weekly Leebert's 2015 52 - Week 52 - Christmas.

Hi, wouldn't know where to start with this type of pic but I do find it fascinating

Very definitely scenic for me

Well done on getting Lovejoy. i never even got to see it. Good concept to theme.

Really great scenic shot - I wouldn't know how to get a shot like this!

Hi Lee, lovely shot of the comet. I'm with Michelene, I'd love to try this but I wouldn't have a clue how to do it :)

Cracking shot of Lovejoy Lee. Nice tail detail too. Was this guided? All I have have managed here is a fuzzy blob, the seeing conditions have not been good enough at all to get anything better. Oh and it fits the theme perfectly for me.
Thanks very much for dropping in and commenting. The camera was on a motorised mount but it was free running and not guided. It was taken with a Nikon D5000 and Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro lens. I took 30 qty 15second exposures at ISO1600 and stacked them to reduce noise and increase detail. This was done using a free piece of automatic software called "Deep Sky Stacker".

I did take a photo on a static tripod too but, because of the short exposures and my camera's noise at it's highest ISO of 6400 the resulting photo wasn't great. I better quality camera that could go with a higher ISO would probably produce quite a reasonable photo.

Hi, wouldn't know where to start with this type of pic but I do find it fascinating

Very definitely scenic for me
Thank you for popping by and commenting. It is much appreciated.

Scenic - a cracking shot, I wouldn't know how to do something like this. So I don't feel I am able to offer any crit.
Thank you for your comment (y)

Well done on getting Lovejoy. i never even got to see it. Good concept to theme.
Thank you. It's still about if you have dark skies and a pair of binoculars.

Fragile - eggsellent idea
Scenic - really really like this, well done!
Thank you for commenting :)

Really great scenic shot - I wouldn't know how to get a shot like this!
Thank you for taking the time to comment. It is possible to photograph especially if you have a camera with a high ISO capability.

Hi Lee, lovely shot of the comet. I'm with Michelene, I'd love to try this but I wouldn't have a clue how to do it :)
Thanks for commenting. You can use a normal camera and kit lens. An 18-55 would be okay at 55mm. Use the highest ISO and set the lens to wide open. Exposure time depends on the lens focal length and sensor size. For a cropped sensor, divide 400 by the lens focal length to get the maximum exposure time... 400/55=approx 7 seconds. Find out where your chosen target is (Here is the comet location - http://www.heavens-above.com/comet.aspx?cid=C/2014 Q2&lat=0&lng=0&loc=Unspecified&alt=0&tz=UCT), focus the camera at infinity (on a bright star for instance) and take 30 to 50 photos using a cable release and pop them into Deep Sky Stacker. Finally, do this on a night with no moon to wash out the comet.

Best of luck! (y)

Ok I'll say it, that really is a Marmite shot :D

Fits the theme its nicely focused and presented :)

Yep it's going to be one of those love it or hate it shots :)

Fits in well with the theme.

I think that a therapist could make quite a bit from this image. I think that it meets the theme very well, and although, as some have said, it is slightly staged, it works. A few contributors have rightly got at me about presentation so I would suggest that the label on the top of the jar could have been removed or alternatively the image might have been taken at a slightly lower elevation to take the eye away from it. But that is nit picking on my part! If you want a really geeky comment, the Marmite jar should be positioned after the butter and knife in the workflow of the process .. just joking of course!

ugh marmite! lol

very good shot though, lighting is well done and the collection of stuff is not too busy - just right I think

Hi, well presented, don't care if it's staged because it was, submission.

Only crit I have is it's a little underexposed.

I mate Marmite :)

Cheers.

Thank you all for dropping in and commenting - it is much appreciated (y)

Ok I'll say it, that really is a Marmite shot :D

Fits the theme its nicely focused and presented :)
Thanks for popping by and commenting (y)

Yep it's going to be one of those love it or hate it shots :)

Fits in well with the theme.
Thank you. I did wonder what comments I would receive. No death threats yet :D

Hi Lee ... Marmite and toast perfect companions :)
I do feel it looks a bit too staged, I'd like it to look a bit more messy! But an excellent choice for the theme.
Thank you for commenting. The first time I set it up there were crumbs everywhere and the knife was stuffed into the butter. I wasn't happy with how it looked so I tidied it up! On a normal Sunday morning, the kitchen is usually a bit of a tip after I've been there :eek:

Companions - fits the theme........ But marmite is not to my liking lol. I don't like the stuff, but a well composed image.
Many thanks for taking the time to comment.

