Mad Frankie's 52 - 2010 - Hello again!

Thanks all, I'm glad you like them. It's always a great encouragement to know others think they are good!

And Andy Warhol, I thought it look more like Hitler, I think I prefer your take!

Spoilt for choice this week!
And a very apt choice of subject coming up to Easter.

I can see why you're struggling to pick a favourite - there's something appealing about each of these.

I like the natural feel of the bottom right image in the first collage you posted - but I also think that painting the eggs was a brilliant idea and love the one of them in the box that you showed large.
I like your "Hitler egg" too. Good reflection in that one.

The only one I'm not too keen on is the left hand one of the pair of shots. It looks a little soft to me and the lighting's not quite there.

Thanks Sarah, and thanks to the rest of you who commented, it's always good to read them all, pros and cons!

Sarah, I agree on the left one, I was playing around with the lighting and couldn't get it quite right with the shiny eggs and shiny mirror. The actual pic was pin sharp but slightly blown out so I softened the eggs in PP to try and mute the effect...

This is almost x-files stuff. I shot the same subject for produce, almost exactly. I used some eggs and placed some feathers around them and i also struggled with lighting! :LOL:

I do think that your B+W egg shot is far better than any of mine though, great job. I think i can just see some specks of dust in there though. Otherwise, perfect.

This is almost x-files stuff. I shot the same subject for produce, almost exactly. I used some eggs and placed some feathers around them and i also struggled with lighting! :LOL:

I do think that your B+W egg shot is far better than any of mine though, great job. I think i can just see some specks of dust in there though. Otherwise, perfect.

That is spooky, in fact come to think of it, we've never been in the same room together either...Are we one and the same person??? Or just both of the same like minded genius :D

Yes there is dust in the shot, I just couldn't keep the mirror clean.

Ok, an ill advised 'little garden project' of shifting a fair few tonnes of soil to create a pond, re-landscape the surrounding area and then shift 3 tonne of gravel to make it all look nice has left me with little time to shoot this weekend so here are 2 from the New Forest today, and one from a few weeks ago that I like), while walking my dog. It went on the quadroped theme...

1) A fallow deer, (I think), has just spotted me sneeking up on her. I think she was the scout as no sooner had she made a gentle movement away from me the rest of the group, (what is the collective term for deer), all made a run for it, all 20 or so of them...

IMG_0381_opt2.jpg

Last edited:
2) I tried to take loads of different horses in sillouette but failed miserably. Here's one of a nice fellow I met a few weeks ago...

IMG_0415_opt3.jpg

3) Finally my favourite but I need a judges ruling on this one. This is my dog posing on a fallen tree, I spent ages getting him to jump on and over it trying to get him with all four legs for the theme but, again, failed miserably. This one he got a bit tired and just leant against the tree.

You can't see all 4 legs but I can say for sure he does have them!

IMG_0477_opt2.jpg

Last edited:
Things I learnt this week

1) Deer are very, very observant creatures. If I want to get a good shot of one I have to be very patient or very quiet. It has also made me appreciate some of the other animal shots on here
2) Good b&w can enhanse the shot, but you need to think about it when you shoot, contrasting colours are a must...
3) I really have to wear my dog out to get him to stay still enough to get a good shot of him!

Last edited:
Love the deer....jealous of all you guys who see deer as although I'm in a rural area we don't get to see them often around here, shame that little bit of oof bush was across the deer but I appreciate you don't get time to move around much for a shot like this....there it was gone!Lovely soft light.

The pony one has to be my favourite lovely focus and such a beautful calm expression on that face....lovely!!!

I can see why the 3rd one is your favourite lovely shot, beautiful warm colours and nice framing with the log, can't see why anyone would have an issue with it being on theme (y)

That's a nice set of shot's for quad (shame you couldn't sneak in another to get quad in two ways:D).

The dear is nicely framed by the left and right foliage it's just a shame about the smaller bit in front of the deer however as has been said sometimes with deer you take what you can get.

