MKIV again, What a crock of crap.

Gary Coyle

In Memoriam
Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Well i know its early, days but from shooting 2 games my initial thoughts are the MKIV is a total bag of *****, it just will not focus and keep tracking a moving target, it just shifts to focussing on nothing, then 10 feet away, 6 inch out, 3 inch out, 1 foot out and then on nothing at all.

Ive tried all sorts of settings and even copied settings taken from a pro at sportsshooter.com and it just wont do what its supposed to do, even over a burst of say 10 frames and with AF set to focus priority the first 3 or so are well out, i would say out of 10 im lucky if it nails 2 and gets 3 which can be resized and used for web, the rest are just nowhere near good enough.

With my old MKIII and the trouble i had with that AF i was still getting a 30% keeper rate, this went up to 90-95% when i switched to the D3 and now im lucky if i get 5% with the MKIV, out of 350 frames shot today i would say ive only got 7 or 8 which are totally nailed

Even at this early stage im seriously regretting switching back to Canon, it really is a bag of crap and far worse than the MKIII

sid1.jpg

sid2.jpg

sid3.jpg

sid4.jpg

sid5.jpg

sid6.jpg

Last edited:
Really sorry to hear this :( The shots you've put up look good though.

Gary how much is this likely to cost you overall if you decide to switch back?
G.

Hi Gary any chance of posting a few from the bursts that are in your opinion out of focus for comparison? IE one's before or after these?, as these seem to have "Pop" like your D3 pics?!. Kind regards Graham.

Gary,

'scuse me if I'm reaching you to suck eggs, but have you updated the firmware to the latest version and could it be that you need more time with the camera. Tony (KIPAX) doesn't seem to have any problems and highly rates it for footy work..

Could it be because of the transition back to Canon, you haven't got used to it yet?

Just my two penneth worth...

Is it worth trying someone else's 300mm, as i'm assuming you bought a used one, its the weak link in your setup (besides being Canon i would imagine your thinking).

To my untrained eye, these are better than your last lot. They still don't seem as vibrant as you used to set them, but thats PP or in-camera adjustments i guess.

Last edited:
If the D3 was that good why did you bother changing,in addition I get about a 40% success rate with my 350D and 20 year old Canon 70-210 f4 are you serioiusly saying that a multii thousand pound pro DSLR and I assume expensive glass is way worse

Hi guys, im a little down at the mo but will try and put a series up when i get a bit more time, i dont think it could be the lens as the results are so erratic, front focus, back focus, nothing in focus.

These were all shot at f/4 so there should have been a little more leeway with DOF, Even those which are best focussed on the subject can be very soft as if its OOF.

Lens is calibrated to +18 and lens with extender to +15, it shot better at night under lights. looking back through all the 350 from today ive only got 7 which you would say the focus nailed it, 3 of these were from a 10 shot burst, 2 from a 5 shot burst and the other 2 were from different short bursts.

Some was definate user error where i clearly lost the subject during sideways tracking, i can live with that but there is simply no way when shooting a subject coming straight at me that the camera should tell me i have acheived focus then start tracking, yet when looking at them it never locked on in the first place (who was it said the camera never lies)

Just checked the firmware and its not the latest version, ill update that and see how i go.

Those from the night game looked flat but i did some testing earlier today with adjusting the picture styles and that seems to have put a little pop back into the photos

Ive got another game tomorrow if the weather doesnt mean it ets called off so ill do some more testing then, ill post up some more later if i haven't thrown myself in front of a bus first.

Hi guys, im a little down at the mo but will try and put a series up when i get a bit more time, i dont think it could be the lens as the results are so erratic, front focus, back focus, nothing in focus.

These were all shot at f/4 so there should have been a little more leeway with DOF, Even those which are best focussed on the subject can be very soft as if its OOF.

Lens is calibrated to +18 and lens with extender to +15, it shot better at night under lights. looking back through all the 350 from today ive only got 7 which you would say the focus nailed it, 3 of these were from a 10 shot burst, 2 from a 5 shot burst and the other 2 were from different short bursts.

Some was definate user error where i clearly lost the subject during sideways tracking, i can live with that but there is simply no way when shooting a subject coming straight at me that the camera should tell me i have acheived focus then start tracking, yet when looking at them it never locked on in the first place (who was it said the camera never lies)

Just checked the firmware and its not the latest version, ill update that and see how i go.

