Heat wave

The RAF had to stop flights into and from Brize Norton as a runway was melting in places.
The same happened at Luton airport yesterday not heard anything today though.

It's become very humid, too.
Its very sticky here as well. :(

We don’t know yet, summer is not over and I think another ‘heat event’ is forecast for August :(.
Just looked at the long range, it seems that the early part of August is more like normal temperatures.
But I couldn't see beyond that.

Quick reminder to get your wellies ready, heatwave = thunder and flash floods in the days after ;)

This is not good.

London Fire Brigade is now tackling ten separate blazes across the capital as a result of grass fires caused by the soaring temperatures.

The fire service is asking the public to take care as emergency services are facing "unprecedented challenges", according to LFB's assistant commissioner for operational resilience and control.

Patrick Goulbourne says while the brigade remains ready to respond to incidents, it wants to ensure its resources are available for people "who really need our help".

"If you see a fire smouldering, please don't hesitate to call us," he says.

"The sooner we know about a fire, the sooner we can bring it under control and prevent it from spreading further, reducing the need for us to mobilise additional resources."

While still rare, 40C is now a reality of British summers," says Dr Friederike Otto, senior lecturer in climate science at Imperial College London.

Rare - its happened once!!!

Over-reaction? Now not dismissing climate change, it is a one off event, temps for me are forecast to be 29c or below over next 2 weeks bar one day at 30. How is it a reality of our summers, it may not happen again for years!
On Sky news this morning:

"Chief meteorologist Paul Davies expects temperatures to ease from Wednesday but another heatwave could strike in August."

Except our then hottest years ever have all been this century.

It isn’t just us getting hot, and eating more ice creams, it is the damage to crops, and other things. This is serious, and we aren’t going to do anything about it.

It was possible to point to people who were smokers all their lives and live to 95, but that didn’t stop all the other smokers from dying.

It was the quote I thought strange - how can a one off event now be a reality of our summers!

Makes no sense - like me picking a winner at Newmarket and picking a winner will be a reality of the race meeting!!!

On Sky news this morning:

"Chief meteorologist Paul Davies expects temperatures to ease from Wednesday but another heatwave could strike in August."
It'll be worse in August unless we have a lot of rain before then.

I was just thinking about this as news of the latest drownings came accompanied by much advice about how to avoid tgem, thermal shock and so on, But do the people who have these accidents watch or read the news? And headlines on front pages in the red press seem mostly to dwell on ‘sun & sex’ stories and so on.
You could even have posted in WBMT. It must baffle a lot of people.

Re why the warnings aren't heeded. I assume because these days kids don't read newspapers, they're online for their news as I assume, most younger generations are.It's the older generations that buy newspapers. I suppose the Red Tops you mention would have online presence but, as you say,more concentrated on titilation and gossip-style reporting.

It happens each time we have hot weather and warnings about rivers and lakes are not heeded. At least 31 people have died in the water since this current spell of hot weather started including 9 nine drownings in the sea in the past 10 days. (a coast guard report) I think one cause is the unseen rip tides.

I took a look at articles on it in relation to what lurks beneath the surface and, as you say, one hazard is thermal shock from the very cold water which immobilises limbs. In reservoirs there's underwater machinery etc and pumps (along with pipework) causing strong underwater currents and steep banks. In lakes there are reeds,(swans feed on them) and again, very cold water. In rivers through cities and towns there are discarded bicycles,mopeds,scooters (stolen most probably) shopping trolleys..all sorts.In quarries I assume it has to be rocks and once again steep sides. Despite warnings there's a fad developing for 'wild swimming'.At least wild swimming doesn't include locations with man-made structures so not reservoirs.

Thinking about it, all I've heard are warnings not to swim in any of the above but I've never heard why other than 'It's dangerous' It doesn't look dangerous so people just go ahead and think the warnings aren't in relation to their bit of water. I think police go to schools before the summer holidays and maybe during hot spells like this and I assume they would outline the hazards.

Whilst doing checking I came across an incident of drowning from almost 12 months ago exactly at the spot I lost a friend who dived into the River Weaver at Frodsham. The word was that currents had sucked him under the bank.. in a 'scooped out' area. Us lads were about 12 at the time. My parents made it very clear to me that I wasn't to swim in the river because they knew lads did that by this swing bridge. (url below) It was here to the right of this bridge where my friend lost his life. I wasn't with him that day. Infact some older lads dived off the swing bridge. I suppose it's their types that win us wars. Fearless...some might say,reckless. https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/water-safety-review-talks-set-to-take-place-following-tragedies/

If anyone is familiar with the area over the bridge and left takes you to Runcorn 6 miles away and straight on to Halton and on to Warrington...11 miles.

