MKIV again, What a crock of crap.

My camera works flawlessly now, i spent all day Saturday in London sorting things out and now my camera is perfect in every respect.

That's great to hear (y)

I maybe pestering you soon to share your settings ;)

My camera works flawlessly now, i spent all day Saturday in London sorting things out and now my camera is perfect in every respect.

Awesome! Good to hear it. Mine is bloody brilliant too. The image quality is just fantastic. The only out of focus shots I had yesterday were when I forgot to press the back botton to focus the thing :D.

That's great to hear (y)

I maybe pestering you soon to share your settings ;)

Wont be any good im afraid, mine works flawlessly now because it's a D3's :LOL: :LOL:

I spent the day darn sarf delivering the MKIV to its new owner then picking up a brand new Nikon 300mm f/2.8 then back up to Leisectershire to pick up my new D3's

Wont be any good im afraid, mine works flawlessly now because it's a D3's :LOL: :LOL:

I spent the day darn sarf delivering the MKIV to its new owner then picking up a brand new Nikon 300mm f/2.8 then back up to Leisectershire to pick up my new D3's

Ouch, that's a sting in the tail :eek:

Wow!

Can't say I'm surprised with the problem you've had...but ouch. Perhaps someone ought to send Canon a link to this thread?!

:D

Wow!

Can't say I'm surprised with the problem you've had...but ouch. Perhaps someone ought to send Canon a link to this thread?!

:D

I got the MK1V sorted before i sold it, but then again it wasn't the one i sold (read on for an explanation), bit of a long story really, in my initial anger i dumped it on ebay not thinking straight, however last week the guy i originally bought it from (A canon employee) agreed to get me a replacement which turned up Thursday but to be honest the frustration with Canon had put me off so i let the sale on ebay continue.

In the mean time i had sourced a D3's from Leicester and a brand new Nikon 300mm f2.8 AF-S II, this lens is discontinued but i was fortunate enough to be pointed in the direction of a brand spanking new one still boxed and stuck on a shelf in London, apparently no one wants these since the introduction of the VR version, anyway a nice saving of £1k

Did initial testing yesterday morning at local footie and blown away by the accuracy of the AF system, used it in anger last n9ight at Elland Road for the world club challenge and everything is spot on, no need for any silly Micro AF adjustments at all, it just works and for £3,500 it bleeding well should do.

Over all a bummer of an experience but at least it hasn't cost me anything, i paid £3,500 for the MK1V and sold it for £3,400, i sold my old 300mm lens for £3,950 and only paid £2,650 for a new one so im lucky really, having said that the rear suspension packed in on my 2002 scenic about 50 miles from home so ive now got to fork out about £160 for 2 new rear struts

Last edited:
:LOL: while reading this I was wondering why your profile beneath your avatar read D3! And I still didn't predict the ending :bonk:

I really need to try out some of these D3 monsters to see what the fuss is about. Good look with it, they sound like a dream to use to be honest.

Hi Gary welcome back!, John (Rushworth) had told me you'd got a D3s, but I didn't want to spoil the party:D. Kind regards Graham

I really need to try out some of these D3 monsters to see what the fuss is about. Good look with it, they sound like a dream to use to be honest.

Very different to the Canon, but as Gary says, they just work. :)

Very different to the Canon, but as Gary says, they just work. :)

I have a D300 so wouldn't be as big a leap for me. Although, I can see myself getting a D700 (or it's successor) next year. I wouldn't really take full advantage of a D3! I do want to try out them all first though so I can make myself terribly envious of you lot

mine works flawlessly now because it's a D3's :LOL: :LOL:

pmsl.gif

Im getting tempted again by the switch, if the Nikon offer still stands i could get 2x D3, 24-70, 70-200MKII and 400 f/2.8 swapped for my Kit +2K :naughty:

i think the nikon swap deal went ages ago ?

Well having had a play with the D3'S I fully understand why Gary switched and 24 hours with it was enough to persuade me to switch, for me the D3S feels far more natural in my hand and the controls are far more intuitive

i got 9 pics published this weekend with my croc of crap :)

just think how many you'd have got with a D3S :LOL: :p

oh dear.. you ahvent even got one yet and youve started haha :) will you still talk to me at games when you get yer nikon? hahaha :)

Lol, this thread is on the express train to locksville me thinks :)

I'm certain the top end canon by default, CANT be a crop of crap.... Surely like any system there are duffers???

Gary.

Every single guy who i've spoken to who has had a Mark IV has had nothing but positive things to say about it. No issues with sharpness or AF. Surely this was just a bad copy?

Every single guy who i've spoken to who has had a Mark IV has had nothing but positive things to say about it. No issues with sharpness or AF. Surely this was just a bad copy?
Spoke to a getty shooter on Saturday night and he says they are moving lock stock and barrel over to Nikon because they have had several units which dont work as they should, the guy i spoke to had 2 of the affected models, they were then handed round to half a dozen other getty guys but they couldnt get good enough results either.

Guy i spoke to was currently using a D2Hs and a D700 until the new kit arrived.

I shot on Saturday night at high ISO and out of 450 shots i bet theres only 3-4 OOF, yesterday i shot upwards of 400 and when i viewed them last night there wasn't a single one OOF or soft

Anyone who knows the "witch" will know she has 2 MK1V's, i shot next to her on Saturday and i was amazed how many she had to bin as OOF, she was shooting tethered to her laptop and they were poor, the ones which were good were very good but i bet she got no more than 50% in focus, halfway through the second half she packed in shooting and just concentrated on trying to rescue what she already had.

To be fair, i think its partly a case of user error, faulty AF system and an over complicated AF system, i read somewhere there are a staggering 37,000 different AF combinations for the MK1V

Back