Those from the night game looked flat but i did some testing earlier today with adjusting the picture styles and that seems to have put a little pop back into the photos

Ive got another game tomorrow if the weather doesnt mean it ets called off so ill do some more testing then, ill post up some more later if i haven't thrown myself in front of a bus first.

Gary...not that I want to be the bearer of bad news...but is it possible you've got a duff one?!

When the demo ones were doing the rounds at the agencies, there were 2 out of about 10 that were gash. As in not focussing on anything...

So it's not out of the question that there might be a couple of awful examples. Possibly something to take up with Canon? Are you CPS again?

Relax dude, I have done some reading on Google and seems a lot of people are getting great results. You probably have a model needing repair (or indeed firmware updated), your lens tested or perhaps just a wee while to adjust to it?

I feel for you dude. Have you read or discussed the problem with other owners, and other than RG have you read any bad experiences?

Gary.

As has been said try updating the firmware. I am led to believe that the firware update was introduced to improve/fix focussing on objects moving straight toward the camera so it may well give you very noticable improvements.

I hope your happy soonand start getting the results you want but I must agree the images you have posted here are crackers in me eyes.

Tom N.

Just a quickie, updated the firmware and went out into the street and tracked some cars approaching me, it is very dark so ISO was at 102,000 but there doesnt seem to be any tracking/AF errors, not the best conditions to test i know but im breathing a little easier.

Just a quickie, updated the firmware and went out into the street and tracked some cars approaching me, it is very dark so ISO was at 102,000 but there doesnt seem to be any tracking/AF errors, not the best conditions to test i know but im breathing a little easier.

I take it pre firmware update this wouldnt have been possible?

Hi Gary

I read your previous post when you got the MKIV and then this one.

Not sure if your firmware update has sorted the problem but since you have spent a small fortune on the body can you not try another example from the shop you bought it from to see if yours is an isolated issue? [sorry if this is sucking eggs]

PS Best of luck in getting this sorted

Hi Gary

I read your previous post when you got the MKIV and then this one.

Not sure if your firmware update has sorted the problem but since you have spent a small fortune on the body can you not try another example from the shop you bought it from to see if yours is an isolated issue? [sorry if this is sucking eggs]

PS Best of luck in getting this sorted

Cant really take it back to where i mbought it as its on the south coast, however i can send it back but if i do i will get my money back and not a replacement.

Think i need to persevere for a while though.

Gutted for you mate, but I did find it incredible that you moved back after going to Nikon. Nothing can touch D3/D3s for focussing in my opinion, which of course is humble. Hearing horror stories about the Mark 1V and the 7D all the time - which is a complete shame as going by the PQ here, if they focussed then we are talking serious camera.

Keep your chin up. Its only a camera, but I know how frustrating it can be.

Look forward to hearing how it behaves in daylight with the firmware updated.... I cannot believe the model as a whole is as bad as you have experienced - it must either be the firmware or a dodgy copy of the camera. Best of luck because Canon shouldn't be putting their pro customers in the position you are now in.

Out of interest, when you were shooting Nikon what did you do with picture controls... leave them in Standard and tweak in post, Use Vivid, or did you have custom settings?

Thanks, Rogan

I think what he'll be needing is a nice glass of JD & a chill out then go test the new firmware in the good light ... I am totally shocked at the newer Canon offerings they do seem to be making cameras more gimicky and less functional now. This is why I have fought long hard battles with myself about getting rid of the 1Ds2, IMHO the best camera they ever made (for my purpose and my opinion only)

Im sure the FW update will sort you out man, Have a nightcap and get some sleep dude.

Mine came with the updated firmware.. Also i dont do a lot of trackin... I did however try some tracking when i forst got it.. followed a ice hockey player around the rink.. passing other players front and back and waited a while before I fired some shots and it worked OK

There is an odd time (not tracking) when it focuses on the nearest subject when i am using center point to focus on a subject further way.. this near subject can be over to the side and certainly not confused with where i am pointing... its rae but it happens

I think today was my first go in bright sunshing since i got it and its worked great.... not a lot of difference on a day like this between any camera to be honest...

the lens has a lot to answer for in quality of course... anything i shoot with my 300 is perfect.. other lenses need more PP on them and dont like high iso as much..