We get our water from severn trent, and never heard of that?
If you don't have a meter, how would they know? And under what powers could they enforce it?
We don't use one, but since they put a new water main along the road a few years ago, I doubt if we would have the flow to run one.
Well Severn Trent publish this information regularly particularly during hot weather. In fact, you may not use a sprinkler at all if you do not have a meter which is one of the reason why we changed to a meter; also our water bills are now halved. They do have very strong powers and they would most likely know about an infringement because a neighbour reports it. During the drought of 1976 my neighbour had a leak from a cistern which was pouring down the outside wall of his house. His tenants (local students) repeatedly complained but he could not be bothered to do anything so they begged us to report him. I mentioned it to him again when I saw him but he seemed disinterested so my wife called Severn Trent who sent a man out to check. They put an envelope through his door which instructed him to have the repair done by Noon the next day (a Sunday) or he would receive a £1000 fine and his water would be cut off. He had little choice but to call out a plumber on a Sunday which was expensive. According to the Students he still received a fine because a statutory drought had been declared. We had no sympathy. Although this was a private house in a nice street the same guy just let the garden and property run down. Some years after we had moved on, I heard that because of so many complaints the Council bought the property under a compulsory purchase order so they could bring it back up to standard then resell.

Dave

Well Severn Trent publish this information regularly particularly during hot weather. In fact, you may not use a sprinkler at all if you do not have a meter which is one of the reason why we changed to a meter; also our water bills are now halved. They do have very strong powers and they would most likely know about an infringement because a neighbour reports it. During the drought of 1976 my neighbour had a leak from a cistern which was pouring down the outside wall of his house. His tenants (local students) repeatedly complained but he could not be bothered to do anything so they begged us to report him. I mentioned it to him again when I saw him but he seemed disinterested so my wife called Severn Trent who sent a man out to check. They put an envelope through his door which instructed him to have the repair done by Noon the next day (a Sunday) or he would receive a £1000 fine and his water would be cut off. He had little choice but to call out a plumber on a Sunday which was expensive. According to the Students he still received a fine because a statutory drought had been declared. We had no sympathy. Although this was a private house in a nice street the same guy just let the garden and property run down. Some years after we had moved on, I heard that because of so many complaints the Council bought the property under a compulsory purchase order so they could bring it back up to standard then resell.

Dave

Thanks, but that doesn't really answer anything :)

We have never been informed that we can not use a sprinkler unless we have a meter, and I wonder if such a condition would be enforceable. (We have nothing to use a sprinkler on, but they can't know that)

What very strong powers do they have? And under what laws/regulations/statutes?

We all know that hosepipe bans at certain times are enforceable :)

The person with the leak seems odd, but there are too many variables to comment

Still into the 30's here, since the sun is "off" it was time to water the Bonsai's
While I was out there I felt half a dozen rain spots on my back ....
And yet its supposed to be raining right now....

I guess that was it :D

Chris (the pink one!) posted a similar shot in the jokes thread so I'll put this one in here since it's quite appropriate...

61580-5e6bbf51-8295-4b88-807c-b29f354a64c6.jpeg

To follow up my last post where I said I couldn't access this, and this is not the best reference in the world, but the Mirror has a story, based on a scientific briefing today that says

"Experts have warned that Britain’s buildings and public spaces need to be completely redesigned to deal with regular heatwaves like the current scorcher.

A panel of scientists told a media briefing that “we are not built for 40C” but such high temperatures may become a feature of our summers."

and

Prof Hannah Cloke, natural hazards expert at Reading University, said: We’re going to hopefully see an end to this in a couple of days time but there is a remaining risk of going back up again in a week or so afterwards. That’s pretty concerning.”

Which is in keeping with what I thought Paul Davies was suggesting.

It seems to be difficult to find good references.

I keep a large jug of water in the fridge and have a glass full from it at the bedside overnight and last night it was a great relief to have a few sips.

