on Lee filters "due to production problems at Lee Filters, we are currently experiencing delays of at least 1 month. If you would like to proceed, we will process your order and keep you informed of expected delivery dates. These orders will be despatched on a first come first served basis."
That is not a good news!

What about the push on filter holder vs the foundation kit?

Cheers

Yeah I have seen widespread supply problems on a lot of the Lee Kit.
A 0.9ND Proglass filter is a glass ND filter, they are meant to be brilliant,around £90 separately.
Yeah I guess your right not sure I would use it all, I'm not 100% certain of the differences between the push on filter and standard one, I'm guessing the push on may be better for wide angle lenses.

I priced a full kit at Formatt of:

Aluminium Wide Angle Kit
77mm Wide Angle Adaptor
Grad Kit (0.3, 0.6, 0.9) Soft Grads
Grad Kit (0.3, 0.6, 0.9) Hard Grads
Neutral Density Kit (0.3, 0.6, 0.9)

£280.39!!

Actually I don't know if it is that good (you have to add 15% VAT and will you use everything? what is the -0.9ND ProGlass Standard).

ANyway, did you note that all shops are not taking orders on Lee filters "due to production problems at Lee Filters, we are currently experiencing delays of at least 1 month. If you would like to proceed, we will process your order and keep you informed of expected delivery dates. These orders will be despatched on a first come first served basis."
That is not a good news!

What about the push on filter holder vs the foundation kit?

Cheers

That depends on if they have them in stock. I already have my filters but. A quick question, from tour posts you seem to be anti Lee, if you are may I ask why?

Chris, at the end of the day buy what you are happy to spend on them, if you feel the hitech filters are a better buy then buy them, at the end of the day it is your money. I look forward to seeing the results you get no matter which way you decide to go.

quite a lot of money! the value of another lens! maybe you could spend less renouncing to some hard and soft. We should know how often people use them, also considering that you can use multiple Lee filters without any casting problem. Is 0.3 equal to one stop?
On the other hand, buying a kit you save a lot instead of buying one 0.6 ND (how often do you shot falls?) for example now, and th other 2 later.

This seems cheaper.

Will the unavailabilty be solved? :-(

That depends on if they have them in stock. I already have my filters but. A quick question, from tour posts you seem to be anti Lee, if you are may I ask why?

Do u mean it is a common problem?
I'm not anti Lee...yesterday I was going to buy a Cokin P system, then a Cokin Z plus Hitech filters, then a Lee holder plus Hitech filters, now probably all Lee!!!

Do u mean it is a common problem?
I'm not anti Lee...yesterday I was going to buy a Cokin P system, then a Cokin Z plus Hitech filters, then a Lee holder plus Hitech filters, now probably all Lee!!!

No, what I meant was the delay is only a problem if where you are buying them had to order them for you. The only reason I asked about being anti lee was the reply saying about the delay the way I read it was having a bit of a dig at the lee system, just goes to show Reading things it is a lot easier to misinterpret (sp) than when speaking to someone.

No, what I meant was the delay is only a problem if where you are buying them had to order them for you. The only reason I asked about being anti lee was the reply saying about the delay the way I read it was having a bit of a dig at the lee system, just goes to show Reading things it is a lot easier to misinterpret (sp) than when speaking to someone.

no probs, only sad because of these delays!

Can I just ask what has more effect on an image, the ND Grads or Grad filter or a CPL?
And I would add, which graduation are commonly used among:

Can I just ask what has more effect on an image, the ND Grads or Grad filter or a CPL?

And I would add, which graduation are commonly used among:

Depends on what the lighting is like.
A cpl will also reduce the light by 2 to 3 stops so can be used like an nd .

To be honest I'm not sure I need more than one filter but I'd like the option, Formatt confirmed that even with the wide angle holder I would get vignetting on my 10-20 so Lee it is, just need to decide which holder/starter kit I want to get now.

