weekly Johns 52 Thread for 2015 - Week 8+9 - Relax and Vertical added.

Like it. Nice an clean BG, lovely greens, condensation really adds to the photograph and nice lighting, apart from the small hot section near the P on the label. Reflection is nice and crisp as well.

No really crit from me on this one.

Cheers.

Nice. The condensation is picked out nicely by the lighting. The only negative comment I have is that I want a beer now and I'm trying to do Dry January :D

Like it. Nice an clean BG, lovely greens, condensation really adds to the photograph and nice lighting, apart from the small hot section near the P on the label. Reflection is nice and crisp as well.

No really crit from me on this one.

Cheers.

Many thanks, I hadn't spotted the highlight on the label..........but I do now .
Thanks for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it. :)

Nice. The condensation is picked out nicely by the lighting. The only negative comment I have is that I want a beer now and I'm trying to do Dry January :D

Many thanks, sadly the chilled beer wasn't put to good use as I have vowed not to drink till my birthday (Dec) and I am sorry to have put such a tempting image on your screen . :-(
Thanks for taking the time to stop by and comment. :)

Last edited:
That's a cracking image, John. I know how hard it is to get a decent shot of glass. My friend at work paints on glass and wanted some photos and I ended up shooting a studio flash through a snoot onto a white background to reflect the light back through the glass - nightmare!

Anyway - well done, makes me fancy a nice cool beer....

That's a cracking image, John. I know how hard it is to get a decent shot of glass. My friend at work paints on glass and wanted some photos and I ended up shooting a studio flash through a snoot onto a white background to reflect the light back through the glass - nightmare!

Anyway - well done, makes me fancy a nice cool beer....
Hi, getting the exposure right was a little tricky, I ended up using a left over tinfoil tray from Xmas as a reflector to get an even spread of light, it took a few attempts but I definitely learnt something.
Many thanks for taking the time to stop by and comment, I appreciate it.

That's a very nice image and the edit with more light on the top just finishes it nicely. For some reason I have a real hankering for a Carlsberg and I don't even like lager.

Says Bliss to me (y) Great shot of what is a surprisingly difficult subject :clap::clap:

Many thanks, it was a lot trickier than I thought it would be, more than happy with the end result. Many thanks for stopping by and commenting.

That's a very nice image and the edit with more light on the top just finishes it nicely. For some reason I have a real hankering for a Carlsberg and I don't even like lager.
I agree the top was a little dark and prefer the 2nd edit, if my image has made a non lager drinker want a lager then I will take that as a compliment. Thankyou for the kind words and thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Great product shot.
Not bliss for me anymore lager gases me up to much.

Like the take on bliss, and love the condensation and reflection. I prefer the lighter lid version
:)

That's a real quality piece of lighting on the bottle John. It could easily be seen in a product advert. Very impressive. The blacks are spot on and the inclusion of the reflection grounds the subject nicely.

And the prize for most patterns in one shot goes to...

Nice, the wood, leaf and frost patterns give plenty of interest, nice wintery colours too. I'd maybe like a tiny bit more dof, to bring the post at the front lhs into focus.

Bliss just makes me want a beer. The lighting, reflection and moisture on the bottle make it look really appealing. Nice job!

That's a real quality piece of lighting on the bottle John. It could easily be seen in a product advert. Very impressive. The blacks are spot on and the inclusion of the reflection grounds the subject nicely.
Wow, many thanks for such positive feedback, I appreciate it.

And the prize for most patterns in one shot goes to...

Nice, the wood, leaf and frost patterns give plenty of interest, nice wintery colours too. I'd maybe like a tiny bit more dof, to bring the post at the front lhs into focus.

Bliss just makes me want a beer. The lighting, reflection and moisture on the bottle make it look really appealing. Nice job!

Another person with very positive things to say about my images so far, I really do appreciate the kind words and for you taking your time to stop by and comment.

Well here is my first attempt at Fragile, the image is of an egg hitting a work top and cracking, I am not 100% happy with this, the top is a little dark and the image is a bit soft in places I am however happy with the fact I got the image as the egg bounced off the work top and it started leaking its insides. I think I am going to be having another crack (pardon the pun) at this later today or tomorrow. As always all crit appreciated.

Fragile 1-1 by JSN-Photography, on Flickr

Last edited:
Eggsellant :D

Actually I quite like the low key effect, and well done for
getting the bounce too, I know if I tried it it'd just be a "mess" ;)

BTW I fixed your link,
Click the number #61 in this case bottom right,
and copy & Paste the top url into the highlighted word "Link"
via the chain symbol at the top of the message box

that is a 'cracking shot' ;) nice idea too
Thank you, I doubt you'll be the only person to include an egg pun in your comment :)

Eggsellant :D

Actually I quite like the low key effect, and well done for
getting the bounce too, I know if I tried it it'd just be a "mess" ;)

BTW I fixed your link,
Click the number #61 in this case bottom right,
and copy & Paste the top url into the highlighted word "Link"
via the chain symbol at the top of the message box

Thanks for sorting that Cobra, I thought thats what I had done. As for mess, you should've seen the kitchen top when I'd finished. Many thanks for taking the time to stop by and comment.(y)

Fragile.

Very nice indeed. Great reflections.

A few distracting things in the background...

you must be eggstatic with the results - sorry couldn't resist

Many thanks, the background is one of the areas I am not happy with, thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Hi John. This was one of my initial ideas but didn't really have anywhere suitable to start throwing eggs about hahaha. The fact that you got a shot of it bouncing is awesome. (y) I love it.