Thanks, but that doesn't really answer anything :)

We have never been informed that we can not use a sprinkler unless we have a meter, and I wonder if such a condition would be enforceable. (We have nothing to use a sprinkler on, but they can't know that)

What very strong powers do they have? And under what laws/regulations/statutes?

We all know that hosepipe bans at certain times are enforceable :)

The person with the leak seems odd, but there are too many variables to comment
I have just checked Severn Trent code of Practice which states that they intend to Meter customers who wish to use a garden sprinkler or who have a swimming pool. This is why we moved to metering because we knew we needed to use a sprinkler on our vegetables though it actually saved a lot of money. Secondly they state that they have a statutory right of entry to properties though apart from an emergency they will give 24 hours notice. I do not know which law this is but I doubt whether they would publish this if it would not true. The person with the leak was odd and stupid.

Dave

I keep a large jug of water in the fridge and have a glass full from it at the bedside overnight and last night it was a great relief to have a few sips.
I freeze bottles of water and let them thaw out slowly, adding a touch of Lemon juice.

though it actually saved a lot of money.
Same here, it went from over £50 month reducing year on year, with rebates, till last year and now I pay around £13 month.

I have just checked Severn Trent code of Practice which states that they intend to Meter customers who wish to use a garden sprinkler or who have a swimming pool. This is why we moved to metering because we knew we needed to use a sprinkler on our vegetables though it actually saved a lot of money. Secondly they state that they have a statutory right of entry to properties though apart from an emergency they will give 24 hours notice. I do not know which law this is but I doubt whether they would publish this if it would not true. The person with the leak was odd and stupid.

Dave
OK, thanks, that is why we have not heard about it, as they intend to do so.

I would also guess that the person with the leak had received prior notification before being given that ultimatum.
Many organisations have a right to enter properties, but along similar lines as you give, ie with notice being given unless an emergency.

They also obviously intend to meter everybody, whether they choose to be metered or not, as they are spending millions installing smart meters so as they put it they "can detect leaks more quickly". Obviously BS as most of the leaks, and probably all the major leaks are in their network not on private residential properties.

They are hoping that the regulations will be changed so that consumers no longer have a choice, which will probably happen within the next couple of years, and they will be ready to cash in on it.
When that happens, the people already on a metered supply are likely to see quite an increase as metered prices will rise.

Although they have installed the smart meters, most people are still being billed as unmetered.

Glad to hear you have saved money, would I be right in guessing there are less than 4 people in the household?
We have four, and five when my one son comes home from Oxford for university holidays, and with the four it would be borderline if we saved or not.

Although it states "intend" on their code of practice. They sent us a letter which was firmer that that about 7-8 years ago which prompted us to look at the benefits of a meter. I recall they had (or you can find it elsewhere) a simple calculator which can show you probable bill with and without a meter. The current non-meter charges are still based on rateable value which is way out-of-date. My rateable value is fairly high anyway and likely to higher if it was reviewed. Once both children had moved on (leaving just my wife and I), it was clear that a meter would be a big saving. Teenagers use a lot of water, electricity and broadband capacity. Our bills dipped to less than half and have remained low. I do not have a smart meter for Gas/electricity.

Dave

We live in Edinburgh and it only got to about 30C - 31C over the last couple of days, but we've returned to the Scottish summer this morning. Cold and overcast ... :(

I recall they had (or you can find it elsewhere) a simple calculator which can show you probable bill with and without a meter.
Curiously when I first thought about having a water meter, ( they installed them here years ago, but you had to opt in)

I got onto live chat, (Anglia Water) and the lady there was most helpful, telling me what I had used in the past year, and what that equated to,
cost wise if I used the meter.
Even she greatly over estimated the costs ( as above).

Unless I’ve missed it, there’s been no ban on fires outdoors which would be a sensible thing.

A bit late to the party on this thread.
We were down in Essex/Hertfordshire at the time of the heatwave.
We had our niece's wedding near Colchester.
It was lovely sitting outside the pubs in the shade with a nice cold drink.
On the Tuesday, the hottest day, we were travelling from Harlow to Gargrave in Yorkshire.
Thank goodness for Air Con!!
The car was registering 37-40 degrees all the way.
When we reached our destination and opened the car doors, the heat was incredible but our legs were frozen due to the in-car Air Con temperatures :LOL: :LOL:

When we left Gargrave to come home, it was 13 degrees!!
What a difference in just a couple of days

Back