Haida 10 stop filters

That's a fair point....i never thought about it. Not a lot more money anyway. 52mm filter was £15.

And you can still use a lens hood (y)

A question for those of you who own the Haida filter. I am considering buying one, but at the same time I am also considering buying the 100mm Hitech filter kit. It may not be possible, but, how would I combine the Haida with the Hitech Kit if I wanted to use a graduated ND as well?

A question for those of you who own the Haida filter. I am considering buying one, but at the same time I am also considering buying the 100mm Hitech filter kit. It may not be possible, but, how would I combine the Haida with the Hitech Kit if I wanted to use a graduated ND as well?

In theory, it's easy - just screw in the Haida and then attach the Hitech into that.

In practise though, it's a right PITA. Very cumbersome to use and probably vignetting issues. You'd be better off either just using the Haida and doing the grad bit in post processing, or getting a slot-in ND.

In theory, it's easy - just screw in the Haida and then attach the Hitech into that.

In practise though, it's a right PITA. Very cumbersome to use and probably vignetting issues. You'd be better off either just using the Haida and doing the grad bit in post processing, or getting a slot-in ND.

(y)Yes, I was thinking that there might be a problem. But, as I havent actually seen a Haida up close and personal, I thought I would ask. Its just that a slot in 10 stop isnt cheap!:crying:

Here's my first attempt using the ten stopper, no post processing, but as you can see the colour hardly needs correcting
7855584018_ea4a8e4935_z.jpg

Here's my first attempt using the ten stopper, no post processing, but as you can see the colour hardly needs correcting

<snip>

:thinking: :eek:

Easy way of getting much closer to true colour is just to set 10000K on the white balance. That won't be a million miles out in daylight, but a custom white balance is best, or correction in post processing.

Got my Haida 10 stop filter last week but only got a chance to test it this week due to good weather.

Not perfect but i kinda got the jeez on how to use it properly next time.

Sample 1:

Daisy Nook - Ashton 01 by badboy250984, on Flickr

Sample 2:

Daisy Nook - Ashton 02 by badboy250984, on Flickr

Sample 3:

Daisy Nook - Ashton 04 by badboy250984, on Flickr

Sample 4:

Daisy Nook - Ashton 03 by badboy250984, on Flickr

I like sample 4 the best out of the 4 and the B&W on that photo make it more interesting then left with colour.

Last edited:
I've been using the haida slim and 100mm hitech filters with 77mm Wide Angle Holder for a week or so. At first i think i had a bit of vignetting @ 17mm FF.

I removed the 3rd filter slot and replaced the screws with the shorter ones provided. I like it this way as i rarely need to use 3 filters at once and it takes away those large protruding screws. This seems to solve any vignetting.

Add. Composing the photo:

Precompose, Focus, Switch to Man Focus (to be safe), Line up Grad, Take off Grad, Screw Haida in, Put Grad back on, block viewfinder (prevent light leak), Take Photo

I've found you can boost the screen gain with Magic Lantern (supp. Canon) which has helped with the process.

N.B Also watch out when attaching wide angle ring to the haida as its easy to over-tighten and can be hard to get off.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Sounds good, but surely you mean you have the normal 3 slot Cokin P type holder?

The wide angle holder only has 1 slot.

I'll get a cheap copy of the 3 slot and play around with that on my 24-105mm, cutting a slot away witha dremel (if required) to remove vignetting.

i got about 2 pages into this thread before opening ebay and buying the Haida 3.0......purchase complete i came back and continued reading, and see the post from CGUK reagrding the update ProII filter

just really wanted to say i cannot recommend CGUK enough! i got a prompt response to querying if i could change my order, and a step by step guide on what i needed to do to make sure i got my refund promptly and the postage on the new item was calculated correctly!

very helpful indeed!!! now the waiting game for the filter to arrive and go and play on the weekend!!!!

Last edited:
hope you will enjoy the 10 stop filter but also check to see how many stop the filter exactly is.

My Haida filter is actually 11 stop instead of 10 stop.

Also it takes abit of time to get use to the workflow when using the 10 stop.

I took a chance and bought a NISI 72mm 10 stop ND filter for£44 pounds,not had a chance to use it yet.

damm. just when im about to head off to florida this sunday i come across this thread grrrr any shops in the states that may sell this filter?

What a great thread. Does anyone have a copy of the reviews of these by chance (or on the web) was going to order a back issue but thought someone may have one.

Any more shots witht he Haida?

