Inspire me with your ideas, I want to take some photos

Sounds like your the sort of person large format was invented for :).

I'd try photographing fruit and veg. Look at what Edward Weston managed with peppers. The textures from a cabbage or half cabbage etc. etc can be amazing. Try an exercise to make it look like anything but what it is by lighting and viewpoint. Experiment with viewpoints and angles to conceal rather than reveal the subject matter.

I think this should all be possible with your equipment.

And get well soon.

Agreed.

But you will have to get peppers from an organic shop or Asian supermarket as the ones in mainstream shops are all too regular in shape.

Just had a flash of inspiration! Old film cameras are dirt cheap, often only a couple of quid in charity shops. By reputation, you enjoy fiddling under the hood so why not pick up a “non runner” and dismantle it. Maybe even put it back together! Document the process. What may start as simply record shots could develop into something more when Mr Mojo comes back.

I know from experience that just getting out and about helps enormously, even without a camera in hand. I was lucky enough to have a pair of visitors a month or so after my release from hospital and although my photos from that period were sub snaps, just being out and about was great! Apart from anything else, being out gave me something new to think about rather than dwelling on what might have happened.

I'm planning on having a crack of the smoke stuff today, and then a couple of other things I want to try.

Stewart from LensesForHire has kindly loaned me an MP-65 for a few days which I'm gonna have alot of fun with too :D

I've actually also been watching David DuChemin's video's "Vision Driven Photography", and I can feel some of my enthusiasm coming back.

Thanks everyone, I knew I could turn to you lot for support and ideas, you're awesome :)

(creeping mode) as are you Marcel!

Oooh I knew there was a reason I liked you :D

Well I've set up the living room. Just need a couple more things now. Something to raise the background, and some bloody incense sticks.
We had some a while ago, but my wife doesn't know where they've gone. Just my bloomin luck :p

I know my wife has a few (hundred! - she sells them at her studio.)

Oooh I knew there was a reason I liked you :D

Well I've set up the living room. Just need a couple more things now. Something to raise the background, and some bloody incense sticks.
We had some a while ago, but my wife doesn't know where they've gone. Just my bloomin luck :p
Clothes Maiden and some pegs, if you want some A4 black paper, I have plenty here!

Yup, got the background almost sorted. One of my neighbours may be coming to the rescue for some incense sticks!
If I don't get some of this done before 7 o clock (Got the kids tea to make too), it's gonna have to be after the derby

Yup, got the background almost sorted. One of my neighbours may be coming to the rescue for some incense sticks!
If I don't get some of this done before 7 o clock (Got the kids tea to make too), it's gonna have to be after the derby
Oh hell, more shouting from upstairs! :arghh:

' requested thread could not be found' ooops

Strange. Works for me!
It's in the creative forum :)

My mojo has been severely lacking for a while. Between having a full time job, 2 kids, not alot of sleep and also the time that the forum takes....I've not taken any photos for aaaages.

As it turns out I've been handed somewhat of a lucky break.
Last Monday I went to A&E after not feeling well, where they think I may have had a TIA/mini stroke. I'm currently on the sick now while I await a CT scan and other tests.

So I want to use this week to take some photos. I look outside, I see the glorious weather and Im invigorated to get out there and take some landscapes. Maybe the seaside, maybe some lovely countryside.
But I'm not allowed to drive :(

So I need to tackle something at home. Something that's fun, but pretty easy to do. Ease me back into getting my mojo. I'm not allowed to exert myself either (Wife's words not mine!).

Anyone have any ideas I can turn my hand to?

I Had that same scenario some 3 years ago, but they did the CT scan the next day but found no damage, but were still sure it was a TIA.
The no driving bit soon passed and apart from a lot of pills nothing has changed. ( simvastatin and Asasantin retard)
Stlll It means you can have a short break even if it is enforced.
Good luck with the project. Love the Rose.

Did a few more smoke shots before, but the room was full of people coming in and out disturbing the air so couldn't get anything I thought was decent.
I've also taken delivery of a Canon MP65 Macro lens for a couple of days courtesy of Stuart at LensesForHire (y)

Had a very quick dabble and by 'eck she's a feisty beast to tame :D
My wife's nipping to Asda tonight so I've asked her to get some more food colouring, some oil(food type), bubble making tube things, some more incense sticks and a couple of other things :D

Should be fun!

You don't need expensive macro lenses for macro work. I got some cheap (approx eight pounds) close-up filters off eBay which work great. Photograph bugs etc....great fun

Hmmmmmmmmm, app? I haven't missed enabled the creative forum on the app have I?

Meant to say when you first mentioned it - good on Stewart for loaning Marcel the MP65. Enjoy! I understand it's a beast to tame (as you put it) but can reward the user hugely!

' requested thread could not be found' ooops
Link works ok on the laptop, but not on my phone!
Hmmmmmmmmm, app? I haven't missed enabled the creative forum on the app have I?
Edit : Just checked....nope
It seems to be a generic issue with the TP app. You can't follow links to other threads on TP. Bizarrely you can follow links to other sites.

I'll post this in the support forum so that it doesn't get overlooked.

Last edited:
Saw your smoke stuff. I use smoke flow pens, maplins, rs components sell them. The are pencil sized so give off a thicker smoke trail than incense sticks.

Have a go at the oil and water, pretty sure I used 70-200 for this and others, fascinating watching the shapes whiz around as looking through the viewfinder.....and hope you feel better soon (y)

IMG_7411
by rkcphotos, on Flickr

Marcel...forgive me for nicking a corner of your thread.
My turn to be "off sick", AND supposed to stay in.
Soooooo.....Bob, what your setup for the oil and water whatyamacallit?

Marcel...forgive me for nicking a corner of your thread.
My turn to be "off sick", AND supposed to stay in.
Soooooo.....Bob, what your setup for the oil and water whatyamacallit?

Hi Ruth
This tutorial is basically how I done it http://seeinginmacro.com/macro-photography-how-to-abstract-oil-water/

Couple of differences, I did not have a macro lens if I remember I used 70-200 F4 lens, no glass coffee table just placed something to create a gap between the water and oil vessel and used some holographic paper from xmas wrapping, another thing is experiment with a torch which created my white spots, I used olive oil.

I got it from a member on here who had wrote a tutorial, cant find it now, I think the member was called Carl

Another tutorial here http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2013/01/18/abstract-photo-ideas-get-creative-with-oil-and-water/

Hi Ruth
This tutorial is basically how I done it http://seeinginmacro.com/macro-photography-how-to-abstract-oil-water/

Couple of differences, I did not have a macro lens if I remember I used 70-200 F4 lens, no glass coffee table just placed something to create a gap between the water and oil vessel and used some holographic paper from xmas wrapping, another thing is experiment with a torch which created my white spots, I used olive oil.

I got it from a member on here who had wrote a tutorial, cant find it now, I think the member was called Carl

Another tutorial here http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2013/01/18/abstract-photo-ideas-get-creative-with-oil-and-water/

Many thanks! !

Back