MKIV again, What a crock of crap.

cheers tobers and file recieved thanks:) ... its hard to experiment in a real enviroment.. cant risk dodgy pics on paid work.. I ahve booked myself an under 11s footy match sat morning... payment is on pic sales so theres room to have a bit of a play around and not be in too much trouble :)

andy has gone to west brom tonight and will no doubt post back.. but the setting he did have where bad..

also the picture he was posting on TP just didnt look right and when i looked he has set picture mode to 7,2,2,0 or simmilar.. mines on 3,0,0,0 so we changed his and the skintones looked much better

does anyone else change the pic mode?

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

That went well :( MBP inbuilt mouse died at half time so i left shortly after, just going through what little i got from last night now

I find it hard to understand why you have all this farting about with ,what are supposed to be,top notch cameras.I find it most odd....:shrug:

Hard to understand why a camera that has over 32,000 different combinations of AF settings needs careful setting up for each user's needs?

I've had to set up my D3's and D700's to get them working right for me. Can't see why that's unexpected.

Think it comes down to personal preference to be honest.

Some people like different settings to the normal...if you've never had those options before then it's natural that there'll be a bit of playing about and testing to see what you like.

Hard to understand why a camera that has over 32,000 different combinations of AF settings needs careful setting up for each user's needs?

No, why the cameras seem to feature so regularly on here as problematic.As well you know.

Completely new AF system that's very complex I guess. The D3s has the same one that's been out for over 2 years so is well known.

Completely new AF system that's very complex I guess. The D3s has the same one that's been out for over 2 years so is well known.

The 1DMK111 has been out over 3 years and people on here still have problems so that kicks that in the head.

Regardless of anyones fanboy position ive owned both Canon and Nikon systems and to be 100% honest the Nikon D3 and D3s just works straight out of the box, no tweaking, no AF Micro adjustments no nothing, it can be as east as selecting AV mode, Servo mode for tracking and high shutter speed and that will get you an almost 100% keeper rate in any situation

Canon should have stuck with the superb AF system thet had in the MK11 and MK11N, why fix what aint broken and its not even like people were asking for an uprated AF system.

The 1DMK111 has been out over 3 years and people on here still have problems so that kicks that in the head.

Regardless of anyones fanboy position ive owned both Canon and Nikon systems and to be 100% honest the Nikon D3 and D3s just works straight out of the box, no tweaking, no AF Micro adjustments no nothing, it can be as east as selecting AV mode, Servo mode for tracking and high shutter speed and that will get you an almost 100% keeper rate in any situation

Canon should have stuck with the superb AF system thet had in the MK11 and MK11N, why fix what aint broken and its not even like people were asking for an uprated AF system.

Glad to here you got the problem sorted.

The Bottom line is that for poor light situations Nikon currently holds the upper hand in the ISO stakes and I must confess when I saw Gary had gone back to Canon from the D3 I was most surprized as he is a really top drawer sports photographer

not that any of that helps him in his current 'plight' I have no doubt at all that the new Mk4 is a really outstanding camera but sdly he looks as though he has a 'duff' one which for him is obviously hugely dissapointing

and I dont believe for a minute that going through endless custom functions and picture styles etc is going to rectify a camera that is getting so many OOF shots

I have 3 Canon bodies the main one being a Mk2N which I think the autofocus is stunning utterly blows away my 40D and old eos 5 - but none of my canons can get anywhere near the Nikons for 'noise'

so I say good Luck Gary and hope you sort out this unpleasant situation sooner rather than later

The Bottom line is that for poor light situations Nikon currently holds the upper hand in the ISO stakes and I must confess when I saw Gary had gone back to Canon from the D3 I was most surprized as he is a really top drawer sports photographer

I really dont know what to make of that last bit to be honest..

I really dont know what to make of that last bit to be honest..

I presume that he is wondering why he needed to change, when the D3 is now cemented as a perfectly capable camera offering first class results...

I questioned it too, but the extra reach I think was given as the reason. It would seem that it has not come without some serious drawbacks, (the AF) and perhaps less serious, but still a biggy, a decrease in ISO performance? Without wanting to start any sort of fanboy war of words, I think what people are hinting at - and I would say this is currently a guess / semi uneducated, but I think people are wondering whether or not the top end Canon can match the D3s.

