Jacobs gone bump!

Just read on Twitter they are going into liquidation. Feel for the 150+ staff who are going to lose their jobs :-/

Jez2011 said:
Just read on Twitter they are going into liquidation. Feel for the 150+ staff who are going to lose their jobs :-/

I'll bet those that left Jessops to go work at Jacobs are regretting it now....

That was pretty quick from administration to liquidation, things must have been a lot worse than thought.

Jacobs is no more. Shops closed this evening at 5pm. R.I.P.

Have all the branches closed? Strangely, the website still seems to be up and running, and no mention on the administrators site of total closure.

Have all the branches closed? Strangely, the website still seems to be up and running, and no mention on the administrators site of total closure.

I wouldnt be suprised if they liquidate the shops and try to go web only

Dave1 said:
There seems to be very little mention of this online, unless twitters twelve hours ahead... Which is possible I guess.

Will be a sad loss to the high street, always felt Jacobs staff were that bit more interested than "the other shop"

All shops closed last night at 5pm. And strangely enough anyone who left Jessops is certainly NOT regretting it. I worked at the New Oxford Street store and to a man customers who shopped with us refused to even step into the shop across the road! End of an era. Now lets see how long Jessops can battle the storm. Good luck to them.

It was very quick indeed but I believe it's true that all stores have closed and they are now only trading online.

Seeing as there's only one city in the UK, that narrows it down considerably ;)

I'm just going by what Jacobs are saying directly. I've not seen any announcements through the official channels and it does seem very quick, perhaps too quick, but I can't imagine any reason for them to lie?

EDIT: Just noticed their store locator only shows Leicester.

Last edited:
talktalk said:
All shops closed last night at 5pm. And strangely enough anyone who left Jessops is certainly NOT regretting it. I worked at the New Oxford Street store and to a man customers who shopped with us refused to even step into the shop across the road! End of an era. Now lets see how long Jessops can battle the storm. Good luck to them.

You've canvased the opinions of every ex-Jessops employee working for Jacobs since the closure was announced? Likewise, you've garnered the opinion of every customer who used the branch Jacobs you worked in?

If so that's some pretty valuable, indepth market research data you've got your hands on there.......

1 Leicester store open and head office to tie things up. Online store may be up, but it ain't running. This company is dead and buried, or they are just lowering the coffin into the grave. Onestopdigital here we come!

as a preference I always preferred jacobs
however, not enough to buy all my kit there, pricing just wasn't competitive enough.
it was great for buying accessories though like bags and tripods which I wanted to see first hand.

Interesting that Calumet were in talks to buy the business, one can only assume that when they looked into the financials they realised that becoming a high st chain didn't make sense...

I can prove it, because thats what was TOLD to me, by the very customers who I directed to Jessops to say "sorry we don't have it in store, but you could try across the road" and who replied "not on your nelly, not never, not ever, they don't know what they're talking about and they don't even know what said item is" [a lightmeter, for instance]. And if Jessops is doing so well why are they hiring all the time? because no-one wants to stay thats why.

Flash In The Pan said:
No you can't. Are you seriously saying you personally spoke to every customer that came into that branch?

No, because he didn't ask me... But for what it's worth, I agree with him :)

No, because he didn't ask me... But for what it's worth, I agree with him :)

He didn't speak to me either, and while I preferred Jacobs, I had no problem crossing the road to Jessops.

I go into both with an open mind and until proven otherwise believe the assistant in either is clueless (and both Jacobs and Jessops have plenty of assistants to back that up, while both have a minority of assistants who don't ;) ).

As a kid many years ago I used to love looking in a camera shop window in Bold Street Liverpool, it was an exiting place but it closed down years ago, I can't remember what the place was called! When Jacobs came along I used to park in Bold St where Jacobs was situated, I loved looking in the window and maybe making a purchase. I would sometimes walk a little further and venture into Jessops. But going into town with only Jessops to choose from is a little saddening. :(

isnt there an independent camera and camcorder shop in cheapside , liverpool ? (I've only been there once and forget what it was called)

isnt there an independent camera and camcorder shop in cheapside , liverpool ? (I've only been there once and forget what it was called)

Yes it's called Newton Ellis I popped in on Saturday in the hopes of spotting a second hand body and lens. Lovely old worldy shop lovely fella I had a good long chat with him.

I really did want to buy something off him as he was such a nice bloke, I plumped for a filter but he did not have one to sell me.

I will pay this shop another visit soon, really interesting place :)

It's more of a repair shop and a few nick nacks such as telescopes and camcorder bits etc

Last edited:
The internet is killing off loads of high street shops.

My local camera shop's prices is just way over what can be had on the net. They just cant compete!

It's sad to see any high street shop close.
Walk through any town or even city now, and the empty shops are everywhere.

Price of a Canon 24-105 f4L in Jessops...£919.45
Price of Canon 24-105 f4L from procamerashop HK...£629.99

almost £300 difference, so theres no surprise the high St is dying.
How can the difference be so much though?
Is it UK tax?, overheads such as wages, rent etc? is the base price for the lens in HK lower to start with?
anyone know the answers?

cheapside is near liverpool street in london

Yes but we are talking about this place

Newton Ellis & Co.
29 Cheapside, Liverpool, Merseyside L2 2DY
0151 236 1391 ‎ · newtonellis.com

Based in Liverpool not London (y)

Carlo said:
It's sad to see any high street shop close.
Walk through any town or even city now, and the empty shops are everywhere.

Price of a Canon 24-105 f4L in Jessops...£919.45
Price of Canon 24-105 f4L from procamerashop HK...£629.99

almost £300 difference, so theres no surprise the high St is dying.
How can the difference be so much though?
Is it UK tax?, overheads such as wages, rent etc? is the base price for the lens in HK lower to start with?
anyone know the answers?

It's essentially the same reason that cigarettes are cheaper from the spiv down the local market than from a supermarket,the HK sellers have lower overheads and ship the goods in such a way as to evade UK taxes and duty.

The level of comeback you have is about the same too....

This doesn't bode well for me as I am trying to reclaim a payment for a bag they failed to deliver, luckily I bought it on a credit card so just waiting to see if 5 days really does turn out to be 5 days

Maybe somebody should update the Jacobs About Us Company History page. It stops at 2010 somebody should bring the page up to date, and make it more clearer what's going on at the present time! As at the moment they just have a little message at the bottom of the page by Administrators Edward T Kerr and Jim Stewart-Koster of PKF (UK) LLP

Last edited:
I'm guessing it's deliberate. Unfortunately, when it comes to a liquidation the liquidators are top of the list for being paid first and you can bet your life that their fees will magically amount to just under the amount of money they bring in, leaving a few dregs for everyone else.

I have a box full of administrator/liquidator financial reports from various companies and it's absolutely disgusting what and how they charge - they basically devour the assets for themselves. Pure greed and the system with this needs changing.

Back