Thats a load of bull, i have the Sigma 10-20mm and i use the Hitech 85mm filters with a wide angle holder with no problems at all, only when you use a non wide angle holder will you get the holder in view.

Wouldn`t go and buy Lee filters starting out unless you have money to burn. Still its your money.

Thats a load of bull, i have the Sigma 10-20mm and i use the Hitech 85mm filters with a wide angle holder with no problems at all, only when you use a non wide angle holder will you get the holder in view.

Wouldn`t go and buy Lee filters starting out unless you have money to burn. Still its your money.

Well that changes things, I specifically asked Formatt if it would be ok on the 10-20 and they said no, I'd rather save the money and get a wider range of filters to be honest as I don't see the Lee's being a huge amount better unless I bought the glass ones.

Thanks mate!!!!!!!!!!!

Right to simplify things,

Sigma 10-20mm, 85mm filters by Hitech.

Wide Angle Holder = 1 filter only = Landscape Mode: Fine Portrait Mode: Fine.
Normal Cokin P Holder = 3 filters = Landscape Mode 10mm holder visable, 12mm holder visable, 14mm Fine, Potrait Mode: Fine.

So you`ll only have problems with a normal holder when below 14mm in landscape mode.
For what its worth and you really want to use a 2nd filter when using your wide angle holder just attach another filter using blue tack it saves money!

I got 0.3, 0.6, 0.9 soft and 0.3, 0.6, 0.9 hard grad sets delivered for £73 and another tip buy your Cokin p holders from ebay for £3 each and the 2nd one cut it using a hacksaw blade in the 2nd slot and this is your wide angle holder!!

Right to simplify things,

Sigma 10-20mm, 85mm filters by Hitech.

Wide Angle Holder = 1 filter only = Landscape Mode: Fine Portrait Mode: Fine.
Normal Cokin P Holder = 3 filters = Landscape Mode 10mm holder visable, 12mm holder visable, 14mm Fine, Potrait Mode: Fine.

So you`ll only have problems with a normal holder when below 14mm in landscape mode.
For what its worth and you really want to use a 2nd filter when using your wide angle holder just attach another filter using blue tack it saves money!

I got 0.3, 0.6, 0.9 soft and 0.3, 0.6, 0.9 hard grad sets delivered for £73 and another tip buy your Cokin p holders from ebay for £3 each and the 2nd one cut it using a hacksaw blade in the 2nd slot and this is your wide angle holder!!

Thanks again mate, I take it if I opted for 100mm filters I would have more leeway and less vignetting?

Um yeah but only in the Landscape mode using more than 1 filter, which personally i`d rather use a bt of blue tack to attach a second filter then spend the extra money on 100mm.

I`m working on making a filter holder that will hold 2 filters without vignetting in landscape mode i think it can be done.

I'm fairly set on Hitech Filters its just the holder thats bothering me, should I go for what seems like the popular Lee Holder, a Hitech Holder or even a Cokin Z which seems to be able to be reversed?

I take it 2 85mm filters isn't possible in a holder without vignetting? i.e no blu tack!!

Those shots look amazing, exactly what I'm wanting to acheive! do you use a CPL?

I'm leaning toward a Hitech Kit to be honest, maybe with a Lee Foundation Kit, as while the Hitech Standard Holder comes with a 105mm ring the wide angle doesn't, I think I would prefer the flexibility of the Lee Kit and its almost the same price as the Hitech Kit.

With the 77mm Wide Angle Ring Adaptor I can't see that there is going to be much difference between a Hitech Wide Angle and the Lee Foundation Kit.

Well I bought via MBP Photographic:
Holder
77mm W.A Adaptor
2x Wallets
Filters 150x100mm Resin: Coral Stripe, Sky Blue 3, .3ND Grad H, .6ND Grad H, .9ND Grad H
Filters Square 100x100mm Polyester: Soft 1, Soft 2, Soft 3, Soft 4, Soft 5

For £159.99. Its used but in mint condition, will sell on the Soft Square Filters but not bad for Lee Stuff.

