Homeless Holga: Formerly "Anyone fancy trying something daft ???"

cool - I've definitely got the chemicals for that still in good condition... part of me was hoping it was the colour TBH, as I'm not sure how much longer my C41 kit's gonna last :sulk:

Maybe Royal Fail will lose it again and give you a chance to refresh your stock!

Why doesn't 120 film come in pots? I thought Andy had thrown some sweets in but I was half way through chowing down on one and read 'Kodak' on the wrapper ;)

Excellent, I was getting worried. Looking forward to seeing what comes out.

Enjoy

Scanning Now...

Don't know why, but the films come out curlier than a curly thing that's been left in it's box all curled up for a long long time :(

Good job it's a Holga Project and we're not looking for exhibition quality A0 print's isn't it... :LOL:

probably due to the shake it up baby now experience arround the post office depots of devon.

I'm fairly sure our posties suffer from a peculiar form of word blindness where " Handle with care" translates as "please use as football"

Cool - I'd better test my tetenal C41 kit then, make sure it still works... Suppose that means I'm going to have to take my camera out and shoot something - hope I can remember how it works :LOL:

OK I have taken my pics. Trouble is I sort of forgot that the shutter wasn't timed in any way and that you have to press and release yourself... as a result the shots are probably going to be over exposed lol

Will forward on this week

Cheers

Sounds like the "manual Exposure" switch at the bottom of the camera (near the tripod mount) has been knocked... Could you check before posting to next person please ??

Received this morning, thanks Chris. Time to get shooting now! So is there something wrong with that switch at the bottom ?

I'd move it between B and N a few times in case something has got stuck, then put it onto N and hope for the best, tbh. Only real way to see for sure if it's working correctly is to dry-fire it with the film out, and look through from the back to see if the shutter opens and closes correctly. Try to not hold the shutter release in the down-position when firing the camera, just in case...

Ah the joys of Holga Uncertainty.... :shrug:

Not sure, it certainly was a press, hold, release affair on 'N' mode, which is the same as 'B' mode on any of my other cameras.

My friend has a Diana Holga and on 'N' mode it should clack the shutter at some fixed speed.

Yeah - N is the "normal" setting, where the shutter should open and close on the single press. B is definitely "Bulb" and is press to open, hold to keep open and release to close.

Details here - if we get it going, there may well be some mileage in taping the switch onto N as well. The camera's just going to be a ball of gaffa and broken plastic bits at the end of this journey - glad it's not mine anymore! :LOL:

Maybe whoever has the next Film-Change can have a good look at if/how it's working when it get's to them... Who's on-deck for that is it JohnMc ??

This is like watching paint dry :)

Looking at the spreadsheet TBY posted it looks like I'm next in line and typically I've just picked up a whole load of work and won't be able to shoot anything til after Easter. So it makes sense to leapfrog me and pass it on to the next in line, otherwise it will spend the next month sitting in Ealing sorting office. I would like to slot back in when I'm back though, please don't make me go to the back of the line :crying:

How about you and Sarah swap places ? that way we can keep John Mc in place as our "film change" person, and you get a couple of people's worth of delay before the camera arrives ??

How about you and Sarah swap places ? that way we can keep John Mc in place as our "film change" person, and you get a couple of people's worth of delay before the camera arrives ??

Sounds perfect, thanks Mark (y)

Well - if both parties are happy with it, it makes sense to me, the hardest bit of scheduling all this was making sure that our film-change people were 120-fluent - and as the camera's apparently getting more and more knackered as the journey continues, having someone who can patch up / bodge together the camera when the film is swapped is getting more critical it seems :LOL:

hi ho holga people - I've just found the lens cap. If TBY could pm me the address for whoever is the current custodian (or maybe the next in line given the erm 'speed' of our post) i'll post it on to reunite it with Helga

edit: Address recieved from TBY - sean should soon receive a lens cap through the post hopefully 'slightly' faster than helga got to crewe

Last edited:
Im done with the Holga now, not sure about how the shutter speed is mind you... think that switch at the bottom is nackered!

Im posting the camera tomorrow so best post the cap onto the next person! Which is Sarah?

Okay i'll send the lens cap to sarah instead - best laid plans of moose...

Im done with the Holga now, not sure about how the shutter speed is mind you... think that switch at the bottom is nackered!

Im posting the camera tomorrow so best post the cap onto the next person! Which is Sarah?

Just replied to your PM with my address Sean.
Hopefully Royal Mail will be gentle and she'll arrive safe & sound and still in one piece.

Okay i'll send the lens cap to sarah instead - best laid plans of moose...

PM on its way to you with my address Pete (y)

The sheet of paper with the list of participants is also on its way to you Sarah, I forgot to put it in the box!

No worries Sarah, take whatever time it takes to get the photo's you want to get... it's not as if it's been a particularly strict timetable up until now, is it :LOL: In a forum renowned for it's slackness (check the owning companies name if you don't get it!), well - F&C is the slow bit.

Mark...

Can you add my name to this thanks...

STEVIER

I think originally we had a waiting list for Helga's second tour, but to be honest what I've decided is that at the end of the tour, We're going to have a "one shot each" competition, and whoever gets the most votes gets the camera. At that point, any further travelling camera stuff is entirely down to the new owner to organise I reckon, so really, it's not for me to say what'll happen mate...

Thats assuming of course that helga hasnt reduced herself to a random assortment of plastic bits before then :LOL:

Thats assuming of course that helga hasnt reduced herself to a random assortment of plastic bits before then :LOL:

There is that of course... poor old dear isn't bearing up too well to the vagaries of the general post office, is she :shake:

I'll give her an aviation engineering overhaul when [if?] she gets to me. I've got all manner of glues, tapes, lubricants, Lego etc that we use to keep the planes flying. Not sure she'd take too well to the hammers we have to use though.

Problem with working on the camera, Michael - is that it pretty much can only really be done at the end of a roll - unless you're pretty adept at unloading 120 mid-roll, then rewinding and re-loading and returning to the same frame number of course... I'm not bad at working in a darkroom / darkbag, but I'd sooner not risk other peoples shots unless I KNEW the camera was completely Fugazi... Though if anyone at a film changeover point wants to give the camera a bit of a service/tuneup then that would be cool and the gang!

Oh - and there's no need to employ the Edinburgh Socket Set - Holgas pretty much clip together apart from a couple of judiciously placed cross-head screws...

(y) Right, I'm done and ready to pass over to John.

I'm kind of hoping that everything's still OK with Helga's innards though. The film was very difficult to wind on - I didn't have to "force" it, but it took a lot more effort than I remember from the last time I used a film camera :eek:
I'm hoping that's normal for her rather than something starting to get jammed inside.

Back