Looking towards Dartmoor.

I have managed to get a lot more time in Dartmoor - any recommendations for places to buy some food and take photos?
Food: Fox Tor Cafe in Princetown, the other cafe in Princetown, Two Bridges Hotel, The Post Office in Postbridge, Warren House Inn, Fingle Bridge Inn (there's plenty of places)
Where to make images: Vennford Falls, Hexworthy, Fingle Glen, Belstone Common, Burrator Reservoir, Meldon Reservoir, Black tor Copse, Tavy Cleave, the Dart valley (either direction) - once again, there's loads of places.

Interesting to note that the National Park are asking people not to go to Wistman's Wood anymore, as the delicate ecosystem is being damaged, quite badly, by the number of people clambering over the rocks and trees.

Used to like the Warren House Inn until they started charging close to beer prices for a pint of orange squash so now carry on past it to Princetown. The Plume of Feathers in Princetown has a large outdoor seating area.

If you're coming up from the A38 and heading towards Haytor, there's Ullacombe Farm café on the left, a mile or 2 before the tor - if you're in a low slung car, take care getting over the hump at the entrance/exit, especially after one of their pies!!!

One of my favourite places on the moor is Huccaby Bridge (PL20 6SB into a satnav will get you there). Not sure what the Forest Inn is like these days - been about 10 years since we ate there!

I have managed to get a lot more time in Dartmoor - any recommendations for places to buy some food and take photos?

Presuming although you have more time you don't want to trek too far from the road...........
Moreton to Tavistock -
Grimspound with Hameldon and Hookney Tors (and Hameldon Cross if you fancy a few steps further). Parking (limited) under the path up to Grimspound. There's usually highland cattle around that area. The grockles can't get enough of them......
Clapper bridge at Postbridge and Bellever
As said please don't go to Wistman's Wood. It'll be mobbed anyway and it'll be fenced soon as no-one seems to be able to understand look but don't touch
Stone rows, circle and menhirs just before you get to Merrivale, just off the road. Sorry - I have a bit of an obsession with history in general but prehistoric in particular
The Staple tors just off the other side of the road the other side of Merrivale if you want another leg stretch
Windypost cross if you want a slightly longer leg stretch
Having gone through Tavistock and heading for Sourton -
The engine house of the old Wheal Betsey mine. The only standing engine house on Dartmoor. Most of the tin mines closed while still running off water wheels
Take another stop at High Down (up a less than obvious track opposite the Lydford turning. It's very pretty - river, stepping stones, clam and if you want a climb Widgery's cross on top of Brai Tor (OS spell it Brat). Not prehistoric this time, it was erected by William Widgery the artist to commemorate Queen Victoria's golden jubilee. Fortunately no-one's done the same for Liz.... It does have a great view though
You won't be alone at any of these places. Just one reason I stay away in summer and it's far more crowded than usual for obvious reasons
Drive slowly, take all litter with you, don't approach the ponies even if they approach you (there's also a major outbreak of strangles) and respect the cows. I'm sure you'll do all these things anyway
As for food, can't help. I'll be as far from roads and people as I can get and fully self sufficient.

Presuming although you have more time you don't want to trek too far from the road...........
Moreton to Tavistock -
Grimspound with Hameldon and Hookney Tors (and Hameldon Cross if you fancy a few steps further). Parking (limited) under the path up to Grimspound. There's usually highland cattle around that area. The grockles can't get enough of them......
Clapper bridge at Postbridge and Bellever
As said please don't go to Wistman's Wood. It'll be mobbed anyway and it'll be fenced soon as no-one seems to be able to understand look but don't touch
Stone rows, circle and menhirs just before you get to Merrivale, just off the road. Sorry - I have a bit of an obsession with history in general but prehistoric in particular
The Staple tors just off the other side of the road the other side of Merrivale if you want another leg stretch
Windypost cross if you want a slightly longer leg stretch
Having gone through Tavistock and heading for Sourton -
The engine house of the old Wheal Betsey mine. The only standing engine house on Dartmoor. Most of the tin mines closed while still running off water wheels
Take another stop at High Down (up a less than obvious track opposite the Lydford turning. It's very pretty - river, stepping stones, clam and if you want a climb Widgery's cross on top of Brai Tor (OS spell it Brat). Not prehistoric this time, it was erected by William Widgery the artist to commemorate Queen Victoria's golden jubilee. Fortunately no-one's done the same for Liz.... It does have a great view though
You won't be alone at any of these places. Just one reason I stay away in summer and it's far more crowded than usual for obvious reasons
Drive slowly, take all litter with you, don't approach the ponies even if they approach you (there's also a major outbreak of strangles) and respect the cows. I'm sure you'll do all these things anyway
As for food, can't help. I'll be as far from roads and people as I can get and fully self sufficient.
All good advice and if you want a preview of most of what Jan has outlined visit my Blog over on ePhotozine (link in my signature).

