L-Mount Alliance Owners Thread

I'm not sure if I read it in this thread or not about someone wanting a new genuine S5 battery? UK Digital have them in stock, received mine today. I've dealt with UK Digital loads and they're always top class service.

Just as an aside, does anyone have a non genuine S5 battery? I got one but it won't charge in the Lumix charger, although it will when you charge it in the body but I don't like that, wondered if anyone else had this problem?

I bought these Newmowa batteries and they work fine in the S5 and GH5. I've not tried charging them in camera yet, I've just been using the charger that came with them. I've not stressed the Newmowa batteries in use yet, but initial impressions are good.

I got chance to get out to Glencoe on Saturday morning in less than ideal conditions, but it gave me chance to get more time in with the S5. The 20-60 kit lens is just great! Certainly tested out the weather sealing, and got to push the dynamic range a fair bit as it was just too wet for filter work. Getting more and more impressed with it the more times I get to use it!

The Buachaille by Martin Steele, on Flickr

The Buachaille and the Coupall by Martin Steele, on Flickr

A river runs through it by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Slowly considering getting the S5 to play with, maybe. It's good to read the experiences on this thread!

I've no issues with mine so far.

I'm considering using it for some pet photography so need to see how it handles pet / eye detection over the coming weeks (family and friend pets not commercial).

I've noticed a lot of the YouTubers use a 70-200 m lens for this type of photography (I don't have one) so will have to see how I get on with what I have (20-60 / 50 / 85 mm).

Anyone have the 105 sigma macro lens for their l-mount camera?

Is the FPS around 7 on the S5? I think my G9 will be faster (IRC it's about 20 or something).

Last edited:
85mm prime would be my choice for doing that sort of photography, but then it's one of my favoured focal lengths full stop. Whilst the 70-200 is certainly more versatile, it's not the be all and end all, plus, go different, forge your own path to your own style instead.

As an aside, the 70-300 L mount after just spending a week on Skye with it is absolutely superb, and cheaper than either of the 70-200's from Lumix.

Cheers @Steelo

I'm just getting my head around the focusing. I've read and watched numerous videos (Inc the Lumix academy ones) and it appears with AFC I'm capped at around 5 FPS. So with my tiny little dog running after a toy and running back to me, some of the shots are blurry (green box on the dog, tracking mode and AFC just as Lumix suggest). So then I started reading and watching about the 6k, 30 FPS mode and I'm going to play around with that over the next few days :)

A couple of images from my recent Skye trip, all taken with the S5 and 20-60 or 70-300... Very very impressed with how clean images are using higher ISO's, far better than my old A7R2, as is the dynamic range and everything else too!

The full set is in the Landscape section... https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/yet-another-skye-set.736072/#post-9115078

Eilean Donan Castle by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Skye Sea Cave by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Old Man of Storr from Loch Fada by Martin Steele, on FlickrThe Cuillin by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Just received the Viltrox EF-L adapter, tested it very quickly on my Canon EF 200mm 2.8 and the S5 and happy to report that it works, and better than the lens works adapted on my X-T4. IBIS et al, bar a-fc that is. Happy. It'll likely be the same with my EF-S lenses except we'll see how I feel about crop mode.

85mm prime would be my choice for doing that sort of photography, but then it's one of my favoured focal lengths full stop. Whilst the 70-200 is certainly more versatile, it's not the be all and end all, plus, go different, forge your own path to your own style instead.

As an aside, the 70-300 L mount after just spending a week on Skye with it is absolutely superb, and cheaper than either of the 70-200's from Lumix.
The 85mm is on my top list too. Was checking the prices just this morning.

The 85mm is on my top list too. Was checking the prices just this morning.
Although I have it covered with the 70-300, and it is a lovely sharp lens, I'm still considering buying the 85 anyhow, as I love primes :)

I'm going to watch this thread, in the very back of my mind is the desire to get an S5. and eradicate the R5..

I'm going to watch this thread, in the very back of my mind is the desire to get an S5. and eradicate the R5..
I love mine so much I'm almost considering buying another so I have 2 bodies. I switched from the Sony A7R2 and don't regret it at all.

Do they still make the S1R?

Assuming not as WEX don't stock nor order it in anymore, but there's still plenty other places to get one from. A mate just bought one recently.

My 85mm fetish got the better of me and it arrived today :D

Assuming not as WEX don't stock nor order it in anymore, but there's still plenty other places to get one from. A mate just bought one recently.

