It isn't all about the SLR....

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
Not sure how recently a thread like this has been started, but I haven't noticed one in a while. Before I got into photography, I had an old Sony Cybershot bought in 2006. So here is a thread to showcase shots not taken with an SLR...

What interesting images have you taken with a compact or mobile? Here's my first to show you all....

axn7q.png

Taken with the Sony :)

Got to admit, I have seen some stunning non DSLR images online

My daughter still gets some cracking shots with my old 300D - yes I know it's a DSLR, but it is an ageing one ... :exit:

Here's an assortment accumulated over the years....

Sony DCR-PC110 1MP camcorder, bought in 2000
20060529_180535_0032_LR.jpg

Sony DSC-P200 7.2MP compact, bought in 2005
20080725_200940_03110_LR.jpg

Fuji F100fd 12MP compact, bought in 2009
20090419_152830_0454_LR.jpg

ZTE Blade 3MP cameraphone, bought in 2010
20111026_111900_111901_LR.jpg

Samsung Galaxy Note 8MP cameraphone, bought in 2011
20120710_113001_30_LR.jpg

Panasonic TZ30 14MP compact, bought in 2012
20120429_133344_1000138_LR.jpg

Whitby by night. Taken with a Medion 85173 compact.

2006-01-14-04-Rc.jpg

Last edited:
I sometimes participate in an online fortnightly photo competition site called Fujimugs, which has been going since 2003, and some of the images from way back then, and in the intervening years, have been excellent, and the vast majority were not taken with a DSLR.

It was originally for just Fuji cameras, hence the name, and there haven't been too many Fuji DSLRs. ;) Now there are two sections, one for Fuji cameras, and an Open section for everything else, but the vast majority of images in the Fuji section are not taken with DSLRs because, like I said, there are not that many to choose from, but hundreds of Fuji compacts and Bridge cameras. ;)

If you have a Fuji camera, you are able to enter two images in the competition, one in the Fuji section, and one in the Open section.

If you want a challenge, then join up and enter one of the fortnightly challenges. :) And if you are feeling uninspired, then check out some of the older challenges, they are up to challenge 161. That's 161 ideas for taking pics for when you can't think of anything to take a picture of. ;) And from a technical point of view, if not an artistic one, most users here have a better equipment than a lot of the pictures taken in the very early challenges. I started there with a 3Mp Fuji Bridge camera many years ago. My current phone is 5Mp. :LOL:

I sometimes participate in an online fortnightly photo competition site called Fujimugs, which has been going since 2003, and some of the images from way back then, and in the intervening years, have been excellent, and the vast majority were not taken with a DSLR.

It was originally for just Fuji cameras, hence the name, and there haven't been too many Fuji DSLRs. ;) Now there are two sections, one for Fuji cameras, and an Open section for everything else, but the vast majority of images in the Fuji section are not taken with DSLRs because, like I said, there are not that many to choose from, but hundreds of Fuji compacts and Bridge cameras. ;)

If you have a Fuji camera, you are able to enter two images in the competition, one in the Fuji section, and one in the Open section.

If you want a challenge, then join up and enter one of the fortnightly challenges. :) And if you are feeling uninspired, then check out some of the older challenges, they are up to challenge 161. That's 161 ideas for taking pics for when you can't think of anything to take a picture of. ;) And from a technical point of view, if not an artistic one, most users here have a better equipment than a lot of the pictures taken in the very early challenges. I started there with a 3Mp Fuji Bridge camera many years ago. My current phone is 5Mp. :LOL:

Very interesting

I wish my old Fuji S304 still worked, it was a cracking little camera...

1 - Misty Morning dew on cobweb

From the olden days by Yvonne White - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

2 - same morning

3 - remember the fire at the Buncefield Oil depot nr Hemel Hempstead - this was the view of the smoke being carried south from bedroom window in Nth London :eek:

4 - Piccadilly Circus at Christmas

More to follow in next post ;)

I loved this cameras ability to take a sunset shot....

5 - off a cruise ship in the Med

6 - and even after the sun had gone, I used to love this picture even though there is a little handshake.

7 - taken from the plane on the flight into majorca, hence the scrot on the windows

8 - finally, sort of bang up to date, and going right back... the actual photo is taken with a Fuji X100, but the polaroid in it was taken with a proper old polaroid land camera, 'The Button'

I am looking to get an X10, but its been an expensive few months with a new computer, camera body, a lens and a laptop.... so might have to wait a little longer before I can enjoy 'compact freedom' again :LOL:

Cheers :D
It's Copenhagen earlier this year.
Our camera club goes abroad every year taking advantage of cheap flights and cheap hotels; it's as much a social outing as photographic.
You can see more from the same set over in my blog - all taken with the X10.
There's nothing in that set to indicate I made a mistake leaving the DSLR at home. The image quality is plenty good enough for A3 and I certainly appreciated the ease of travelling with so little kit.

I liked Copenhagen a lot and would recommend it, but it is one of the more expensive destinations we have visited.
Two other destinations I have really liked are Riga (spectacular food and unspoilt), Krakow (friendly vibrant city).
I could take or leave most of the other destinations we have been to including Amsterdam, Vienna, Prague, Lisbon and Bratislava.

I'm not much of a fan of phone cameras but thought I'd try out my iPhone camera recently and was moderately impressed.

photo_3-tp.jpg

These windmills are at Kinderdijk in Holland. They are part of a system of 19 similar windmills that were used to pump water out of the polder and into the nearby canal. Some are still in working condition but the real work has been taken over by more modern pumping stations.

All the below taken by my FUJI HS-20

Thistle on Macro mode:
Dscf5973B.jpg

This is a fossilised shark tooth taken on Super Macro mode (it is about 1cm wide)
Tiger1.jpg

This bug is about 2cm long.
untitled-13.jpg

Panorama mode:
Dscf6003.jpg

Panorama mode used vertically:
Dscf6136.jpg

Yes that is 57 degrees celcius. The people with me had Pro cameras that kept shutting down because of the heat:
Img_2441.jpg

All these pics have minimal PP and then resized for forum.

ziggy©;4883428 said:
Alex Majoli uses Olympus C-5050 and C-8080 cameras on assignment
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6468-7844

Excelente :clap:

Some of my favourite shots have been taken with the little cameras. I still love my C-5050 (which you couldn't call a P&S as it has full manual control and masses of features). This is from my most recent outing with it (far from the best I've taken with it, but I am too lazy to dig back into my files).

Gull by MJWC1, on Flickr

Here's one from my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX12 (not much in the way of manual control with this one, but it is so tiny and easy to carry around). Again, just one from my last use.

Enter by MJWC1, on Flickr

As long as you can lock the exposure on your non DSLR camera you can do panoramic pictures (if your camera doesn't have a sweep panorama option, which mine doesn't :shake:) and stitched pics like this image below, which I did a few weeks ago, but only got to put together last week. It is 13 images from a Canon S95 stitched together.

pantheon2editresize.jpg

Back