Not a sports tog, matters to me not. I want the D3X :D

Gary.

I know why Gary changed as does the poster I presume... It just read like you cant be a top drawer sports photogrpaher with a canon :)

I know why Gary changed as does the poster I presume... It just read like you cant be a top drawer sports photogrpaher with a canon :)

Obviously not the case. I think what has happened and I hope for Gary's sake, that he has a duff copy. If not I presume there would have been more than just Gary and Galbraith having a moan.

It should be 100% absolutely without any question, the best camera in the market for sports. No doubt about it....if it's shaky, then I would really hate to be predict what happens as a result.

Gary,

:crying: First I find out Kirk09 didnt really mean the nice things he said about my photos, now I find out I can't be a top-drawer sports tog with my big white lenses.

:D

That's plainly not the case - as the amazing shots from both Canon and Nikon shooters at the Winter Olympics show.

i think its a shame that he has had so many probs with the camera, id be really peeved too if i spent the best part of £4000 only to find that it doesnt do what it supposed to do.

also i think if he had bought a nikon and experience the same problems then it would be canon users saying oh blah blah canon is the best just as a few nikon users have said here. it would still be a shame having spent that money on a top end nikon for it to not be satifactory.

just for the record im not a fanboy of any particular make and i hope he gets in the end what he expects, a high end camera that is satisfactory to his requirements for the money he paid for it, whether it is canon or nikon is irrespective. i was accused of trolling once in the past, but i was telling a true story and sharing it with fellow forum members, maybe because i was new at the time a few of you jumped on me.

the nikon vs canon / canon vs nikon debate gets inanely boring and i wish the users of either make would lighten up a bit and enjoy their cameras without worrying about who has what. like that will ever happen (not)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

anyways, it doesnt matter which make of camera you have when shooting tonights rugby game as all of those french tries will look glorious on whichever make of camera you happen to take the shots with :LOL:

the nikon vs canon / canon vs nikon debate gets inanely boring and i wish the users of either make would lighten up a bit and enjoy their cameras without worrying about who has what. like that will ever happen (not)

well thanks for telling us all off :(.. but i actualy enjoy my canon and didnt enter this debate to hold a nikon/canon war...

Can we end this guys before the mods lock it.

nah, safe enough for now ;)

I deliberately haven't added anything to this thread but I agree with your post about the D3 just working. Not what you want to hear though :(

Funny thing, but I am ready to start taking pictures again now and I find myself asking Nikon or Canon?

I think I want a crop camera as I like using the corners. As such, a D300s or a 7D is on the cards but I really dont know where to go on this. Lenses are not an issue, as I will buy the same for each, one x 10-20mm, 1 x 50mm, 1 x 85mm, but a bit lost on the body. My head says D300s as I know nothing can top Nikon for focussing, my head says 7D due to the spec....and I love the live histogram the latter gen Canons have.

Mad times.

Last edited:
well thanks for telling us all off :(.. but i actualy enjoy my canon and didnt enter this debate to hold a nikon/canon war...

nah it wasnt a telling off! not even a boring lecture :LOL:

good for you though, enjoying your camera :) and i wasnt accusing you of anything :p

looks to me that other people dont have a problem with their said camera, if it is still not working properly then take it back as it is obviously not fit for purpouse and get a refund or replacement.

Funny thing, but I am ready to start taking pictures again now and I find myself asking Nikon or Canon?

I think I want a crop camera as I like using the corners. As such, a D300s or a 7D is on the cards but I really dont know where to go on this. Lenses are not an issue, as I will buy the same for each, one x 10-20mm, 1 x 50mm, 1 x 85mm, but a bit lost on the body. My head says D300s as I know nothing can top Nikon for focussing, my head says 7D due to the spec....and I love the live histogram the latter gen Canons have.

Mad times.

Cool!! Why not get one of each? It'll be great to have you back.

My camera works flawlessly now, i spent all day Saturday in London sorting things out and now my camera is perfect in every respect.

Back