It's a nice treatment of your horsey friend the dof is great on it but I would like to have seen either all or a bit less of his/her ears this crop seems to be slightly inbetween, still a nice shot though (y)

That's a cracking shot of your dog, as Sonia says warm and well framed as well as being a beautiful dog, very, very good (y)

I like the deer shot, despite the twig, because the light is lovely and she's looking straight at you. There haven't been too many sunny days just lately - so well done for finding one! :)

Horse: Snap!!!! Again, you got better weather than I did. I shot mine near the Ornamental Drive - Puttles Bridge area, so probably a bit far for her to have wandered from Picket Post, but it's amazing how alike they look. That's a good shot, too, and I like the little dark tuft between her eyes. (y)

Dog shot: He's a gorgeous, handsome boy and I like the way he's looking straight at the camera - and laughing! :D The fallen log and the tree in the background provide an interesting frame, with perfect colours. So all in all, it might not be what you originally wanted, but I'd certainly be pleased with it. (y)

Jean

Attractive images and the last one of the dog is gorgeous. He looks as if he is trying to say "I'll take the photo while you jump over the log!" :D

All three are great shots but I think my favourite is the horse - the black and white works really well and you have captured 'a really nice fellow' expression :clap:

3) I really have to wear my dog out to get him to stay still enough to get a good shot of him!

Now that's a lesson I can really sympathise with :LOL:

There's something special about all 3 of these, although I'm leaning towards the horse as my favourite.
After seeing jean's shot this week, I obviously have a thing about B&W horse images. ;)
But I think the thing that stands out in this one for me is the way that you've filled the frame. While the other 2 are very good shots, the main subject is just a little more distant and doesn't quite have the same impact as the horse shot.

Now this is what I call a late entry to the 52's :D

The Poerty is an interesting concept although the secound with the lighting through the heart shape now makes me think of a fighter plane with the afterburners on :nuts:

The second Chemistry shot works a lot better.

Love the Play shot of the empty swing :clap:

3 great animal shots, but as a dog person thats the winner ......just :D

Wow, thanks all! Looks like I work better under pressure :p

Love the deer....jealous of all you guys who see deer as although I'm in a rural area we don't get to see them often around here

The pony one has to be my favourite lovely focus and such a beautful calm expression on that face....lovely!!!

I do love living where I do, and I know I'm really lucky. 10 minutes one way to the New forest and in the other, the beach! Sometimes I forget about it as it's always there but when I go away I really miss it!

He was a really calm horse, most of them wander away when you get too close but this one slowly wandered towards me and nudged me with his snout after some attention, (or more likely food :LOL:)

Thanks for the comments...

That's a nice set of shot's for quad (shame you couldn't sneak in another to get quad in two ways).

It's a nice treatment of your horsey friend the dof is great on it but I would like to have seen either all or a bit less of his/her ears this crop seems to be slightly inbetween, still a nice shot though

That's a cracking shot of your dog, as Sonia says warm and well framed as well as being a beautiful dog, very, very good

Thanks Rudders, I didn't even think about getting a quad of quads, that would have made much more sense!

I cropped the horse tightly on purpose as I wanted all the focus on the horses face

I suppose I'm a bit biased as it's my dog but I think he's beautiful too. He does play on it sometimes and seems to get anyone to stroke him!

Horse: Snap!!!! Again, you got better weather than I did. I shot mine near the Ornamental Drive - Puttles Bridge area, so probably a bit far for her to have wandered from Picket Post, but it's amazing how alike they look. That's a good shot, too, and I like the little dark tuft between her eyes.

Jean

Now that's one area I've not been to yet, the Ornamental Drive area as it's a fair drive with no main access from the A31. I do keep meaning to go to the deer sanctuary as well but haven't got round to it. Is it a nice area for photos?