Looking now for a 105mm Polariser probably.

Will buy some Hitech ND Soft Grads and Probably Hitech ND Filters too.

I'm fairly set on Hitech Filters its just the holder thats bothering me, should I go for what seems like the popular Lee Holder, a Hitech Holder or even a Cokin Z which seems to be able to be reversed?

I take it 2 85mm filters isn't possible in a holder without vignetting? i.e no blu tack!!

Those shots look amazing, exactly what I'm wanting to acheive! do you use a CPL?

I'm leaning toward a Hitech Kit to be honest, maybe with a Lee Foundation Kit, as while the Hitech Standard Holder comes with a 105mm ring the wide angle doesn't, I think I would prefer the flexibility of the Lee Kit and its almost the same price as the Hitech Kit.

With the 77mm Wide Angle Ring Adaptor I can't see that there is going to be much difference between a Hitech Wide Angle and the Lee Foundation Kit.

No dont own a CPL dont feel the need for one to be honest.

Personally i wouldn`t have bought what you have, but its your money. Cant give anymore advice than i have, Cheers.

just out of curiousity what price did you get when pricing up? Cos i paid £73 for filters and £6 for holder and adaptor ring. Total £79.

Bear in mind thats 6 filters, hard and soft.

Hi chris, I 'm still looking around.

So basically these are the price:
Holders
-lee holder £44.79
-wide angle adaptor 77mm £30.99

-Formatt hitech holder MK4 (1, 2 or 3 slots) alluminium+ring £46
-wide angle adaptor 77mm £26.81
The 105mm front ring holder is designed to accommodate the screw in polariser, and various lens hoods.

Filters
As to the dimensions, this the Lee' answer to my email. "Grad filters have to be moved up and down to position the filter correctly in the image, therfore filters that need to be moved are 100 x 150mm, and filters that do not are 100 x 100mm."

Prices:
-Lee ND grad soft/hard set 100x150 £106,35
-HItech 100x150 £85
-HItech 100x100 £59

- HItech nd kit standard 100x100 £51,00
- HItech standard single £25
- HItech High dencity single £38
-Lee single couldn't find out

Any advices, someone mentioned casting effect using more HItech filters together,and slighlty easier to be scrached, while they are cheaper and lighter.
Any advices?

As to the Lee delay: "We have had some production problems, that are being resolved at the moment, but supply has been interupted, and we are currently trying to fulfil many back orders currently in our system.
I cannot tell you when the problem will be fully resolved exactly, because it is an ongoing situation, but we should be back to normal in one month.

Hi chris, I 'm still looking around.

So basically these are the price:
Holders
-lee holder £44.79
-wide angle adaptor 77mm £30.99

-Formatt hitech holder MK4 (1, 2 or 3 slots) alluminium+ring £46
-wide angle adaptor 77mm £26.81
The 105mm front ring holder is designed to accommodate the screw in polariser, and various lens hoods.

Filters
As to the dimensions, this the Lee' answer to my email. "Grad filters have to be moved up and down to position the filter correctly in the image, therfore filters that need to be moved are 100 x 150mm, and filters that do not are 100 x 100mm."

Prices:
-Lee ND grad soft/hard set 100x150 £106,35
-HItech 100x150 £85
-HItech 100x100 £59

- HItech nd kit standard 100x100 £51,00
- HItech standard single £25
- HItech High dencity single £38
-Lee single couldn't find out

Any advices, someone mentioned casting effect using more HItech filters together,and slighlty easier to be scrached, while they are cheaper and lighter.
Any advices?

As to the Lee delay: "We have had some production problems, that are being resolved at the moment, but supply has been interupted, and we are currently trying to fulfil many back orders currently in our system.
I cannot tell you when the problem will be fully resolved exactly, because it is an ongoing situation, but we should be back to normal in one month.

