Leaving dslr

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
I’ve owned a canon 6d for a few years now and shot over a hundred weddings plus various other stuff with it. As I no longer shoot weddings and only use it for personal I’d like to downscale to either a good compact or mirrorless that’s smaller and hS a near equal image quality if that’s possible. Any recommendations?

Fujifilm X-Pro cameras are very compact and light, and really nice quality images.

I’ve owned a canon 6d for a few years now and shot over a hundred weddings plus various other stuff with it. As I no longer shoot weddings and only use it for personal I’d like to downscale to either a good compact or mirrorless that’s smaller and hS a near equal image quality if that’s possible. Any recommendations?

You might want to have a look at this very similar thread. https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/mirrorless-what-camera.702969/

To get similar image quality and low light performance etc. in a mirrorless camera you will need to have a look at what is available from the manufacturers that produce full frame mirrorless. Panaonic, Sony, Canon or Nikon.

Panasonic options will be heavier than your 6d.

Sony are the current market leaders in terms of the capability of both their current range of cameras and lens choice, there are several lens options for the system that are small and light weight or if you need the ultimate image quality they can offer lens options for that too, although those lenses won't offer much of a weight saving against dslr equivalents. You also have the option of using your existing Canon lenses with an adaptor like the MC-11.

Canon would allow you to keep your existing lenses and use via their adaptor.

Nikon have probably the best ergonomics of any of the current available full frame mirrorless systems, but limited native lens options at the moment.

All of the current ranges of mirrorless full frame cameras are better cameras than your 6d.

If you are happy enough to drop down to an inferior APSC sensor, Fuji, Nikon, Sony & Canon all have mirrorless APSC options. APSC lenses are generally smaller and lighter so there is a further weight saving to be had here. For APSC Fuji have the best range of lenses.

To get the ultimate light weight set up you could also look at Panasonic and Olympus M43 but you will lose a lot of sensor performance.

Last edited:
To get similar image quality and low light performance etc. in a mirrorless camera you will need to have a look at what is available from the manufacturers that produce full frame mirrorless. Panaonic, Sony, Canon or Nikon...

If you are happy enough to drop down to an inferior APSC sensor, Fuji, Nikon, Sony & Canon all have mirrorless APSC options. APSC lenses are generally smaller and lighter so there is a further weight saving to be had here. For APSC Fuji have the best range of lenses.

To get the ultimate light weight set up you could also look at Panasonic and Olympus M43 but you will lose a lot of sensor performance.

Is it true that you need FF mirrorless to equal a 6D?

Looking at the comparison tables even the relatively modest APS-C Sony A6000 seems to have the edge but are the DR and other bench test results only really paper advantages? Even my MFT GX80 has a bit more dynamic range than the 6D.

I'm not saying the OP should go MFT or APS-C but as Canon have been behind the cutting edge for some time maybe the smaller systems need a least a quick look at as they may not be such a step down or as inferior as simply comparing sensor sizes may lead us to believe.

PS.
I've just had a look at DX0 and from their results even my Panasonic TZ100 (1" sensor compact) might give the 6D a good fight for sensor performance at least in good light.

Last edited:
Don’t discount the Leica Q
Compact and Superb image quality.

Lee. One thing that attracts me to FF is using old film lenses at their original FoV. It's a cheap and fun little hobby that I get a lot of pleasure out of. I don't know if you'd be interested in using an old cheap 50mm f1.8 or 28mm f2.8 but they can be fun and IMO if going this way a FF mirrorless camera is the best thing to use.

I downsized my 5D and bag of L lenses to a Fuji set up last year and am really pleased with the new kit. I looked at the FF mirrorless options, but although the bodies were smaller, the lenses didn't seem much smaller.

Back