Thanks for you comments (y)

Attractive images and the last one of the dog is gorgeous. He looks as if he is trying to say "I'll take the photo while you jump over the log!"

Almost spot on, he's actually saying, 'if you think I'm jumping over that log you can bugger off, however I'll be happy to just lean here and pose for you for a while...' He has got an ability to be in the middle of most of the photos I take! :naughty:

All three are great shots but I think my favourite is the horse - the black and white works really well and you have captured 'a really nice fellow' expression

Thanks, he really was the most placid New Forest horse I've ever met...He even stood and had a sniff of my dog rather than move away like the others do

Now that's a lesson I can really sympathise with

There's something special about all 3 of these, although I'm leaning towards the horse as my favourite.
After seeing jean's shot this week, I obviously have a thing about B&W horse images.
But I think the thing that stands out in this one for me is the way that you've filled the frame. While the other 2 are very good shots, the main subject is just a little more distant and doesn't quite have the same impact as the horse shot.

Thanks Sarah, that's exactly what I was going for, I'm really glad you like it! :clap:

Now this is what I call a late entry to the 52's

The Poerty is an interesting concept although the secound with the lighting through the heart shape now makes me think of a fighter plane with the afterburners on

The second Chemistry shot works a lot better.

Love the Play shot of the empty swing

3 great animal shots, but as a dog person thats the winner ......just

Thanks Scott, only 10 weeks late :LOL: I've been trying to catch up a bit but want to get nice shots not just ones for the sake of catching up if you know what I mean...

Thanks for commenting, it's great to hear any comments, it really helps!

3) Finally my favourite but I need a judges ruling on this one. This is my dog posing on a fallen tree, I spent ages getting him to jump on and over it trying to get him with all four legs for the theme but, again, failed miserably. This one he got a bit tired and just leant against the tree.

You can't see all 4 legs but I can say for sure he does have them!

IMG_0477_opt2.jpg

Cute! Another one for the doggie quad collection. :)

Cute! Another one for the doggie quad collection. :)

I suppose it's an easy shoot and I can guarantee anyone with a pet doesn't need much persuading to show them off!!! (y)

Gary, all three are good, love the deer, the horse in B&W works really well, and a cute dog you have too... all three fit the theme nicely too.

OK, here is my interpretation on SHOOT. A distinct lack of time and availability of subject this week mean't I was struggling until a nice walk in the New Forest et voila. Sorry it's 2 days late, I had no internet access or laptop, (left it at work), so this is the first chance I've had to post...

Try 1

IMG_0770_opt2.jpg

Try 2

IMG_0759_opt2.jpg

Things I've learnt

- Controlling DOF is important and can make or break a shot. It's not good enough just to drop it down to the smallest number and fire away, you need to really concentrate on the amount you want in focus and how OOF you want the rest of the image to be etc...

- I really need to work on my 'action' shooting. I tried to get some football action for shoot but failed - m i s e r a b l y!

Last edited:
Outtake:

My original idea was to take shots of a gun or something along those lines. However, with no access to a gun I stumbled across my old lego in the garage. A hasty set up later and I tried to re-create the legendary shot from Reservoir Dogs when they are all standing point a gun at each other...

IMG_0743_opt2.jpg

I did like this concept but time, and a bit of a lack of further inspiration, really didn't allow me to finish the shot properly. Perhaps a candidate for a later 'reshoot'...

Last edited:
Gary I really like the colours in your first shoot, sounds like this week has been a useful week for you regarding Dof.....well done I like the results.

:LOL: At the outake...great idea ....it's funny how lego characters are so apealing! :)

Thanks Sonia, I've been playing with DOF for ages but it suddenly all clicked into place this week...

I'd completely forgotten about lego but now I've found some of it I've got so many ideas about reinacting different films etc with it but I've just got to find the time!!!

Last edited:
Glad you've managed to get to grips with understanding DoF this week.
I didn't find this an inspiring topic either, but it's good that you got something positive out of it.

