Kase k9 or formatt Hitec?

TCR4x4

Wishes he had a couple more Inches
Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking to get a new filter system. I have a lee 100 kit, but I want a polariser and it looks cheaper to buy a whole new kit than buy the 105mm polariser and holder for my current kit.

So the kase or hitech? Both are similar price. I have a hitech firecrest 10 stop that I’m happy with, so I know formatt are good, but I’ve seen good things about kase gear too.
Anyone tried both?

Edited to add its for a fuji xt1 system with the 10-24mm

Last edited:
Kase, had the 85mm format filters and had no issues but the Kase ones have a few nice touches - the polariser fixes to the adaptor via magnets. It can be used without the holder and just sticks in- no need to unscrew it. The ND filters for Kase are long so there is part sticking out the holder like grad filters do to aid extraction. Holder is smaller and lighter, the gasket is attached to the holder not the filter and thier filters bounce - i have accidently tested it
I had to switch sizes due to vignetting on the 10-24 fuji

Ordered a case k9 kit on eBay for £118. I‘ll sell my lee holder, adapters and maybe the grads as I rarely use them after Xmas probably.

I'll definitely be interested in the Lee ND Grads as i've just osted a WANTED for a set - please keep me in mind.

I'll definitely be interested in the Lee ND Grads as i've just osted a WANTED for a set - please keep me in mind.
Sure. I’ve only got the 0.6 and 0.9 hard grads left I think. I sold the rest a long time ago. I had the full set of soft and hards.

Have you considered Nisi?

Yea I looked at their set, but it was a bit more expensive. I noticed they had a “landscape” polariser with their kit, I’m not sure what the difference is to a normal one. For my use I doubt the quality improvement if any would benefit the extra cost anyway.

@TCR4x4 I wouldn't use a polariser on a wide-angle lens, the effect doesn't work properly and skies especially end up looking stupid

Dave

I’m aware of the effect of darkening skies one side and not the other, but I won’t be shooting skies. I need it to dampen reflections on water and foliage in the forest.

Yea I looked at their set, but it was a bit more expensive. I noticed they had a “landscape” polariser with their kit, I’m not sure what the difference is to a normal one. For my use I doubt the quality improvement if any would benefit the extra cost anyway.
Ok.

I’m aware of the effect of darkening skies one side and not the other, but I won’t be shooting skies. I need it to dampen reflections on water and foliage in the forest.
I tend to use the 24mm end of the 10-24 so on the crop sensor its less of an issue but likewise use it more for foliage.
Your Lee grads will fit the Kase filter holder so I would not be in too much of a hurry to off load - replace when broken - I had to go the whole hog as the 85mm filters wont fit even if i tried to bodge it

I dont really use grads any more. They aren't any good in woodland, which is where I am 90% of the time. I genuinely can't remember the last time I used them.

I may also have some lee grads to sell.

I have a post in the Wanted section if you can reply to that to keep things above board ;) i'm in the market though

Ordered a case k9 kit on eBay for £118. I‘ll sell my lee holder, adapters and maybe the grads as I rarely use them after Xmas probably.
Have heard the stuff from eBay doesn't have any serial numbers, is this true?

Not sure. I’ll look tomorrow If I can find the box. Was shrink wrapped and looked genuine, but who knows.

Most odd. There has been something cut out of the outside of the box with a scalpel but like I said, it was shrink wrapped over the top of it.

20200108_205055.jpg

Yep, thats interesting, it appears something is afoot there.

Back