Nice! Great job catching the mid-air shot on the bounce. Really like the reflection of the egg in the worktop and the egg white strings that look like they're holding the egg up. As you say, maybe a little dark on top but it doesn't detract from the overall effect of the shot [emoji4]

Hi John. This was one of my initial ideas but didn't really have anywhere suitable to start throwing eggs about hahaha. The fact that you got a shot of it bouncing is awesome. (y) I love it.

I'm sure if you asked my wife she would also say there is nowhere suitable to throw eggs about........sssshhhh don't tell her. I think the fact I got it bouncing was more luck than judgment but I'll take it, thanks for taking the time to comment.

Nice! Great job catching the mid-air shot on the bounce. Really like the reflection of the egg in the worktop and the egg white strings that look like they're holding the egg up. As you say, maybe a little dark on top but it doesn't detract from the overall effect of the shot [emoji4]

I'm beginning to wonder if you would notice the strings as much if the top was lighter, many thanks for your kind words and taking the time to stop by and comment.

HI John

Cracking shot for Bliss...no crit at all from me on the edited version just a mahoosive :clap::clap:

Fragile....great idea & well shot....the important bit , where the impact is , looks sharp enough to me , like the reflection & that you can see the white leaking out , crop works better...just needs a tiny cloning session to tidy the bg (y)

Hats off to you for this shot (fragile) looks pretty good to me.

Well captured and I like the reflection of the cracks as well.

Excellent stuff John, I'm playing catch up as a late starter, trying to decide if I had the time to do 52, but thought pushing me out of my comfort zone could only be good???...

Bliss..... I can see great minds think alike ;). I quite like the lighting here nice fringes of light around the edge of the bottle and through the glass, like the highlight running down the LH side of the bottle and the light and shadow running down the label. Nice reflection in the bottom of the shot and like the way that it's cropped and not a continuous reflection. Nice condensation, and I like the offset of the bottle in the frame, hope the bottles empty now;).

Fragile..... Wow you've either got a very understanding wife or you did it while she was out. I know where my wife would have shoved those eggs and there wouldn't have been any bounce up there!:eek:.
Really brilliant shot, I am assuming you were shooting continuous else you'd have used up half the eggs in the uk.
I like that the top of the egg is in shadow it add a certain something to the shot, I like the graduated light as it runs down the egg. Really like the fracturing of the egg shell at the base and the fluid leaking out onto the surface. To top it all a great reflection in the surface great timing and luck before the eggs ran out;).
Well shot, nice work!

Yeah, that's a brilliant shot for Fragile, John. I wouldn't have a scooby about how to capture a shot like that: I've never tried fast action stuff and all of my photography is of static or nearly static (e.g. people walking is about as fast as it gets!)

Everything good has been mentioned: nice black background (not sure if there's been an edit but I can't see any distractions?), great reflections, nice light on the albumen and the lighting on the egg itself is different. No negatives for me! :clap:

Hi, Bliss, difficult subject and a difficult object to light but you have handled it very well got to say i dread taking pictures of glass

Fragile, thats really well done, who'd have thought eggs bounce, well done for catching it a a perfect moment, excellent take on the theme
second version is better too (y)

HI John

Cracking shot for Bliss...no crit at all from me on the edited version just a mahoosive :clap::clap:

Fragile....great idea & well shot....the important bit , where the impact is , looks sharp enough to me , like the reflection & that you can see the white leaking out , crop works better...just needs a tiny cloning session to tidy the bg (y)

Nice images, I especially like the one of the bottle of beer. :)

Hats off to you for this shot (fragile) looks pretty good to me.

Edit is much better for me. You've really captured the impact and the detail in the crack is well captured.

Cheers.

Well captured and I like the reflection of the cracks as well.

Liking this a lot, the working that must have taken place to get the egg bounce in the right direction, good job, no yolk

Excellent stuff John, I'm playing catch up as a late starter, trying to decide if I had the time to do 52, but thought pushing me out of my comfort zone could only be good???...

Bliss..... I can see great minds think alike ;). I quite like the lighting here nice fringes of light around the edge of the bottle and through the glass, like the highlight running down the LH side of the bottle and the light and shadow running down the label. Nice reflection in the bottom of the shot and like the way that it's cropped and not a continuous reflection. Nice condensation, and I like the offset of the bottle in the frame, hope the bottles empty now;).

Fragile..... Wow you've either got a very understanding wife or you did it while she was out. I know where my wife would have shoved those eggs and there wouldn't have been any bounce up there!:eek:.
Really brilliant shot, I am assuming you were shooting continuous else you'd have used up half the eggs in the uk.
I like that the top of the egg is in shadow it add a certain something to the shot, I like the graduated light as it runs down the egg. Really like the fracturing of the egg shell at the base and the fluid leaking out onto the surface. To top it all a great reflection in the surface great timing and luck before the eggs ran out;).
Well shot, nice work!

Yeah, that's a brilliant shot for Fragile, John. I wouldn't have a scooby about how to capture a shot like that: I've never tried fast action stuff and all of my photography is of static or nearly static (e.g. people walking is about as fast as it gets!)

Everything good has been mentioned: nice black background (not sure if there's been an edit but I can't see any distractions?), great reflections, nice light on the albumen and the lighting on the egg itself is different. No negatives for me! :clap:

Hi, Bliss, difficult subject and a difficult object to light but you have handled it very well got to say i dread taking pictures of glass

Fragile, thats really well done, who'd have thought eggs bounce, well done for catching it a a perfect moment, excellent take on the theme
second version is better too (y)

Many thanks for all taking the time to stop by and comment I appreciate it. Some great feedback and some very kind comments, I'm definitely learning new techniques along the way, I just hope I have the same motivation come week 52.

:ty:

Back