Gramps' bird thread

Cracking set again pal, liking the LTT & the water rail shot is great to see two at once don't think anyone has got that before at the location nicely done ;)

Thanks Joe, I was surprised to see so much of the Rail today, (let alone two!), as there was a huge rat attempting to catch it!
At one point, (as well as attacking two smaller rats), the big rat chased the Rail across the water and well into the reed bed to the left ... I don't know if there will be any Rail nests around there later in the year but if so the rats will need to be culled.

I really like the long tailed tit and the wren (LTTs being among my favourite birds but usually far too quick for me). I hope there are two water rails prancing the next time I'm there, though actually I'd be happy with one in good light.

I've seen two together twice now Janny but it's only momentary as they don't get on and it's a chase/fight as soon as they spot one another, hence the only image I've got.

A nice set again Gramps, like the colour and detail of the LTT and thats a lovely little Wren.

Once again roger fantastic images keep doing what you do and will keep watching a great photographer at work

Catching up on the set again, some fantatsic images. Love the LTT's, such flighty little buggers and realise how hard they're to photograph.

Catching up on the set again, some fantatsic images. Love the LTT's, such flighty little buggers and realise how hard they're to photograph.

They certainly are Simon, I lost count of how many times I looked through the viewfinder only to see them ... gone! :D

They certainly are Simon, I lost count of how many times I looked through the viewfinder only to see them ... gone! :D

Funny how things work out. 5 minutes after I typed the above post I went to the kitchen to check camera on tripod and there were 2 LTT's on a new perch we set up yesterday after the advice from Bill on my posting of LTT earleir in the week. Will process them over the weekend and if any good willl post on a new thread.

All those are absolutely lovely captures and colours and great compositions. I'm jealous of your Buzzard shot.

All those are absolutely lovely captures and colours and great compositions. I'm jealous of your Buzzard shot.

Thanks Robin, the buzzard is obviously very small in the frame but I thought that the background made it worthwhile :)

Thanks Robin, the buzzard is obviously very small in the frame but I thought that the background made it worthwhile :)

....Most definitely. The Buzzard is crystal clear and the atmosphere of its location well captured and portrayed.

Up a bit - Really like the 3 in a row - Dunnock, Robin and Gadwall (new to me)

Just got caught up,fantastic set of images.

Morning gramps - are all your shots with the Sigma 150 200mm?

wonderful selection of birds and environment

Morning gramps - are all your shots with the Sigma 150 200mm?

wonderful selection of birds and environment

I think he's using the Tamron 150-600mm now Bill. Hope you didn't mind me butting in Gramps.

Last edited:
I think he's using the Tamron 150-600mm now Bill. Hope you didn't mind me butting in Gramps.

Thanks - I read reports on how good the Tamron was for the money - quite a bit cheaper than the Sigma

https://photographylife.com/reviews/tamron-150-600mm-f5-6-3

then Tony Northrop suggested that the Sigma was "better" - but the that's the problem so many different opinion, but gramps's images certainly show the worth of the lens, looks a good one for birding

Cracking shot pal of the Male and Female Scaup coming into land hard to get the two together, You just got me thinking now I graphed something similar the other week and put it on my website and called it a tufted duck without thinking, just looking at it now its the same as yours!

Definitely no expert Joe but it certainly looked right in my book :)

Was this at Slimbridge? Did I see you? I'm still ploughing through mine thanks to a bit of a hold up on the M5 on the way home - took me nearly 2 hrs.
Beautiful snipe, by the way. That's one I didn't see.

Last edited:
Was this at Slimbridge? Did I see you? I'm still ploughing through mine thanks to a bit of a hold up on the M5 on the way home - took me nearly 2 hrs.
Beautiful snipe, by the way. That's one I didn't see.

It was at Slimbridge Jan, don't know if I saw you ... I was there from around 1pm-4pm in Willow, Holden Tower, Robbie Garnett and Martin Smith Hides. The Snipe took about 45 mins to break cover ... not as long as your trip home :(

@Jannyfox

Yep we might have passed each other somewhere. I was there at 0930 but got waylaid by a bacon butty then wandered down to the bottom end first. According to my exif between 1300 & 1445 where you were then I finished off at the South Lake. It was definitely too nice a day to be at work! I'll try to get a few shots up today.

Never been able to catch the Goldeneye displaying, well caught Gramps, nice Merganser too.

Never been able to catch the Goldeneye displaying, well caught Gramps, nice Merganser too.
Thanks Den, so cold a job to hold the camera steady :)

Thanks Den, so cold a job to hold the camera steady :)

That's your age - bugger all to do with the cold :D

Very nice images Roger, I love the Dunnock on a Bramble- one of my favorite birds

Les;)

Back