iPhone 5S/C and iOS7

The thing is,I like the idea of the twin flash etc but the rest of the improvements are software based which can be performed using third party apps! I used to be a Win Mobile fan but then moved to Android and never looked back.
Jobs wanted cutting edge features to all his products but I just think now it's all letting go a bit, Apple are now at a point where they're losing inspiration (which makes sense as Jobs passed away etc)
The one product that has made me WOW is the upcoming Mac pro, can't wait to have a look etc, not sure if I would buy one though!

And the 5c, why didn't they just use anodized Alu and colour the 5S instead of using plastic and trying to profess that it's a different phone?

Oooft to the prices though... Pretty please Three, I can haz a free 5S?
Trying to remember what the 4S cost me when I first got it. Ultimately not a lot, because I got a great deal through QuidCo, but I think it was around £200 for the 64GB. Will drop that to 32GB at the most this time (partially because of music streaming, partially because Three charge more for the larger model phones per month).

The thing is,I like the idea of the twin flash etc but the rest of the improvements are software based which can be performed using third party apps! I used to be a Win Mobile fan but then moved to Android and never looked back.
Jobs wanted cutting edge features to all his products but I just think now it's all letting go a bit, Apple are now at a point where they're losing inspiration (which makes sense as Jobs passed away etc)
The one product that has made me WOW is the upcoming Mac pro, can't wait to have a look etc, not sure if I would buy one though!

Why should you have to use third party apps when its built in?

Trying to remember what the 4S cost me when I first got it. Ultimately not a lot, because I got a great deal through QuidCo, but I think it was around £200 for the 64GB. Will drop that to 32GB at the most this time (partially because of music streaming, partially because Three charge more for the larger model phones per month).

I was initially a bit surprised about price but a Samsung galaxy 4 is over 500 sim free..

The thing is,I like the idea of the twin flash etc but the rest of the improvements are software based which can be performed using third party apps!

Last time I checked a brand new 64 bit SoC wasn't a third party app...

And the 5c, why didn't they just use anodized Alu and colour the 5S instead of using plastic and trying to profess that it's a different phone?

The 5C has replaced the iPhone 5. It's the first time they've removed the direct predecessor to a product and instead put something else in its place. They aren't professing it's something different, they're not pretending that it's not an iPhone 5 in a new case.

Last time I checked a brand new 64 bit SoC wasn't a third party app...
Neither is it £several hundred.

And yes, I do know what volume pricing of complex SoC chips containing 64-bit Arm cores and high performance graphics are.... ;)

The thing is,I like the idea of the twin flash etc but the rest of the improvements are software based which can be performed using third party apps!

New processor, new motion coprocessor, new image sensor, new lens, vastly improved LTE radio, fingerprint sensor?

So iOS 7 or a 3rd party app will add all these to the iPhone 5?

If only things cost what the manufacturer paid in parts :D
Don't go there with Apple and how much it costs to build.. ;) :D

TBH, the prices that are being charged (and that people pay) for smartphones is ridiculous compared to what they cost to make.

Don't go there with Apple and how much it costs to build.. ;) :D

TBH, the prices that are being charged (and that people pay) for smartphones is ridiculous compared to what they cost to make.

Arguably Samsung are worse, build quality and materials on the S3 and S4 don't feel like a £500 phone, they don't even feel like a £250 phone.

The camera improvements sell it on its own in my opinion.
If camera is most important it's better to look at PureView 41MPx instead the latest consecutive incremental and boring iPhone update.

Arguing about phones costing more than their parts is like arguing in a restaurant over the food. Or moaning that a photographer charges more than a quid for a print because that's all the parts are worth ;)

Hopefully ios7 will improve some of the 5's camera behaviour as it is very hit and miss in low light compared to the N8 I had under identical circumstances.

If camera is most important it's better to look at PureView 41MPx instead the latest consecutive incremental and boring iPhone update.

If that hardware was available as Android or iOS it might be a much better seller than it is now.