Companions.

Have to agree it does look staged, having said this i do like it.

Certainly fits the theme.. Well Done
Thank you (y)

I think that a therapist could make quite a bit from this image. I think that it meets the theme very well, and although, as some have said, it is slightly staged, it works. A few contributors have rightly got at me about presentation so I would suggest that the label on the top of the jar could have been removed or alternatively the image might have been taken at a slightly lower elevation to take the eye away from it. But that is nit picking on my part! If you want a really geeky comment, the Marmite jar should be positioned after the butter and knife in the workflow of the process .. just joking of course!
Interesting - Thank you. I hadn't thought about a lower viewpoint. Something for me to consider next time I take a similar shot. Thank you for the positioning comment. Marmite on toast workflow has to be perfect :)

ugh marmite! lol

very good shot though, lighting is well done and the collection of stuff is not too busy - just right I think
Thank you for your comments considering, If I'm honest, I rushed this a bit. Lighting was just the on camera flash.

Hi, well presented, don't care if it's staged because it was, submission.

Only crit I have is it's a little underexposed.

I mate Marmite :)

Cheers.
Thank you for your comment. It was just with the on camera flash and, looking at it again, I agree it does look a bit "harsh".

Hi Lee

Companions...oh yes , thick white toast , lashings of butter & topped off with scrummy marmite (y) All nice n sharp but not quite " real" if you get my drift , the lighting is just a little too harsh giving an almost cut out/paste on effect , the layout a little too staged....sorry :(

Elegant.....like that , simple & effective , lighting suits ,, a little harsh in a couple of places but that st serves to emphasize the curves (y)

Scenic....no crit just :notworthy::notworthy:...that's awesome :clap:

I hated 'companions', but then some people will love it. ;)

Elegant: Shapely and smooth. Good

Elegant fits the theme but I'd like to see a bit more light in some places and less where it's overexposed. Love the square crop (y) really suits it.

Loving the low key-ness of your elegant shot.

Great idea for the companions shot. My only niggle there (apart from the fact that it's Marmite...urgh) would be that the knife is too clean! :LOL:

Hi Lee

Companions...oh yes , thick white toast , lashings of butter & topped off with scrummy marmite (y) All nice n sharp but not quite " real" if you get my drift , the lighting is just a little too harsh giving an almost cut out/paste on effect , the layout a little too staged....sorry :(

Elegant.....like that , simple & effective , lighting suits ,, a little harsh in a couple of places but that st serves to emphasize the curves (y)

Scenic....no crit just :notworthy::notworthy:...that's awesome :clap:
Thank you for your kind comments :) No need to apologise for your comment on companions - All crit is good crit (y) Thank you for your view.

I hated 'companions', but then some people will love it. ;)

Elegant: Shapely and smooth. Good
Thanks for popping by and commenting (y)

Love the comet image, fantastic capture!
Thank you :)

hi,

elegant - great fit to the theme and well shot too
Thanks for your comment.

Elegant - a lovely shot, nicely lit and composed.
Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Elegant, just enough light and overall good picture
Thanks - the 'Just enough light' effect is what I was going for :)

Elegant fits the theme but I'd like to see a bit more light in some places and less where it's overexposed. Love the square crop (y) really suits it.
Fair point - thank you for commenting. I just liked the way the slightly blown areas emphasised the shape.

Loving the low key-ness of your elegant shot.

Great idea for the companions shot. My only niggle there (apart from the fact that it's Marmite...urgh) would be that the knife is too clean! :LOL:
You have a point re the knife. My first set up was a lot more in keeping with how the bread board looks on a Sunday morning but I thought it was too messy so I cleaned it up. I should have left it!