Wiht both my mkIIIsand other people wiht mkIIIs your not confident using one shot on a subject because it can be OOF for no reason... but I am slowly geting that confidence back with the mkIV :)

Mine came with the updated firmware.. Also i dont do a lot of trackin... I did however try some tracking when i forst got it.. followed a ice hockey player around the rink.. passing other players front and back and waited a while before I fired some shots and it worked OK

There is an odd time (not tracking) when it focuses on the nearest subject when i am using center point to focus on a subject further way.. this near subject can be over to the side and certainly not confused with where i am pointing... its rae but it happens

I think today was my first go in bright sunshing since i got it and its worked great.... not a lot of difference on a day like this between any camera to be honest...

the lens has a lot to answer for in quality of course... anything i shoot with my 300 is perfect.. other lenses need more PP on them and dont like high iso as much..

Wiht both my mkIIIsand other people wiht mkIIIs your not confident using one shot on a subject because it can be OOF for no reason... but I am slowly geting that confidence back with the mkIV :)

Hi Tony, how can you say you dont use tracking, are you saying you dont use AI Servo and you stay in one shot

If the D3 was working so well for you why get rid of it? Genuinely interested....

Hi Guy, ive answered thishundreds or times but once more for the uninitiated, i shot Canon for years but the screw up with the MKIII and Canons inability to fix my 400mm lens sent me over to the dark side

While i agree that Nikon is a superb system its not one i ever fely 100% comfortable using, i hated the crappy lens mount system (which wasn't as weather sealed as they said) the camera never fitted like a glove like Canon does, and i seriously missed the reach i ised to have with the 1.3x crop factor of the Canon.

Canon seemed to get things right with thye MKIV so the time was right to go back home.

Hi Tony, how can you say you dont use tracking, are you saying you dont use AI Servo and you stay in one shot

I didnt say that.. I said I dont do a lot of tracking and I meant it in the spirit of tracking :) .. yes aiservo but I am shooting almost as soon as i get focus rather than doing any real tracking.. this is footy, rugby ect.. i track a bit more at ice hockey and maybe a bit at basketball (coming towards me) but most of my work I am not tracking in the real sense of the word thus my comment "i dont do a lot of tracking" ... hows that? :)

Hi Guy, ive answered thishundreds or times but once more for the uninitiated, i shot Canon for years but the screw up with the MKIII and Canons inability to fix my 400mm lens sent me over to the dark side

While i agree that Nikon is a superb system its not one i ever fely 100% comfortable using, i hated the crappy lens mount system (which wasn't as weather sealed as they said) the camera never fitted like a glove like Canon does, and i seriously missed the reach i ised to have with the 1.3x crop factor of the Canon.

Canon seemed to get things right with thye MKIV so the time was right to go back home.

Fair enough - can't argue with that.

As has been said try updating the firmware. I am led to believe that the firware update was introduced to improve/fix focussing on objects moving straight toward the camera so it may well give you very noticable improvements.

Tom N.

If that true then it seems that they really rushed this one out in the hope that subsequent firmware fixes will solve any issues. Either that or they have taken the Microsoft approach of 'stuff the R&D and let customers test it and we can fix as we go along.'

Sounds like a bit of a nightmare. I know how depressing it can be.

Trying to eliminate causes - What have you got your AF assist points set to? I found best results with it set to "surrounding" rather than "all" but I'm guessing you may have tried that. Also how did you calibrate the micro-adjustment? Are you getting the same results with all your lenses or just one?

morning with the firmware update on the dog running towards me and guess what, rubbish.

Gary, sounds like you've definitely got a duff copy.

I'd give the retailer a ring and have them swap it out for you. Seems pretty crap that after all the problems they've still rushed out a body, and there are still bodies out there with problems.

Don't lose hope...this isn't supposed to be an all-round problem...it's more isolated cases (I heard figures of 1 in 1000 last week) so it just seems you're 1 in 1000!

Sounds like a bit of a nightmare. I know how depressing it can be.

Trying to eliminate causes - What have you got your AF assist points set to? I found best results with it set to "surrounding" rather than "all" but I'm guessing you may have tried that. Also how did you calibrate the micro-adjustment? Are you getting the same results with all your lenses or just one?

Currently using a 300mm f/2.8, and a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 calibrated using a method off the net and seems to be good, if i have the camera in one shot mode and the drive mode set to high, low or single shot the focus is nailed spot on, however as soon as i switch to AI Servo everything is thrown off, sometimes it wont even focus the first frame even though this can be set to priority, something just throws the AF out in AI Servo mode.

Ive tried various AF assist points and youre right about surrounding being best.

Tobers, i dont suppose you could save your settings to a CSD file and email it over to me, if i still get poor performance using your exact settings it would then seem to be a definate camera fault

Back