Arguably Samsung are worse, build quality and materials on the S3 and S4 don't feel like a £500 phone, they don't even feel like a £250 phone.
Hey... no arguments from me there... Even £250 for a phone is expensive - look at how much Google are charging for their Nexus 7 - £199 for 16G full HD 7" panel. The only thing missing is the mobile phone bit which isn't that expensive. Or the Nexus 4 - £199 for a 16G version....

Did have to chuckle that the "budget" iPhone 5C is more expensive than the outgoing iPhone 5 which you can still get though...

Also, I'm not sure what 64 bit brings to the party - other than more marketing.

Last edited:
Anyway, Although I'm not a fan of the iPhone, I do think it's a bloody good looking phone compared to what else is on the market etc. The only other one I like is the HTC One which is very similar, I just feel locked in with IOS, if they could do a few tweaks and add a decent home screen then I would probably buy it etc :)
Apple have a HUGE following (their profits and net worth prove it) so although share prices dropped for a moment yesterday, just think how many Tweens will now want the 5C this christmas in a rather fetching yellow or green - basically it means who needs a colourful phone case when the phone itself speaks a bag of skittles etc!

Apple have a HUGE following

Not as huge as Android though, as the stats for smartphone shipments for the first half of the year show.

• Android: UK/57.3% - US/52.9% - China/88.4%

• iOS: UK/28.2% - US/42.6% - China/8.0%

Not as huge as Android though, as the stats for smartphone shipments for the first half of the year show.

I would suggest that has a lot to do with the fact that you can buy a number of Android handsets under £100.

Controlling the bargain end of the market always means you will sell in far greater numbers, unfortunately the profit margins and ongoing revenue from those customers tends to be much lower than from the higher end of the market.

You also have to wonder how many people who buy the cheap Android handsets actually use them for more than Facebook updates.

Considering the disparity in sales numbers, iOS is still way ahead as the mobile operating system for Internet use.

August 2013 figures put iOS market share at 54.9% and Android at 28.1% (poor old Windows Phone is only managing 0.9%).

iOS: 54.91 %
Android: 28.12 %
Java ME: 8.43 %
BlackBerry: 3.28 %
Symbian: 3.26 %
Windows Phone: 0.97 %
Kindle: 0.85 %
Other: 0.18 %
http://www.netmarketshare.com/

If a thread about a significant Nikon upgrade was trashed by Canon lovers, or vice versa, the mods would be all over it.

So why should a thread specifically about iPhones be allowed to be trashed by Apple haters and sad android cheapskate fanboys.

Just saying.

I believe the comparison was made with the high end Android smart phones, such as Samsung Galaxy S4 & HTC one, and not any old Android phone and not knockoffs

If a thread about a significant Nikon upgrade was trashed by Canon lovers, or vice versa, the mods would be all over it.

So why should a thread specifically about iPhones be allowed to be trashed by Apple haters and sad android cheapskate fanboys.

Just saying.

No one is doing that as far as I can see

Except for you with your post of course.....

I believe the comparison was made with the high end Android smart phones, such as Samsung Galaxy S4 & HTC one, and not any old Android phone and not knockoffs

If so, why did you make this post, it has been the one that began the discussion on markets share and bargain handsets?

werent we just talking about market share though?

Agreed, rather confusing :shrug:.

Enough!

Seriously, another apple/android debate is NOT needed again. This thread seems to be for those that do want to consider the latest iPhone whatever, so lets leave the discussion at that, or it will just end up as another closed thread on this subject.

Thankyou.

The iPhone 5C and those horrible cases feel very un-Steve Jobs and even very un-Apple to me.

Why is this?

Steve often made plastic versions of more premium devices.

Take the 2 Macbooks, a plastic normal version with the metal pro.

Same when the launched the Unibodies and the white plastic "Clam" cheaper version

When you are sitting on $145 Billion of Cash on Hand from a tried and tested formula, why go after the low end of the market? Isn't that just a race to the bottom?

Market share (units shipped to be precise) tells you nothing about who is making the most money out of smartphones.

