Mad Frankie's 52 - 2010 - Hello again!

Lynton, thanks I know what you mean. It wasn't intentional but when I'd finished I thought the same thing but couldn't work out what film either :LOL:

Dean, just commented on your thread, I like your pic a lot, as Andy mentioned it does have that arch enemy in jail plotting look to it...

Andy, I spent ages staring at it with and without the black on the right and decided that it gave it a bit more space and made it better but it really was 50/50. As for a nice bunch of people..hummm jurys out :LOL:

Last edited:
Really like the first stare shot, as said it would be a good movie poster, the red certainly gives it a more menacing feel.

Wow. I thought you had problems with the lighting - this is excellent. Has a Marvel or DC comic book look about it. Well done. (y)

Love the dog as well.

With Jenny on the dog. It's OK and fulfills the theme, but it doesn't pack the wallop that the self-portrait does.

Despite it being really dark on my monitor (which is a laptop in full daylight) I really think it works well. Could be a comic or video game cover, especially with the panoramic crop.

Pretty good effort!

Ian.

Thanks guys and gals for all your comments, it's really appreciated. It gives me real confidence that I'm back on track and confidence to get going onto the next topic (y)

Steve, thanks for commenting. The red happened by accident, as I played with the lighting the red light from the remote shutter control came into the shots and I realised it worked better in red than the white I was going for!

Paul, you're bang on, it does have a marvel look to it, I hadn't thought about that until you mentioned it but, now you have...

Jenny, I didn't realise I could make that scary stare, I think it shows me just how much lighting can affect a picture. Also, the dog was just a throw away outtake style shot but as he's my dog he seems to appear in most of my shots ;)

Ian, thats a nice comment thanks, if only I could sell it as a comic or video game cover I'd be able to buy all the photo equipment on my wish list!!! ;)

You were obviously inspired by this week's topic.
Early and a brilliant shot to go with it :clap:

Love the composition - the off centre arrangement is very effective.
Love the lighting - the red might have been an accident, but it's worked brilliantly.
Love the pose - you're scaring me a bit :LOL:

This is my favourite from your 52 so far. It's definitely got that comic / video game feel to it.
Only one little niggle (and I almost feel guilty pointing it out), but there's a little bit of bleed from the red into your right eye (our left). If you could clone that out it would be spot on.

Whoa - scarey - that's a great shot - no idea how you planned/executed it though!

Phil

Sarah, thank you so much for the positive comments. I'm not sure why but this week just 'worked'. I suppose I had a bit more time so could play a little but I hope this is the week to kick start me back onto the 52 theme...

I noticed the thing in the eye but when I tried to clone it out it just looked wrong so I left it in...I'm not sure where it came from or even what it is?!?

Phil, thanks, I surprised myself with the effectiveness of the shot. It was a simple set up really, I set the camera on a tripod, sat infront of it, focused then set to manual. Turned all the lights off so it was a pitch black room and then used the red led from the remote shutter control to light my face. It took quite a few tries to get the light in the right place and distance away but after about shot 30 it seemed to work...

Last edited:
I noticed the thing in the eye but when I tried to clone it out it just looked wrong so I left it in...I'm not sure where it came from or even what it is?!?
It's the transition process between normal nice-guy and scary monster! :LOL:
QUOTE]

Wow - that's some scary stare. :eek::eek::eek: :)

Nice work Gary. I think self portraits are difficult in good light - but in near total darkness? That takes some doing.

I love the composition as it is - if I look long enough I'm sure something devilishly evil will appear over your shoulder. :eek:

If you needed a kick re-start for the 52 this is it in spades. Brilliant. (y)

Jean

I like the first Stare shot Gary, looks more of a PP image than a photo but very scary and you have shown some good processing skills to produce it.

Well done

Thanks Dan, honest truth is that the only PP was a bit of dodge on the eyes and a tiny touch of burn on the forehead to darken it a bit.

The black on the right hand side was an accident too, I actually just wasn't lined up in the shot correctly on one shot but liked the look it gave so just emphasised it on the next few shots.

Everything else was exactly as it came out the camera!

Excellent image Gary and a scary stare to boot. The odd light in the eyes really makes it look more devilish.

Hi guys, please don't move my thread, I've just been veeeery busy of late.

4 countries and 10 UK counties of driving for work and a pregnant wife has meant very little time to do anything let alone photography. I'm back and have a quieter work schedule now so I should be back and catching up soon...

I've missed you guys!

Blimey Gary... that's some serious traveling... welcome back.

Looking forward to the catchup!

Ian.

Back