My 85mm fetish got the better of me and it arrived today :D

The GAS is strong here :D

Edit - you are right

Tempted as I really liked the one I tried out. Reassuringly solid. DR looks insanely good as well.

Last edited:
The GAS is strong here :D

Edit - you are right

Tempted as I really liked the one I tried out. Reassuringly solid. DR looks insanely good as well.
I know you like the higher megapixel count, and so if it handles as nicely as the S5 does, you can't lose! I still just love the ergonomics of the S5, and other than the mp count, the S5 takes all the good parts of the S1/r and puts it into a more hybrid camera if you believe what the reviewers say, and I read a LOT of them before deciding to jump from Sony, and don't regret it one little bit. I have normal greens again :ROFLMAO:

Well the S1R I looked at was mint, really nice but massive. Didn't buy it in the end as I don't think I need it, or would do it justice. Did get the 85 mm 1.8 though.
I am off and on about these - I really like them and they are in stock in retailers....

I really don't need another camera system but there is something about these giving me major GAS

Last edited:
I looked at a mint S1R at Wex not long ago, was about £1.6k and 2k shutter count. Lovely big camera and quality was amazing. I am just holding off buying anything until we see what all the camera brands are going to release and how it impacts existing models.

For example, if Lumix alters their autofocus, will this be for new cameras only, or will they update older models also? Who knows hey.

I've also had a play with the R6 which I thought was great and the Sony A7IV and A9 thingy, but they are tiny for me, can barely get my hands around the camera and in-between the lens. Not much room for bigger hands on those

Last edited:
S1R and Z9 to me look the best mirrorless bodies - I like larger controls and spaces between the buttons. Cold fingers and small controls don't do well with how I work.

Some of the L mount lens's look good, but it's a narrower system with less options than the Z mount (if you like zooms like me) but 16-35,. 24-70 and 70-200 is there with the Panasonic - but the lens's don't seem as well reviewed as the Nikon Z7's - but there are expensive Leica options which are probably superior. There is also the lack of grey import on the FF lenses - which bothers me slightly.

It's very clear Pentax won't do the 100mp 645z, and the Fuji MF lens line up isn't quite there for me so it's at some stage another 35mm system. The S1r has a pixel shift high res 187mp file raw mode - which has piqued my interests massively.

Last edited:
I got on well with my Sony's, but I didn't realise just how 'clunky' they are to use until I got the S5.

Some of the L mount lens's look good, but it's a narrower system with less options than the Z mount (if you like zooms like me) but 16-35,. 24-70 and 70-200 is there with the Panasonic - but the lens's don't seem as well reviewed as the Nikon Z7's - but there are expensive Leica options which are probably superior. There is also the lack of grey import on the FF lenses - which bothers me slightly.

They maybe aren't as well reviewed as the Nikon glass, probably to do with a lot less users maybe, but considering I only have the S glass and not the S Pro, the S Pro glass must be immense as I'm really pleased with what I have, the 70-300 especially, it is mega sharp throughout, every bit as good, if not better than my Sony 70-200 G Master, and reviews say the S Pro glass is a step beyond again.

I got on well with my Sony's, but I didn't realise just how 'clunky' they are to use until I got the S5.

They maybe aren't as well reviewed as the Nikon glass, probably to do with a lot less users maybe, but considering I only have the S glass and not the S Pro, the S Pro glass must be immense as I'm really pleased with what I have, the 70-300 especially, it is mega sharp throughout, every bit as good, if not better than my Sony 70-200 G Master, and reviews say the S Pro glass is a step beyond again.

They're probably fine - stopped down there isn't probably real world much in it. There's loads of Sigma ART stuff and I really rate that.

Anyone got some RAW files from the S1R they care to send on to me so I can pixel peep and see if I like?

I watched some online comparisons between the various 70-200 m options from the various camera brands and the Lumix 70-200 2.8 came top in a number of areas within them, especially image quality.

There isn't a lot of choice but from what I've watched / read all the lenses appear to be good (if not excellent). Usually just the auto focus that lets the reviews down.

I'm really hoping Lumix get some animal eye detection and AF speed / improvement so it can make my life easier taking pictures of the dogs lol. But I have to be honest, I do love the 6k burst mode..

Last edited:
Thought I’d chime in that I’m still loving the S5 with the 20-60, 50 and 85mm. I’ve just added the 35 which I’m using a lot for trips to London for street as my only lens. It’s worth noting there are significant AF improvements when using this lens specifically. I have no idea why. It hunts significantly less and there’s no video breathing.