I know some folk have mentioned that even buying a holder seems a waste of money, personally I'd rather have the proper kit.

From what I've seen the Hitech Filter is pretty decent although its not much different in cost to the Lee and thats party why I've gone for that, although you would need to buy a 105mm ring for a polariser later on if you wanted with the Lee Holder, just depends if thats something your looking to buy now or later.

I think for the price of the Hitech Filters you probably can't go wrong and properly treated I can't see why they should scratch easier than any other, I certainly will be adding the Hitech Soft Grad Kit and ND Kit to my Lee Hard Grad Filters.

You've got a very good price. The grad nd are 100x150mm at the end!but I wonder if Hitech and Cokin sell them 100x100, they can be used in some way

As someone said "softs can be used more creatively than hards, with softs you can do what you can with hards but the same is not true the other way round with out it being noticable."

Is it better resin or poliester?
the fact that I can have Lee at least in one month is not that good

You've got a very good price. The grad nd are 100x150mm at the end!but I wonder if Hitech and Cokin sell them 100x100, they can be used in some way

As someone said "softs can be used more creatively than hards, with softs you can do what you can with hards but the same is not true the other way round with out it being noticable."

Is it better resin or poliester?
the fact that I can have Lee at least in one month is not that good

I think Resin is preferred, although glass is good but very expensive!

Well to get a set of Soft Grads and ND Filters from Formatt is going to be another £120.

Might see if i can get some secondhand around here, and maybe look out for a decent 105mm CPL as I think that filters can really help my photography more than anything else at the moment, maybe add a flash too later.

I would go for the Hitech Filters mate, and then if you really like them you can always sell them and buy Lee ones later.

that is true, mate, they have a very good ratio quality/price, the thing is, as you said, there is no huge difference in price between Cokin and Hitech and hitech and Lee.
MAybe I can get only the Lee holder

Be careful, according to those 2 comments I posted yesterday, maybe you can't benefit a lot from using CPL on a 10-20mm.even if I can't understand the optical reason.
but why Hitech put the 105 mm ring on the holder, rather than for teh hood and other accessory?
Anyway, for some reason a simple screw in CPL could be much easier to use!
The Scottish landscapes require a good filters equipment!

that is true, mate, they have a very good ratio quality/price, the thing is, as you said, there is no huge difference in price between Cokin and Hitech and hitech and Lee.
MAybe I can get only the Lee holder

Be careful, according to those 2 comments I posted yesterday, maybe you can't benefit a lot from using CPL on a 10-20mm.even if I can't understand the optical reason.
but why Hitech put the 105 mm ring on the holder, rather than for teh hood and other accessory?
Anyway, for some reason a simple screw in CPL could be much easier to use!
The Scottish landscapes require a good filters equipment!

I'm planning on using my kit for all my lenses so if I get a 105mm CPL I can use it on all, although I'm thinking I might prefer a 77mm one for my 10-20, although some people said there were issues adjusting it once the Lee Holder as on.

I'm planning on using my kit for all my lenses so if I get a 105mm CPL I can use it on all, although I'm thinking I might prefer a 77mm one for my 10-20, although some people said there were issues adjusting it once the Lee Holder as on.

I was Reading somewhere that the cpl should be the first filter the light goes through, I can not remember the exact reason, but I seem to remember that it was something to do with the way filters change the light waves and the cpl would not be as effective as the last filter.

I was Reading somewhere that the cpl should be the first filter the light goes through, I can not remember the exact reason, but I seem to remember that it was something to do with the way filters change the light waves and the cpl would not be as effective as the last filter.

Cheers Dave, I think I've read that somewhere too to be honest, I think I will be passing on the CPL just now anyway, I think that ND Grads and Grads will have more of an effect on my photography although if I see a deal I can't miss on a CPL I would grab it.

Hi Chris! How is going with the Lee kit?
I'm still waiting for it, and enjoying the circular polarizer B+W

Back