I'm torn between these two shots.
I prefer the overall composition in the first, but the focal point in the centre of the branch feels a bit odd to me. I'm struggling with the oof background and immediate foreground.
The focal point is better in the second one, but I'm just not finding the arrangement as dynamic as the first.

And your outtake made me smile :D
Why does everyone in this 52 except me seem to have really cool toys to play with :dummy:

Thanks Sarah, I'm glad you said that as it is exactly what I was going for!

Using my new DOF found skills I made the first one in focus just on one spot with the rest OOF but keeping the branch as a leading line and in try 2 made the whole branch in focus but as you say, a less dynamic shot on the whole. (y)

I suppose I am trying to show the real difference DOF has to a photo and what I've learnt. So I'm glad it's worked! :D

As for the lego figures, I think I've struck on something good, I just need to get some inspiration!

Right, onto Single...

I know I've said it the past few weeks but another complete lack of time this week. I'm sure the pictures I've taken have suffered and judging by the lack of posts from you all you agree the pics aren't the best but I'm soldiering on in the hope that I can get more time soon. :(

This week was wide open with any photo of just 1 item could be construed as single but I wanted to do something different. With the icelandic ash that has taken over the world I thought it might be good to take a shot based around an airport / airplane so I took myself off to Bournemouth airport but came away very uninspired and wth nothing to show for it...

I then took the dog for a walk this evening and saw in the sky a single cesna, I whipped the camera out and took this shot. I know it's not the best photo in the world but I wanted it to represent something happening in the world today that is really something different and special...It might not be the best shot but I'm sure it will probably be the only one of a plane this week :LOL:

So I give you probably the only 'single' plane in UK airspace today...

IMG_0827_opt2.JPG

Last edited:
I liked all three of your quad shots, but did like the dog best, lovely expression captured.. and am sure it has 4 legs behind the tree :)

the focus and DOF is great on both shots for 'shoot' am drawn more to the first one of these, think it has more impact with just a few of the 'tufts'?? being in focus, prefer how the branches are positioned on this one too

cant wait till my grandson is old enough to play with lego :)

single.. great for the theme and very topical.. lovely blue vivid sky and the plane is in just the right place in the frame

Hi Gary,

Catchup on comments day for me...

Quad: The horse is my favourite. I do like B&W shots though so I'm probably a bit biased. Contrasting colours for B&W are nice, but not a "must". I like the doggy shot too though, but from an artistic point, the horse wins.

Shoot: Controlling DoF at that range is tough, and you've done it weel, as well as learnt something this week. Well done! Shot #1 for me is the winner.

Single doesn't do a lot for me I'm afraid. The composition is nice, but the plain blue sky (nice though it is) doesn't add anything to the shot, and the plane is a bit too far away. Sorry for not being able to add more than that...

Ian.

Thanks Sonia, I've been playing with DOF for ages but it suddenly all clicked into place this week...

I'd completely forgotten about lego but now I've found some of it I've got so many ideas about reinacting different films etc with it but I've just got to find the time!!!

:) Look forward to seeing more!

Hehe at Single.....well done for catching the lesser spotted aircraft :)

Shoot, well done getting to grips with DOF... Not sure on which of these 2, the small number of tufts in the first one works well, but I think the blur in the foreground is a bit distracting. The other works well, but doesn't quite have the same impact...

Single. A great idea, and it's on theme... I have to agree with Ian I'm afraid, the plane is just a bit too far away for the image to work well... sorry.

Thanks guys and gals for your comments;

Michelle, you don't need an excuse for lego, just play with it and be proud. So many people have been round my house and gone 'wow lego!' and got all excited...All grown adults...

Ian & John, Thanks for the comments, I was pleased with my DOF light bulb moment and I agree on the plane, it was never going to win a photo competition but it was more for the fact that I managed to shoot a plane in the sky when there weren't supposed to be any...

