weekly Mr.Si's 52 Week Challenge - Final Photos Added

Vertical - both images fit the theme, the second image is my favourite.

Yum - Bang on theme, them little cakes look very yummy indeed. The first image I like for the composition my only niggle is it is a little to tight in the frame.

Yummy indeed..I'll PM you my address :)

Nice detail and the WB had been mentioned. I had a quick edit and looked much better. Of the 3 it's #3 for me, but I feel there is a better crop in there.

Cheers.

Yep - I reckon you've got the best out of this one now. WB is much better, if there's something white, I will always try sampling off that as a starting point.

crop works, although leaving the bottom of the plate in work be a more conservative crop, but that leaves it quite tall and thin...

Nice cakes and nice black BG. (y)

It's time for week 27!

I wanted to do something more creative, but didn't have the opportunity. So here's something I did during my lunch hour today.

The subject is a little dirty but I did try to clean it up as best as I could. The problem with gypsum dust is it gets everywhere!

A bit of selective colouring in Lightroom and I think I quite like it. There are two or three different elements of loudness in this image.

Loud by Mr_Si, on Flickr

Last edited:
This works well.. The sc is completely un-obvious, looks just as if the orange on the ear bits a are the only color in the shot.

Diagonal lines in the surface of the table aligned well and the thin portrait crop suits.

Presume it's a db meter of some short?? No marking or other indication of the unit it's measuring though? Not your fault though if it isn't there. (y)

This works well.. The sc is completely un-obvious, looks just as if the orange on the ear bits a are the only color in the shot.

Diagonal lines in the surface of the table aligned well and the thin portrait crop suits.

Presume it's a db meter of some short?? No marking or other indication of the unit it's measuring though? Not your fault though if it isn't there. (y)

Thanks Graham,

Thanks for your comments.

Yep it's a dB meter indeed and a very accurate one too.

It was a saved measurement and so it could be entitled "woah, that was loud!"

Chests.

Hi simon, nice idea for the theme and well executed processing and compositionally wise.

On theme and an interesting take.

I feel you could have got more by changing to a different place, outside near a road or airport for example.

Cheers.

Hi Si,

Yum your edit is much better whites look great the dark back round suits it well.

Loud - I had the same idea got the DB meter out but did not like the out come , yours works much better like the addition and colour of the ear plugs adds interest

Hi Si,

Yum your edit is much better whites look great the dark back round suits it well.

Loud - I had the same idea got the DB meter out but did not like the out come , yours works much better like the addition and colour of the ear plugs adds interest

Thank you very much. I thought the orange hearing protection worked well too. Their colour is certainly loud too!

Good shot but it took me reading the comments before I understood why it was loud :oops: :$

I like the SC - it works well. Composition is strong. It's probably not going to be a wallhanger but not all shots can be! It's a technically good photo and perfectly on theme (now thicko here understands it!!) As Andy said, perhaps some contextual background would help??

Had a go at panning for the first time during lunch a couple of days ago, so decided to submit my first reshoot of the 52 challenge for week 28.

Reshoot - Action

I had been trying to get prop movement as well, so put a nice slow shutter speed thus a tiny apperture hole and low ISO. The shot is fully handheld, no monopod or anything and with the kit 18-105 lens.
I think it came out quite well for a first. I hope you think so too.

Action-Reshoot by Mr_Si, on Flickr

Vertical - #2 gets a thumbs up from me. Some lovely light

Yum - Nice set. My preference is #3 but feel the WB is a little off on all of them although the edit is far better

Loud - Spot on the theme and the use of a diagonal works as does the addition of colour with the ear protectors

Reshoot - That's really good if it was your first go at panning. The positioning in the frame giving some space for the plane to move in to is good as well

Your panning on the plane is exceptional....... given you were down at 1/10 second... you crazy man you!

I'd also say that any lack of sharpness would also be down to the effects of diffraction caused by the tiny aperture too. Obviously at ISO 100 you had nowhere else to go, unless you had some dark filters to use.

Marvellous job.

And I'm also impressed with your camel through the eye of a needle. Perfect for the theme. I had this idea for size last year, but only managed to get a pencil through my needle's eye. A pretty complicated shot to execute, and given you're not a big PS'er (are you?), this is great. (y)

Your panning on the plane is exceptional....... given you were down at 1/10 second... you crazy man you!

I'd also say that any lack of sharpness would also be down to the effects of diffraction caused by the tiny aperture too. Obviously at ISO 100 you had nowhere else to go, unless you had some dark filters to use.

Marvellous job.

