Fuji x100

Urgent question:
Using a 3rd party flash, or wireless trigger, is it possible to set 2nd curtain (or rear curtain) sync? Please/thanks.

I'm syncing this thing with triggers at f/2 1/1000s ISO 200 at 1/4 power on one canon 430 ex II, that is good!

Nice shot and great dynamic range....was there a lot of pp work done to it Dave?
Thanks
JohnyT

Thanks Johny. No, not a great deal, took it into Nik Silver Efex Pro and applied a preset then added some additional sharpening and clarity in Lightroom.

Smashing Dave, well seen and full of interest. Lovely range of tones.
Thanks Trevor :)

Again a nice shot Dave, can't fault these cameras for dynamic range can you, I'm really looking forward to getting out and about and using it.
Just bought a Toma half-case for the 100s for £30 seems like a well-made case with access to the battery compartment and availability to connect to a tripod, has a padded area to add a bit of grip too.
JohnyT

Urgent question:
Using a 3rd party flash, or wireless trigger, is it possible to set 2nd curtain (or rear curtain) sync? Please/thanks.

I'm syncing this thing with triggers at f/2 1/1000s ISO 200 at 1/4 power on one canon 430 ex II, that is good!

It has a leaf shutter, so 2nd curtain sync isn't possible. Sync speeds about match what I get

very impressed with silver efex !! brilliant results Dave - Been trying to find where I can purchase this software - anyidea anyone? seems not available in a lot of places including the large south american lady

very impressed with silver efex !! brilliant results Dave - Been trying to find where I can purchase this software - anyidea anyone? seems not available in a lot of places including the large south american lady

You can only get it as part of the Nik collection I believe. Well worth it though - great value for money with the other stuff you get with it: http://www.google.com/nikcollection/

Have a search on Google - there's a lot of discount codes about for it.

Last edited:
I created a custom dng profile to drop the temperature lower than what lightroom normally lets you. I did what I needed to to the image then exported to photoshop elements and downloaded the elements plus trial software so i could use the colour channel mixer to swop the red and blue over. Its not as bad as it sounds.

X100s - a couple of London street scenes

p918821317-4.jpg
p898715995-4.jpg
p769274025-4.jpg

Last edited:
Quick question to those of you that know the x100s well -I cannot get the flash option AUTO or auto red eye . I have checked that silent is not on. Any thoughts?

Hi John - Yep - thanks for that - checked it out auto flash ONLY works in P mode . There is a lot more to learn in this camera than I suspected !! Just like my Nikons but I have used them for so long now I can usually sort any foibles quickly.

Don't worry I've had mine 3 months now and I'm still learning things about it. I think it is mostly down to the fiddly menu system!

sorry folks - another question for you . Dare I use my Nikon 910 flash in the hot shoe of the 100s ? tried it setting camera flash as commander but nothing happened.

....so will a Nikon sb flashgun work on my fuji in manual mode? Personally I think Metz are missing a trick not making flashes for Fujis.
Thanks
JohnyT

Yes.

See my post #2730 on this page.

Works on the hotshoe, or off camera with a wireless trigger. Flash on manual only though.

Last edited:
By the way - my Yongnuo for Nikon flashes also work on hotshoe, with wireless triggers or as optical slaves triggered by the onboard flash.

I love this camera:D

Personally I think Metz are missing a trick not making flashes for Fujis.

Hi, According to the rep who called in to our studio a couple of weeks back from (Intro 2020) who are the importers of Metz, there is a very strong feeling in their camp that Metz will have something available for the Fuji cameras later this year.

We live in hope.

Thanks Simon ill give that a try - also George - thanks for the info - look forward to something from metz - good equipment !

By the way - my Yongnuo for Nikon flashes also work on hotshoe, with wireless triggers or as optical slaves triggered by the onboard flash.

I love this camera:D
Hi
I have a canon ttl cord arriving soon, but was wondering if a Nikon ttl cord would work ? ( I haven't one to try but it would be a useful addition seeing as I already have a Nikon camera).
Thanks
JohnyT

Yes - a Nikon cord works - I find it does get in the way a bit though. On the plus side, you retain the high sync speed. My Yongnuo triggers seem to max out at 1/250th.

Hi
I have a canon ttl cord arriving soon, but was wondering if a Nikon ttl cord would work ? ( I haven't one to try but it would be a useful addition seeing as I already have a Nikon camera).
Thanks
JohnyT

Hi John, The Nikon TTL cord will fire an external flash on the X100/X100s but not with any dedication. It will only fire it as if the flash was connected to a PC socket which as you know these cameras do not have one.

You would be able to use a flash in manual mode or if the flash has auto aperture settings ie set the same aperture on the flash as the camera and let the flash take care of the flash part of the exposure. The shutter will sync with flash at all speeds with these cameras.

Program settings on the camera would not give you very consistent results with a flash used in this way.

I would advise you to use full manual settings on the camera, or you could use aperture priority in which case the camera would take care of the ambient light part of the exposure and the flash would take care of the flash part of the exposure if the apertures on the camera and flash were set the same (synchro sunlight technique).

For fill in flash technique just set a wider aperture on the flash, ie if the camera aperture is set to say F8 then set the flash auto setting to say F5.6, or F4, or F2.8 etc etc depending on the conditions.

I'm not too familiar with Canon equipment but you'll probably find that the Canon cord will operate your flash in a similar way.

Hope this helps.,

George.

It has a leaf shutter, so 2nd curtain sync isn't possible. Sync speeds about match what I get

Okay, shutter delay or some similar function? It seems not. Actually I was pretty disappointed using my X100s for this event and I quickly switched back to the bulk of my 5dII even with its much slower sync speeds.

Have to stick with it - it's a different animal from Nikon or Canon and has a satisfaction of its own - must say it confounds me sometimes - looking down beside me right now and i'm thinking - what can I teach you tomorrow AND what can you teach me. Always take this out with my Nikon (either d600 or d7100) and more and more the small guy/gal gets the shot !!

Back