Hi Lee, that's a cracker for scenic. I've tried a starshot as well and find deepskystacker (whatever it's called!) works well, especially if you take dark frames etc. Only suggestion is to try using a wider angle lens as - I think - it allows you to capture longer exposures without streaking? Not too long to wait till milky way season starts!

Companions - not a fan of the background to be honest (or marmite for that matter!) ... lighting ok, but just feels a bit flat? Maybe more exposure would help?

Elegant works well for me. I actually like the blending of the bottom left (frame-wise) of the sculpture into the background... mysterious even. A larger lightsource wouldn't hurt, but you've done very well with the light you had :)

Scenic - What a cracking idea. Well executed as well. The fact you’ve captured a comet definitely strengthens the image

Companions - Is this what they call a marmite shot? I like it though. It’s got all the elements needed to bring together a fit to the theme.

Elegant - This looks a great example of shape and form, light and shade. The square crop works well with the subject and converting to mono has given a bit of class which suits the elegant theme

Hi Lee, that's a cracker for scenic. I've tried a starshot as well and find deepskystacker (whatever it's called!) works well, especially if you take dark frames etc. Only suggestion is to try using a wider angle lens as - I think - it allows you to capture longer exposures without streaking? Not too long to wait till milky way season starts!

Companions - not a fan of the background to be honest (or marmite for that matter!) ... lighting ok, but just feels a bit flat? Maybe more exposure would help?

Elegant works well for me. I actually like the blending of the bottom left (frame-wise) of the sculpture into the background... mysterious even. A larger lightsource wouldn't hurt, but you've done very well with the light you had :)

Scenic - What a cracking idea. Well executed as well. The fact you’ve captured a comet definitely strengthens the image

Companions - Is this what they call a marmite shot? I like it though. It’s got all the elements needed to bring together a fit to the theme.

Elegant - This looks a great example of shape and form, light and shade. The square crop works well with the subject and converting to mono has given a bit of class which suits the elegant theme

Thank you both for taking the time to comment. It is much appreciated.

A lot going on this week one way or another. That meant no trips out to somewhere watery so an indoor take on the theme it had to be.

A Nikon D5000 with a Tamron 90mm macro lens, a dark kitchen, an off camera flash, a pipet, a black plastic dish and quite a lot of patience got me this...
Not as sharp for the whole DoF than I would have liked but the reflection made up for it for me :)

TP 2015 52. Week 6 - Watery
by MrLeebert, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Oh veeeeery nice Lee. Perfect fir for the theme and love the reflection.
I've never been able to get a decent one of these so hat's off to you :)

As Ruth said, I've never managed to get a decent one.

Getting all the splash in focus would be great, that said, you've done well here. I particularly like the close crop and the rainbow colours.

Cheers.

Very nice Lee, as the others have said, I never have much luck with these either :)

perfect image for theme, can only echo comments of others before me. One on my to do list.

Oh veeeeery nice Lee. Perfect fir for the theme and love the reflection.
I've never been able to get a decent one of these so hat's off to you :)

As Ruth said, I've never managed to get a decent one.

Getting all the splash in focus would be great, that said, you've done well here. I particularly like the close crop and the rainbow colours.

Cheers.

Very nice Lee, as the others have said, I never have much luck with these either :)

Hi Lee

another here who's never managed to get anything decent with water drops so a big (y) for yours ,good reflection & like the little rainbow :)

perfect image for theme, can only echo comments of others before me. One on my to do list.

Watery - very nice I like this, good reflection nice colours. Well done for you being so patient to get this image.

Thank you all for popping by and your kind comments.

The little snippet that works for me is setting up in the light and setting off a drop by squeezing the pipet and following the droplet with my eyes down to the dish below. Once done half a dozen times or so I find I am fairly close to getting the splash about right when the lights are off. As with the Fragile shot, it is taken in the dark with a 1 second exposure and an off camera flash on lowest power to freeze the action. One hand squeezes the pipet, my eye traces the guesstimated path of the droplet and my left hand triggers the flash at hopefully the right moment.

Back