Sonia, I fear that the lego re-inactments might be a new thread all of their own if I get started :LOL:

I actually prefer your lego image for shoot. A cracking idea to try and set up film re-enactments with lego. Don't cheat and get the proper starwars and Indiana Jones lego though :LOL: I need to start going to more carboot sales to look for still life props.

The branches don't really do much for me as photos go but they were a valuable learning tool for you. I think that is the point of the 52 to be honest.

I'm afraid single doesn't do much for me either, sorry. I can see what you were trying to emphasise and it works with the explanation during the current no fly zone. However in a few months time it will be a longshot of a small plane with loads of really nicely coloured blue sky.

Andy

I actually prefer your lego image for shoot. A cracking idea to try and set up film re-enactments with lego. Don't cheat and get the proper starwars and Indiana Jones lego though :LOL: I need to start going to more carboot sales to look for still life props.

The branches don't really do much for me as photos go but they were a valuable learning tool for you. I think that is the point of the 52 to be honest.

I'm afraid single doesn't do much for me either, sorry. I can see what you were trying to emphasise and it works with the explanation during the current no fly zone. However in a few months time it will be a longshot of a small plane with loads of really nicely coloured blue sky.

Andy

I did actually think of getting the star wars figures :LOL: but decided that my proper 'old school' figures would be a bit more useful for any film.

The branches are exactly what you say, nothing special in the picture department but more an exploration and explanation in DOF and I agree, that's what I hope to get out of the 52 - to learn stuff that I wouldn't necessarily have done by forcing me to take photos and learn.

As I mentioned the plane is really just a 'no time this week so it will be a place holder for this week'. I originally wanted to do a shot of a 'volcanic sunset', (well a hazy one anyway ;)), and then a shot of said plane flying across the landscape. I did see the shot earlier in the day when I didn't have my camera but when I returned the sun had gone behind clouds, (or if some papers are to be believed 'toxic killer dust' :D) and the shot you see is all I could get.

Thanks for the comments guys, hopefully normal service will be resumed for stare :thinking:

Shoot: Well done on getting control of depth of field in these, Gary. The really important thing is that you controlled the focus point etc, so a huge (y) I agree with Sarah about the composition and relative merits of the two shots.

btw - I've also spent many hours playing with dof on twigs and branches in the New Forest - there are lots to choose from and the changing seasons bring extra interest. :)

Single: This must be the most topical Single of the week! It fits the theme and the fact that the plane is tiny in a vast expanse of empty sky adds impact.

Jean

Ok, onto stare and I'm hoping if I get in a bit early this week I might get some feedback and get back onto the proper 52 trail...

So I give you, Stare...

IMG_0858_opt3.jpg

It's me in a very dark room using the remote shutter and it's red light to say it's taken the photo. Minimal photoshop, honest. Just a bit of dodge to brighten up my eyes.

- I've learnt quite a bit about lighting and how even just a really tiny led can create some useful effects
- Playing around with the time release on the camera is another good way to create lighting effect but not so easy when you are the one posing infront of the camera to stay still long enough!
- Photoshop is a wonderful thing.

Last edited:
I like the effect - reminds me of a film poster. (Though dunno what one! - but one with "devil" in it somewhere.........)

I've just stumbled across an alternative, throw away one, for 'stare'. I just flicked through some shots I took of my dog yesterday and here's one that fits the bill...

He was laying on the floor chewing on a stick while I was taking shots of the sunset and I turned round to take a few pics of him busily chewing. However, I got this stare from him saying, 'what do you want, I'm busy doing something else thanks'

IMG_0819_opt2.jpg

Damn! I seem to have copied you! I like yours better. More menacing. :confused:

Very evil looking stare gary, well done (y)

I'm not sure if the black to the right hand side adds to the picture or not. I don't dislike it at all but the shots seems even more powerful with it cropped off.

Seems to be a lot of menacing stares this week. I'm sure we are a nice bunch of people really :LOL:

Andy

Back