Don't know strictly whether its allowed to share a magazine page?

But i can sum up advanced photographers review of the uncoated version.

Features - 20/25 / marked down for uncoated
Handling - 25/25 / slimmest profile tested
Performance - 22/25 / v.good cons. uncoated
Value 25/25 - exceptional

Density - 10.3 stops
Cast - light purple / blue
IR Contamination - low
Flare Resistance - Good
Sharpness - Excellent
Front Thread - Yes
Mount Depth 3.6mm

what's surprising is the variation in density even within the top brands. B+W was rated at 10.6 stops/Heliopan 10.0 / Lee 10.6. Think the only aspect the haida was let down by was flare and that should be solved by the new multi coating. This was by no means a bad performance and its stated the difference isn't massive between uncoated and coated in tests. Also there's a slightly more pronounced cast but can be easily corrected in raw.

I'd have been happy to buy either coated or uncoated but went for the former for 10 quid extra.

Last edited:
Great thread, thanks everyone! Really good info for someone just wanting to experiment a bit in long exposures. Just ordered mine :)

If they were exactly the same price (which they almost are for my filter size) which would you choose between the Haida (Pro II) and the Hoya HMC Neutral Density ND400?

Am I better off going for the Hoya or is the Haida just as good as (or better)?

If they were exactly the same price (which they almost are for my filter size) which would you choose between the Haida (Pro II) and the Hoya HMC Neutral Density ND400?

Am I better off going for the Hoya or is the Haida just as good as (or better)?

Biggest difference is the Hoya is quite a bit lighter. I measured it at 8.6 stops while the Haida Mk2 is nearer 11. That's either an advantage or a disadvantage, depnding on how bright the light is and how long an exposure you want.

Thanks Richard, the only ND I have now is a 3 stop Kood screw on filter for waterfalls etc and for using a fast lens wide open in bright sunshine to bring the shutter speed down - never used an 8.5/10/11 stop filter before so will have to have a think about which is better/more useful to have - 8.6 or 11.

I have the latest version of these 10 stoppers and used it a few times the other day... Stunning performance. Really pleased with it will post some pictures later

Last edited:
How do you guys focus with this filter? Do you AF, then screw on the filter?

How do you guys focus with this filter? Do you AF, then screw on the filter?

Focus then put the filter on and switch the focus to manual so the camera does not try to re-focus and screw up the shot. Then take the photo.

Focus then put the filter on and switch the focus to manual so the camera does not try to re-focus and screw up the shot. Then take the photo.

Cheers DpM (y)

What WB do you use?

First day out with the filter today, mixed results.

#1. Need to sort my focus, do you focus to infinity?
#2. What WB to you guys use?
#3. Do you guys tend to only shoot in sunny conditions?
#4. Can you use this filter for night photography? Pretty sure you can't...

Last edited:
First try at LE. Pretty happy, room for improvement tho

8091727641_e2e7a90f8b_c.jpg

First day out with the filter today, mixed results.

#1. Need to sort my focus, do you focus to infinity?
#2. What WB to you guys use?
#3. Do you guys tend to only shoot in sunny conditions?
#4. Can you use this filter for night photography? Pretty sure you can't...

anyone?

Not easy questions Jimmy.

1) Focus on the subject, as normal.
2) Either custom white balance, or correct in post.
3) When and how you use it depends on the light level and how long an exposure you need.
4) Not a great idea at night.

Definately not at night as you can easily get a 30s exposure anyway. Add a 10 stopper to that and you'll be looking at an exposure of over 8 and a half hours

Not easy questions Jimmy.

1) Focus on the subject, as normal.
2) Either custom white balance, or correct in post.
3) When and how you use it depends on the light level and how long an exposure you need.
4) Not a great idea at night.

Definately not at night as you can easily get a 30s exposure anyway. Add a 10 stopper to that and you'll be looking at an exposure of over 8 and a half hours

Cheers guys, my main problem is sorting the focus out

Autofocus first, then switch to manual and screw on the filter

damianmkv said:
Autofocus first, then switch to manual and screw on the filter

Yeah I've been doing that so far...but what about if I was photography something like a pier what would you focus on? I use Center point focus 99% of the time.

jimmy83 said:
Yeah I've been doing that so far...but what about if I was photography something like a pier what would you focus on? I use Center point focus 99% of the time.

Manually focus to infinity..

TonyNI said:
Manually focus to infinity..

Cheers Tony. I think I've done that before with firework photography actually!

Back