Jacobs stock online auction

is the priceless + vat too :LOL:
bet there are some that won't pay

I wonder what the auctioneers will do in that case, I know the detail I gave were real but I saw no sign of any way that they would validate that :cautious: this could be interesting...

I don't particularly mind that things are not dirt cheap as I said earlier, but I do think that some of the items the prices have got bloody stupid :shake:

I only paid attention to the day 3, with the sigma and used/exhire stuff. I thought anything better than f2.8 went for a high price, ie dearer than panamoz. Some stuff was close to amazon prices, which is madness.

The cheaper, general purpose stuff went for ok prices, if exclude the cost of transport.

I suspect a lot of the pricing was to do with people not reading the auction properly.

I only paid attention to the day 3, with the sigma and used/exhire stuff. I thought anything better than f2.8 went for a high price, ie dearer than panamoz. Some stuff was close to amazon prices, which is madness.

The cheaper, general purpose stuff went for ok prices, if exclude the cost of transport.

I suspect a lot of the pricing was to do with people not reading the auction properly.

my thoughts exactly..

So did anyone here pick up a bargain?

I suspect there will be a lot of stuff appearing on ebay soon at the unrealistic prices some sellers seem to think they can get.

I looked in the terms and it says buyers have to pay and if they don't they'll get stiffed for the difference between their offer and what someone else pays for it in the end ie they make good the loss!

I don't think there were any bargains. The lot I was looking at which was a few sony cameras with no boxes, accessories or much beyond a battery went for £500. That's going to be £800+ by the time costs are added on. There's little to be made as it is only the A580 and the Nex that was worth anything but without accessories I don't think they'll get much for them.

There were some bargains - I saved £200 on a GX1 and got a Billingham bag for about a third off.
I was surprised by some of the prices paid though...

There were some bargains - I saved £200 on a GX1 and got a Billingham bag for about a third off.
I was surprised by some of the prices paid though...

So what source was the £200 saving based on ?

Galaxy66 said:
So what source was the £200 saving based on ?

Amazon (and the fact that I paid just about the least of anyone in the auction...).

Last edited:
Amazon have the GX1 at £400, so you got it at hammer price of £145? Bugger. I should have registered - it would have been worth the train journey!

I'm talking about the one with the 14-42 X lens and the viewfinder.

Last edited:
I'm talking about the one with the 14-42 X lens and the viewfinder, smart-arse.

Charming. I was genuinely interested in what bargains were to be had.

At least your abuse was free! :clap:

Llamaman said:
Charming. I was genuinely interested in what bargains were to be had.

At least your abuse was free! :clap:

Ok, sounded like a sarky remark (must be thinking about another photography forum). Apologies and reply edited.

Last edited:
Well, that was an Aladdin's cave! I had to go into the Jacob's warehouse to help pack my goods and was chatting to the warehouse guy. He was a Jacob's employee (not auction house) and this was his penultimate day after 31 years at the company :(

Having said that he was remarkably chirpy and said that lots of people had fallen into the trap of not anticipating the fees and VAT and so had either paid over retail or were refusing to pay altogether.

Nevertheless, a shame to see the bones being picked over.

Well, that was an Aladdin's cave! I had to go into the Jacob's warehouse to help pack my goods and was chatting to the warehouse guy. He was a Jacob's employee (not auction house) and this was his penultimate day after 31 years at the company :(

Having said that he was remarkably chirpy and said that lots of people had fallen into the trap of not anticipating the fees and VAT and so had either paid over retail or were refusing to pay altogether.

Nevertheless, a shame to see the bones being picked over.

This post is incomplete.....let us know what you bagged then :D

This post is incomplete.....let us know what you bagged then :D

Three and a half thousand hessian bags for life ;)

They've got "Jacobs" on them but where I come from that's rhyming slang and shows a devil may care attitude when in Waitrose. :cool:

Three and a half thousand hessian bags for life ;)
They've got "Jacobs" on them but where I come from that's rhyming slang and shows a devil may care attitude when in Waitrose. :cool:
That's one heck of a weekly shopping trip you must have!

I'm going tomorrow to pick up the few things that I won. I assume the lots that were unsold or where the buyers refuse to pay will go into Day 5 but the link to the web page with the plant sales auction diary just comes up with "Bad Request" when I try to acces it.

legally if you win an auction you have to pay
wonder if they will sue the non payers

Rebel t3i said:
legally if you win an auction you have to pay
wonder if they will sue the non payers

According to the conditions a buyer who doesn't pay is liable to pay the difference between what they agreed to pay and the resale purchase price plus any costs such as storage and insurance costs.

I've found the link to the Day 5 sale now but there is no catalogue available so it's unclear if the unsold / rescinded lots will be in this sale.

in that case Roy it would be wise for them to just pay up at least they will have the expensive goods

If they are going to allow the general public to these actions they should IMO show the bids with the fees and costs included
e.g. a bid of £100 should have next to it £138
not a difficult thing to do with today's technology

If the final cost were shown I'd imagine there would have been far fewer bids and lower prices achieved...

If the final cost were shown I'd imagine there would have been far fewer bids and lower prices achieved...

indeed
but you can't realistically expect to have these complex charges and vat in an auction not everyone is a rain man :LOL:

The fees were very clear and stated up-front.
I would hope that the "general public" can read and use a calculator...

Last edited:
...which is why you decide what your maximum bid will be before the auction starts (or at least before the frenzy stage).

Last edited:
not that easy to calculate in the midst of an auction frenzy

Sorry have to disagree, it took me all of 30 seconds to do a table with bid and final price figures ;) will be interesting to view the contents of Day 5

Sorry have to disagree, it took me all of 30 seconds to do a table with bid and final price figures ;) will be interesting to view the contents of Day 5

clearly not considering the number of non payers :LOL::LOL:

Just goes to show how many people can apparently read something in plain language and not actually understand the meaning of it. You see the same thing in the "Have Your Say" section on the BBC website.

Sad really. Still, it means more jobs for those of us who are functionally literate ;)

Had a look at the Day 5 sale yesterday but auction fever hadn't abated, if anything it was worse with some lots accelerating quickly to above market value with BP and VAT. I bid on a couple of items, none of which I won. This morning I got an email as the "underbidder" on one item to see if I wanted to buy it because the winning bidder was asking for their bid to be cancelled because they'd "made a mistake"!

Last edited:
I paid £40 odd all in for an epson 4870 scanner. No idea whether it was a good or bad deal as I didn't really research. It was cheaper than getting them scanned professionally so I thought why not...

Looks like you're one of the lucky few who got a proper deal. 4870s go for three time more and upwards usually. Congrats.

I'll reserve celebrations until I've got it home and scanned something successfully with it :)

Back