How to begin running?

squizza

Eeyore
Edit My Images
Yes
NO sarcastic answers please! :D

But how to I start running on a regualr basis. Are there particular trainers, methods etc? After seeing the marathon, I realised it is something I'd love to do.

Thanks!

Sarah

Nip to the shops in your trainers and see how you like it.........

Try this forum, its brilliant http://www.runnersforum.co.uk/

In particular this advice: Link

Interval training is definitely best, walk for a few mins, light running, walk, etc. Dont push yourself too much at the first or you will injure yourself :)

get something like a couch - 5k plan. You need to start gently and build up, and they'll talk you through each day's training. You can also get them for ipods, so they'll tell you when to run/when to walk while you build up

A

ive just started running as i need to lose some weight, and trainer wise i wear asics as there mega comfy and i dont get blisters, go to your local sports world and try some on you'll be surprised at whats comfy.
as others have said start slowly and build up or you WILL injure yourself, listen to some music and jog for 2 minutes then walk for 5 and build it up from there

Last edited:
Can you get to a beach, canal or river? I did this and found beach running really enjoyable, easy ... and flat too.! Great way to start :cool:

Jeez, I'm losing the plot :thinking: absolutely no sarcasm, wind up etc. in this post :D

I started in Jan, used a Couch to 5k app for the iphone. Started out with 1min run and 1 min walk repeat 8 times. After four months i am now up to 6k ish or an hours running three times a week. Have lost nearly 21lb since i started

ive just started running as i need to lose some weight, and trainer wise i wear asics as there mega comfy and i dont get blisters, go to your local sports world and try some on you'll be surprised at whats comfy.
as others have said start slowly and build up or you WILL injure yourself, listen to some music and jog for 2 minutes then walk for 5 and build it up from there

I wouldn't go to the local Sports World or similar. I'd find a local running shop where they can perform the Gait Analysis to see if you pronate whilst running. This will save you a lot of pain by getting the right pair of trainers for YOUR FEET rather than some nikes off the shelf. I do agree with the comment about Asics though. Very comfortable.

Sarah, This looks like a good one in Suffolk - Sweatshop - Ransomes Europark, Ipswich

Be very careful running on hard surfaces. I took up running many years ago and, despite using very good running shoes with sorbothane shock stoppers, I put my back out due to the impact on the ground. It took over 9 months to put right and I was told that I was the wrong build for running and if I wanted to run it should only be on soft ground but preferably take up another form of exercise. At the time I was super fit with a 32" waist and weighing 19 1/2 stone.

Mike

NO sarcastic answers please! :D

But how to I start running on a regualr basis. Are there particular trainers, methods etc? After seeing the marathon, I realised it is something I'd love to do.

Thanks!

Sarah

Find a Run And Become shop or Runners Need.

They video you on a treadmill for about 30 seconds to determine your running style and gait. They then supply you with the correct trainers.
I went and even though I'm a size 11, my shoes are 12.5... Amazingly comfortable too!

A few things to consider, where on what ground to run on, what are your targets, basic starting fitness level.

Id generally avoid online training plans there not really specific enough to the individual, we're all different.

Will you be running up a gym? local running club?

Running shoes always good to from a running shop that see how you move.

Every year I say the same but I think 2011 may be my year for trying.

I have just completed the Derby 10k and really enjoyed it.

If you are wanting to register for the London Marathon then registration for 2011 opens online on the 4th of May.

As far as I can see registration is closed when it reaches 125000 and then you are drawn from a hat and told in October if you have a place. This year about 37000 got places.

If you want to run for charity and pledge to collect sponsorship (normally about £2000) then you can get a place that way.

Just do a search online for London Marathon.

good luck with both the race and getting a place.

Stringy

You're going to be busy...

new boyfriend
new bike
new running shoes

Does the camera get a look in???

I wouldn't go to the local Sports World or similar. I'd find a local running shop where they can perform the Gait Analysis to see if you pronate whilst running. This will save you a lot of pain by getting the right pair of trainers for YOUR FEET rather than some nikes off the shelf. I do agree with the comment about Asics though. Very comfortable.

Sarah, This looks like a good one in Suffolk - Sweatshop - Ransomes Europark, Ipswich

Totally agree, get yourself to a proper running shop and get fitted out for shoes that suit you.

Take it slowly, as also mentioned, find a decent plan. I have gotten a few mates into running now using:

http://www.bupa.co.uk/running/training/training-programmes/beginner-5km/

Running at first is hard work, once you get over 30-35 min+ runs is when it starts to get fun. You learn your pace and start to be able to enjoy what is going on around you. Next thing you know, best bit of the week is the Friday morning 2 hour run :)

You're going to be busy...

new boyfriend
new bike
new running shoes

Does the camera get a look in???

:D Its actually the photography which has got all my time - my uni work and the tw exhibitions I'm in - one in Free Range, London, and one in the uni grounds. The rest have to fit in around it.

I went to the gym tonight - got told that I looked tired! :LOL:

As already noted you will need to start slowly. There is no use in trying to run a huge distance at first as it will put you off.

Breathing is so important. When you just start you are going to put you lungs through something that they may not have done since running around in the school playground. I will always spend 5 minutes taking as deeper breath in and out as possible. This helps to expand the lungs ready for your increased breathing. Maybe do this while having a little pre run stretch.

The mental part of running is also hard at first. If you get a stitch then concentrate on your breathing rhythm and usually it will pass. If you have to stop keep walking and start jogging as soon as possible again.

One thing that is really good give yourself some idea what distance you are doing is this,

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

Simple tool based on google maps that will plot a route that you decide and give you a distance.

One last thing. If you do plan a route. At first set a small route that you can do a couple of laps of. Then if it gets too much you can always stop after a lap or two and you have not got to walk too far home!

agreed, the only reason i went to sports world was because id had the gait test done and new what to go for, sports world just seem cheaper for the trainers to me.
also get yourself a sports bra sorted as the support really does help.

Back