My Light Painting Evolving

what time of night do you go out?

Hi there, to be honest there's no simple answer to this one other than late night. Up where I am, in the summer months it doesn't get too dark at all, even at 2-3 in the morning! So my exposures are a lot shorter just now, 1-2 minutes compared to 4-6 3 months ago at 9 in the evening. If you go to my Flickr page (just click my signature image) and for each shot you can click the camera model I use (500D) and it will give you the exif data of each one which has time taken, it could be an hour out on some shots due to the summer time change which I forgot to set.

Well I woke up this morning to find a few updates from Flickr, all to do with the 'Monumental Orb' shot, seems I hit Explore with it! I know some people think Explore is a load of rubbish etc, and I can see a shed load of rubbish on it however some great stuff does get on. Either way I'm really quite pleased about it :)

great pics, looks like a giant glow-in-the-dark ball of wool. :)

my favourite is the one where two figures are standing withthe light surrounding them

brilliant thread :)

great pics, looks like a giant glow-in-the-dark ball of wool. :)

my favourite is the one where two figures are standing withthe light surrounding them

brilliant thread :)

Thanks glad you like, one of my fave 'non orb' shots... Not that there's many without haha

do you take them on your own and set the timer to go off or have someone else spin them for you?

Bit of a mix whether I'm by myself or not, the wife des out when she's up to it (31 weeks pregnant is taking its toll) when she's there she helps with ideas, composition and opening/closing shutter, if I'm by myself I do it myself :) I spun all my own Orbs shown in this thread.

Think I'm getting withdrawals again, never made it out tonight either....

Right well had a wee shot of the new V-24 indoors last night, good fun! Really happy I got it and really can't wait to get out. As usual new toy = bad weather...

Squiggly Squiggles by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Also after *borrowing my Bro in Law's P7 I got an early Anniversary present tonight... my very own Lenser P7... my wife is awesome! :D

(*Read as 'Stealing while offshore')

Thought I would do a wee recap on how things have progressed, from the first Orb to my most top 4 'Popular' shots on Flickr at the moment.

The first:

And most Popular, which includes one of my most recent outing which hit 'Explore':

Should hopefully get out soon.. the nights are drawing in :)

Last edited:
Tried a different form of light-painting last night, lighting a small object. It was a bit harder than I thought, trying to get the colours correct and the exposure was pretty tricky was good fun though!

A bit of back story, the Mug/cup has a Light-Painted shot from The Flying Monk who I have followed for some time now, in fact he was one of the first Light-Painters I came across and intrigued me! The shot is of a small local school on the Isle of Harris which is going to be closed next year due to cost cutting and lack of pupils (6 I think at last count) I have a very soft side for this school as I worked as the IT Tech for all the schools in Harris for a number of years.. this was my favourite, not due to the readily available tea and biscuits!

Ok too much talk!

The Flying Mug by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Last edited:
Got my hands on a 5Dc for the weekend with a view to buying so have to put it through its paces light painting. I didn't have a remote to use with it so 30 seconds was all I had and with the weather being rubbish I decided to jump in the bath!

Playing in the Bath by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Shot with a Sigma 10-20mm Ef-s giving a lot of vignette, 2 red gelled strobe pops undere the bath a blue gelled Led P7 around myself. I wasn't too impressed with the camera, it's good but not as much as I would have liked, think I will stick with the 500D for the time being.

Right well had a wee shot of the new V-24 indoors last night, good fun! Really happy I got it and really can't wait to get out. As usual new toy = bad weather...

Squiggly Squiggles by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Also after *borrowing my Bro in Law's P7 I got an early Anniversary present tonight... my very own Lenser P7... my wife is awesome! :D

(*Read as 'Stealing while offshore')

I LOVE THIS !

I LOVE THIS !

Thanks, glad you like!

I haven't made it out for sometime now :( weather up this way has been pretty shocking and the new V-24 has been lying around with no use... Really going to try and get out for a spot of painting this week or I may end up going insane! :bonk:

Had a 2 hour trip out last night, been staying with the in-laws just now over in Barvas for the last few nights so thought I'd use the opportunity to go back to where it started :)

After reading Troy Paiva's new book I wanted to try a bit of a different lighting approach and to see how I have come on since March. Used a bit of Lenser P7 to light the end of the ruin from camera left and then from camera right did a slight past down the side, a few pops of 'The Purple One' gelled strobe.

Return to the Ruin by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Wool Spin from inside the main room, I wonder what the game keeper was thinking as all this was going on! (he stays in the old green bus in the background watching over the salmon river)

The Roof is on FIRE! by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

This small ruin has some great features in it, I could spend the whole night in this place! Then new P7 is great as well, a quick blast on the wall before running round the corner for a nice wee Orange Orb against the glow of sunset.

Through the Window by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Thinking of booking a ferry back to Lewis so you can give me lessons on V-24 orbs!

Finally got out last night with Mrs Sprout and a selection of lights, managed a v-24 egg and some orbish like shapes. Great fun.