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Nod
Forgot to say, Brentor church is also a nice location for a decent image, especially if you get dramatic conditions.

Rugglestone Inn just outside Widecombe for the best meal on the moor by a mile.
That's as maybe but the OP doesn't know Dartmoor and has already said he doesn't want too much of a diversion. Widecombe is a big diversion particularly if the lanes are busy. Princetown is on his route.

Food: Fox Tor Cafe in Princetown, the other cafe in Princetown, Two Bridges Hotel, The Post Office in Postbridge, Warren House Inn, Fingle Bridge Inn (there's plenty of places)
Where to make images: Vennford Falls, Hexworthy, Fingle Glen, Belstone Common, Burrator Reservoir, Meldon Reservoir, Black tor Copse, Tavy Cleave, the Dart valley (either direction) - once again, there's loads of places.

Interesting to note that the National Park are asking people not to go to Wistman's Wood anymore, as the delicate ecosystem is being damaged, quite badly, by the number of people clambering over the rocks and trees.
Do they have to climb over them? Can't they just walk round them?
I am not going to find out because I am not going there!

Do they have to climb over them? Can't they just walk round them?
I am not going to find out because I am not going there!

Good man!
No of course they don't have to climb over anything in Wistman's Wood, or even go into it. The path, which leads on towards a part of the moor that most people who go to WW don't know exists) skirts round it. Many years ago there used to signs asking people not to enter the wood and in the main people didn't. Possibly not because of the signs - the DNPA don't allow and signage that is blatently 'visible' as it 'detracts' - but because it was pretty much impenetrable, and dangerous. Social media has made it a 'must see' place, people these days have no respect, they go in and in doing so the mosses that have grown over millenia are destroyed and branches broken off the trees, which make it more easily accessible, so people go further in......... Then there are the 'fly campers' (to distinguish them from true wild campers) who think it's okay to camp there and break off branches for firewood (open fires are banned). It's going to result in it being closed off, and possibly the quarry car park too, which is a PITA for people like me who just want to walk, take photos but don't touch. A similar problem at Piles Copse on the south moor, another ancient oak wood remnant, has led to the closure of the car park at Harford Moorgate. In that case the car park and copse are privately owned. That's meant I'm effectively barred from a huge part of the south moor as they want people to park at Ivybridge station and walk up. 1 - it adds several miles both ways 2 - you have to walk on a narrow lane which if I'm walking off in the dark is dangerous and 3 - the station car park has a limbo bar that my Defender can't get under, making 1 and 2 irrelevant anyway. And all because........... To say I'm not happy is an understatement.

I just want to say thank you to everyone sorry to the OP for hijacking this. I am really excited I just hope the weather holds up and I can also see some interesting insects and birds there (I am more of nature photographer than landscape see here https://www.flickr.com/photos/14586608@N08/ )
I was going to go last year but my car broke down - pushing a car on a very steep hill is an experience I hope never to experience.

That's as maybe but the OP doesn't know Dartmoor and has already said he doesn't want too much of a diversion. Widecombe is a big diversion particularly if the lanes are busy. Princetown is on his route.
I think the lanes will be busy unless it is chucking down with rain.

This is Wistman's Wood from a few years ago, taken from outside. It was raining on and off (mostly on) , and I was there quite early. As I left and walked on further into the moor I looked back and saw a seemingly endless stream of people walking up from the road. Not one of them went further than the wood.Wistmans Wood 130902 05.jpg

Widecombe is a big diversion particularly if the lanes are busy. Princetown is on his route.
I've been to Widecombe only once, and that was on business. There's a reason the visit sticks in my mind...

On the way out of the village, I found a stranded car containing two women, Back to the village to borrow a phone and ring the AA, then back to the women in case they needed help. Three hours later the AA bloke shows up.