And I'm also impressed with your camel through the eye of a needle. Perfect for the theme. I had this idea for size last year, but only managed to get a pencil through my needle's eye. A pretty complicated shot to execute, and given you're not a big PS'er (are you?), this is great. (y)

Thank you very much indeed. A comment like this makes it worth the while. I use gimp and am still learning it but when it's pulled off, it makes me happy. However, yes you are right, I am not a big PS'er and I am of the persuasion that a photo should be taken and not made. I am changing a little though!

The plane was probably a stroke of luck as there were a few shots I took and most were only suitable for the bin. Timing the speed of the pan was hard!

Last edited:
Vertical - #2 gets a thumbs up from me. Some lovely light

Yum - Nice set. My preference is #3 but feel the WB is a little off on all of them although the edit is far better

Loud - Spot on the theme and the use of a diagonal works as does the addition of colour with the ear protectors

Reshoot - That's really good if it was your first go at panning. The positioning in the frame giving some space for the plane to move in to is good as well

Thank you very much too. As I said in my above message, it makes it worthwhile when people like the photos; it gives a great sense of achievement so thank you.

HI Si

much prefer your edited version of YUM....:clap:

Reshoot of action...like this one ,just enough sharpness ,just enough motion blur & well exposed...good 1st try at panning (y)

Rich....good pp work matey...I did a similar shot using Woody either this year or last ( the weeks blend in to one another lately) so appreciate the work you put in to this (y)

Good work on the re shoot of action I like it.

Rich - good work other pp skills but I am struggling with the connection to the theme :thinking:.

Thanks Mandy. ☺

If you have access to a Bible, it would help your struggle but to save you the trouble I shall quote it:

"Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God"

Thanks Mandy. ☺

If you have access to a Bible, it would help your struggle but to save you the trouble I shall quote it:

"Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God"

Thank you for that, it would of taken me ages to get that as I don't have a bible as I am not religious. But with the help off the quote, I can now make the connection so thank you for pointing it out to me.

HI Si

much prefer your edited version of YUM....:clap:

Reshoot of action...like this one ,just enough sharpness ,just enough motion blur & well exposed...good 1st try at panning (y)

Rich....good pp work matey...I did a similar shot using Woody either this year or last ( the weeks blend in to one another lately) so appreciate the work you put in to this (y)

Thanks Lynne, it was a fun to do and I have enjoyed trying my hand at panning too.

Some weeks are more fun than others.

Re-shoot- Great panning shot Simon (y)

Rich- very well done on the pp, great idea (y) but I have to confess as well, I wouldn't have got the link to rich without the explanation.
As for how the image is achieved, I wouldn't know where to start :oops: :$

Re-shoot- Great panning shot Simon (y)

Rich- very well done on the pp, great idea (y) but I have to confess as well, I wouldn't have got the link to rich without the explanation.
As for how the image is achieved, I wouldn't know where to start :oops: :$

Thanks Phil!

Here's how it was done (it's basically a macro shot of a needle against a black background and a shot of a camel and a bit of layer work in GIMP).

Import the images as separate images to gimp.
For the camel one, use the "freehand select" to roughly cut around the camel and with it selected, copy it and paste it into the Needle image as a new layer.
Make sure that the camel is the top layer and the needle is the lower layer.
Arrange the layers so that the neck is in line with the needle's eye.
Use the "freehand select" option in gimp to cut around the camel's outline more finely so that it reveals the lower layer (just black)
You can always zoom in to be more accurate. It's the most time consuming bit.
Then, where the neck is, use the eraser tool to rub out (carefully) the line of the neck that is in line with one of the bits of the needle's eye so that the needle looks like it is in front.
Make sure it's all looking nice.
Upload to Flickr
Post here!

Cheers,
Si

Last edited:
Simon my only crit would be to have had the building behind maybe blurred out or a tighter crop on the pic... a detailed pic of the intricacies of the wiring etc may have worked better...

Hi Simon ...... Well we certainly rep!y on the skill of the people who make them to keep us safe :) I just did a quick zoom in on the iPad and I do agree that it would take a crop......there are some very interesting bits in there and lots of detail.

Last edited:
Hi, Nice attempt at panning for the plane shot, you have done well with the camel but it sort of needs grounding as its floating.
skill, i am sure it takes a lot of skill to design and build can only agree with above comments about the crop

Hi Simon...

Rich - clever take (in all aspects) and maybe just needs a touch more feathering in compositing the images and removing the background. Would a slight gradient background help?
Skill - definitely skillful. Good detail and focus, but I might prefer less DOF to blur out the background.

Back