Lenses on credit

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
Does anyone know anywhere that does this? I'd rather pay a little more a month and buy decent gear than scrimp and buy an inferior lens.

That's an idea I might look into. Thanks!

Just wait and save, it's not worth it going into debts if it's just a hobby.

Totally agree although you are only in bother if you miss the payments. If you feel you can meet them no problems then you should go for it but read the small print.

cash all the way, save up and buy it imo

that said, i'm sure a 0% jobby would tempt you :)

I'm quite capable of deciding whether I can afford a credit card, thank you. I'm a big boy now and very good with my money. Like all the cars I've had in the past this will be used for the purchase I need it for then cut up and forgotten about. 0% for 12 months makes perfect sense.

Well financially speaking I think I'd prefer to save cash, earn interest where I can and defer payment of high-priced goods onto a 0% card. As long as you're militant about knowing when you need to pay the minimum off each month, you won't have any problem (and you can put up with the 20 minute chat you have before they'll let you authorize your card - !)

I've done this several times over many years and in fact that's how I was able to get the funds to start up my sideline business.

I recommend it!

I'm quite capable of deciding whether I can afford a credit card, thank you. I'm a big boy now and very good with my money. Like all the cars I've had in the past this will be used for the purchase I need it for then cut up and forgotten about. 0% for 12 months makes perfect sense.

Big boys don't need to ask strange people on a internet forum for financial advise. Big boys would understand the concept of a credit card and draw their own conclusions. Big boys don't get upset if small boys share their opinion about big boys' debts.

Well, I've always saved for what I wanted, then bought. But now, interest rates are dire for savers and there are plenty of good deals available on the credit cards if you have a good credit limit.

Get credit card with 0% 12 month
Buy something
divide the cost of the item by the number of months you have 0% available for
Immediately setup a direct debit for the monthly repayment required to finalise the bill at the end of the 0% agreement.

Sorted.

Debt isn't bad, uncontrolled debt is.

Well, I've always saved for what I wanted, then bought. But now, interest rates are dire for savers and there are plenty of good deals available on the credit cards if you have a good credit limit.

Buy something
Immediately setup a direct debit for the monthly repayment required to finalise the bill at the end of the 0% agreement.

Sorted.

Now that makes sense.
C

Big boys don't need to ask strange people on a internet forum for financial advise. Big boys would understand the concept of a credit card and draw their own conclusions. Big boys don't get upset if small boys share their opinion about big boys' debts.

I didn't ask for financial advice. I asked if anyone knew of anywhere that did credit on lenses. The financial advice was offered freely. I apologise for getting irked by some of the comments.

Buy something

Sorted.

Exactly. If 'debt' was such a bad thing only a tiny minority of us would be buying our own house.

try and save - you wont enjoy making the repayments in 6 months time when the lens's initial appeal has worn off.

tbh, the monthly price of a £1k lens over a year you wouldn't even notice going out each month

I'm not even talking top end lenses here, just the equivalent of what I used to pay per month to feed my golf habit. I'm not going to stick a 1K lens on a refurbed 350D!

Good call on the cashback though, ta.

If he wants to buy good gear and that is his option for getting it now i'm sure he knows what he is doing so yes go for it. I reckon a hell of a lot of people on here got their gear this way. Saving is ok but if it's expensive gear he could be without it for ages, Life is short. Get it now and enjoy :)

If he wants to buy good gear and that is his option for getting it now i'm sure he knows what he is doing so yes go for it. I reckon a hell of a lot of people on here got their gear this way. Saving is ok but if it's expensive gear he could be without it for ages, Life is short. Get it now and enjoy :)

Exactly. :)

Buy something

Sorted.

Excellent post............(y)

Exactly. If 'debt' was such a bad thing only a tiny minority of us would be buying our own house.
To segue this - and this is not a comment on the OP or anyone here.

It is precisely because credit was given to all and sundry that the sub-prime crisis occurred and brought the international banking system to it's knees. And don't think that it was a US problem either, for while many of the big banks were hit by foreign debt investments, both Northern Rock and B&B went bump due to the large number of sub-primes they held in this country.

although I agree with you I'm sure the economy can handle me borrowing a couple of hundred quid. ;)

If it can't we're all in the sh...