I’ll be looking for a second body before the year is out so an S1R or H are too of my list. As I’m largely vídeo focussed of course the H is the obvious answer but that higher MP count would come in handy on occasion because I am finding I’m getting roped in to more stills projects.

Used my S5 on a wedding yesterday, my T4+3 were still present but I wanted to give the S5 a chance, with the 24-70 2.8 that Sigma sent me.

One battery lasted absolutely ages, and the camera performed superbly other than a couple of freezes that I've seen using other brands too and is resolved with a quick battery removal and reinstall.

The AF was spot on and honestly it really gives my current main set up a run for it's money. I'll likely get a flash and a spare battery and use it on more jobs. Poor old T3 might become the spare and the T4 will be looking over it's shoulder in the hope of not being replaced with another S5. I do love my Fujifilm gear though.

I've got a Godox V860III-0 on the way to use with my S5.

If any of you are using this combo, feel free to let us know how you get on with it. (I've been using Godox flashes for years with my Fujifilm kit)

I got chance to get out to Glencoe on Saturday morning in less than ideal conditions, but it gave me chance to get more time in with the S5. The 20-60 kit lens is just great! Certainly tested out the weather sealing, and got to push the dynamic range a fair bit as it was just too wet for filter work. Getting more and more impressed with it the more times I get to use it!

The Buachaille by Martin Steele, on Flickr

The Buachaille and the Coupall by Martin Steele, on Flickr

A river runs through it by Martin Steele, on Flickr
Fabulous set

I use the S5 & 20-60 mainly to shoot little bits of video or stick in the bag as my one camera one lens when I am hiking. A few days ago though I was out shooting a woodland and used both my canon Eos R & the S5 whilst taking images. I stuck a little video together and found the images I used most were from the Panny. Strangely I wandewred back to Canon because I have always loved the colour science - I'll be hoinest though at times the S5 outshines nthe Eos R in everything apart from definition... I wonder when that is the 20-60 lens or just the slightly lower megpixel count? This is the S5 with the 20-60.Low down dirty and stinking _1037200.jpg

I use the S5 & 20-60 mainly to shoot little bits of video or stick in the bag as my one camera one lens when I am hiking. A few days ago though I was out shooting a woodland and used both my canon Eos R & the S5 whilst taking images. I stuck a little video together and found the images I used most were from the Panny. Strangely I wandewred back to Canon because I have always loved the colour science - I'll be hoinest though at times the S5 outshines nthe Eos R in everything apart from definition... I wonder when that is the 20-60 lens or just the slightly lower megpixel count? This is the S5 with the 20-60.View attachment 352583
That's gorgeous! Funnily enough I had a quick wander to my local woodland with wild garlic this afternoon after work. Will go back tomorrow when the light isn't so harsh. Whilst the 20-60 is a good lens, it's the weakest in my kit alongside the 85mm and 70-300.

Thanks Martin. Can I ask what lens you use to shoot landscapes with your Panasonic ?

Thanks Martin. Can I ask what lens you use to shoot landscapes with your Panasonic ?

Sure thing, my kit consists of the 20-60mm, 70-300mm and 85mm all Lumix S lenses. I've only had the 85mm a week or so, so not had a great deal of time to use that yet. The 20-60, whilst not perfect, really isn't bad at all, it exceeded my expectations, plus 20mm is another favourite focal length, so really pleased with my set up.

Sure thing, my kit consists of the 20-60mm, 70-300mm and 85mm all Lumix S lenses. I've only had the 85mm a week or so, so not had a great deal of time to use that yet. The 20-60, whilst not perfect, really isn't bad at all, it exceeded my expectations, plus 20mm is another favourite focal length, so really pleased with my set up.
Thanks. I had the sigma 100-400 but sold it when I decided to just keep the S5 & the 20-60. I have heard differing reports on the 70-300 & the 85 is not something I feel I would use. I would like to try another wide angle (possibly premium) to compare it to the 20-60.

Thanks. I had the sigma 100-400 but sold it when I decided to just keep the S5 & the 20-60. I have heard differing reports on the 70-300 & the 85 is not something I feel I would use. I would like to try another wide angle (possibly premium) to compare it to the 20-60.
Yeah I keep thinking about trying the 16-35, but then I don't shoot that wide. Sigma 20mm prime is very appealing for me next tbh, as I just love to shoot primes.

Back