Why did it take so long? Some clown had brought a long caravan down the Dunstone lane and jammed it on a bend! :wideyed:

I've been to Widecombe only once, and that was on business. There's a reason the visit sticks in my mind...

On the way out of the village, I found a stranded car containing two women, Back to the village to borrow a phone and ring the AA, then back to the women in case they needed help. Three hours later the AA bloke shows up.

Why did it take so long? Some clown had brought a long caravan down the Dunstone lane and jammed it on a bend! :wideyed:

That doesn't surprise me. Many years ago the tour coaches used to use the lanes between Widecombe and Postbridge. They were fun to meet......not!

I saw recently that the Plume has closed down (hence I didn't list it), a real shame as it was a great place to eat. https://whatpub.com/pubs/PLY/C-01-26/plume-of-feathers-inn-princetown

Many years ago, the bike club I was a part of used to host a camping weekend there on the last weekend in February. Used to get a good turnout from all over the UK. More recently, a few of the charity bike runs over the moor would stop there for lunch but of course, covid has put paid to those for the past year or 2.

Sad to hear the Plume has had to close, hopefully it'll find a buyer when life returns to whatever normal turns out to be.

Love the 'earthy' colours in these images, really nice.

I like the muted colours too. Shot a roll of Velvia on the moor some years back and felt it was wasted - didn't do the moor justice and the moor didn't do the film any favours either!

Is it possible to set the Bronica to shoot 1/2 - 1/3 frames so you can get more pans on a roll?

Is it possible to set the Bronica to shoot 1/2 - 1/3 frames so you can get more pans on a roll?
I wish but no you have to live with only using the center portion of the frame. I tell my lab when they scan expose for the best detail in the centre portion of the frame. I've explained my methodology to them and even sent an example.

Original full frame.

39250006.JPG

PANO cropped in LR 65x24 on the centre of the frame.

Broni PANO Test 03-39250006.jpg

Last edited:
Last time I walked over to Scorhill, we found a sheep that looked to have been killed and eaten by a predator. No pug marks around but my guess would have been big cat. Must have been about 25 years ago.

Thanks for sharing the pix, Paul - always seem to bring back distant memories!

Here's an old shot (from 1992) showing one of Dartmoor's major predators stalking my lunchtime sandwich. I gobbled it down before the brute got to me! :naughty:

Dartmoor pony OM1 1992 99-21.jpg

A couple from this week's Dartmoor ramble around Great and Little Mis Tors.

Mistor Pan.

020 Gt Mis Tor (Devils Frying Pan) 11-0984 PS Adj.JPG

Gt Mis Tor (Northern end).

016 Gt Mis Tor 07-5771 PS Adj.JPG

Little Mis Tor.

006 Little Mis Tor 04-5751 PS Adj.JPG

Western edge of Gt Mis Tor.

034 Gt Mis Tor 25-5791 PS Adj.JPG

There's a more detailed accoutn of the walk on my Blog on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com/user/topsyrm-149719/blog

A similar problem at Piles Copse on the south moor, another ancient oak wood remnant, has led to the closure of the car park at Harford Moorgate. In that case the car park and copse are privately owned. That's meant I'm effectively barred from a huge part of the south moor as they want people to park at Ivybridge station and walk up. 1 - it adds several miles both ways 2 - you have to walk on a narrow lane which if I'm walking off in the dark is dangerous and 3 - the station car park has a limbo bar that my Defender can't get under, making 1 and 2 irrelevant anyway. And all because........... To say I'm not happy is an understatement.
The closure of Harford Moor Gate CP was to do with covid and locals not wanting people there. I agree to say park at Ivybridge Station is ridiculous. You can still park in Harford by St Petrocs Church and walk up the hill.

The closure of Harford Moor Gate CP was to do with covid and locals not wanting people there. I agree to say park at Ivybridge Station is ridiculous. You can still park in Harford by St Petrocs Church and walk up the hill.
That's interesting, I was just planning my next jaunt for next Tuesday. I was going to park at Harford Moor Gate CP and head off up to Ugborough Beacon and Butterdon Hill looks like that plan is scuppered. Anyone know of any safe parking near Ugborough Beacon? I looked at the area by St Petrocs Church, it will be ok if it is empty, @Wayne Els do you know if that is a busy spot?

Back