LOL at some of the responses here.

Give Warehouse Express a ring, they'll do 0% finance over 12 months on anything over 300 quid I think the limit is. I've bought loads of stuff off them using this system. They'll send you the forms straight away - fill them in and send them back and you'll have the goods in about 3 days - tops! I almost always do this, even if I've got the readies - why not?

Just make sure you have the money ready to pay it off at the end of 12 months or it automatically goes onto a 3 years HP contract and it works out expensive!

They used to do an 18 month 0% option too - not sure if they still do.

although I agree with you I'm sure the economy can handle me borrowing a couple of hundred quid. ;)

If it can't we're all in the sh...
I can see the news now .... "Photographer brings the economy to it's knees" :eek:
:razz:

Buy something

Sorted.

wise man.

I would understand it if the OP is buying professional kit for a business but this is just a bit daft in my opinion. Fair enough, OP can do what he wants but to get annoyed if other people have other views is a bit petty.

I would understand it if the OP is buying professional kit for a business but this is just a bit daft in my opinion. Fair enough, OP can do what he wants but to get annoyed if other people have other views is a bit petty.

It is very petty to bring in your opinion when all he asked for was a company who do finance.

As has been said, £1k over 12 months is a drop in the ocean...and he is spending less than that, so it's a few atoms in the ocean. Whether he can afford it or not, is none of your business.

I can't offer any advice other than to check out Warehouse Express, except to say - enjoy :D

Now that makes sense.
C

Excellent post............(y)

wise man.

thanks guys :)

LOL at some of the responses here.

Give Warehouse Express a ring, they'll do 0% finance over 12 months on anything over 300 quid I think the limit is. I've bought loads of stuff off them using this system. They'll send you the forms straight away - fill them in and send them back and you'll have the goods in about 3 days - tops! I almost always do this, even if I've got the readies - why not?

Just make sure you have the money ready to pay it off at the end of 12 months or it automatically goes onto a 3 years HP contract and it works out expensive!

They used to do an 18 month 0% option too - not sure if they still do.

I had a look at the T&C for the Warehouse Express's finance option... It only goes to 6 months for the 0% now, plus there is a £29 settlement fee. At the minimum amount for Finance (£300), that works out as an astronomical APR rate. So my advice is go for that if you're purchasing a camera toy with a four figured asking price.

It's just not worth it for cheap stuff. I can understand it for a car, house or anything between but that is just being stupid. Also it would have been much faster to just google for it. Lazy and strung on cash is what the economy needs! :LOL:

It's just not worth it for cheap stuff. I can understand it for a car, house or anything between but that is just being stupid. Also it would have been much faster to just google for it. Lazy and strung on cash is what the economy needs! :LOL:

Google isn't going to offer him customer reviews, or at least partially trustable ones! ;)

I'm I being thick here? Is that just blatant trolling?

I'm I being thick here? Is that just blatant trolling?

For someone who bought his first DSLR about 2 weeks ago with limited cash you seem to be in desperate need of a new lens. I just think you should wait a bit and save it up.

For someone who bought his first DSLR about 2 weeks ago with limited cash you seem to be in desperate need of a new lens. I just think you should wait a bit and save it up.

I understand what you're saying and I may well wait a little while, but I already have a decent idea of the kind of things I'm going to be into and plan to buy a lens that'll cover most of my options. I might even just go ahead and buy these ;)

But honestly, they are £180 - Warehouseexpress won't even finance items under £300 I thought? Also it seems to me that you are rather confused of what you want (or need) as you said that you want high-quality gear rather than "inferior lenses" and now you're buying two lenses for £180?

Okay, we're at cross purposes here. Maybe I should have been a little clearer in my OP. I was looking at very basic used lenses on ebay. I should have saidhigher quality. ;)

Oh, I'm not going anywhere near Warehouse Express and their 29% APR.

Back