Consider these facts:

1. Apple are the only mobile phone manufacturer who have made a success of getting carriers to pay THEM a share of call and contract revenue for the 'privilege' of carrying the iPhone

2. Apple makes far more money than anybody else through app and music sales.

3. Whilst more and more developers are embracing other platforms, many see Apple's App Store as a safe pair of hands, in that piracy is far less than on Android and recurring revenues (upgrades and in-app purchases) are very high. Add to this that it is easier to develop for and support iOS devices, Apple will be welcoming their 30% cut of app sales for sometime yet!

Will things change?

Quite possibly.

Google are a powerhouse in advertising. Mobile advertising revenue is expected to go off the scale in the near future. This for me is when the tide will turn and Google will be the ones counting the cash.

Back to the new phones - am I excited? Not in the least bit. Apple have always had at least one feature on the new phones that has made me think, I could really be tempted by that. The last few releases has made me no less happy with my 4S!

Why is this?

Steve often made plastic versions of more premium devices.

Take the 2 Macbooks, a plastic normal version with the metal pro.

Same when the launched the Unibodies and the white plastic "Clam" cheaper version

Its the tacky colours IMO. Its just not the Apple we've seen grow to be so successful. I can't help but think its a little bit of a step backwards with Apple.

I don't really see the point of the 5C either at the price its at. Yea, I could if it was a lot cheaper or if you could get it on a much shorter contract but if you're going to have a phone for 2 years why wouldn't you pay the extra £50 or whatever it is for the better 5S?

My contract is up at the end of the month, so I think I'll make the move to a 5S purely as it will be easier for my business having an iMac & iPad already.

The original idea 6 months ago from insiders was that it would be an affordable handset to get more IOS users on the market but maybe they changed their minds?

I've been an o2 customer for donkey's years, and was waiting for the 5s as my contract is up and I'm ready to jump in to another 24 month one.

BUT I think I'll wait.

I've got a 4s at the minute, and I can't see a need to upgrade. There is a few extra goodies to be had by upgrading, but the cost far outweighs any of them. I've looked into some sim only deals and I can get a GiffGaff sim (which uses o2 network anyway) for £12/month. I'll sit it out and wait for the iphone6

I've been waiting for a while to upgrade which will probably now happen though the 5S is not getting me dancing in the aisles but on the other hand what more can we get from a mobile phone?...difficult to answer as cant really think of any more I need.

Exactly, I still use my Galaxy note which is quick enough for the time being, I rarely use the camera as I have 4 DSLR's for that! If a phone could make a cup of tea at 6am then I will invest some money :D

I've been an o2 customer for donkey's years, and was waiting for the 5s as my contract is up and I'm ready to jump in to another 24 month one.

BUT I think I'll wait.

I've got a 4s at the minute, and I can't see a need to upgrade. There is a few extra goodies to be had by upgrading, but the cost far outweighs any of them. I've looked into some sim only deals and I can get a GiffGaff sim (which uses o2 network anyway) for £12/month. I'll sit it out and wait for the iphone6
What sort of usage are you after? The Three deal with unlimited data for £12/month is ridiculous, both my wife and daughter are on that.

what ever they call the next iphone it's still got that teeny weeny little screen bless it ahh!

what ever they call the next iphone it's still got that teeny weeny little screen bless it ahh!

A lot of the Android screens are too big for your pocket now.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=g...hrome.0.69i57.9603j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

2 of us have cracked screens on our Google Nexus, not from being dropped, just from being in our pockets, the same as every other phone.

If I want a big screen I have a tablet. A phone is a phone.

I would drop down to the 4s so I can use the same charge for everything, but the 4S is now only available with 8Gb storage :(

double post

Thought the admins said it wasn't a iphone vs android thread?

What sort of usage are you after? The Three deal with unlimited data for £12/month is ridiculous, both my wife and daughter are on that.

I'm on a 600min/750Mb contract and probably only use 200-250 minutes at best. I do use most of the data allowance though. Looking at giffgaff torn between the £10 (500min/1Gb) and the £12 (250min/unlimited). The appeal is that they use the same network (o2) that I'm currently on. Maybe I should check out '3', just not a network that's been on my radar.

Tomorrow is 1 month before my contract is up, so gonna phone O2 and see what they say. If I can get a 'free' 5S for under £40/month I might just stay, but I very much doubt it.

Back