Only ****ed about with the light on my iphone but i am now hooked :)

Nice first attempt, you will get very hooked... looking forward to see a thread of your own soon! (y)

Thinking of booking a ferry back to Lewis so you can give me lessons on V-24 orbs!

Finally got out last night with Mrs Sprout and a selection of lights, managed a v-24 egg and some orbish like shapes. Great fun.

Haha if you are coming up give us a shout ;) I seen a few of them on Flickr, looking very good! Not sure about yourself but my arm dies pretty much after doing one of them! (My trick is just using one arm and stretching as much as possible in every different way I can!)

I realised after the first attempt that I wasn't holding it far enough out. And yes it's a heavy torch at arms length.

I posted the better attempts last night

Ok again, it's been a while since I got to do new stuff, so got itchy feet and did a bit of a dance inside tonight.

Custom white balance in camera, converted from RAW and added watermark...

To The Point... by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Used the Nifty 50mm 1.8 for the first time doing light-painting too, it will be used again!

Again, another night inside playing around and again back to play about with the old Orb tool. Really glad I went back to it and trying to improve it, I'm now at the point of it being back in my bag to take it back out again and giving it a whirl.

I didn't get any Orb shots I was 100% happy with last night though, the only shot I got that I really liked was a totally gone wrong shot! The tool hit my head on the first spin :bonk: so walked towards the camera to shut it off and was pleasantly surprised with the result!

Flowing Colours by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

From this you can see how the LEDs are set out and the individual colours making it up. Hopefully will have some full Orbery shots with the new/old tool soon :)

Last edited:
Just read through the whole thread. Fantastic and compelling work :)

Got out for a quick trip last night with the full moon, had this little location planned for a good while, and it turned out the 3 shot had had planned turned out nothing like I had planned! :D

So on with the shots we go!

This wreck has been here for years and always wondered what it was... turns out its a little overnight moor-house or Airidh as they are called up here. Bare LED on headlights, Green LED on grass, Pink LED on front and side of 4x4 and Yellow strobe popped a few time in the back.

New Age Airidh by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Well she's due on Sunday so thought I would get the wee one started on Light-Panting.. never too early is it? ;) Bare strobe popped twice behind her and some traffic going past.

Light-Painting Baby! by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Got the 'Old' Orb tool out and spun one, couldn't have planned on having the Big Dipper above though... didn't see it while out so was a nice surprise when I got it on the big screen at home!

The Big Dipper by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Great thread, love the progress throughout.

I recently (4 weeks ago) got bitten by the light painting bug, I may do a similair style thread.

Keep up the good work!

Great work

I've tried several versions of construction to create different effects.
I'm sure many more ways of doing this are out there.

4328493960_ccfb5f74ce_z.jpg

3556720830_f08fb812f0_z.jpg

6015306729_d2d3d196d4_z.jpg

Hi Mark nice work. I really like the middle shoot the most. Could you please share on how to pull something like this off. How did you do this?:help:

I am purely amazed, I hope I learn light painting in college

Great thread, love the progress throughout.

I recently (4 weeks ago) got bitten by the light painting bug, I may do a similair style thread.

Keep up the good work!

Great! Go for it, I love looking through my thread to see how things have changed over time.

I am purely amazed, I hope I learn light painting in college

As said before I have found this highly addictive! It's great fun, again if you want to learn about light-painting, checkout Troy Paiva's book Light Painted Night Photography, it's a great read with loads of examples and settings used.

Well I have been MIA from here for a for a few weeks due to my wife and I having a baby girl 10days ago :D it has changed my life really, amazing! So haven't been able to get much light painting done. Hopefully g back out soon now the nights have drawn in, as well as getting into other forms of photography (baby stuff haha)

Anyway not strictly Light Painting but it is one of my main tools and adds loads to a good Light Painting, handheld with a massoove crop from my 55-250is, not too bad I don't think...

That's no moon! by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Congratulations on the baby girl.

Some of your shots are outstanding. The majority of them would be great shots without the light painting in them. (y)

Thanks everyone! Went out Aurora hunting last night but he was hiding :( anyway managed to get some nice shots. I have also forced myself to take non-light painting night shots more, so you will hopefully see more if my stuff elsewhere.

Gimmie Shelter
by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Just to add my blue v-24 is for sale in the classified section here :)

Last edited:
So here I am, adding my recent images and creations. As mentioned I am going to use this thread as a tool to show how I progress over the coming weeks and months when I get out to do this new fangled period of my life :D

So Last week I took the following (Already posted in thread of its own, added just to create the time-line)

1*

Aurora And The Orb by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

I hope this is not a stupid question but how to you keep from lighting yourself on fire?:thinking:

2*

Aurora Spin by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Haha yea thats a good point mate, well the sparks aren't as intense as they look in the shot. Seeing as the sparks are spread over time in the shot you don't get hit by much, think of a slightly large sparkler :D Although you do have to watch that the ground doesn't light up!

Another night out tonight, this time to the Shawbost Norse Mill and Kiln to do a bit more stuff. Here's the first of the bunch :D

Anybody Home? by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Back